PDA

View Full Version : Sprained ankle goodness

kyklos
01-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Any TCM therapy suggestions for incredibly bad sprained ankles. WOW THE PAIN!!!.

its been 3 days and the inflamation hasn't gone done. Ice does nothing and niether does Tylenol.

I got xrays cuz i never had such pain with sprained ankles before and it turned out that there were no broken bones but the doc says to get an MRI.

GOD it HURTS:(

Stupid aerials :D

Becca
01-20-2005, 03:25 AM
its been 3 days and the inflamation hasn't gone done. Ice does nothing and niether does Tylenol
I ce only right after the injury occures to reduce swelling. After that you need heet to keep the blood moving through the area. Also apply liniment or jow. One of my favorites for this type of injury is Red Flower Oil. You should be able to get it just about anywere that sells this type of product for about $12-15.

kyklos
01-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the advice Becca, i'll look for the oil.

By now the swelling has gone down but the pain hasn't. I can also move it a little now but it makes this wierd popping sound. Feels Like the ligaments are too tight or something. Ive also been massaging it a good amount and keeping it as warm as possible.

herb ox
01-20-2005, 04:19 PM
massage toward the heart to diminish swelling. you'll feel pain and hear popping until the injury heals completely - until such time, take it easy and use dit da jow when you massage.

hope it feels better soon...

herb ox

kyklos
01-20-2005, 11:10 PM
sorry if i sound dumb but what is Dit Da Jow?

Becca
01-21-2005, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by kyklos
sorry if i sound dumb but what is Dit Da Jow?
Everyone needs to start the learning sometime. You can find out about dit da jow and other linements here. (http://www.seaofchi.com/isb.html)

kyklos
01-21-2005, 09:45 AM
Wow thanks a lot ive been looking for a link like this.:)

herb ox
01-21-2005, 01:56 PM
The seaofchi.com site is definately informative, but for the price, I prefer ancient way herbs (http://www.ancientway.com/) .

Dit da jow (bruise-hit wine) is a liniment made of soaked Chinese herbs. The recipes can range from a few herbs to over 2 dozen. Jow will relieve swelling and bruising and speeds recovery. I don't bruise very often anymore, but when I do, a typically dark purplish bruise that lasts up to a week will be reduced to a light red bruise lasting 2 days. Crazy claims? Yes, not certified by the FDA, but ask just about any CMA stylist and they will likely sing the praises of Dit Da Jow.

good luck,
herb ox

Becca
01-22-2005, 01:48 AM
I didn't lok for pricing. I noticed that it gave some good info without going too far indepth for someone just learning about it. My personal favorite is one made by my teacher's teacher. Can't buy it commercially. But it gose for $25 a bottle from Sifu.

tug
01-25-2005, 01:53 PM
I asked about the Jow awhile back and was directed to ancient way herbs. Good resource for stuff like that, and much fun to make your own.

Becca
01-26-2005, 12:55 AM
generally better results, too. You never know if the stuff you got at such-and-suck martial arts supply is good stuff, if it needs to be aged and has been, or if it ran out of shelf life 6 months ago. One of the reasons I like the brand I use; it don't spoil, and if it still has some root in it, it gets better the longer it sits.:)

tug
01-26-2005, 12:59 PM
Dig.

kyklos
02-09-2005, 11:47 AM
just wanna say thanks guys.

I've been using some Dit Da Jow liniment for about 2 weeks now along with some super minty smelling stuff my sifu gave me and it works great.

The guys at the hospital said 6-8 weeks but its been 4 and i've only been using the Jow for about 2 and i can already do sweep kicks again on that ankle:D :D

Still makes that wierd popping sound. :rolleyes:

Peace:)

mickey
02-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Hello kyklos,

You let it slip that you have had sprained ankles before. They may have never competely healed to begin with. That will only leave you injury prone in the same area. If you do not allow for complete healing this time, the next time could be even worse. I humbly suggest the following to help keep you doing what you really enjoy doing:

Internal-- MSM: great for connective tissues. Beef tendon: very good for strengthening the tendons. Sexual Abstinence: helps speed up the healing process.

External-- Swimming helps develop good muscular balance. Develop a good calf development program that will develop all the muscles between the knee and the feet (I recommend Health for Life's book Maximum Calves).

Fitness is something that should be enjoyed regardless of the intensity. Keep the injuries at bay.

Take Care of Yourself,

mickey

Becca
02-11-2005, 12:57 AM
Still makes that wierd popping sound.
On a fresh injury, that is likely just fluid moving around the crtlidge. I takes months for joint injurries to heal all the way. I second mickey on being careful. After this type on injury, you must let it heal first, then rehab it. It will become a cronic injury if you don't biuld up the supporting muscles.

herb ox
02-11-2005, 08:25 AM
Becca & Mickey are right! I used to have 3 kungfu brothers we called the brothers of death because they trained with such enthusiasm, they were always injured! Take it easy!

And keep massaging with the Jow!

peace

herb ox