PDA

View Full Version : blogging the bear

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Oso
01-15-2005, 01:49 PM
ok, so, I'll board this bandwagon of bloggage, maybe it will help.

if, that is, the mods leave all these personal blogs up..

anyway, my new routine is going to try and look like this:

Sunday

Rest, maybe forms or giving private lessons

Monday

Cardio, 30 min, interval format, stairclimber or light plyometric

Formwork

Teaching

Tuesday

Formwork

Teaching

Wednesday

Workout #1

Teaching

Thursday

Formwork

Teaching

Friday

Cardio, as Monday

Sparring

Saturday

Workout #1

We'll see how it goes.

Oso
01-15-2005, 01:55 PM
except for cardio and sparring, it was as above.

moving sparring from thursday to friday to give one more day to curriculum and we are really just working on getting ready for my school's open house on the 5th so that may not kick back in till after then.

actually, I did do about 15 minutes of interval training thursday but wasn't really enough time or intensity to count.

Wednesday's strength/endurance training was the first complete workout in 10 days due to some sort of pull in an adductor/abductor (?the strain went diagonally from my right hip to my groin?). When it went I immediately stopped and didn't do anything lower body for 10 days.

anyway, the time off set me back for sure.

lack of strict intake of protein and poor sleep left me sore today and while I felt ok and strong, it didn't show in the workout.

So, a good rest day is in store for tomorrow and I'll hit cardio early monday.

Chief Fox
01-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Is workout #1 the train for strength workout #1? I did it 3 times a week for a month once and it got kinda boring. I'm one of those people who needs more variety. Looks like you're doing a lot of form work. I bet they look great. When do you work on application? In class? Anyway, welcome to the training journal bandwagon. :D

Samurai Jack
01-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Hey Oso, what happened to the new grizzly avatar? I was sorta partial to that one.

Oso
01-15-2005, 02:07 PM
yep, that's the one.

I like it, but that's just me.

My goal is to get to where I can do it w/ no failures on a regular basis. The toss in some of his other routines for variety. The sandbag one is next on my list just cuz it sounds like you'd be cussing someone about half way through it. :D

LOL at my forms looking good...I'm one of those people who has to do forms a lot just so they look presentable. Once I get the gist of the application of the form and understand the underlying principles, I don't worry too much about maintaining comp level looks in a set....butttt, I do kung fu so they need to stay at least decent.

I am an application guy, so we do those a lot in class. I'm not in a good training space right now because I don't have any senior enough students to really train application too lively. I've given up trying to find people in this town of other disciplines who want to play. Another 6 months or so and my 17 year old who's pretty sharp will be an adult and able to decide for himself how hard he wants to play...and i'm hoping he's game for really learning how to fight.

Oso
01-15-2005, 02:10 PM
SJ, actually, that was an older one I had before the walking bear that I reinstated temporarily because of some other thread.

lol, I have a file w/ perhaps a couple dozen bear avatars.

but, I'm personally partial to the walking bear.

never liked the super fierce way bears are usually portrayed. it took me 5 years to find the art for my tatoo and another 3 years before I found the artist I trusted to replicate it on me.

I'd be happy to email you the other one, I think I still have the somewhat larger original as well.

Chief Fox
01-15-2005, 02:21 PM
I have to work really hard to maintain my forms too. I wouldn't say that any of mine are at competition level. My stances aren't low enough. Maybe one day.

I really like application too. I really enjoy sparring. I learn so much every time. I know what you're saying about not having enough people to work with. My school is just getting to a point where we have a handfull of senior students that can all work with one another. It's pretty cool.

yu shan
01-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Bottom line, you train hard. And you do understand the two-person material to our Mantis Style. You are geared for the true fighting aspects. I`m lucky to have senior students to help me with the two-person material. God knows I need it!

Oso
01-16-2005, 03:49 PM
finally got pics of the chin up bar and dip bars I built at the school

first the wall

Oso
01-16-2005, 03:50 PM
and the closeup

Toby
01-16-2005, 06:12 PM
Looks good. Hope they're strong enough to support the bear in your avatar ;). You could've added some diagonal trusses to support the weight a bit more but that might've required some welding.

Oso
01-17-2005, 11:54 AM
they will.

I'll get someone to snap me while I'm on em.

I had figured out a way to add some trusses by just adding a T and a couple of 45's back down to a second plate but went ahead w/ the simplest approach first with a size of pipe I thought would handle the load.

Oso
01-17-2005, 08:12 PM
ok, so they are flexing a bit...as is obvious by this pic, I need to lose about 20 (at least)

so, comments on form?

that's as close as I can get...tonight I could feel some upward movement still even after stalling out. I can usually get two in a row at that height...should I start adding some weight or just keep with the negatives?

Had to really talk myself into some cardio tonight. I had planned on 30 minutes of interval training doing light plyometrics in 1 minute work/rest intervals but was dreading it so I compromised and did 45 second intervals for a total of 22 1/2 minutes. I'll try for the 30 on friday.

Toby
01-17-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Oso
ok, so they are flexing a bitThat's OK as long as it doesn't rip out of the wall (which was my concern).

Originally posted by Oso
so, comments on form?Looks fine. Same as what I imagine I look like. One thing - try to keep your shoulders down. Lol @ reaching with your chin - I do the same thing on hard reps trying to get the chin over the bar.

Originally posted by Oso
should I start adding some weight or just keep with the negatives?I'd do both. Add weight and do some partials with it, then jump up and do negatives with the weight still hanging off (or add more weight). The bonus of the weight is that it feels so much easier when you remove the weight. At the start of a new PTP cycle for me, when the weight goes down again, it's 100x easier than the end of the cycle.

One more tip - try some just wearing shorts. No shoes, no shirt. Even that little bit of weight might make a difference. I find with pullups that very small amounts of weight can have a big effect.

Oso
01-17-2005, 08:34 PM
oh, it's not coming out of the wall. The 2x12 is anchored w/ 9 5/16 x 5 1/2 lags. 3 each into 3 different wall studs. The plates that the pipe is screwed in to is anchored with 5/16 x 2" lags into the board. I think the pipes themselves will fail before the lags do.

thanks for the tips.

Tonight wasn't a workout night so I was dressed for class. Usually it's compression shorts under running shorts.

oh, you don't want to see me w/o a shirt...that would be bad, very bad.:p

Toby
01-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Oso
oh, you don't want to see me w/o a shirt...that would be bad, very bad.:p :D Well, you don't have to post a pic of it.

Oso
01-17-2005, 08:41 PM
well, you know the rule "It didn't happen if you don't have video or at least a pic" If I managed '1' buck nekkid, I'd have to post a pic of it.

:D

I wonder if I'd get banned for that :confused:

Vash
01-17-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Oso
well, you know the rule "It didn't happen if you don't have video or at least a pic" If I managed '1' buck nekkid, I'd have to post a pic of it.

I wonder if I'd get banned for that :confused:

I would think.

but, let's not find out :eek: :eek: :D :( :D

One comment on your form, aside from the shoulders which I believe Toby pointed out - it kinda looked like your elbows were flaring out a bit. I like to have them going down, so I have the idea of my forearms going to brush my ribs.

Good work, BTW.

Toby
01-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Toby
try some just wearing shortsShorts. Not nekkid. Shorts. *Shudder* :D

Agree with Vash re the elbows. Some things I've read say to visualise pulling your elbows straight down instead of pulling yourself up.

Chief Fox
01-17-2005, 10:16 PM
A way to do assisted pullups is to get some stretch bands and tie each end to the bar. Pull yourself up and put your knees inside the stretch bands. Lower yourself down as the bands stretch and pull yourself up as the band assists. You can make the band shorter or longer for different amounts of assistance. You may also be able to use bicycle inner tubes.

Just a thought to get more reps in. The theory is if you can get more reps, your muscles will remember the motion and you'll be able to do more un-assisted.

Nice handy work by the way. I've got an interesting pullup bar that I made in my garage. I'll take a pic and post.

Serpent
01-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Chief Fox
A way to do assisted pullups is to get some stretch bands and tie each end to the bar. Pull yourself up and put your knees inside the stretch bands. Lower yourself down as the bands stretch and pull yourself up as the band assists. You can make the band shorter or longer for different amounts of assistance. You may also be able to use bicycle inner tubes.

And if you lose your grip, you'll have a nice face imprint in the wall! ;)

Just a thought to get more reps in. The theory is if you can get more reps, your muscles will remember the motion and you'll be able to do more un-assisted. Not exactly sure what you mean here, but if I'm reading it right, then it's very wrong. You need more strength to do one first - that means negatives, even weighted negatives. When you can do one, do that one then more negatives and keep going until you can do several full ROM reps. Your muscles don't have a memory and NMF (nuero muscular facilitation - you guys have another term for it.... I can't remember it. GTO or something) anyway, that won't help you do more necessarily unless the strength is there. If you do assisted ones and get more reps in, it will help build strength up to a point, but it's nothing to do with memory.

Just keep plugging away, big bear - you'll get there. And I want to see the first nekkid pullup come from you man. Actually, Ming Yue is at your school, huh? Ask her if she'll post a nekkid pull up pic. I'd ask her myself, but I'm not that crass.

rubthebuddha
01-17-2005, 11:59 PM
I wonder if I'd get banned for that faster than a midget transvestite hooker at the mormon tabernacle. ;)

Serpent
01-18-2005, 03:44 AM
But not Ming Yue, right?

Oso
01-18-2005, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
faster than a midget transvestite hooker at the mormon tabernacle. ;)

what if it was an edited nekkid picture? you know, blurry and all that.

c'mon, I gotta be first at something around here:(

ok, so the next pic will be of the contraption I concieved of for doing assisted pullup and dips.

Toby, I've been using the 'pull the elbows' down visualization since you said it on another thread...it helps, thanks.

I think at this point I need to work on losing the 20 lbs. that I want/need to lose anyway.

rep wise I'm doing the workout #1 thing so I've been getting a total of 18 reps in my workout. This past saturday I started doing 1-2-3-3-2-1 on the wide grip and 1-2-2-1 on the narrow and normal. So, that means 24.

Ming Yue
01-18-2005, 06:36 AM
Oso and I discussed his elbows being pointed out a little last week, but his shoulders are messed up (understatement) and it's painful if not impossible for him to pull his elbows any further into his body.

Oso, what about wide grip - any better/worse on the shoulders?

Oso
01-18-2005, 07:49 AM
I still plan on modifying the bar to have a wider grip range but probably won't happen till after th e open house.

FngSaiYuk
01-18-2005, 11:24 AM
In the meanwhile you can just take a board or anything wide enough and some rope or a long towel and drape them over your existing bars for a wider grip.
Granted the grip will be different, but it'll allow you to get wider and concentrate more on your back muscles when doing the pullups. Plus it's something different to toss in the mix, it's always good to try varying grips every so often.

Chief Fox
01-18-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
And if you lose your grip, you'll have a nice face imprint in the wall! ;)
Not exactly sure what you mean here, but if I'm reading it right, then it's very wrong. You need more strength to do one first - that means negatives, even weighted negatives. When you can do one, do that one then more negatives and keep going until you can do several full ROM reps. Your muscles don't have a memory and NMF (nuero muscular facilitation - you guys have another term for it.... I can't remember it. GTO or something) anyway, that won't help you do more necessarily unless the strength is there. If you do assisted ones and get more reps in, it will help build strength up to a point, but it's nothing to do with memory.

Just keep plugging away, big bear - you'll get there. And I want to see the first nekkid pullup come from you man. Actually, Ming Yue is at your school, huh? Ask her if she'll post a nekkid pull up pic. I'd ask her myself, but I'm not that crass.

Don't want to hijack OSO's thread but now I'm gonna have to go do research to back up what I said. I was just trying to suggest another way to do a pullup workout. I agree that negatives are best but what is wrong with doing un assisted pullups, then moving to negatives and then doing some assisted pullups? I'll start a new thread.

Oso
01-18-2005, 12:09 PM
yea, we wouldn't want any hijacking going on at KFM ;)

Serpent
01-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Chief Fox
Don't want to hijack OSO's thread but now I'm gonna have to go do research to back up what I said. I was just trying to suggest another way to do a pullup workout. I agree that negatives are best but what is wrong with doing un assisted pullups, then moving to negatives and then doing some assisted pullups? I'll start a new thread.
Sorry, didn't mean to suggested that assisted pullups were necessarily a bad thing. I was more addressing the memory thing.

Oso
01-19-2005, 10:04 AM
Just taught class last night so no major workout.

Feel good and rested today though and am really looking forward to this afternoons workout.

Soreness was very quick to dissipate from Saturdays workout...decent rest and decent food w/ somewhere around 120-130 grams of protein a day intake.

Vash
01-19-2005, 11:05 AM
That's a great sig.

Oso
01-19-2005, 11:57 AM
yea, it is. I snorted Gin and NoFear all over my computer when I read it.

Toby
01-19-2005, 06:11 PM
Two things occurred to me this morning:

(i) Pull ups are easier with a smaller bar. Mine is std barbell diameter. Yours looks 2" or so. Bigger == harder. Works your grip more though.

(ii) (Related to (i)) I like to wrap my hand like a python around the bar. Before I start I get my hand horizontal above the bar, wrap my fingers around, then pull my wrist down like my fingers are a spanner tightening on the bar, then wrap my thumb tightly over the fingers. At the end of a set when my fingers are slipping a bit, it's much harder than when the fingers are fully tight.

Oso
01-19-2005, 06:31 PM
good points.

the outside diameter of my bar is exactly 1 5/8. part of the reason I didn't go with the next size up is that it would have been 1 7/8 od.

lol, i start out that way, my hands wrapped, but tend to slip once my fat azz gets on 'em.

I've seen guys use the wrist wrap things and I guess that makes it a little easier but since I don't do a ton of other grip training I want to combine it with the pullups.

today was a crappy day at work...we have had a rash of breakins at the day school where I work and I was awakened early by a phonecall and spent the day involved with police and glass repair people.

didn't eat breakfast because I had to rush to work....didn't get to lunch till 12:30 and didn't eat between then and the workout at 4 when I had a protein bar(30g).

overall thoguht the workout was pretty good.

stacked my mats up so I could ease into the up position on the bar instead of jumping and did about a 5 second hold at the top of the ROM and about a 3 second drop. felt ok strong but actually got a little nauseated.

Toby
01-19-2005, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Oso
... since I don't do a ton of other grip training I want to combine it with the pullups.That's why it's harder - part of the effort goes towards grip. One more related thing - it'll be easier if you have something to help you hold the bar. Mine's knurled. Yours isn't. Maybe some thin grip tape? You don't wanna increase the diameter any more probably, but you might find some thin tape of some sort.

Oso
01-19-2005, 06:57 PM
right. the bar isn't too slick, the galvanized finish has lots of bumps and such.

some grip tape might help though.

I've basically become somewhat convinced that the major issue is my weight. I graduated high school at 185 and haven't grown in height since then and I'm now 240ish. 2 years ago I had gotten down to 208 from a then all time high of 233 and felt ****ing awesome.

