PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: saek san or Xebs

red5angel
01-20-2005, 10:11 AM
Can you guys tell me what "camara" means in portuegese?

red5angel
01-20-2005, 10:13 AM
How about "polyvey"?

SaekSan
01-20-2005, 10:37 AM
What's the context?

:confused:

MoreMisfortune
01-20-2005, 10:53 AM
if you mean "câmara" it can be a chamber (of various kinds) or the same as camera (for film or photo) in english.
but most the times when we say "câmera" for camera. I believe both are considered correct.

ive no idea what you mean with "polyvey". maybe its spelled some other way?
we dont have the letter "Y" officially.

red5angel
01-20-2005, 10:56 AM
well....it sounds like he says "eh viva meu day" that's a rough translation of what it sounds liek to me, he's singing so I can't quite understand it. Then the chorus repeates that line with something like "camara" at the end. Then later eeeyeh a capoeira camara. Sorry for the rough speeling.

MoreMisfortune
01-20-2005, 11:08 AM
hmm still dont understand

is it from a song?
maybe find the name of teh song, then one can find the lyrics somewhere

SaekSan
01-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Agree with Xebs on all the above. I'd like to add something else...

"camara" can also be the abbreviation of the word "camarada" (comrade/friend) that's used in Capoeira songs, they usually use the term just so it rhymes in the song.

red5angel
01-20-2005, 11:11 AM
yeah it's from a capoeira song. My guess is it means comerade, but I could be wrong. the only translation that came close on the web was camera but I don't think that's it.

red5angel
01-20-2005, 11:12 AM
THAT'S IT Saeksan, I listened to it again and it is camarada.

How about polyvey? here's the song lyrics as I hear them :D

"Villa da Bahia polyvey"

that's it.

MoreMisfortune
01-20-2005, 11:15 AM
oh yeah i found a capoeira dictionary

Camará - s. m. Corruptela de camarada, do espanhol, "grupo de soldados que duermen y comen juntos" e este do latim vulgar cammara. No linguajar da capoeira, aparece com a acepção pura e simples de companheiro.

Variaton of camarada, it comes from the spanish word "group of soldiers that sleep and eat together" and this one comes from the latin cammara. In the language of capoeira, it means companion (comrade)

red5angel
01-20-2005, 11:15 AM
thanks for the translation help by the way guys. My Portuguese is coming a long but slowly. I'm at the beginning, you know "Onde esta..." "Quando" "Quanto" and so on. I can identify every piece of furniture in my house in portuguese now though! :D

By the way, the nasal sound in portuguese, for example in the word "bencao" where the C has the little squiggly at the bottom, that sounds sucks ass!!!! grrrrrrrrrr:mad: :p

red5angel
01-20-2005, 11:16 AM
Xebs, is that dicitonary on line?

is it this one? http://www.capoeira.htmlplanet.com/capoeira_dictionary.htm

MoreMisfortune
01-20-2005, 11:18 AM
here is the dictionary i used :D
http://www.capoeiradobrasil.com.br/dicionario.htm

btw, is this the song?
http://www.agogo.nl/MultiMedia/lyrics/ladainha/Bimba.htm

SaekSan
01-20-2005, 11:19 AM
"eh viva meu day" chances are it's "eee viva meu rei" (rei = king), they may also say "Oxala" in it which in Umbanda (an Afro-Brazilian religion) has the "Orixa" (deity/god) sincretized with the image of Jesus.

Now most people from Bahia also use the term "rei" for a friend, like:

"Meu rei, tem soro pra picada de cobra?"

"Nao, porque? Uma te picou?"

"Nao, e' que tem uma vindo ai..."

:D

MoreMisfortune
01-20-2005, 11:22 AM
lol

red5angel
01-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Saeksan, I think you're dead on with the "eee viva meu rei".

MM - I don't think that's the song, but it's hard to tell since so many capoeira songs are other songs that have been changed.
LOL@ that dictionary, waaaaay beyond my capabilities to read at the moment!

SaekSan
01-20-2005, 11:23 AM
"Villa da Bahia polyvey" it's probably "vila da Bahia pode ve" (Bahian town you can/will see)

I figured you'd like that one Xebs!

;)

red5angel
01-20-2005, 11:26 AM
I can pick out about 5 words in that conversation saeksan! lol

ok, that's probably right. It's one of those situations where you can make it sound like a couple of things because they're singing it. My guess is you're right again. Remind me to buy you a beer or 12 if we ever meet.

MoreMisfortune
01-20-2005, 11:29 AM
thats good stuff Saeksan

"painho" is another cool one :D

SaekSan
01-20-2005, 11:31 AM
If it's beer it's gotta be Skol and in the can!

But I rather you buy me some cachaca, either Yipioca or Velho Barreiro... none of that Pitu stuff that's stricly for Macumba!

LOL

MoreMisfortune
01-20-2005, 11:31 AM
hey red, translate this
salto no vácuo com joelhada no saco

red5angel
01-20-2005, 11:37 AM
something about a vacuum and a bag, that's all I get :D

SaekSan
01-20-2005, 11:38 AM
OMG! I was about to take a call and I started laughing so hard I had to put my customer on hold, everyone was staring.

Thanks for the laugh!

red5angel
01-20-2005, 11:38 AM
was I close? LOL, what does it mean?

SaekSan
01-20-2005, 11:41 AM
"Meu rei, tem soro pra picada de cobra?"

"Nao, porque? Uma te picou?"

"Nao, e' que tem uma vindo ai..."

Joke translation:

Two guys from Bahia are sitting in opposite hammocks one turns to the other and says:

"My king, do you have serum for snake bites?"

"No, why? Did you get bitten?"

"No, it's because there's a snake coming my way..."

Bahians are made fun of in Brazil for being lazy...

red5angel
01-20-2005, 11:46 AM
lol! Bahia is mentioned a lot in capoeira songs. I think someone told me once it's a good place to vacation or something.

SaekSan
01-20-2005, 11:54 AM
"salto no vácuo com joelhada no saco"

It would translate as "flying jump with knee strike to the groin" but the image it conveys is "flying jump with crushing knee blow to the nuts"

LOL!!!

red5angel
01-20-2005, 11:55 AM
LOL what is joelhada? I can't even find it on the online dictionary

SaekSan
01-20-2005, 12:01 PM
It's mentioned in so many songs because it's considered the birthplace of Capoeira.

It's can be a nice place, lots of history. Since you study Capoeira I'd definately check it out.

:)

SaekSan
01-20-2005, 12:01 PM
"joelhada" = knee strike

SaekSan
01-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Little story on misunderstandings...

When I was a kid, studying Shotokan, I would buy any and all magazines that made references to Japanese martial arts training. One day when I went to the news stand the owner of the stand mentioned that a new one had come out. He shows me the cover and it said "Socos no saco"... I was like "Holy F*ck! I gotta get this one, it's got techniques for punching people in the nuts!!!", I get the mag and as I'm reading through it on the bus I come to the article and it was about proper technique while punching a heavybag... I was so dissapointed.

"soco" = punch

"saco" = can be bag, heavybag, nuts, scrotum or even mean "boring" or "annoying"