PDA

View Full Version : hot or cold

Jeff Bussey
01-20-2005, 04:05 AM
Hey there,
Since we all do a martial art here I have a question about injuries.
When do you use heat vs cold?

I get advice from alot of people and they all have different views on this.

J

KPM
01-20-2005, 04:43 AM
The usual advice is cold for the 1st 24 hrs of an acute injury, and moist heat after that. My philosophy is cold for as long as the injury seems "acute"....i.e. for as long as there is sharp pain or continued swelling. The problem with heat is that it can make swelling and bleeding worse. So if its been 24 hrs but you still have an active process goining on, you want to avoid applying heat. For the typical injury you apply ice for only 20 minutes at a time, then remove it until the skin comes back to room temp, and then apply it again. Leaving ice on for too long not only risks frostbite, but it stimulates the "hunting response" where your blood vessels will dilate as a protective measure against frostbite. This brings more blood into the area and can contribute to swelling. Hope that helps.

Keith

Jeff Bussey
01-20-2005, 05:29 AM
Thanks Keith.
That seems logical.
Appreciate it.

J

Phil Redmond
01-20-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks Doc. That ruptures (no pun intended), my TCM training. I was always told to use heat. What you said makes more sense though.
PR

Ultimatewingchun
01-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Good stuff, Keith.

KPM
01-20-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Phil Redmond
Thanks Doc. That ruptures (no pun intended), my TCM training. I was always told to use heat. What you said makes more sense though.
PR

The standard thing for an acute injury is the "RICE" formula: Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. One thing to avoid is putting Dit Da Jow on an acute injury, because the mechanical rubbing as well as the properties of the Jow itself can make the initial swelling worse. Consider the use of Jow the same as you would heat. Think of it as a "chemical heat." :-) Its a little different story for mild trauma like you would get from punching exercises and for which use of Jow is really intended. If you get a knuckle that really "balloons up", then consider it an acute injury and treat it like I have outlined. If you are just worried about residual stiffness and minor bruises, then use the Jow to really help improve the circulation in the area and carry the "bad stuff" away. I am no TCM doc, so my advice is strictly from a western perspective. But glad to help.

Keith

couch
01-20-2005, 06:58 PM
Phil,
In light of me just starting in TCM school here in Calgary, I still agree with the ice for the first 24 hours and heat thereafter.

I understand that in TCM, we view pain/bruising/etc as to be blood stagnation (and maybe wind) and that heat should promote the blood flow and get rid of the stagnation.

But even my TCM teacher whom is also an MD said RICE first, then heat after.

Or a bottle of JD.

;)