'somebody' who will remain nameless, just cookes to **** well...

but, anyway. I'm gonna keep plugging away at the pullups, buy a scale, and start logging my weight loss vs. results on the bar.

Toby
01-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Oso
'somebody' who will remain nameless, just cookes to **** well...Roflmao! She's been known to induce cravings in me from the other side of the world ;).

:mad: Vash, get your mind out of the gutter - I meant when she posts recipes and such :p.

The weight thing will help immensely I'll bet. If you're that close now, you could probably do a full ROM pull up after losing as little as 5-10lb.

Serpent
01-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Oso
felt ok strong but actually got a little nauseated. You were holding your breath, weren't you. Silly bear!

Vash
01-19-2005, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Toby
:mad: Vash, get your mind out of the gutter - I meant when she posts recipes and such :p.

. . . Of course you were. :eek: :mad: :eek: :o :D

Oso
01-20-2005, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
You were holding your breath, weren't you. Silly bear!

actually, no. I hold for a moment at the top and then exhale through the drop.

I think it was because I was holding longer at the top than I have in the past.

or it could have been the poor food intake for the day.

Chief Fox
01-20-2005, 04:52 PM
Here's a little pullup inspiration for you. http://www.dragondoor.com/jallstadt.html

Oso
01-20-2005, 08:02 PM
good article, thanks.

makes me think about the law of diminishing returns though.

and, as such, more about losing weight.

Vash
01-20-2005, 08:28 PM
Here's the deal, or at least, my part:

After my next three weeks lifting, during which I'll be using a pullup assist machine (teh evil!) I'm starting back on bodyweight, neutral-grip pullups. By then, I'll be sure of my elbow's integrity, and will be finished with this cycle. Therefore, I'll be able to plug high-rep, BW pulls into my routine.

At 145lbs, I could do 25 supinated, pronated, and neutral.
At 200lbs, I have yet to pull a single, full-ROM, BW chin.

So, if it suits you, we'll have a "chin-off" (I would have said "pull-off," but that's far too lude, even for me) - greatest increase in reps + greatest weight lost = winner.

My bodyweight goal is 180lbs.

To you, I leave the decision of the "prize" and the duration of our contest.

Have at you!

Oso
01-20-2005, 08:32 PM
ok, you're on.

but, I'm two hyooooge margaritas into it and will reread in the AM.

you actually did make me LOL....

Oso
01-20-2005, 08:37 PM
it's 'lewd' not 'lude'

'lude' sounds short for quallude. ;)

second:

how old are you?

how long ago were you 145?

I'm 37

I haven't been 145 in 23 years.

Vash
01-20-2005, 08:44 PM
Indeed - I was thinking of "lube" and figgered it was close to lewd - at least close enough to make a second reading entertaining.

I'm currently:

I was at 145lbs:

March of '03

I wasn't implying we get you to 145 - you still need the "bearish" persona, after all. I was thinking more along the lines of establishing personal weight loss goals and coupling them with improved chinning performance to achieve a satisfactory result.

Plus, internet challenges rarely progress beyond the grunt-n-scratch phase.

Oso
01-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Plus, internet challenges rarely progress beyond the grunt-n-scratch phase.

ok, for that reason alone we need to carry this out to the end.

bodyweight loss determined by %, and I have to say, to some degree factored by age...we'll let Ford or Toby maybe figure out that aspect if they want.

Plus, video now and later. I'll be fresh and recovered Saturday morning. I will attempt a total of 6 BW pull ups and video it.

I will weigh myself at the gym tomorrow on one of the Dr. type scales.

Final arbitration to be by a triumvirate (sp?) of Ford, Toby and Iron.

ok, going to bed now...must rest so I can beat this punk of a kid who weighed maybe a buck o' five when I last weighed 145.

;)

Vash
01-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Ah, I see.

however, i have no access to a video camera :(

i can, however, get a digital camera (maybe) so i can document my chinning training.

And do whatever it is you gotta do, old man, I'm not starting BW chins for three weeks. :eek: :D

After then, I'll rework my program to include high-rep training.

Oh, it's on, big bear, it's on. :cool: :eek: :D

Vash
01-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Oh, btw, I was 2 years from conception last time you weighed 145 :eek: :( :D

Oso
01-20-2005, 08:57 PM

Toby
01-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Lol @ this hijack!

Originally posted by Oso
Final arbitration to be by a triumvirate (sp?) of Ford, Toby and Iron.I'm in. What about bodyfat % loss instead of weight loss? 'Cause as all good training forumites know muscle is heavier than fat. I could lose a tonne in short time if I stopped eating, upped HIIT sessions and stopped lifting. Continue lifting and loss is slower but I end up with more desirable body characteristics.

I'll look at my caliper charts tonight. There is provision for age in them Oso ;). I've also got info (from Ford) on multiple bodyfat measuring sites. You'd both need calipers and someone to help measure some of the sites.

Oso
01-21-2005, 05:16 AM
naw, not really a hijack since the point of these blogs is motivation.

ok, I'll get some calipers. any immediate links to sources for some cheap ones?

the only time I've measured body fat % was when I went from 233 to 208. That occured in about 7 months time, btw. I started at about 22% but was still 18% at 208.

Ming Yue
01-21-2005, 06:52 AM
Oso,
you can borrow my BF% scale if you want.

also on Saturday lets actually measure with a tape, your starting distance from a dead hang to maximum lift. Photo documentation optional. :)

Good Luck boys!

Oso
01-21-2005, 07:06 AM
deal.

Oso
01-21-2005, 10:47 AM
Stairmaster
30 min
Fatburner Plus program
Level 8
2.78 miles

never even got really winded, will definitely set the level higher monday.

Vash
01-21-2005, 11:10 AM
I'll try to get a hold of some calipers for myself. Barring that, I can go to the overpriced gym that refuses to hire me and get a full body . . . whatever it is they do . . . done.

Ming Yue
01-21-2005, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Vash
I'll try to get a hold of some calipers for myself. Barring that, I can go to the overpriced gym that refuses to hire me and get a full body . . . whatever it is they do . . . done.

just make sure it's not a "wax".

;)

Vash
01-21-2005, 11:18 AM
Indeed.

I mean, I'm not afraid of the wax-straight-offa-the-candle kinda thing, so long as no hairs are uprooted.

Well, most of them, anyway.

Oso
01-21-2005, 11:38 AM
I mean, I'm not afraid of the wax-straight-offa-the-candle kinda thing, so long as no hairs are uprooted.

{shakes head}

Vash
01-21-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Oso
{shakes head}

Hey, at least I have enough non-hairy hairy on my beautiful body to allow for such play.

Oso
01-21-2005, 11:53 AM
oh, I was just shaking my head at the sideways attempt to get MY to treat you like the dirty little boy you are.

;)

MoreMisfortune
01-21-2005, 05:00 PM
i must have weighted 145 when i was like 10 years old

you suckas

Serpent
01-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Your balls alone must weigh about 145 now.

MoreMisfortune
01-21-2005, 07:36 PM
144 now cos i just....
nevermind

i do have record of how much i weighted at the age of 14
it was 246
the force was strong in me

MoreMisfortune
01-21-2005, 07:53 PM
further down the spiral

another records
at the age of 16/17 was around 275/280
at the age of 18 hit max at 295
neat

Vash
01-21-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Oso
oh, I was just shaking my head at the sideways attempt to get MY to treat you like the dirty little boy you are.

;)

Ah, I see.

To be honest, I could do without the dirty treatment so long as I could score a smile and a "hi."

Oh, i've also discovered an amazing power I have (this is completely OT, by the by): Whenever I think to approach a woman with whom I'd like to flirt, I turn beat-fukcing-red and start to stutter like Porky Pig on Crack Cocaine.

See, there's this Russian girl in one of my classes - she's foreign, so she doesn't know my foot-in-mouth reputation. So, I figger I gotta shot.

Oso
01-22-2005, 05:49 AM
lol, it doesn't get better w/ age, I thought it would but I still do the same thing.

back on-topic:

some changes:

cardio at least every other day if not more often. i'll mix it up between the stairclimber and plyometrics. depends on when I can get to the gym....kinda tough when I have to be at my school 5 days a week.

gonna stop working legs otherwise.

I weighed myself yesterday for the first time since the fall of last year. I weighed 246. Last fall I weighed 243. So, in this time pants have gotten looser at the waist band and I have to pull the belt in another notch but I've apparently gained weight. So, i feel like i need to stop the strength workout and just concentrate on cardio and a maintenance program for everything else but pullups.

so, this morning I plan on 30 minutes of light plyos, full pullup routine, abs and something like 3x25 pushups.

Vash
01-22-2005, 08:08 AM
Bah. Chances are, that 3lbs is muscle - more muscle you have, less fat you're likely to maintain. If I were you, I would continue with the strength workouts.

Don't be overly occupied with that number on the scale - it's a macromeasurement. You need to focus on the micro - the lost inches, the looser pants.

Oh, bet you have a bit more energy, too.

Good luck either way, though.

Ming Yue
01-22-2005, 11:45 AM
wise words.

:)

Oso
01-23-2005, 04:18 PM
here's how I feel about that:

At my age and size (37 & 244 today) I don't think I need to be adding mass. I want to lose the fat and get down to 210. Then I'll re-evaluate my goals.

Yesterday, in the order i did them:

Attempted Pullup Max, normal grip, from dead hang.

4 attempts before failure, caught on film (Thanks, MY). On each one I got a little less high and on the 4th i probably only raised my body 3-4 inches.

Then, Full Pullup routine, concentric.

Normal Grip Pullup 1-2-3--3-2-1
Narrow Grip Pullup 1-2--2-1
Normal Grip Chin Up 1-2--2-1

Pushups, 4 sets, 1 minute between sets
1x25
1x10
1x11
1x10
sets 2,3,4 were at failure

Then I did my Light Plyometric interval routine. This is some BS I made up, here's how it goes:

1 minute work/rest intervals

JJ's
Hindu's
Bootstrappers
Pushups
Crunches
Leg Lifts
Full Situps
Hopping back and forth across a line
Hopping side to side across a line
Hopping clockwise around a square
Hopping counterclockwise around a square
Zig Zag hopping across a sqare
Hopping horse to crane, alternating legs on the crane
Hopping horse to cross stance, alternating
Hopping horse to circle entering stance, alternating

I think I overdid it yesterday a bit. on the last one of the above something popped in my left achilles. I was going pretty light on the hopping not wanting to injure something but I guess I wasn't going light enough or I just needed a day off yesterday. took one today.

Oso
01-25-2005, 07:42 AM
I couldn't leave work due to a crisis there so i missed my workout.

due to crisis, I have the day off.

heading to gym shortly then lunch w/ my jujitsu teacher.

Oso
01-26-2005, 09:01 AM
changed stairclimber routine a bit.

only went for 24 minutes instead of 30 but used the 'speed' program which is sorta an interval type setting and increased the level from 8 to 10.

my goal is to get my 3 mile down to 24 minutes.

I went 2.58 miles in 24 minutes on level 10.

I know I need to be level 12 to hit my goal but will do level 10 one more time then level 11 twice and then level 12.

did pullups at the gym as well. tried unassisted on one of their bars which was about the same diameter as the one at my school.

tried it wide grip and didn't get anywhere as high as I have been at normal. ??? does wide grip lessen the reliance on secondary muscles and put more emphasis on the lats?

so, attempted two pulls, full body weight.

then went to the assisted machine

started w/ a 30 pound let off since that is my intended weight loss.

did 2 reps at 30,40,50,60 and 70 pound let off w/ 30 second rests.

the first rep of each was about what I've been getting at the school with the second somewhat less of that.

held for a 5 count at the top of each one.

Vash
01-26-2005, 10:35 AM
Wide-grip pullups do nothing special for the lats - they do, however, place unnecessary stresses on the shoulders.

Good going, by the by. :)

rubthebuddha
01-26-2005, 10:38 AM
and they shorten the ROM for the pullup, as the arms start much lower to begin with.

Oso
01-26-2005, 10:43 AM
I was hoping to be more succesful with the wider grip.

It did indeed put more strain on the shoulder.

I think what I'm going to do at the gym is find out at what let off I can do 6 full ROM and go for 3 sets of 6 and try to decrease the let off every two weeks or something.

Thanks.

Mo Lung
01-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Best pull up grip width is one hand's width wider than your shoulders, no more.

Oso
01-26-2005, 08:45 PM
my usual grip is just a bit wider...circumstantial at this point as I min/maxed pipe sizes. see pics above. so, i'm working ok.

very, very crappy day fighting with girlfriend...I know it shouldn't bleed over to my training but all I did today, besides teach class, was:

regular pullup routine from workout #1, as negatives w/ 7 count holds at top and a 2-3 count drop.

3x4 band assisted pullups, 1 minute rests

4x15 pushups, 1 minute rests.

Mo Lung
01-26-2005, 09:50 PM
That's still a workout. Real life always happens. And don't push too hard to get these pullups happening. Take a week off soon and you'll make new gains when you go back to it.

Oso
01-31-2005, 06:19 AM
basically took the weekend off.

Did some pullups yesterday

Atttempted a set of 6. I think my first one was a little closer to the top and the other 5 were all incrementally lower. I held for 10 at the top of each rep.

Then I took a 2 minute rest and then did 4x2 w/ 5 second holds at the top and 1 minute rests.

Had a work weekend at the school to finish getting it ready for the open house. It looks sweeet. I'll post a pic. Lot's of help from my students, too.

I'm planning on taking the week off from strength and just do cardio. I'll be doing demos saturday most of the day and want to be good and fresh.

oh, and I screwed my elbow up training w/ my teachers early in Jan. It clicks and I can't make a fist and rotate it w/o much pain. There is a bruise that is staying fresh and has for like 3 weeks now. I'm gonna take stock out on my ortho...

norther practitioner
01-31-2005, 12:08 PM
good luck with the elbow....

Oso
02-01-2005, 10:00 AM
had a flashback last night while doing some staff work.

this elbow thing may not be an impact injury.

last year when I took my canoe out on my first, and only, Class V run my elbow was sore for a week or so in exactly the same spot it is now. I felt then it was from executing what's called 'cross stroke'

http://www.naturecompass.org/wvpd/basics/strokes.html

in this new form i'm learning there are some moves that approximate that ROM. So, I'm thinking I tweaked it with that as well as getting kicked in it.

taking the week off to concentrate on forms and other demo stuff for my open house...frankly just don't have the time with trying to get organized for it all.

norther practitioner
02-01-2005, 10:03 AM
That can be super frustrating.. I'm sure it'll all go well.:D

good luck man.

Oso
02-01-2005, 11:25 AM
This is me, circa 1984. Been training 1 1/2 - 2 years at this point.
I make no apologies for hair style or clothing, or lack there of...

norther practitioner
02-01-2005, 11:28 AM
dude, you need a worksafe warning on that one...

nice shorts....

Oso
02-01-2005, 11:34 AM
:D naw, it's safe as warm apple pie.

till they ripped I wore those shorts to train in most of the time during the summer.

