PDA

View Full Version : Nlp

Rand
01-18-2005, 09:02 AM
Darren and others,

There are several good NLP techniques that are applicable to martial arts. Getting someone to change their course of action by the use of certain words and phrases does have a place in the "arsenal" of all martial artists. Granted, much of this is still in its infancy in regards to the MAs, but I feel that as more people explore this important aspect of violence control that it will become more mainstream. If not, then those of us that are working on it will at least have another edge.

I am interested in your experience with NLP in relation to the MAs. I take from your statement that you have been utilizing it to enhance performance. Can you expand?

Sincerely,
Rand Cardwell

TCMC - Knoxville

Darren Laur
01-28-2005, 05:25 PM
Check these out:

http://www.personalprotectionsystems.ca/Hypnosis3.doc

I have several other articles on this topic located at:

http://www.personalprotectionsystems.ca/safetyarticles.htm

Darren

PangQuan
02-01-2005, 04:58 PM
this is a very interesting topic, i really like the idea. any idea how someone like myself could get into something like this. as a martial artist that is, i know nothing of hypnosis.

Rand
02-09-2005, 09:23 AM
PangQuan,

You can pickup any number of books on NLP at about any bookstore or library. That would be a great place to start. Do a search on the internet and you'll find numerous links too. Granted, the vast majority... if not all... are oriented towards improving business relationships and sales techniques, etc.

Feel free to contact me off list as well.

Darren Laur
02-11-2005, 05:01 PM
Sorry for the delay in reply, I have been very busy, here are some sources I recommend:

Gold Medal Workout For Combat Sports, Dariusz Nowicki 1997

Self Hypnosis The Key To Athletic Success, John Kappas 1984

Grace Under Pressure, Martial Arts and Sports Hypnosis, Adam Vile 2004

Darren

Kaitain(UK)
02-15-2005, 05:39 AM
I use some NLP patterns extensively in my teaching and training.

You can either learn the patterns, or you can learn NLP - which is the art and science of modelling excellence. In honesty it takes a long time to get proficient with NLP, but you can learn to benefit from some of it's patterns very quickly.

It all depends what you're looking for.

In martial termsI like to work with the Ericksonian Hypnosis stuff that NLP modelled - like the principle that the negation of something in your mind, actually entails thinking of that something first.

e.g "I dont want to fight you" - in linguistic terms the brain first thinks of "I want to fight you" and then negates the statement. I think this is why this tends to be a provoking statement leading to violence.

Better to use the words of the desired outcome

e.g. "It's important that we stay calm"

Likewise in teaching
"Dont get tense" invariably leads to more tension
whereas "dont worry about being relaxed, it will just happen" usually leads to relaxation.

I use a lot of representational systems in my teaching:
Look at what Im doing
Imagine that your arm is pushing through thick mud
Listen to your breath, and everytime you exhale, notice how it makes you relax (bit of a causal link there :))
As you inhale, feel how the air causes your whole body to expand

It's things good teachers do anyway - we're just learning to do them deliberately