PDA

View Full Version : Why are you on the forum?

SimonM
01-20-2005, 10:21 AM
My brother who hates computers asked me why I don't practice in the time that I was on forums. I replied to him that I go on the forums (99% of the time) when I am at work in an office job in an environment where even standing in Ma Bu for an extended period would garner unnecessary and embarrasing attention. So that is my excuse, what is yours?

Royal Dragon
01-20-2005, 10:32 AM
I'm working, or there is nothing interesting on TV.

MasterKiller
01-20-2005, 10:39 AM
I only come on at work. I get so sick of people saying "get off the forum and train." Morons. I can't train at work. I'm here so I can stick it to the man by wasting time while I should be creating some useless excel table or something...

Royal Dragon
01-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Ever notice that the very people who say "Get off the forum and train" are the same ones who are on the forum themselves to tell us that?

SevenStar
01-20-2005, 10:49 AM
I come here because I like it. I get on while at work, and also at nights after I train. I don't go to sleep until 2 or 3am anyway, so after the rest of the house is sleep, I jump online.

MoreMisfortune
01-20-2005, 10:56 AM
3 factors

1) im on vacation
2) i dont have a social life
3) im currently not training - though am exercising - btw my right arm is sore and so are my legs, does this mean i should rest today?

and an agravating factor

1) i dont have cable tv

SimonM
01-20-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
I only come on at work. I get so sick of people saying "get off the forum and train." Morons. I can't train at work. I'm here so I can stick it to the man by wasting time while I should be creating some useless excel table or something...

Good thing I'm not saying that then eh MK. Seriously, I am not criticizing, that would be hypocritical. I'm just curious. My brother on the other hand... He tends to think that awake = should be training. Note; he never goes on forums.

SevenStar
01-20-2005, 11:06 AM
but does he train every waking hour? I doubt it...

PangQuan
01-20-2005, 11:31 AM
I work at a bank, and it can get **** boring, no internet at home, hell no tv at home. I like to get on here while im at work and assosiate with you jovial individuals. Good mental stimulation, opens new ideas, which in turn creates a form of training, mental training.

SimonM
01-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
but does he train every waking hour? I doubt it...

D@mn close; he doesn't work, he doesn't do much in the way of chores, he watches TV but either practices his material or lifts weights or rides the exercise bike at the same time, occasionally he takes a break for PS2, bathroom or food but that's about it. His idea of "taking a day off weights" is that he does fewer reps but more cardio.

PangQuan
01-20-2005, 12:10 PM
sounds like he's really bulking up, he better watch out or someone with more speed and more internal energy abilities will put his muscles in their place.

Vash
01-20-2005, 12:11 PM
So, what you're saying is this: your brother is a mooch who overtrains.

Hell, I'm on here because it gives interaction with some very cool people who share a common interest.

ORA: The End All and the Be All of internet forums.

Vash
01-20-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by PangQuan
sounds like he's really bulking up, he better watch out or someone with more speed and more internal energy abilities will put his muscles in their place.

Dayum, that was so incorrect, my eyes just commited hara kiri.

GeneChing
01-20-2005, 12:15 PM
I love being a "special case". Who was the other sorry loser who does this for work? ;)

Ming Yue
01-20-2005, 12:24 PM
I come online when at work.. I'll browse while waiting for a file to open or some printing to spool.

Good people, interesting discourse, the occasional train wreck to gawk at. Lots of good learning for me on the Training forum, as on the Mantis forum.

Judge Pen
01-20-2005, 12:31 PM
I'm in the majority of slackers at work.

Vash
01-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Oh yeah, I also come on to make lude comments directed at Ming Yue.

:eek: :o :p :D

PangQuan
01-20-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Vash
Dayum, that was so incorrect, my eyes just commited hara kiri.

LOL, gotcha. You might wanna watch out for that, I hear it can cause a stigmatism.

Oso
01-20-2005, 12:52 PM
oh, wait....

and, btw, Vash, you owe me. ;)

Vash
01-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Oso
btw, Vash, you owe me. ;)

Indeed.

I'm also going to have to ask very nicely that I get to keep all of my bodily accoutrements when I run into you and MY @ Taiji Legacy.

Ming Yue
01-20-2005, 01:26 PM
oh, don't worry about Oso... If I want a souvenir I'll take one myself.

:eek: ;) :D

edit: hey how'd you like the Akuma pic I posted on the protein thread?

MasterKiller
01-20-2005, 01:28 PM
OSO/MY,
You guys coming to Taiji Legacy this year???

morbicid
01-20-2005, 01:36 PM
you people are AWEFULLY defensive with your explanations

just the fact that we now have a thread so that we all can explain why we're chatting on this forum instead of training is a bit suspicious.

personally i have no excuse... when i'm on the forum, it's usually because i'm being lazy and neglecting my training

SimonM
01-20-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Vash
So, what you're saying is this: your brother is a mooch who overtrains.

No, he broke his leg and has only in the last few weeks recovered enough to consider doing a job hunt. His previous job was seasonal. He just found ways around the broken leg to train that he didn't for job hunting or chores. (EG: Weights, stationary shadow boxing without any pressure on the bad leg, I showed him Siu Lum Tao which can be done standing still, etc.) so in other words he certainly overtrains but he is not a mooch.

David Jamieson
01-20-2005, 01:50 PM
I come here because it's a groovy little cyber-sangha (feel free to use that G~ :p )

that is all.

Oso
01-20-2005, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
OSO/MY,
You guys coming to Taiji Legacy this year???

hadn't planned on it...not sure where that rumor got started.

Legacy is out west isn't it? A bit too far.

We'll be at the Great Lakes Tourney this April but mainly for the Mantis Symposium.

SevenStar
01-20-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by SimonM
D@mn close; he doesn't work, he doesn't do much in the way of chores, he watches TV but either practices his material or lifts weights or rides the exercise bike at the same time, occasionally he takes a break for PS2, bathroom or food but that's about it. His idea of "taking a day off weights" is that he does fewer reps but more cardio.

then he theoretically has more time to train. Several of the people here spend at least 10-15 hours a week training. Tell him to turn off the PS2 and do some drills instead. :p

Shaolinlueb
01-20-2005, 02:07 PM
i am on interner 8/12 hours a day for work so. go figure.

SimonM
01-20-2005, 02:08 PM
If I did that he'd probably insist that I train with him. :eek: :cool:

I usually work out until I feel like my arms are about to drop off as it is. Right now, I'm the voice of reason that says things like: if you jump up and down on a broken ankle you may make the break worse. :D

Of course I exagerate with that example - slightly.

joedoe
01-20-2005, 03:03 PM
I usually only hop on when I am at work, or when I happen to be online at home checking my email.

To be honest, my kung fu is a big part of my life however it is not my whole life. I believe there must be balance. You cannot be training in every spare moment.

ZIM
01-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Part of my work is online. This is just one of the stops I make. :)