Mo Lung
02-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Did something in the woods just give you a scare?

Oso
02-01-2005, 06:37 PM
no..when i started wearing them I was about 145.
In the picture I think I'm around 160.
I graduated HS at 185.

in other words...they shrunk ;)

Oso
02-09-2005, 10:40 PM
ok, demo is over, but got another GD sinus infection at the end of last week. 3rd day of anti-biotics today so did a little bit.

Pushups 4x15
Pullups, normal 2x3
Pullups, narrow 2x3
Chin ups, narrow 2x3

abs

PT exercises for shoulder

4 minutes in horse
2 minutes in Hill Climbing, each leg.

BONUS

pic of demo throw from this weekends open house.

Oso
02-09-2005, 10:41 PM
and the finish

rubthebuddha
02-09-2005, 11:18 PM
SAFE!

how's the shoulder doing, anyway?

Oso
02-10-2005, 05:12 AM
it's still screwed. trying to deal with it till after the mantis symposium in april at the GL Tourney. thanks.

Oso
02-13-2005, 06:30 PM
Thursday

45 minutes of forms work.

Chuji Chuen x 5
Bung Bu x 20

Normal class warmup

8 x 2 minute rounds of sparring w/ 1 minute rests.
Granted, just my students but I intentionally played a fast game w/ light contact to get as much of a cardio workout as I could.

Friday

30 minutes forms work -- started recapturing White Ape Steals the Peach. Learned it last spring and lost it due to other, mandatory, sets that needed to be learned.

Sparring Class

Opened with the 30 minute interval/plyo routine outlined upthread and recapped heunh:

JJ's
Hindu's
Bootstrappers
Pushups
Crunches
Leg Lifts
Full Situps
Hopping back and forth across a line
Hopping side to side across a line
Hopping clockwise around a square
Hopping counterclockwise around a square
Zig Zag hopping across a sqare
Hopping horse to crane, alternating legs on the crane
Hopping horse to cross stance, alternating
Hopping horse to circle entering stance, alternating

then drills for an hour

then

3 x 2 minute sparring rounds.

I know not too much but only had one student show up for the sparring class.

Saturday

3 x 20 pushups
1 x 18 pushups (failed)
(1 minute rests)

1 x 6 normal pullup
1 min rest
1 x 6 narrow pullup
1 min rest
1 x 6 normal chin up

as normal for now, i'm lacking like an inch of completing a full ROM on the first one and degrade through the remaining 5.

then I did my PT work for my shoulder

delt raises: a set of 10 each direction off of the shoulder for a total of 50. 3 x 50, 1 min rests

Then the rotator cuff thing where you lie on your side and hinge the shoulder off your side. 3 x 10 each side, alternating, no timed rests

Then a rubber band thing that also works on rotator cuff.
3 x 30 forward and backward, alternating, no timed rests

Legs

my legs were pretty much toast from thursday and friday, I could feel some minor tearing feeling in the hams. so, I did a super light leg warmup more than an actual workout.

10 BW squats
10 Bootstrappers
10 lunges, each leg

I did the above as a set, 3 times w/ 1 min rests between sets.

1 hour of forms work.

Sunday

1 hour forms work.

Oso
02-13-2005, 07:06 PM
btw, down to 241.

but maybe really a bit less than that as I just weighed at 9pm EST and just ate 1/2 a cheese pizza and a beer.

Oso
02-15-2005, 08:28 AM
Monday

Pretty light today. Needed to go to gym and get on the stairs but realized I had forgotten about feeding MY's cats while she is on vacation and because I had also forgotten Sunday, I had to go feed them twice...so, no cardio.

I'm getting bored with the PT program so I tried a little something different for my shoulders. Simply, I held my arms straight out to my sides, palms down and did small circles forward and backwards and then medium circles forward and backwards. I did a total of two minutes w/o rest. 30 seconds each.

Then I did a set up normal grip pullups

6 x 3
1 min rests.

Pushups
1x20
1x20
1x15
1x15
1 min rests

my shoulders were screaming at me at this point, I guess from the circles I did first.

that was it as I then gave a private lesson to a student before class.

Chief Fox
02-15-2005, 09:05 AM
Hi Oso, I see that you have a shoulder problem. I have a shoulder problem too. It started last summer. I went to a doctor who recommended physical therapy. I started to do some stuff on my own and then stumbled across a different type of therapy. It's called Active Release Therapy or ART. In most cases it is performed by a chiropractor who is certified in the technique.

Here's how it works. The doc checks out your shoulder for range of movement and I would describe the level of pain with each movement. He would then apply some resistance that I would have to push against in order to pinpoint the area where the problem is. He would then dig his fingers down in between muscles and tendons and apply pressure to "the spot". Then he would have me move my arm through a range of motion. This was extremely painful but in my opinion very helpful. The idea is to loosen up scar tissue that has developed. I went to about 8 treatments and went from barely being able to raise my left arm to being able to put my bicep to my ear.

I've also been doing three stretches for my shoulders.
1. With your hands down at your sides, put your hands behind your back and lace your finger together. While standing straight up slowly riase your arms up behind you. The idea is to get your arms parallel with the ground while you're still standing straight up.
2. With a broom stick. Hold the broom stick in front of you with your hands at either end. While keeping your arms straight. Raise your arms up and over your head and then down behind you. Once you're comfortable with this, move your hands closer together and repeat.
3. Again with the broom stick. Hold broom stick in front of you. One of your palms should be facing down and the other should be facing up while the broomstick is parallel to the ground. Cross your arms. The palm facing up will go over the top and eventually be facing down. The palm facing down will go underneath and eventually will be facing up.

Another that I've recently started in addition to normal rotator cuff exercises is clubbell training. I made my own clubbells out of plastic bats and sand. I've been doing the exercises for a few weeks and have noticed and increase in stability.

I also swim for shoulder strength.

I'm not sure any of this helps. But this is what I've been doing and it has helped me. Just thought I would share.

Oso
02-15-2005, 09:53 AM
CF, thanks for the tip. I'd looked into ART and there are people here in town that offer it.

I have a bone spur and 3 small tears. The Dr didn't want to do surgery and wanted me to do PT. I finished the PT but haven't gone back to the doctor because if it is going to indeed be surgery I need to wait till after the end of April.

I have full ROM and basic strength is good (the doctor literally hung off my arm when he was checking strength).

thanks

Chief Fox
02-15-2005, 10:19 AM
Sounds like we've got two completely different issues. Sorry about my long post. I'm sure we both know that shoulder problems suck. Hang in there man.

Oso
02-24-2005, 02:57 PM
CF, no worries.

Sorry about the late response...not too much time to post at the moment.

I haven't been totally slacking off. I'll post details later.

Lost another pound or so, down to 240.

Actually went on a walk the other day, fast paced, probably not quite 4 miles but the breath and heartbeat were somewhat elevated. not counting it as a workout...just better than average expenditure of calories...saw a bunch of mountain bikers so I'm a little jacked about getting mine tuned up for the spring/summer.

Oso
03-01-2005, 07:39 AM
ok, so I've pretty much reverted to all cardio as I try to lose weight.
Still working pull ups but not really going hard at it, just trying to keep the gains I've made. Hoping that with 20 pounds of weight loss, I'll actaully get my one.

can't get to the gym as that is becoming just another stop in the day that I can't make.

going in to the school early enough get the interval workout I outlined above in before classes.

been trying to count and log what I've been acheiving in the 1 minute work periods.

JJ's are single count
Squats, I'm trying to float between 1/4 down and 3/4 down
Pushups are on the fists. First # is on toes, second is on knees

On each day I'm also doing a pull up routine w/ a total of 18 to 27 pull ups.
I'm actually a bit closer to full ROM but still lacking that last little bit.

activity......2-18-05......2-23-05......2-25-05......2-28-05
JJ's..............125..............129...........1 30.........Did Not Count
Squats.........64.................72............73 ...........DNC
Bstrappers...52.................43............54.. .........DNC
Pushups.......26/3.............28/3.........30/3........33/5
Crunch..........67................63............68 ..........DNC
LegLift..........47................40............3 8...........DNC
FullSitUp.......25................26............27 ...........DNC
BackForth....DNC..............108.........104..... .....DNC
SideSide......DNC..............78...........84.... ........DNC
CWSquare....32...............36............33..... .......DNC
CCWSqare...34................34............33..... .....DNC
DiagSqure....32................34............35... ......DNC
Horse/Crane...DNC....................................... .......
Horse/Cross....DNC...................................... ........
Horse/JadeRing....DNC................................... ......

**edit**
I'm going to do wed and fri of this week with 1/1 work/rest intervals and then next monday I'm going to go ahead and jump to 2/1.
**/edit**

Also got 2x2 minute rounds of sparring on 2-25
not really anything to speak of but I let my two students who were there for sparring class wale on each other mostly and just did a round against each of them once they were tired :D

on 2-19 I did about 90 minutes of forms work.
on 2-27 I did 8 minutes of stance training and an hour of forms work.

No other real good personal training between 2-18 and 2-28. I'm working on a couple of forms so I try to run them 3-5 times each day before I teach but slowish as I'm still committing them to memory.

Oso
03-15-2005, 12:03 PM
ok, 2 minute runs of the plyo's sucked...killed my knees for a week. OD'd on Glucosamine and back at it.

so reconfigured the program a bit and did this last night.

1 minute - Jumping Jacks
2 Pistols each leg, assisted
10 BW Squats
10 Bootstrappers
5 Lunges each leg
3 Pullups
10 Pushups
20 crunches
10 Leg lifts
10 Full sit ups
1 minute Rest

Did 9 cycles of that in 45 minutes.
Varied the minute of cardio between the various light plyo stuff listed up thread.
With 9 minutes of plyo and 9 minutes of rest it was taking about 3 minutes to run through the other stuff.

so, 4 minutes of work and 1 minute rest.
did everything as fast as possible while quickly moving between exercises

*edit* oh, I felt like I was going to puke at cycle 4 and 5 but got over it by 6.

so far today my knees feel good and I have an all over sense of fatigue.

will do this again wednesday and friday though friday's will be just 30 minutes as the warm up for sparring class.

still holding at 240

btw, I think I finally hit a full ROM pull up but no witnesses or video.

Vash
03-16-2005, 08:10 AM
btw, I think I finally hit a full ROM pull up but no witnesses or video.

Didn't happen, then. :eek: :D :eek: :cool:

Oso
03-16-2005, 10:14 AM
yea, I know. Had Ming watch me last night but didn't get it buy the whiskers on my chin. I still think I have a form issue but can't figure out how to change it.

I'll make another attempt next monday after two days of rest over the weekend.

Monday was good, 9 sets of 3 pullups but with like 4 minute gaps. The long 'rests' between the sets let me get all 3 above 90% ROM. This felt better to me than with shorter breaks when I drop like 50% on the last rep.

Oso
03-21-2005, 08:40 AM
3-18-05 Friday

6 Cycles of the above listed set.

it was about 28-29 minutes total but I'm feeling pretty good overall.

3-19-05 Saturday

1 hour of forms work.

3-20-05

2 hours flatwater paddling. I paddled very consistantly, no floating. Kept a sweatshirt on so I had a mild sweat going the whole time.

Oso
03-21-2005, 07:18 PM
ok, didn't really get it. still close but I get fuggin locked, still feel like i got more strength but somethings not there.

I have a clip of my set of 4 that i started the night off with. I'll see if Ming has time to post it to my website...otherwise I could send it to anyone who wants it...it's a bit over 7 megs...

my camera person didn't quite get the camera started in time so it starts just as I'm reaching the top of the first pullup. you'll have to trust that I started from a full hang.

also, next monday, I'm going to get the shot from behind instead of the side.

work is busy this week so I'm barely going to get the time for training before class.

was only able to hit the cycle 4 times, but I shaved some time off so i got 4 cycles in 19 minutes...that's about 15 seconds shorter a cycle.

to recap:

1 minute - cardio/light plyometric exercises

2 Pistols each leg, assisted
10 BW Squats
10 Bootstrappers
5 Lunges each leg
3 Pullups
10 Pushups
20 crunches
10 Leg lifts
10 Full sit ups

1 minute Rest

REPEAT

It's basically been taking about 3 minutes to run through the circuit but I aim to trim the time down.

my thought is to set my interval timer at 1 minute for the cardio/plyo set and then 4 minutes for the other work and rest...the faster I get the work done...the longer i get to rest before starting it all over again...I'm thinking I'll start with 4 minutes and then shave 5 seconds off every week...hopefully being able to get to a point where I'm not resting at all.

also, on days I can get more than 4-6 cycles I'm going to switch up the abs some on later cycles.

I know this doesn't really seem like much but, again, the goal is something working the whole body lightly for cardio effect (affect?)

done as fast as i can run through all the exercises, I'm sweating my ass off...well, hopefully my gut... :o

Oso
03-28-2005, 07:52 PM
didn't get to work out again till friday of last week due to work demands.

Did 5 cycles in 27 minutes friday night..cutting 2 minutes off the last time i did 5 cycles.

Forms work saturday morning.

Nada on sunday.

Did 7 cycles tonight...felt like i was picking up the pace though I wasn't timing everything...got to feeling pukey at the 5th cycle and continued to get worse so i stopped after the 7th...sorry, I know almost puking doesn't count but just didn't feel like going there.

Oso
04-06-2005, 09:01 AM
Monday

Tried some dumb **** I shouldn't a tried since I couldn't do one very well back in the day: A front flip. Didn't fully rotate and missed my breakfall landing on my right hip and butt cheek. Stupid part was trying it again.....still didn't get all the way over but broke the fall better.

{limps away to find some Aleve.....}

switching back to negatives on the pullups. I've seen some gain over the last few weeks in that my 2nd and 3rd rep are nearly the same as my first rep instead of 75% and 50%. Just can't break over the top for some reason.

Monday, before flipping out, I did 6x15 second hangs at the top of the ROM and then a slow release at the end. 30 second rests in between.

Question: Is static hanging like that going to do me as much good as doing sets of negatives? I'm definitely a bit sore from it and I haven't been sore from pullups in a couple of weeks.

Also did 30 minutes of cardio.

fa_jing
04-06-2005, 10:41 AM
Sorry I haven't read through your log, but do you deadlift heavy? I found that this lat work gave me more explosivity in my pullups. Now, I could do pullups to start with. But if your problem is getting over the top then this might help.

Oso
04-06-2005, 11:19 AM
I haven't deadlifted since high school, and the two hernias. The first one popped while deadlifting my senior year in hs (that was 20 years ago, heh, this month even).

I've done some heaving leg pressing (630 pounds, inclined leg press, no body weight) w/o any issue but have stayed away from dead lifts.

i'm sitting here trying to figure out how the lats play into a DL though?????

fa_jing
04-07-2005, 11:01 AM
It's in the upper part of the lift. Well I'm only speaking of a conventional deadlift, a sumo deadlift doesn't incorporate much lats. In the conventional deadlift, by the time the bar passes your knees, your legs are almost straight, and your back is at an angle to your thighs. Your arms are at an angle to your back, forming a triangle between your arms, back, and thighs. Like in this picture of me at the sticking point. http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2595
Except that of course your back shouldn't be rounded like that. OK, so can you see that if you could freeze my upper back and arms in that position and straighten my hips, my hands would be like 8-10 inches away from my body.
That's the range of motion through which you are pulling with your lats. Your traps fire too and the traps and lats are kinda connected. Because of the heavy weight, you feel it even though the range of motion is short. It hasn't done much for my pullups endurance but it has done alot for the explosivity. Oh, and the range of motion is more similar to the top portion of a pullup then to the bottom portion, where your elbows are far away from your body.

fa_jing
04-07-2005, 11:07 AM
If you wanted to try it, you could do a rack pull from this position and it might not bother your back. One thing though: most people do rack pulls with their legs bent and their backs nearly vertical. This is not the position that you arrive at midway through the lift when you pull from the floor. The correct way to do it is to bend at the hip with the back straight, and the knees almost but not quite locked. I think a person of your size would need to use at least 315 lbs. to feel this. I bet you can do it.

Oso
04-13-2005, 04:13 AM
Last Wed: nothing, had to stay later at work.

Friday - did about 30 minutes of light sparring with a student then visited my jujitsu teachers school to participate in their karate kumite class.

Class opened w/ 5 minutes of jumping rope.
We then went through about 15 minutes of different plyometric drills. First w/ feet only then adding punching in combination w/ the movement.

The next hour or so was all partner drills at a decent enough pace to keep the shirt soaked.

Saturday: Planted 36 plants on a 30deg bank. A bit over 2 hours of kneeling and digging. :D

Sunday: off

Monday: Forms for about 40 minutes. The Mantis Quarterly Symposium is in two weeks so I'm going to be spending my spare time polishing the forms up so I don't 'look' like I suck.

I'm going to do something today like:

5 x 'form'
a set of 15-20 pushups
a set of 3-5 pullups
rest
repeat

I've got 7 forms to work on.

Oso
04-13-2005, 07:36 PM
lol, actually followed through with what I said I was going to do...time permitting.

Started with the Tan Tui's. We do sets of movements from the Tan Tui forms as individual roads. I've got about 40' of space to run a road in.

I warmed up with Tan Tui 1-5. I get about 10 reps in the 40'.

then:

1x3 pullups
1x20 pushups
2x20 obliques type crunches, each side.

1 min rest

5 x Xiao Si Shou

This is a short set only taking about 15 sec to do. I know this one very well so I blasted it taking 15 second rests between.

1x3 pullups
1x20 pushups
40 crunches

1 min rest

5 x Ba Bu Lien Wa
The next set in our style. About 30 seconds to perform. 30 second rests between.

1x3 pullups
1x20 pushups
40 parallel leg lifts

1 min rest

5 x Chuji Chuen
The 3rd set. About a minute to perform. 1 minute rests between.

1x3 pullups
1x20 pushups
40 full situps

5 x Qi Shou
The 4th set. Only about a 30 second set so just 30 second rests.

{was running out of time before kids class so I didn't do anymore of the other stuff}

5 x Bung Bu
This is about a 1:10 - 1:15 set but I only took the remainder of the second minute as a rest.

To complete what I know of the Pong Lai corpus I need to do 2 more forms...one I estimate to be about a 1:45 set...the other probably just 30 seconds.

So, given time I'll continue over the next two weeks to do all of them with the pullups, pushups and abs between sets of forms. But, I'll drop them in favor of doing the sets as that needs to be the focus for the next two weeks.

Oso
04-26-2005, 08:04 PM
been doing nothing but forms the last two weeks

got back into a straight cardio thing today.

I was impressed two weeks ago with how hard it was to jump rope for 5 minutes straight....basically I sucked at it.

So, I bought a jump rope at the end of last week and played with it a bit.

Tonight, before class I did the following:

4 x 3 min rounds of jump roping.
--I tried to run 3 min straight but failed at about 1:30...took me about 15
--second to get back into it and I made it to the end of the round, albeit slowly
--So, on the subsequent rounds I set my timer to sound 15 sec intervals within rounds
--I went through the next 3 rounds fine, roping/walking.
--got a great sweat going and was very winded.

Conclusion: JUMP ROPING IS HARD

3 minute rest after last round of roping

6 x 15 second negative pull up hangs w/ 30 second rests

1 min rest

5 x 20 pushups - 30 sec rests

1 min rest

4 x 20 BW sqats - 15 sec rests

1 min rest

4 x 15 bootstrappers - 15 second rests

1 min rest

4 x 20 obliques, Rt side - 15 sec rests

4 x 20 obliques, Lt side - 15 sec rests

4 x 20 crunches - 15 sec rests

3 x 10 Leg Lifts - 15 sec rests (stopped because my lower back was kiling me, I think I strained it pretty bad during last weekends landscaping)

5 x 8 Full Sit ups - 15 sec rests

Done

Taught Adult class. Ming Yue taught kids for me tonight...bless her.

Made burrito filling tonight:

2 chicken breasts
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 red onion
---fried up w/ garlic and chili powder--

SAUCE:

some Mole
some chicken broth
some hot sauce

Yummy!

Starchaser107
04-26-2005, 11:48 PM
Jumping Rope is hard huh,
I figure that's why all the boxers do it...or at least that's what they seem to be doing as part of thier training regimen in the movies..that and running....
plus boxing drills... :D

Oso
04-27-2005, 03:52 AM
hard as hell for my fat azz.

Pork Chop
04-27-2005, 05:24 AM
Jumping rope, on just a slightly smaller scale than running, can really make my knees scream- my achilles too...

Music with a good, bouncy rhythm helps too. Jumping rope helped me get into Jamaican dancehall music. Bands like chevelle and disturbed arent bad for it either.

When u miss a jump, you can keep bouncing till u get the rope moving again; usually i'm untangling the rope from my feet tho.

Oh yah, another thing that can make jumping easier is the way you bounce. A lot of people starting out jump really heavy with both feet. Boxers who've been jumping a while bounce lightly, bearing most or all of their weight with one leg and alternating.

Stick with it Oso, I know you'll be pullin off cool rope tricks in no time.

Oso
04-27-2005, 05:37 AM
right now I feel like i've got golf balls in my calves...

I had a new dub cd playing...it did help stay in rythm. Ha, when I get better I'll throw my new Trojan Ska Revival discs in....

I'm definitely on both feet now...but staying on my toes the whole time. I tried back and forth a bit but that's gonna take another time or two to get down.

I dunno about cool rope tricks...I'll be fine with gettin my cardio back up.

I can't run on the road due to hip issues...I can't get to the gym due to time issues and will be letting my membership lapse in a month or two...so, maybe this will be something I actually LIKE doing that will give me the cardio I need.

Thanks.

WinterPalm
04-27-2005, 09:59 AM
Man if I did a form 5X with pullups, situps, and pushups inbetween, I'd be dead! One form, done with the full opening, takes 4:30 minutes! Another one takes ten to twelve minutes! I think the shortest one is three and a half or four minutes!
How come your forms are so short? Are they abridged to train one component of your art?

Oso
04-27-2005, 10:57 AM
Bung Bu is a very common set in NPM and I've never seen it played longer than a minute or so in any clip I've ever seen of it.

my crushing step is more of a 'slow grinding step' :D

{shrug}

I just saw several Sifu and one master level Sifu do their mantis sets this past weekend and no one took much more than a minute and a half to perform them so I would say that it's probably indicative of the PM style not to have super long sets.

fa_jing
04-27-2005, 04:05 PM
remember not to come down on your heels when you jump rope. Back and forth off one leg at a time (landing on the other and also the toe of the jumping foot) is easiest.

Oso
04-27-2005, 05:58 PM
yep, gonna work on the back and forth thing.

I'm on puzzle mats too, so theres some cushioning as well...very much needed for my 37 year old knees and hips. :D

i'm sore as a muther today...

Oso
05-04-2005, 07:52 AM
Been working on learning to jump rope correctly.

Have jumped rope every day for at least 6 minutes or so.

Can't get the alternating foot thing down though.

I will say that there is great incentive in going barefoot and learning to jump rope.

Nothing lack smacking a heavy PVC rope into the tips of your toes to get you motivated. :D

Any tips?

Oso
05-10-2005, 06:34 AM
9 x 45 sec jump roping w/ 15 second rests.

4 x 15 pushups w/ 15 second rests

3 x 6 pullups
(1-2-2-1 w/ 30 second rests. No, there not full ROM. haven't really done pullups in 3 weeks, so I've lost ground here)

1 minute each, 30 second rests:

oblique crunches, right side
oblique crunches, left side
crunches
leg lifts
full situps

Forms for about an hour.

Class for two hours.

Oso
05-18-2005, 06:45 AM
Saturday

Jump rope 20 minutes:

1 work
30 rest
30 work
30 rest
30 work
30 rest
30 work
1 rest
(5 min)
repeated 4 times.

still having a hard time getting an alternating foot rythm going on
right now I can get a weight shift from foot to foot but the off side foot isn't coming off the ground. I can't get the balance part of it down and I feel like I'm going to fall over. :o

4 x 15 pushups

6 x 3 pullups

Bung Bu x 5

yesterday

end of year at my day job (Facilities Mgr. at a private school) so busy as hell.

15 minutes of jump roping still in the same interval pattern as above.
working towards 3 minutes w/ no intervals. next week I plan on doing
(45w/15r x 3) x 3

Bung Bu x 5

Ba Kui x 5

Ba Kui two person for about 20 min

Oso
06-14-2005, 08:59 AM
what a sad little blog

anyway...

we are now going to kumite every friday night at the school where i trained jujitsu.

I can now go 5 minutes straight jump roping, yea me.

getting a little bit of a shuffle going on with the feet.

saturday morn I did

6 x 12 pushups w/ 1 minute rests

6 x 3 pullups w/ 1 minute rests

1 minute crunches

1 minute leg lifts

1 minute full situps

some form work for about 30 minutes.

Oso
06-28-2005, 06:52 AM
spent 5 hours mowing in the sun friday afternoon...call me a wuss but I opted for a beer and a shower instead of kumite.

saturday - nada

Sunday

Jumping Jacks - 2 min 30 seconds -completed 240-260 - I counted 250 but was surely off at some point.

1 min rest

2 min jump rope
1 rest
1 jump
1 rest
1 jump
1 rest
1 jump

1 hour of two person forms work....my arms are good and sore...got a student who is one bony biyotch.

30 minutes solo form work.

FngSaiYuk
06-28-2005, 10:15 AM
spent 5 hours mowing in the sun friday afternoon...call me a wuss but I opted for a beer and a shower instead of kumite.

WUSS!

Don't blame ya tho' - after 5 hours mowing in the sun, sometimes u just wanna get clean and have a cold drink...

Oso
06-28-2005, 11:10 AM

feeling a little burned out so it's an easy call to not do much on the weekends

did 3 weeks in a row of Mon-Fri day job followed by teaching Mon-Thur and kumite on friday nights and teaching Saturday mornings...so when I knew that most of the guys at kumite wouldn't be there for one reason or another it was easy not to go....probably not going to go this week either as I'm gonna try and take an honest to goodness 4-day weekend and just play.

Oso
06-29-2005, 07:52 AM
Monday

not much besides the usual kids class warmup & advanced adult warmup.

I did get a 2 minute horse in with thighs parallel to the ground

Tuesday

Pushups before class:

2minrest

2minrest

3minrest

16 (failure)

3minrest

19 (failure)

3minrest

11 (failure)

101 total.

I think next time I'm going to go to failure on each set with a 3 min rest till I get at least 100.

Don't ask me what the hell I'm doing...just trying to get something done in the short times I have before class. Today I'm going to do a ...'superset' ??? or pullups...

Oso
06-30-2005, 06:43 AM
Wednesday

3 minutes Jumping Jacks

8 x 2 pullups w/ 1 min rests

then I did 4-6 more sets of 2 over the next two hours between teaching class.

Oso
07-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Thursday

Sparring night for my beginning students.

We all did a light 15 min warmup: JJ's, pushups, situps, squats and some plyos.

I went 8 x 1 min rounds with each of them.
Then they all round-robined till everyone went with everyone so they all got 8 x 1 but with breaks.
Then I went with all of them again for 1 minute rounds.

Nothing special for me as I was teaching and it was light contact stuff.

Friday (Today)

I'm trying to vacation this weekend so I've got today off from work as well as monday. Gonna skip kumite to play tonight so did a workout this morning.

1 x 3 min jump roping
30 sec rest
1 x 1 min JR
30 sec rest
1 x 1 min JR

Pushups: Gonna try this formula for a while. Sets to failure w/ 3 min rests untill I hit 100+

So, with 3 min rests between each set I did

for 98. {shrug} not quite 100 but it kicked my ass.

then, I did
1 min crunches, 51 total
30 sec rest
1 min leg lifts, 42 total
30 sec rest
1 min full sit ups, 21 total -- had a choking thing happen, sometimes I gag while doing abs ???? so, I didn't get my usual 30-35 in a minute.

Then I did about 20 minutes of teaching a student of mine a groundwork flow drill I learned from my JJ teacher....kept the sweat going.

Then I sparred 4 x 4 minute rounds with this student. This is the student who wants to fight Lei Tai so we are going full speed but right now I can only hit her about 1/4 to 1/3 in the head or body or I'll knock her down/out. She's 150 and I'm 240. It was good though and I was drenched in sweat by the end.

Oso
07-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Saturday - nada

Sunday - Went on a hike in the Smokies. 3.1 miles - 55 minutes - as near as I can tell there was abotu 500' elevation gain over the entire hike. We were gonna do a 11.6 miler w/ about 1500' but it was raining like a mother and I didn't relish 4+ hours of sogginess.

Monday

Had an early class w/ my more dedicated students since it's the 4th and all that.

Got their early and did

3 min Jump Rope.
1 min rest
1 min JR
30 sec rest
1 min JR

9 x 2 pullups - negative - 5 count hold at the top and then 4-5 sec drop
1 min rests

1 min crunches (50)
1 min Leg lifts (27)
1 min full sit ups(27)
30 sec rests

(about 20 minutes rest while I vacuumed the school floor)

warmed up class (100 JJ's, 25 hindus, 25 bootstrappers, misc stretching and qigong) 15 minutes

10 minutes forms

(teaching 50 minutes)

30 minutes forms

(teaching 20 minutes)

10 minutes 2 person drills w/ students

...now it's beer, music and fireworks downtown....

WinterPalm
07-04-2005, 12:45 PM
You are the teacher and you have to clean up the kwoon?? Where are the students??

Oso
07-04-2005, 08:13 PM
they sweep and stuff every day but I don't let ANYONE touch the vacuume...

Oso
07-09-2005, 09:46 AM
This week sucked ass at work. I have fecal coliform bacteria on my baseball field and no one can figure out from where...waste water is welling up out of the ground. We're going to have to start randomly digging till we find something. Needless to say I had some long days.

anyway...

SATURDAY

Jump Rope

2 min round/1 min rest x 3

Pushups

3mr
14(44)
3mr
18(62)
3mr
16(78)
3mr
16(94)
3mr
11(115)

3mr

Hindu's - to failure

1mr
52(121)
1mr
40(161)

3mr

Bootstrappers - to failure

1mr
31(65)
1mr
35(100)

10-15 min rest

20 min - Two person form work

5 min rest

3 x 4 minutes sparring (same student, moderate level)

Oso
07-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Wednesday

sparring night at school.

opened with this

15 JJ's
15 Hindus
15 Pushups
15 Crunches

the next set was 14 each, then 13 each, on down to 1 of each.

no rests between sets

works out to be 120 of each

takes about 10 minutes

then I did 4 x 2min rounds, w/ 1 min rests
about a 15 min break while my students sparred each other.
then another set of 4 x 2 min rounds

then taught some ground drills

then did about 20 minutes of very light staff sparring...it was the first time my students have done that so I was just getting them used to it a little.

Oso
07-18-2005, 08:58 AM
Saturday

Not much. Had a new student in for the strength training and so I introduced him to the workout and guided him through it...did some of it but not really with enough intensity to call it a workout for me.

Sunday

Played Tennis for about an hour....got a good sweat going and kept it going the whole time.

Oso
07-18-2005, 06:14 PM
it's just sapping me mentally right now

this is all i did today

2 min rope
30 sec rest

30 pushups
30 sec rest

50 hindus
30 sec rest

30 bootstrappers
30 sec rest

4 pullups
30 sec rest

50 leg lifts

led warmup for kids and adult class, taught both as well, as usual.....

Oso
08-05-2005, 12:27 PM
sad when I have to take a whole day off to get a good workout in...

also the first day to really work my new machine and dumbells into the routine.

elapsed time for today was 90 minutes

Jumped rope
Work/Rest
:15/:15
:30/:15
:45/:15
1:00/:15
1:15/:15
1:30/:15

kinda weak I know but, well, no 'buts'...just weak didn't feel like it and just warmed up with it

5 Minute Stretch routine - this is my personal stretch thing, takes right at 5 minutes and is a good neck to leg loosener upper, most of it focuses on my spine and lower back.

Pushups
20 x 3 w/ 2 minute rests

Tricep Extensions
(100* x 15 - 1 minute rests) x 3

Hindus
25 x 4 - 30 second rests

2 min rest

Bootstrappers
25 x 4 - 30 sec rests

2 min rest

Pullups-wide grip - ROM is still just 90-95% of full

1 (:30) 2 (:60) 2 (:30) 1

:60 rest

Pullups - Narrow grip

Chinups - wide grip

Lat Pull down

(150* x 25 - 1 min rest) x 3

Dumbell Curls
30 second rests between each set

30# 8 each arm
25# 8 each arm
20# 8 each arm
15# 8 each arm
12# 8 each arm
10# 8 each arm
5# 30 each arm

Front Delt Raises
no rest between each set

15# 15 each arm
12# 15 each arm
10# 15 each arm
5# 15 each arm

I need to work dumbells flys into this next time, meant to but forgot.

after that I did about 20 minutes of forms.

*note on poundage for this machine I just got. It's set up so that each stack can be used for exercises to pull down and to pull up...so there's 2 pulleys acting to reduce the real weight of the plates. I hung my 40# heavy bag on it and it took '90' on the stack to keep the bag from dropping. So the pulleys are reducing the weight by 55% or better. I've decided to rebuild them so that each stack can only be used for one type of exercise by removing one pulley. I'm figuring that I should be able to get close to a real 90 or maybe 100 pounds on the set. still not a lot of weight but, HEY, it was free.

Oso
08-08-2005, 07:51 AM
Saturday

Just did a light workout, one set of everything I did friday. it really kept the soreness away I think.

Did a bunch of formwork though...finally wrote down the steps/moves to a set and then figured out exactly how it folded to form the two man version.

Then I finally started working on teaching myself the ling side of Bung Bu.

sunday, nada.

Oso
09-11-2005, 07:17 PM
Just took 6 days off from work...seeing now that I haven't posted much in august but i work at a private school as the facilities manager and august is crunch time for getting the campus back open for school.

I had be doing some jump roping and various body weight exercises throughout august but with no real pattern.

as I headed into my vacation (which was spent at the house and at my guan) my one focus was on getting a jump back into basic fitness and especially cardio. I vowed to get back out on my mountain bike so that I would get my gear together and hopefully set a trend for getting out and riding a bunch this fall.

Last Friday, 9-2, I did the following workout in the guan:

100 jumping jacks
2 pullups
10 pushups
2 pistols each leg
10 BW squats each leg
10 bootstrappers
5 lunges each leg
20 crunches
10 leg lifts
10 full sit ups
1 minute rest

I repeated that 9 times in approx 50 minutes.

Saturday

Tong Long Chuei, about a 40 second set. 20 times w/ 1 minute rests.

I'm going to compete in forms in November and will do Tong Long Chuei as well as a double short stick form. I will be mixing those into my cardio workout. This will be the first time ever that I've competed in forms.

Sunday I did a similar workout:

Tong Long Chuei, once through, about 40 seconds.
30 second rest
100 jumping jacks
2 pullups
10 pushups
10 pistols each leg
10 bootstrappers
5 lunges each leg
20 crunches
10 leg lifts
10 full sit ups
1 minute rest

I repeated this 6 times in about 45 minutes.

**edit** disclaimer. I do assisted pistols...I use two mats folded and stacked to put one hand on as I do them. I endeavor to only use it for balance but of course their is some let off.

No classes on monday but the usual classes Tues-Thurs

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and today (sunday) I got in about a 35 minute ride on my mountain bike.

below is a link to a .pdf map of where I'm riding. It's a great area only about 10 minutes from the house.

I rode the same loop each day. I am currently starting from the parking area at the north edge of the area by FR491. Riding up the road to trail 666 and then riding back down TR666 to the parking area. The road is basically uphill the entire ride and the single track is down hill for the most part.

I will continue to log my trail rides by number for those that are interested. (an hopefully as motivation for me.

http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/bentcreek/new_maps_on-line!.htm

Oso
09-19-2005, 06:10 AM
Didn't do anything last week except run class and do a lot of reps of the two forms I'm doing in competition in Nov.

Saturday, I rode in the morning. Rode the whole loop I've been doing as fast as I could. It was about 27 minutes but had to stop twice because I had the dog with me (this is great for him, he's an 8 year old lab who is getting a bit pudgy too and he loves running with the bike) and we came up on some other dogs on the trail.

I figured out a way to do a figure 8 loop and probably double the ride. Hope to get out again tuesday afternoon before classes.

Oso
09-26-2005, 06:52 AM
Finally got a decently long ride in Sunday. 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Ride starts at about 2260 elev.

7 minute easy rolling uphill to start the ride. Only about 100' total gain but I'd guess maybe twice that as there are some downhills. I spin this whole time keeping speed up and no rests on the downhills

took about a 2 min break while i waited for the others in my group to catch up.

then a fast 10 minute single track back down to approx. starting elevation. some short climbs but speed is kept up.

another 1 or 2 min rest as party catches up.

the next 15 minutes of double and single track has 2 100 yard or so uphill grinds on about 25-30 degree slopes. no real elevation gain as we end up actually 50' lower than we start. this section basically goes up and over a small ridgeline.

hands hurting a lot at this point from gripping handlebars and braking. legs fine, lungs fine. I could be going faster if I was in better shape but that will come. I'll be working on this loop a lot and logging the splits better and working to cut time on the splits.

the next, and last uphill is the longest with an elevation gain of 200 or so over a 15 minute uphill. about a 5 minute rest at the top.

a nice 5 minute spin on level to slightly downhill road then the last 10 minutes or so is downhill single track back to the car.

split times are approximate for now, total elapsed was 75 minutes.

felt great at the end and wanted to keep riding.

Oso
09-27-2005, 06:59 AM
I hate my mutherfugging job!!!

i had to be in this morning at 7am to open because my opener had a family member die. ok, so this means that I should get out of here about 3:00 or 3:30 depending on if I take a lunch.

So, with 2.5 - 3 hours between then and class, I load the bike up and get my crap together this morning so I can go ride.

well, now I have to meet w/ an administrator to do some effed up crap AT 3:30 and it's going to take hours...i'll be lucky to get home and showered and changed in time to teach classs................

Oso
10-02-2005, 05:23 PM
ok, the usual week o' **** at work..

yesterday we held an small celebration marking our first year in the new space.
pulled all the mats up and scrubbed em.

then I gave each student a new arnis stick as a token of my gratitude and about an hour mini-seminar on the basics of arnis.

then, we fired the grill up in the alley, popped a few beers and had a nice cookout which carried over to an after party at a student's house.

Today's Bike Ride.

did the exact same loop as last sunday but cut 10 minutes off the time.
need to figure out how to take a small notebook to record the splits...could remember them after the second split...good ride and my legs are feeling good, tired but good.

Oso
10-04-2005, 03:06 PM
actually got out of work w/ 2.5 hours to spare before class.

went biking.

did the same loop.

the only split I can remember is the first one: I cut 30 seconds off the first uphill leg.

I'm still going to keep taking 2 min rests between legs at least one or two more trips then I'll try all the way through w/o rests.

Today's total elapsed time was 1:01:20 w/ 3 x 2 min rests and the 4th rest turned into 8 minutes because of a low tire.

there was one other 30 second rest while i said hi to a hot chick I knew who was walking the trail :cool:

Oso
10-11-2005, 09:41 AM
ok, I'll join in on the whining...

tweaked the right shoulder out again saturday.

all day sunday it felt like it feels when you stretch stitches out in your skin...kinda sharp and tearing. now it's popping like crazy.

about a year ago I had an MRI and they diagnosed 3 small tears. the doc didn't want to do surgery yet and I went through some PT and have been trying to baby it over the last 10 months.

so, as soon as I figure out if this particular sports med place takes my insurance, I'm going to make another appointment.

SevenStar
10-13-2005, 03:04 PM
Were you hanging from tree limbs with that sash you were talking about again?

get better soon, bud.

Oso
10-14-2005, 05:42 AM
nope, I actually got to play jujitsu last saturday.

thanks. i messed around last year when the doc said he didn't think i needed surgury. i didn't believe him and stopped going to PT after 6 weeks because I could do the same thing at home/school and not spend any money.

i have stuck w/ the pt program at least once a week over the last year...i'm just getting older.

this past week I started taking glucosamine again and for some reason, got to thinking about the whole 'tendon strengthening' aspect of some of the chi gung I know...and haven't been doing regularly over the last 5 years.

so, the plan is to hit the glucosamine, keep doing the PT, do the chi gung and go to the doctor as soon as my insurance card comes in.

Judge Pen
10-14-2005, 05:55 AM
Sorry to hear that man. The shoulder is one injury that I fear (the others are the knee and Achilles).

Get better soon.

Mr Punch
10-14-2005, 07:40 AM
My shoulders are one part of me that're still working.

Oh to be young again!:D

Good luck with that Oso.

yu shan
10-14-2005, 07:46 AM
I can sympathize with your shoulder pain. Both of mine have been f`d up since 03. Never had a Doc look at cause the pain comes and goes. Acupunture has worked and usually clears these irratating flare ups. Be dilligent with your plan, maybe even throw in a massage or two. C you Saturday...

Oso
10-31-2005, 07:03 AM
Saturday

Scrapper's Workout #1 -- fallen waaaay back on pullups. Legs did great though.

Sunday

30 minute mountain bike ride. no rests, full on the whole way.

let myself get dehydrated though and am paying for it w/ undue soreness.

Oso
11-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Nov 30.

A year ago I went to a general ortho but today I went to a sports med clinic.

This guy said he couldn't believe the other guy didn't indicate surgery immediately.

Based on the MRI from a year ago and new xrays today, I've got one majorly torn tendon (hanging by a thread, he said), and one smaller tear and something else wrong with something else latin sounding.

It's going to be orthroscopic and this Dr. supposedly teaches the technique so hopefully he knows his ****.

yay.

Judge Pen
11-01-2005, 10:44 AM
:( Sorry to hear that. Heal well my friend.

Oso
11-01-2005, 11:32 AM
thanks. I wanted to get it out of the way so at least I'll be out of the sling come February.

Judge Pen
11-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Yeah that would be nice. If you take it easy and really hit the P.T. hard then you should be feeling better by then. My knee still hurts, but I can do anything I want to on it, so there's a zen-like quality to knowing the pain is only temporary.

hitman142002
11-01-2005, 02:10 PM
...this last Friday on my shoulder, so I feel your pain-literally. My injury was a rotator cuff torn almost in half- 1.78 CM tear in a 2 CM wide tendon. I'm still in an immobilizer and will be for 2 weeks before ANY rehab starts. I gotta say that it is MOST annoying- especially when trying to type.
However, the shoulder is virtually pain-free now after only having been 4 days. I can "wiggle" it enough to make it comfy in the sling sleeping. Oxycodone ROCKS for the first couple days. Also, if they offer it, DO get the nerve block before surgery, but DO NOT let it wear off without some pain killer in your system- I almost passed out.
If you would like, I can continue to post here several times in upcoming months to let you know what to expect next...so, far- no worries except typing one-handed and wiping (no that's NOT a joke.)

Judge Pen
11-01-2005, 02:20 PM
The most annoying thing for me, post-surgery, was showering. taping a trash-bag around my knee and standing on one leg in the shower was really a chore.

Oso
11-01-2005, 02:27 PM
thanks, I appreciate it.

check on the nerve block.

dr told me i'd be in a sling for 6 weeks.

there is also a collarbone dislocation he's going to fix.

feel free to post here. i'm going to do the same.

gonna have to switch the mouse to the left hand though

Chief Fox
11-01-2005, 02:41 PM
D@mn dude. Sorry to hear about the shoulder. I've had injuries in the past and am actually dealing with some tendonitis in my left shoulder right now. Strange, but I felt a certain amount of relief after being diagnossed with what ever injury I had. The reason being because I knew in my mind that I was doing what I had to do to make it better.

Just think, 6 months from now this will be behind you and you'll be better for it.

You might look at this as an opportunity to switch things up a bit. Maybe start running or something.

Good luck.

Oso
11-01-2005, 03:16 PM
what ****es me off is that I felt like it was effed up a year ago but the doc wanted to send me to PT first to "strengthen my shoulder muscles". My instinctive hunch then was that they wanted to get some money for PT before the surgery as well as after.

the doctor today, working from the same MRI and a new set of xrays (okay, i said that already) says he wouldn't have sent me to PT before the surgury because it was obvious my basic shoulder strength was ok.

anyways....the plan is to get it fixed and be a good boy about the rehab and come back strong.

Judge Pen
11-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Rehab is frusterating, but I'm glad I was dilligent about it cause I'm fine now. I've met others that arent' with the same injury so I feel really good. It will feel so good when you come back full speed.

Vash
11-01-2005, 08:12 PM
****, that's the hardcore suxors.

But, take it from a young dummy who's had a long-healing injury - it heals. It's frustrating in the obscene, but do what the good docs, PTs, and big-breasted wimminz tell you, and you'll get scrong.

Oso
11-02-2005, 07:13 AM
I did scope some hot PT chicks in their facility yesterday...not too shabby.

Coincidentally, my girlfriend who is getting ready to go back to school to be a PT, just started volunteering there. But, she's ok with me 'window shopping'.

{smacks head} LOL, I just remembered a woman I hooked up with a couple of years ago works there too....too funny.

Oso
11-02-2005, 07:41 AM
i don't want to start another thread about the same thing but I have some strength/pt questions regarding this.

I've got basically 4 weeks to the surgery and figured I would work on my shoulders between now and then to offset some of the atrophy that will occur during the recovery. I'm gonna continue the delt raises and rubberband exercises but was wondering if any other exercises would be good to do...shrugs or something?

TIA

Judge Pen
11-02-2005, 07:49 AM
I really recommend pre-PT excercises. Hey, if you do more damage, they still have to go in and fix it, right?

Having said that, have you thought about isometric shoulder excercises? Less chance of actual injury.,

Oso
11-02-2005, 08:06 AM
There's a ton of low grade shoulder strength stuff in the Pong Lai warm up I do 4 times a week so I don't feel like anything but ridiculously long period for isometric would do me much good and I don't have tons of time to do that.

also, I started doing another chi kung again a week or two ago and it's a dynamic tension type of thing.

I wasn't going to do big weights...10 or 15 pounds on the delt raises.

Chief Fox
11-02-2005, 09:11 AM
I do all of those light weight rotator cuff exercises.

I'm sure you're familar with these, but here's a link: http://www.aafp.org/afp/980215ap/980215a.html

I also have a 10lb. medicine ball that I do a lot of stuff with.

1. I lay on my back, throw it up in the air and catch it. I try to throw it kinda side to side to really get those stability muscles involved.

2. I stand up and throw back and forth from one arm to the other.

3. Standing up with straight arms I throw the ball up in front of me and catch with straight arms. Trying to get those stability muscles to fire.

Good luck man. Keep us posted.

hitman142002
11-02-2005, 03:50 PM
Well, I have to say that I am glad that I am almost completely ambidextrous. About the only thing I cannot do suitably well is write. Typing sucks, but it just slows me down- hitting backspace a LOT. Showers have been fine cause as long as you don't keep the incisions submerged (like in a bath) you can shower just fine. I have to keep a folded towel under my elbow so my shoulder socket does not bend toward my waist and pull out stitching inside, but other than that, it seems MUCH easier than a knee injury or something like that.
My biggest problem has been solved today. I have not been able to wiggle my arm much away from my body without pain, and so that seemed a BAD thing to do. I'm smart like that. Anyway, today, I found that I could use my good arm to wiggle my bad arm just slightly- like a couple inches. Until that point, I had to wear these HUGE T-shirts because I could not fit a normal shirt on my arm at all. I was wearing the shirts OVER the whole immobilizer/sling thingy. Today, I contorted myself using all my martial arts ability (LOL) and slid my arm through the armo hole of a shirt and proceeded to actually DRESS MYSELF!! I was so happy, I almost...well, nevermind that.
You will need to get some really weird stuff ready. Find every single pair of sweats you own and make sure they are clean and ready to wear. You probably will not be able to snap or button your trousers closed without some serious effort and pain. Get a few HUGE shirts to wear over your arm immobilizer apparatus for a few days. I could get a shirt on by myself with not much problems from day one, so it just takes a little thought.
You will be able to use your HAND on your bad arm, so little stuff like opening cans is do-able after the first 2 days or so. Before then, I was not even able to open the child-proof cap on my pain meds- just ZERO strength in that arm.
Washing off the iodine and sticky stuff from the band-aid stuff is a real pain. I suggest you get help...

Oso
11-02-2005, 07:36 PM
great anecdotal commentary...

luckily, I have help, till I **** her off and she boots me out of the house of course. :p

I've already planned to switch the mouse to the other side of the keyboard soon to start practicing with the left hand.

I can actually touch type so I know where the keys are instinctively and can find them ok with a single hand....like when I'm taking a sip of my Beam and Ginger...

thanks for the great input.

Oso
11-02-2005, 07:40 PM
...truth be told fellas...I'm a bit nervous...I haven't gone under the knife in 20 years.

i spent my entire childhood (1-13) in the hospital once a year for about 10 days each time as I had reconstructive surgery for an electrical burn to my mouth...then two hernia operations in '85 at 18 years of age...but nothing since then. I used to be very nonchalant about it...funny, need to regress and find that c o c k y ass kid. :)

Judge Pen
11-03-2005, 07:23 AM
I never had major surgery until last year. I hate doctors and needles etc., but I'll have to say the hospital part wasn't that bad. They knocked me out before I knew what was going on and when I woke up I asked them "Are we ready to start?" and they said "We're already done." No pain. One follow-up morphine shot before I left and 5 days of hydrocodone. After that, medicine free and no pain until P.T. and exercise.

Heck, those Pong Lai drills you do probably hurt more than this little surgery.

Oso
11-03-2005, 09:15 AM
LOL, those Pong Lai Drills are part of the problem. The outer hanging punch which is a staple of most of them rotates the shoulder into a bad position for taking shock. I tweaked it hard in that lei tai fight i did in March 04. I think the vid is off the website but in it you can see me hit him twice in a row with that punch in the head with it...the first time was with my fist then I closed and got him again with the inside of the forearm. I was sore for two weeks after that.

Oso
11-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Saturday

Didn't have time to do all of Workout #1. I had students coming in to do some sparring in preparation for this coming weekends tourney so had to cut things short.

10 x 3 pushups
7 x 2 pushups - 30 second rest between those 5 sets.

1-2-2-1 pyramids on pullups x 3 (normal, narrow and chinup grip) - 30 sec rests

2 x 50 hindus - 30 second rest between sets

4 x 25 bootstrappers - 30 sec rests

1 x 30 'pong lai' lunges :D

we have a stance that is pretty much a lunge posture and several of the forms have the posture w/ a palm block by the face w/ the lead hand and a reverse punch. I did a total of 60 (30 each side) w/ fast drops into the lunge w/ the block and strike.

I think I then sparred about 10 - 1 minute rounds with my students.

about 30 minutes after the sparring was over I went on a 30 minute bike ride.

Sunday

90 minute bike ride. Great ****ing ride. One of my students is getting into mtn. biking so he went and I talked him into doing a ride w/ about a 30 minute uphill. He was hating it but did pretty well. I would ride ahead and then loop back every 5 minutes or so and pick him back up and then ride ahead. I wasn't going my usual pace but I got a good 90 minutes of LSD.

On the single track down hill I was in the groove. Hit everything faster than ever and caught some good air and even hit a creek crossing that I've been walking for the last couple of months.

On a sad note, a mountain biker died this past Thursday on the trail that I rode today. Details are scetchy but the jist of this article seems to say he didn't have a helmet on.

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051105/NEWS01/51104034/1009

Oso
11-13-2005, 08:24 PM
Can anyone interpret this?

Arthroscopic RER, SAD

Poss DEF, Poss SLAP repair.

No Pre Cut required.

It's from the surgery appointment 'pre flight'

I meet with the doc this thursday for the 'history and physical' appointment.

kwaichang
11-13-2005, 09:17 PM
Sounds like you have a labral tear and possible Rot cuff strain some of the acronyms are unknown to me more info if you have it, KC

IronFist
11-13-2005, 11:15 PM
No Pre Cut required.

Not sure, but that sounds a lot better than if it said "Pre Cut required."

Oso
11-14-2005, 04:51 AM
Not sure, but that sounds a lot better than if it said "Pre Cut required."

LOL. Indeed.

kwaichang:

There are two tendons torn. One is front top. The other is back top.
The third thing is some sort of soft tissue that surrounds the ball of the shoulder joint.

The fourth is that he's possibly going to cut a bit off the end of my collarbone. On the other end, my right collarbone sticks up what seems like about a quarter inch out of the top of the sternum as compared to the other one. He wan't to try and give it more room on the shoulder end because he said that it was a really complicated procedure to fix the end at the sternum.

On the bright side: I've already been assigned a PT person and my girlfriend says she super cute. :)

Oso
11-30-2005, 05:43 AM
D-Day.

Talk to ya'll in a couple of days after the oxycontin (sp?) runs out. I heard this stuff was called 'redneck heroin'.

typing is gone to be a ***** with one hand though.

MasterKiller
11-30-2005, 07:25 AM
The fourth is that he's possibly going to cut a bit off the end of my collarbone. On the other end, my right collarbone sticks up what seems like about a quarter inch out of the top of the sternum as compared to the other one. My right collar bone sticks up about 1/4-inch, too. Did he say what causes that? Is it bad? Am I going to die?

Oso
11-30-2005, 04:14 PM
lol, no.

didin,t say why.

they did 9 different repairs!

true to kfm rulez...igot pics

will no doubt take a while to get them scanned bit i'll post em

fa_jing
12-01-2005, 08:13 PM
you go, guy.

Chief Fox
12-01-2005, 09:57 PM
My right collar bone sticks up about 1/4-inch, too. Did he say what causes that? Is it bad? Am I going to die?
yes you are going to die. sorry.

Oso
12-05-2005, 11:33 AM
ok, first attempt at typing w/ both hands.

surgery basically went ok as far as I understand it.

went to a pt session friday but all she did was take the bandage off and rub my shoulder down w/ alcohol (which felt like heaven) and move it around a little.

don't go to the doc for the first post op till tomorrow. He's supposed to explain what all he did and tell me what all the pictures are of.

in them I can see lots of ragged tissue and tehn some silver threads (stitches I guess).

planning on going to the school tonight to oversee things. left them on their own wed and thur last week.

I hated the drugs. By sat I felt like crap and started weaning myself off of the oxycontin and percoset combo and am now only on the percoset about every 6 and the oxy just at night before I try to sleep. thur and friday huuuuurrrrrrt.

oh, and for future reference for anyone else...the nerve block is at the base of your neck.....a thick ass 4" needle in your ****ing neck.

Chief Fox
12-05-2005, 11:56 AM
I bet in a few months you'll be doing great. Hang in there.

rogue
12-06-2005, 06:23 AM
Good luck with your rehab Oso.

Judge Pen
12-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Best of luck Oso. It sucks, I know, but this time next year you will feel like a new man.

BTW, sweet dreams of hot PTs rubbing you down with alcohol. I'd prefer bourbon.

Oso
12-06-2005, 11:18 AM
thanks guys.

just got back from PT and have permission to remove the brace for typing as long as my arm stays on the table.

PT was just range of motion stuff again but much more of it. definitely sore now.

they say I won't be able to get back on the bike or jump rope for a long time...they won't give me a date.

I did get 10 free passes to thier fitness room which has stair climbers and stuff.
I had to negotiate for them to let me try the stair climber. they want me to just do recumbant bike. i convinced them to let me at least get on the climber and show them how I did it and that if they thought it would impact my shoulder then I wouldn't. they grudgingly said I would probably be ok.

yea, I'm difficult.

today was the first post op as well and the doc told the PT that he felt like I could probably advance the usual rotator cuff protocol by two weeks.

got a review of the pics and the specific procedures. Don't remember everything though.

Clavicle: The docs word for it's condition was 'mangled'. no shiat, that's what he said. So, he trimmed and shaped the end of it.

The main tendon attaching the pectoral into the cuff was torn. he repaired that.

Labrum was torn in the front and in the rear. He repaired and anchored the front but only debrided at the rear.

the other tendon involved was, i think, the supraspinatus tendon. he repaired that as well.

the other major thing was a large bone spur which he cut off.

there was also some arthritis spots he cleaned up.

couple of funny things:

the PT had me grab the index finger and middle finger of each of his hands with both of mine and squeeze. I did, giving him <50%. He said to squeeze as hard as I could. I did. His knees buckled. :D He said '****' which I took as 'break' and let go. He just looked at me wierd.

then, he's like 'do some alternating leg lifts'. I told him I usually didn't do alternating leg lifts because it makes my right hip pop. so, he felt my hip when I did it and it popped as usual so he said stop. I told him I usually did both legs which he said was harder and asked how many I did. He didn't believe me when I said at least 50 but sometimes I'll do 100. So, he had me do them and stopped me when I got to 60. He was like 'ok, that's good'.

we then talked some about what kind of kung fu I did and what the training was like. he asked what kind of leg work we did and I told him about the isometric stance training which was the root and showed him my horse. he said he might come by to check it out.

today was a guy but he was a much better PT than the girl was. they apparently rotate based on schedule. over teh next 6 weeks I've got 3 women and 2 guys.

Vash
12-06-2005, 11:29 AM
over teh next 6 weeks I've got 3 women and 2 guys.

. . . hmmmmm . . .

Glad the shoulder's coming along. Keep us posted. About the shoulder. Not the two dudes.

Chief Fox
12-06-2005, 12:31 PM
D@MN! It's a freakin' mirracle that your arm was still connected. The doc did a lot of work.

Oso
12-06-2005, 12:37 PM
i know.

I actually feel a bit better about not ever achieving a full ROM pullup earlier this year when I was really trying to. we'll see what happens in 6 months.

Oso
12-13-2005, 08:34 PM
PT today.

she says my ROM is increasing faster than normal and that everything seems to be good.

still just doing assisted ROM stuff.

Fired the dudes...just have the two women working on me now...one is cute and country and the other is hot but weird.

Oso
12-13-2005, 08:43 PM
Saturday was the first attempt at working out since surgery.

I did some left handed stuff with pulldown machine and dumbells.

Lat pulldown 50# x 10 x 3

Dumbell curls 20# x 10 x 3

tricep extensions 15# x 10 x 3

delt raises 5# x (6 angles from the shoulder x 10) x 3

BW squats 25x4

Lunges 25 x 4

can't really do the bootstrappers.

also, tried a new trick:

Place your back against a wall and get into a solid 90 degree horse.

Pick up one leg and extend it w/o falling down and hold.

I did 30 sec each leg once just to see how it was.

Tuesday

PT Day at clinic

sat on swiss ball and picked one leg up at a time x 60 each leg
sat on swiss ball and extended one leg at a time in front of me x 60 each leg

not as easy as it sounds but I got the hang of it pretty quickly

Stairclimber

20 minutes on super fat burner program at level 6

wukong-zero
12-15-2005, 04:31 PM
I didn’t see any mention of you being on any NSAIDs (e.g, ibuprofen). A number of years ago I almost lost complete use of my right arm, but luckily PT and meds took care of it. Ibuprofen really helped with the pain. If taken round the clock it does an excellent job on reducing inflammation…thus should speed recovery. You may want to talk with your doctor about it.

Chief Fox
12-15-2005, 04:44 PM
PT today.

she says my ROM is increasing faster than normal and that everything seems to be good.

still just doing assisted ROM stuff.

Fired the dudes...just have the two women working on me now...one is cute and country and the other is hot but weird.
oooohhhh, Hot but weird. I like that kind.

Oso
12-15-2005, 08:44 PM
I've took oxycodone and percocets for the first 4 days or so and then stopped w/ the oxy and have almost weaned of the percocets (only taking one at night). I take 2 Aleve in the morning.

Started with the Jow yesterday. A couple of the incision spots had not closed up well enough to use the jow yet. gonna jow 2-3 times a day now.

sleeping sucks ass though...can't really get but 4 good hours a night the other 2-3 are tossing and turning from 4am till I get out of bed.

I also have this nearly uncontrollalble urge to stretch my right arm straight up...that would be bad.

CF: yea, me too. Except this chick had me the first day of PT when I got the bandages off and she freaking dropped my arm. Her hands were shaking from the start and she was just all nervous acting...must be my devastatingly good looks. ;)

Wong Fei Hong
12-15-2005, 09:52 PM
man i didnt know how to contribute anything really to this thread apart from get well soon !
But i gotta agree with chief fox !!!!!

oooohhhh, Hot but weird. I like that kind.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

wukong-zero
12-16-2005, 08:04 AM
Aleve is a good NSAID, but depending on the dosage you may want to take it in the evening as well…keeping it your system should reduce inflammation.

Oso
12-16-2005, 08:23 AM
wukong: yea, but I'm taking the percocets in the evening and they have acetominophen in them...I don't want to over medicate.

wukong-zero
12-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Yep...good point. After you ween yourself off them you may want to then ask about some type of anti-inflammatory meds.

IronFist
12-16-2005, 04:40 PM
One thing that will help you heal faster is posting pics of the good looking girls working on you.

Oso
12-16-2005, 07:51 PM
One thing that will help you heal faster is posting pics of the good looking girls working on you.

you know, I might just ask if I can get a pic with them. Brianna is the kinda country one that's cute and Miriam is the hotter but weirder one....we'll see what they say...I'll take the **** approach...works with hot chicks because they think you're harmless.

w-z: i still got 13 percocets...and I'm going to enjoy every one of them. ;) they definitely help me get right to sleep...too bad I wake up 2 hours later.

I did have second thoughts about taking all the oxycottin (sp?) when someone told me I could get $20 a piece for them on the street....I coulda paid 1/2 of my deductible...

Oso
12-16-2005, 08:08 PM
missed PT yesterday due to Ice storm.

used one of my free passes to get on the stairclimber

30 minutes super fat burner level 6.

I think I'm going to increase the time before the level and make 40 minutes my minimum time. I'll do at least 35 min tues if not 40...30 wasn't really hard...just getting things back in the groove.

anyone think I should increase the level before the time? at level 6 today I'd say that I might have been going 40%. I want to target 60-65% for fat burning but also know I need to be hitting 40 minutes or more at 60-65% for any real fatburning to take effect. what I don't know is if I'll burn more fat at a higher rate/shorter duration or longer lower rate/longer duration...I feel like it's the latter.

Chief Fox
12-16-2005, 09:06 PM
Not sure where I read it but the stair master is supposed to be the best machine for burning calories. They recommended setting it to random and throwing a towel over the display so you have no idea what's coming next.

Oso
12-17-2005, 10:59 AM
I just prefer the stairmaster to any other machine; even at low levels its still constant work.

Saturday

I did the leg and ab portion of Workout #1 this morning.

one handed bootstrappers...

Oso
12-20-2005, 08:24 AM
while I can't say that the past 6 days of Jowing has done anything for the shoulder joint itself, the 6 incisions were still puffy and discolored when I started with the jow and by the 3rd day of jowing they had pretty much gone back to normal skin color and are not raised anymore.

Oso
12-21-2005, 06:18 AM
holy krist on a crutch...did she abuse me yesterday!

sore as hell this morning.

actually, it was the best PT yet. she really worked on opening up the ROM and man did it hurt.

i did get a lot more info from her on the goals with my PT and have a much better understanding of what I need to be doing at home. most of my PT is oriented around the removal of the bone spur and the repair to the end of my clavicle. both those sites have tons of scar tissue buildup now and I need to work on breaking that down and increasing the ROM.

Right now I'm at 110 degrees, shooting for near 180 to get my arm straight over my head again.

Oso
12-23-2005, 01:06 PM
Thursday PT pretty much the same as Tuesday. She said the ROM opened up a bit more since Tuesday.

Oso
12-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Thursday

30 minutes on stairclimber.
Super Fatburner
Level 7
2.56 miles

I've decided to stay at 30 min for now and work back up to a 10 min mile.

Once I can get on that pace then I'll open up the time.

I'm using the same exact maching so far. There's only two stairclimbers. both the same model but I've experienced that there can be a difference between the same model sometimes so I'll try and stay on the same one. so far I've not seen anyone else even get on them.

Oso
12-27-2005, 11:15 PM
Tuesday

PT day so I stayed after to get on the Stairclimber

40 minutes
Fat Burner Plus
Level 7
3.42 miles

I officially came out of the sling today so I was able to hand on to the heart rate moniter handles.

Once I went above 155 I stayed above that level and ran from 155 - 172. Mostly sustaining 165+

I don't really know what that means yet...need to find a chart for optimal/average heartrate for 38 year old males.

got back in line w/ students today for some of the warmups but didn't do hardly any of the arm movements, obviously. Then I did a 3 minute horse. My posture is a bit off after 4 weeks down but I still held at just above horizontal thighs the whole time.

Oso
12-29-2005, 04:00 PM
PT today

40 min stairclimber

Fatburner Plus (lol, just noticed I've called it two different things)

Lvl 7

3.41 miles - a bit slower today

Oso
12-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Tuesday

they let me out of the sling.
just the usual ROM stuff and some more core stuff w/ the swiss ball

Thursday

added new stuff today:

isometric pressing against a wall
two exercises with a stick for ROM
pulley exercises for ROM

just one more week before the second post op w/ the doc.

My over head ROM has opened from 110 degrees two weeks ago to 140 today.

Oso
12-29-2005, 08:06 PM
I think I get/feel the reflexogenic response...as in I don't WANT to open it up because it hurts?????

I'll ask her about the counterstrain.

This girl is pretty good i think. She's the weird/cute one, not the country/cute one.

I was reading her bio at the clinic and she's one of just 3 of them there trained in something called Maetlin (sp?) techniqe. Anyway, it feels like she's actually doing stuff that helps where the other girl is just kinda going through the motions.

Thanks for the tips.

rubthebuddha
12-29-2005, 08:11 PM
this thread merged with oso's "shoulder fugged up" thread, cause he asked me nicely and bribed me with a bottle o' scotch whisky.

Oso
12-29-2005, 08:14 PM
LOL, thanks.

send me an address and preference and it's in the mail.

scotch won't go with the oj though...

Oso
12-29-2005, 08:53 PM
hmmm, well, she seems to be doing both the 'karate' and the 'tai chi' methods where as the other PT isn't doing anything but working within the current, pain free, ROM that day.

after each time she will rotate the arm against the 'pain' the then relaxes and pulls the arm out to basically neutral and kinda shakes/vibrates/pulls along the centerline of the arm.

Oso
01-03-2006, 02:22 PM
haven't slept for **** all weekend.

between fri, sat, and sun nights I got maybe 8 hours. just can't get comfortable in the bed. also, I stopped taking the percocets last thursday.

went back to the couch last night so my girlfriend could get some sleep.

hit one of my last two oxycontins and slept the sleep of the lotus eaters.

as a consequence of the lack of sleep I didn't feel like doing crap saturday.
managed to get the ab portion of Workout #1 done...doubled the reps on each exercise.

sun is usual day of except for recreational stuff like biking or boating...neither of which I can do right now.

monday night: led warmups for the first time since Nov 29th. holding the arms in to the side and doing everything else but it's throwing my balance off so will have to adjust till I can do the ROM needed.

Tuesday

No PT. Last thursday was actually my last day of PT. I have a followup w/ the Doc thursday.

Still went and got on the stairclimber.

40 mins

Level 8

3.61 miles.

stepping up one level hurt for starters but then felt good at about the 33 minute mark.

Oso
01-05-2006, 01:08 PM
ugghghhhg...

ok, the no sleep thing it getting rediculous...like 20 hours total in the last 5 nights.

Had the 5 week post op w/ the doc...which pretty much seemed pointless...he asked how I felt...I said 'ok'...some other person, not my PT, had done a 20 questions on me and I'd told her about not sleeping. She suggested a prescription for Ambien and the Dr. said he'd leave that for me and left. ???

soooo....I'm pretty much falling asleep at my desk and I'm gonna go home and decide wether to take a nap before class....

Oso
01-16-2006, 08:21 PM
so.....

started getting bills...confusing...right now it looks like I owe another 3k or so.

didn't plan on this...I paid an estimated $425 up front as my 20%...but knew it was going to be more...figured double that...not sextuple that.

So, had to stop PT until I get this all cleared up...PT was costing $175 per visit...for not really that much, IMO...yea, I know...and I was doing it all just like they said but in dollars for value...$175/45 minutes is freaking high.

at the 6 week post op...which was the last PT I went to, the doc said I could get back on my bike for road riding (no downhill) after the first of Feb...so, somewhat good news.

So, I've been down about the bills...down about putting on another 10 lbs in 7 weeks...

but, I started leading the class warmup again as of last week...conservative w/ the arm movements

still can't do forms for ****...if you don't believe all the leg and waist energy ends up in your arms, if you're doing it right, then get shoulder surgery and believe...even if I even put the littlest bit of 'juice' in a movement my shoulder tells me to stop wtf I'm doing...and I do, FTR. Not being crazy, just trying to find the upper limit and push just past it a % or so...which is what the doc and PT said.

Oso
01-26-2006, 08:42 AM
so, still very much out of it for most kung fu stuff or other bouncy aerobic activity.

been doing warmup and stance training and forms.

stopped goint to PT clinic so I don't have access to the stairclimber.

But, only a week more before the doctor said I could try biking.

Been working on diet.

Breakfast

Coffee 1 or 2 cups max.
Powerbar Harvest w/ 1 T peanut butter on it

I make a smoothie for the day

2 C orange juice
1 C water
1 bananna
1 apple
1 carrot
10 T of 90% Whey Protein Isolate...don't know the weight so don't know the exact protein count.

This gives me basically a quart that I consume through out the day.

my one spot of weakness is that I also have either a Hot Pocket, or a frozen Chemichanga or a frozen Egg Roll at some point during the day. I know, they suck but right now I'm getting cravings that these 300-400 calorie salt bombs satisfy w/o going to fast food or the cheap chinese buffet up the street for less money and overall less calories.

I then have 1 cup of coffee around 4:30 and a turkey on whole wheat w/ reduced fat mayo.

dinner is always a decently healthy meal of meat and veggies w/ either whole grain rice or sometimes pasta.

also working on reducing alcohol consumption as it's a high source of calories but I'm still basically a 2 beer/drink a night guy and I doubt that's going to change too much.

I've been two solid weeks on the smoothie thing and I actually feel a little slimmer in the belly...but, I have a long way to go.

Oso
01-30-2006, 08:44 AM
tried some jumproping yesterday for the first time since surgery...

2 minute round by 15 second intervals, slow pace
rest just long enough to reset timer
4 min round by 30 second intervals, slow pace
rest just long enough to reset timer
4 min round by 15 second intervals, fast pace
1 minute rest
1 min jump, moderate pace
30sec rest
30sec rest
1 minute rest
30sec rest
30sec rest

shoulder ok, legs and cardio definitely out, not really sore today.

did some kick drills for about 30 min after.

Oso
01-31-2006, 08:28 AM
So, I haven't wanted to post about my weight issue till I felt I had a handle on changing my diet and had actually achieved some loss.

On Jan 9th I weighed 264. An all time high. :(

So, been working on changing eating habits and haven't weighed since then.
Today I was 258.

Two weeks ago I worked to drop 300-400 calories from about a 3000 calorie a day diet.

This week I dropped another 300-400 from the daily intake.

I want to get down to a steady 2000-2100 a day for now until I can get more active.

Lot's of things have been affected by the weight gain...all the usual stuff but specifically my hips and knees are taking a beating from the 20 pound gain over the last 12 months.

At least the sleep issues have seem to resolved. 2 weeks on Ambien and I seem to be mostly normal which has helped a lot w/ overall energy level during the day.

Oso
02-11-2006, 04:54 PM
tourney is done...what a freaking mess that was by the time it was all over.

yet more evidence of the demise of true martial honor...but more on that later in another thread.

Lead classes as usual but a pretty lame week.

Today:

In a 70 minute workout today:

Jump Roping

Interval warm up:
15/15
30/30
45/45
60/60

3x1min rounds w/ 30 seconds between
1 min rest
1 min rest

3 min rest

Tan Tui 1-5, one road of 8 reps each.

30 breath rest

Xiao Si Shou x3, 5 breaths between each run

30 breath rest

Babu Lien Huan x3, 5 breaths between each run

30 breath rest

Shaolin Shiba Gun x 3, 10 breaths between each run

30 breath rest

Chuji Chuen x3, 20 breaths between each run

30 breath rest

Chi Shou x3, 20 breaths between each run

30 breath rest

Beng Bu x3, 30 breaths between each run

1 min rest

Medicine Ball (just got some in the school so I'm still playing with them)

2 x 20 situps w/ partner. rotate position. 8lb ball. i tried the 12 then 10 but still too much on the shoulder.

Partner stands and throws the ball at your chest. You catch it and sit back and touch ball to floor behind your head and then sit up and throw is to them.

1 x 10 over under passes w/ partner. 12 lb

1 x 10 waist twist passes w/ partner. 12 lb

again, just kind of messing around with it at the moment.

Oso
02-15-2006, 09:00 AM
yesterday sucked as

got out of work a little early..decided to wash the salt off the car from last weekends snow. wasn't paying attention to the line at the auto wash and pulled in behind 8 vehicles and immediately got blocked in by two cars pulling in behind me. 45 minutes later i did get my car washed but was behind schedule.

ran an errand at a friend's house and then called the girl to tell her I was on the way home (with valentine's stuff) and that I would be there asap. She had a class at 6pm. I called her at 5pm and should have been home in 10...2 wrecks on the bypass and I got there at 5:40...

so, I got to the school at 6:10 and with only 20 minutes till the start of class I only managed to do

3 x 30 situps w/ medicine ball throwing to partner on the 'up'.

I'm trying to work in jump roping and abs on Tu/Thur.

Oso
02-17-2006, 08:02 AM
got my new asian style bow in the mail yesterday so I played with it instead of doing cardio.

I did get 4 x 20 situps w/ medicine ball.

today is rest day and tomorrow a full body weight work out and jump roping.

Oso
02-18-2006, 02:06 PM
only got jump roping and forms in...tried push ups and pull ups but probably need another month or more before I start back w/ them.

I did a set of 10 push ups from my knees...definitely some tightness.

did some 3 x 10 second hangs from pull up bar.

did more jump roping today...basically doubled last week.

Interval warm up:

jump/rest

15/15
30/30
45/45
60/60

1 - 30 - 1 - 30 - 1
1 - 30 - 1 - 30 - 1
1 - 30 - 1 - 30 - 1
1 - 30 - 1 - 30 - 1
1 - 30 - 1 - 30 - 1
1 - 30 - 1 - 30 - 1

then did some forms but not w/ the timed rests like last week.
had several students in for open floor so I ended up working with them in between my own sets.

Oso
02-27-2006, 08:11 AM
last week was a hellish week at work.

had a 7am-7pm workday Monday and for the first time in I don't know how long, I did not lead class. I stopped by and my older students were working hard so I left em to it.

the problems on monday continued the rest of the week except for Friday. I was actually doing some physical work which I haven't done in a while. I forgot was standing on a ladder for hours was like. On monday I was perched on a ladder on my toes leaning forward over a boiler for 3 hours as i was trying to bleed off a bunch of air that was in the lines. Strained my right calf so that I felt it the rest of the week.

Come saturday morning it felt ok so I went ahead with jump roping and about 8 minutes in something went 'sproing' low in my leg. Sharp pain about 1/3 of the way up between my ankle and back of my knee. I stopped jumping of course and sat down to lightly stretch and massage the back of my leg. It seemed to go away so I thought 'bad cramp'. Got up and started to jump again but no go.

Finished w/ squats, boots, lunges and situps

So, Saturday looked like this:

Jump Rope

warmup
15/15
30/30
60/45

1-30-1-30-1
1-30-1-30-1
1-30-1(sproing)

4-5 minutes rest/massage

Hindus-Boots-Lunges-Full Sit Up with 12 pound med ball

25-10-10-25 x 4

worked forms for another hour or so, slowly as leg was tender.

Sunday

Formwork for 90 minutes, slow, leg still tender.

Monday

Only the littlest bit of a twinge but I'm going to take it slow through this week.

Oso
03-02-2006, 07:31 AM
As I expected, there is some inflammation in the shoulder due to the physical work I've had to do over the last couple of weeks. Got chastised by the Dr for it but 'needs must when the devil dances'. It's not like I wanted to do what I did, just had to. It'd be nice to think with an official title of "Facilities Manager" that I wouldn't be wrenching pipes or shoveling dirt but that's just not the reality.

Hopefully, the spring shouldn't be too bad with these two projects done and I'll be able to chill and just work on rehab.

another side effect of not being able to really train is that the day spent moving 25 tons of baseball infield dirt around really affected my lower back as well as my shoulder.

if the weather stays nice, I'll be out on the bike this weekend.

Oso
03-02-2006, 07:51 AM
As I expected, there is some inflammation in the shoulder due to the physical work I've had to do over the last couple of weeks. Got chastised by the Dr for it but 'needs must when the devil dances'. It's not like I wanted to do what I did, just had to. It'd be nice to think with an official title of "Facilities Manager" that I wouldn't be wrenching pipes or shoveling dirt but that's just not the reality.

Hopefully, the spring shouldn't be too bad with these two projects done and I'll be able to chill and just work on rehab.

another side effect of not being able to really train is that the day spent moving 25 tons of baseball infield dirt around really affected my lower back as well as my shoulder.

if the weather stays nice, I'll be out on the bike this weekend.

Oso
03-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Finally got it all together to get out at lunch today to ride.

I have a separate set of wheels and tires for my mountain bike that are lighter with semi slicks on them for commuting/road riding.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is immediately adjacent to the campus where I work during the day. I set a goal this week that I would ride from work to where the BRP crosses the French Broad River. It's about 5.5-6.0 miles one way. I went out and back for 11-12 miles. There are 3 climbs each way.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=17&n=3930362.00006969&e=358669.999996666&datum=nad83

the red x should show up right on the BRP. I'm riding from the eastern intersection just to the N of "Valley Springs" to where the BRP crosses the River to the west.

did it in 50 minutes give or take 15 seconds.

enh...it's a start.

*edit* just checked the link...to see what I'm talking about you'll have to go to the tools on the left side of the page and change map size to "large" and change the view scale to "1:100,000" the red cross is still in the right place though.

Oso
03-13-2006, 06:34 AM
Friday night I woke up w/ some hella serious leg cramps on the inside of my thighs. took 10 minutes for them to subside. funny, I haven't had an episode like that since my freshman year of HS wrestling.

Oso
03-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Lunch Ride #2

Only went 7 miles today...rolling hills so kept a good spin going the whole time.

30 minutes give or take 15 seconds.

Oso
03-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Wierd sort of week.

Went to Tampa the weekend of 18-19 and from friday night through sunday morning trained twelve hours or so on a new form and two person drills and applications from it. With the 9 hour drive on either side of that, it was a long 3 days.

ran classes during the week but was mostly recovering and letting the shoulder rest.

Saturday.

Bodywieght

4 x 25 squats
4 x 25 bootstrappers
4 x 10 each Lunges

4 x 25 situps w/ 12 pound med ball

Pushups - on knees, still can't put all my weight on my shoulder.

1x6
1x7
1x8
1x9
shoulder starting hurting so I stopped

Delt raises w/ 3 pound wieght on 6 angles from shoulder
6 x 10 each arm

rubber band, rotator cuff exercise
1 x 30 each direction each arm

did one chinup hang at about 50% ROM for 10 seconds.

did forms for about 30 minutes

Oso
04-10-2006, 06:03 AM
Overall a decent week for cross training.

Last Sunday (the 2nd) went out on the bike with the girlfriend and her dog. The dog has gotten as fat as I have this winter. We did a good 30 minute climb and then 10 down and 20 rolling.

Friday (7th) I went out by myself and did the longest single loop available in the Bent Creek area. 10.9 miles. 45 minutes of up. Haven't looked at the total elevation gain...4-5 hundred but there are 4 distinct climbs the first of which is 10-11 minutes. Between each climb it rolls but w/ no real distinct declines. Stopped twice, once for about a minute to raise the seat. The second for exactly 2 minutes at the 36 minute mark. The last 15 is basically just coming back down hill to the start.

Yesterday just me and the girl went out and rode for 2 hours and 10 minutes.
We did the uphill part of the loop I did friday but instead of just coming back down the central road back to parking w/ crossed over and rode rolling single track for about 20, then another climb for about 15, down for 5 and then rolling single track back to the car.

The Bent Creek area is a largish valley w/ a central vehicle road that runs up the center of it next to Bent Creek. To the north and south are two roads: The North Boundary Road and the South Boudary Road. It's a sweet set up in that you can pick one of several places to park and ride the boundary roads up to the ridges and then single track down to the central road and then keep looping as long as you want. I've been riding up the North Boundary road and dropping back down about 1/3 of the way up.

Friday and Sunday's ride were on the South Boundary Road for it's entirety. It's not quite as long as the N. Boundary Road though and doesn't get quite as high.

Oso
04-15-2006, 08:00 PM
wrong turns can suck...

rode today and tried some new trails.

basically awesome...caught the biggest air on a whoop-de-doo ever...hang time was probably real close to a full second, maybe a fraction longer...hit a second one and had the bike turned slightly on it's side and pulled it back straight before the landing...

however, made a wrong turn and ended up heading back uphill to the main road we headed in on...I hate backtracking...

anyway...a 1:15 ride turned into a 2:00 hour ride and it was probably 1:30 of uphill and :15 down and :15 flat.

on vacation this next week...girlfriend is on spring break so I took it off.

closed the school for it too...that's a first in the last almost 5 years.

Going to head back to my old stomping grounds in Boone...got a hookup for free for two nights at the resort I used to work at.

We're taking the bikes and are going to ride my old weekly ride and then spend a day at Mount Rogers just a bit north of Boone. That will be a 4-6 hour ride at elevations between 4500 and 5500. Will probably suck some wind as I've been living below 2500 for almost 5 years now.

But, it's a cool as place to ride. There are a couple of wild horse herds and every time I've ridden there in the past I've ridden through the same open valley/bald area as a herd.

Oso
04-24-2006, 07:54 AM
well, got rained out from the big trip to Mt. Rogers. Did a smaller ride of no real consequence on tuesday and about a 3 mile hike wednesday. Otherwise, chilled and read like 3 books last week.

Sunday: Back in to Bent Creek. Left the dog at home so my girl and I raced the uphill portion. Don't know mileage but pedaled hard for 25 minutes non stop...she was just 01:02 behind me. We then did a leisurely down hill/rolling hills ride back to the car for right at an hour total ride.

Starting back to regular classes this week.

Oso
05-02-2006, 06:53 PM
ok, I got one question: Why are more of you reading how a fat ass trains than Sevenstar????

really bad timing for crap over the weekend...had two rides planned but between an emergency at work and rain, they didn't happen.

Saturday

Jump Rope - 30 minutes cycled in 4 minute rounds with 15 second intervals then 1 minute rest. So, 6 cycles of 4(15)/1. I think that really worked for keeping me in the supposed 'fat burning' range versus 'cardio' range. Had a good sweat going and was just slightly out of breath for talking.

Kicking:

I just bought a Century Cornerman. I've got to give it a 3.5-4 out of 5 stars. It jumps a bit but I've figured out I can put some rebar in the hollow base legs and add probably 100 pounds to it. Otherwise, it does the trick just fine if you can't hang from a rafter or beam.

Also, a confession of sorts: I haven't really trained kicking for 2.5 years. The gym I was teaching at from 2001-2003 had heavy bags so I'd still get a good kicking workout in a couple times a month. After moving to the rec center and then the space I'm in now, I had no hanging bag. I have 5 sheilds and thai pads but I don't really have a student who can hold for me at full power (my kicks aren't that great but they're ok). I kick to teach but that is, of course, not anything you could call 'kick training'.

So, Saturday was going to be 30 minutes of jump roping and 30 minutes of kicking. I was about 10 minutes into the kicking when a guy came in to interview me on the subject of MMA in NC for his college journalism class....then halfway through that I had a walk-in and ended up talking to him till I got a phone call about a wreck that happened on the road where my day job is that spilled over onto the property...so, I left to go cut op a 40' pine tree that got snapped off at ground level and pick up a 50 gallon trash can worth of Isuzu Rodeo parts....

by then it was pretty much beer-thirty. :D

Sunday
so, went back in Sunday

Jump rope: 30 minutes as above

rest for 4-5

Kicking: 25 minutes...pretty slow and only about half power. My hips aren't feeling the best so I want to ease back in and get my almost 39 year old joints conditioned up as much as I can.

I only threw 340 kicks in that time

20 of each kick on each leg:

front snap - to bottom of bag
front thrust
side
round
dragon - uhh, toe is turned out striking with the heel...front cross kick maybe?
inside crescent
outside crescent
inside slap - think uchi mata throw but striking up into the groin with the outside of the ankle bone...yea, I know, make fun of it...I know when I want to use it and when I don't.

felt real good to go through those basic kicks...had some mild abdominal soreness and some mild soreness around each hip.

i'm gonna try to work a jump roping - kicking - abdominal routine for a month or two and then buy a 70lb bag.

the kicker to the weekend was the onset of a whopper of a sinus infection...the doc said it was 'acute' :( stayed out of work today to go to doctor and rest. you should see the color of my snot...about the color of the yellow bars on this page. :D

rubthebuddha
05-02-2006, 08:11 PM
it's cause sev hasn't posted in his hajime blog since the middle of april. :p

Oso
05-03-2006, 04:25 AM
that doesn't explain a near thousand view different.

I must have a secret admirer...that's it.:cool:

But, NO, whoever you are you dirtly little boy, I'm NOT posting a pic of myself.:p :rolleyes: ;)

either that or there are a lot of other fatasses out there worse off than I am right now.

Oso
05-04-2006, 07:04 AM
got a sinus infection from hell...

my ears hurt, my sinuses feel like someone stuffed a bundle of steel wool in them and it's dropped in to my chest and I was literally awake all night hacking up huge loogies that glowed in the dark...either that or the guifenusen/hydrocodone cough syrup they gave me was making me hallucinate.

on day 3 of the antibiotics but no real change yet...

Oso
05-08-2006, 06:32 AM
fugg. this thing is still kicking my ass. last day of the antibiotic but still have tons of congestion.

I had a workout planned for yesterday with some guys and didn't want to miss it so I hopped myself up on decongestants and tried to still spar with them.

warmed up w/ some jump roping for 15 minutes (4/15-1 x 3) and then 15 minutes of light bagwork.

I got 4, 2 minute rounds of sparring in before I had to give it up. Couldn't breathe for shiat. My cardio isn't great at the moment anyway but much worse with the chest congestion.

Didn't do so well sparring. Too much tag with my students and these guys (Kempo) have this new ruleset they are working with. It's ok and is full contact as one of the ways to win is by KO though there are no hand strikes to the head or linear kicking to the head. Circular kicks (round, crescent, hook) only. Knees and elbows to the body are allowed. It is pretty much full on grappling from standup to the ground w/ striking under the same rules as standing including elbows and knees.

I got a few throws including a nice tomoe nage resulting in control and did ok on the ground though I never got anyone to tap and I got tapped twice by ankle lock (always been a weakness). Did ok striking but have been plaing 'one hit' with my students and I was not following up well at all.

after the 4 rounds I was heaving and decided I didn't really want to puke so waived off at that point.

Oso
05-09-2006, 07:11 AM
evidently I caught a hit harder than I thought.

left ribs near the leading edge of the ribcage are sore as hell. probably just cartilidge(sp?). I know I took a knee there.

Pork Chop
05-09-2006, 07:54 AM
could just be body aches from your sickness becoming pneumonia. :p
you should really take it easy for a while and let this illness blow over.
pushing through stuff like that is what ends up laying u up long term.
get some bed rest and restrict yourself to soup for the next week or so till you're out of the woods.
'sides, everyone knows diet's 90% of losing weight.
found this cool thing on ax kickboxing website, thought i'd share:
http://message.axkickboxing.com/index.phtml?action=dispthread&topic=18545&junk=1147147399.24863
read all posts by user "marlboro" there's a nice recipe in there for a kind of diet soup that helps with weight loss.

Oso
05-09-2006, 05:52 PM
yea, I did good all last week, didn't lead class warmup and only did enough to teach during the rest of class. was in bed and took 3 days off of work.

I couldn't pass this up, it had been planned for a couple of months, my old hung gar teacher (now a Kempo teacher) and another black belt from their group are training for competition and wanted to come up. It was my old teacher that got the knee in on me.

what sucks is I hate taking antibiotics...and realized this was going to be a doozy and went ahead and did it...to no real affect.

Pork Chop
05-09-2006, 07:19 PM
dammmit!!! now I'm sick!!!
takin tomorrow off from work.
hurtin

Oso
05-10-2006, 07:25 AM
sucks...I'm still hacking...thinking it might actually be pneumonia...can't go to the doctor again till monday though.

Judge Pen
05-10-2006, 08:23 AM
ok, I got one question: Why are more of you reading how a fat ass trains than Sevenstar????

Because SevenStar is a martial arts superstar!

You're a bit more accessible to the average joe. :D

Oso
05-10-2006, 12:12 PM
maybe I can start my own website

www.fatboyztraining.com