PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun Character & Wisdom

Spectre
10-09-2001, 01:14 PM
I believe that in Wing Chun, an individual should possess character and wisdom in addition to their fighting skills.

Unfortuneately, not every kwoon trains an individual to display character and wisdom.

How would you describe Wing Chun character and wisdom? Do you carry yourself everyday with Wing Chun character and wisdom? Can you call yourself a true Wing Chun man/woman? Why?

Let's hear some opinions!

Continued blessings in your life and your training.

The key to understanding is to open your mind and your heart and then the eyes will follow.

Gluteus Maximus
10-09-2001, 05:33 PM
Modesty and a whole lot of other virtues.

Modesty prevents me from elaborating on all the other virtues, all of which I possess. :D

Max

Yooby Yoody

whippinghand
10-10-2001, 09:30 AM
That depends... is there an Instant Virtue drink that I can buy? I think that's what is holding me back.... 'cause everyone else seems to have instant virtuosity just from training Wing Chun.

Where can I find this drink, guys? Is it beside the "My Sifu's Good, Therefore I Am Drink" or the "Lineage Before Validation Drink"?

Spectre
10-10-2001, 01:06 PM
Thank you - believe it or not you actually did answer one of the questions I asked in this post.

The key to understanding is to open your mind and your heart and then the eyes will follow.

Jeff Brown
10-10-2001, 01:07 PM
I don't need a sifu to tell me how to be "a good person" or instill some foreign dogma in me as part of my wing chun training.

wing chun doesn't require a special set of values to be performed effectively. sure, it would be "great" if we could all sit around in temples and reinact hollywood's vision of the "mysterious orient," but it wouldn't last long because maintaining such illusions is costly. furthermore, it's stupid.

Spectre
10-10-2001, 01:30 PM
Despite everyone's opinion as to whether or not they think their kwoon should teach character and wisdom, no one has made an attempt to answer the questions I posed.

1.)How would you describe Wing Chun character and wisdom?

2.)Do you carry yourself everyday with Wing Chun character and wisdom?

3.)Can you call yourself a true Wing Chun man/woman? Why?

Care to give it a try?

Jeff Brown
10-10-2001, 03:07 PM
too bad David Koresch isn't alive to reply.

Spectre
10-10-2001, 03:17 PM
Once again another fine example of my point...

Jeff Brown
10-10-2001, 03:19 PM
i can't see your head from here, Spectre.

Spectre
10-10-2001, 03:53 PM
What seems to be your problem? Is it that hard to NOT post if you have nothing constructive to contribute?

Jeff Brown
10-10-2001, 03:55 PM
I think encouraging people to embrace some form of foreign dogma is not constructive, ergo my posts are constructive.

Gluteus Maximus
10-10-2001, 04:32 PM
Spectre, some of the virtues commonly associated with the martial arts include: discipline, hard work, ethics, morals, courtesy and good manners, respect for others, conflict resolution, avoidance of arguments, helping others, etc. I'm sure many of us aspire to these virtues.

Many schools try to instil these virtues and some of them are pre-requisites for successful completion of a martial arts curriculum, eg discipline and hard work (therefore people who already possess a certain character are often attracted to the attainment of high levels in the martial arts).

These virtues are not restricted to Wing Chun though - many martial arts try to instil them.

And you don't need to possess many of these virtues (or even any, apart from the discipline and hard work required to attain the necessary skill) to be an efficient fighter in Wing Chun or any other martial art.

Also, I think that the moulds of our characters are probably pretty well set anyway by the time most of us take up martial arts in our teens or later, and are therefore more a reflection of our upbringing.

Max

Yooby Yoody

[This message was edited by Gluteus Maximus on 10-11-01 at 07:41 AM.]

[This message was edited by Gluteus Maximus on 10-11-01 at 07:43 AM.]

Spectre
10-10-2001, 04:38 PM
I wanted people's opinion of what they feel Wing Chun character and wisdom were, if they feel that they possess it, and why.

No one was ever asked to accept anyone else's notion of what Wing Chun character and wisdom are.

No one was asked what they thought of those Sifus that do teach what they feel Wing Chun character and wisdom are to their students.

Everyone has their own opinion regarding character and wisdom with regards to Wing Chun whether they feel a practitioner should possess the qualities or not. That is why my question asks what everyone else's opinion is regarding this. No dogma passing here - so no - your comments are not constructive

Jeff Brown
10-10-2001, 04:42 PM
Then you are asking people to say they whether or not they possess something that, thus far, has not been defined. Do you want people to define these so-called Wing Chun Virtues for you, Spectre. Seems to me that you have your own ideas of what these "virtues" are, why not share YOUR opinion?

Do you have X, Spectre, and if so, why?

Spectre
10-10-2001, 04:44 PM
Thank you for your thoughtful post.

I agree with you. I firmly believe that in everything a person does there should be a high, moral character - not just from a martial arts perspective. We should also strive to obtain wisdom from all that we encounter or experience.

This is a Wing Chun forum so I just applied this question from a Wing Chun point of view.

While I believe that our character and morals as adults are less flexible than when we are adolescents, I think that we can still be influenced by our experiences.

Just an opinion though...

Thanks again for putting some thought into your post!

Spectre
10-10-2001, 04:50 PM
Why not answer the questions with an answer instead of another question Meng Shuo?

I ask my questions out of curiousity and a genuine interest for other people's thought process and understanding. Perhaps other's have looked at something from an angle I have not yet thought to look from.

I do not ask my questions to impose my beliefs upon anyone here.

I do not ask my questions so that I can just mock their honest responses.

Everyone has a different opinion on Wu Sao, but the question can still be asked about what you feel the technical aspects are of the technique. I did not see you asking Whipping Hand why he would ask such a question without sharing his standpoint first.

whippinghand
10-10-2001, 06:31 PM
"Perhaps other's have looked at something from an angle" hmmm... how Wing Chun that is....

If Wing Chun is to produce/enhance/modify a certain "character", since there a many facets, qualities, focuses, that Wing Chun can take, then there must be many "characters" within the Wing Chun community. What is to be this "character" or "morale" that you write of?

I live Wing Chun and I am a character. There's your answer.

Character will manifest through the Wing Chun. Wing Chun will manifest through the character. The quality will manifest through the character. It's unfortunate that it seems most people here don't realize it. Everyone's too busy putting on the "nice" facade. "Nice" is easy to do. Anyone can do it. But then, most people would not know who I am.

Jeff Brown
10-10-2001, 06:39 PM
I hope your curiosity about my thought processes has been answered Spectre!

And I did answer your question by saying there is no such thing as "Wing Chun Character & Wisdom."

There is such a thing as Wu Sao, however, and that's why I didn't ask Whipping Hand to clarify.

In an effort to be nice, Spectre, let me just say that any way YOU personally choose to define Wing Chun is fine with me, but I am not the least bit curious about the specifics.

Have a great day!

Spectre
10-10-2001, 10:02 PM
Whipping Hand:

Thank you for actually answering my question. I don't have to agree with your answer just as you do not have to agree with mine - I just wanted a view point and you provided that.

And ask anyone who tries to respond to some of your negative posts and they will tell you that being 'Nice' is not always easy to do.

No one said that an individual who posts has to be nice. However, the opposite of 'nice' is NOT 'Rude' or 'Insulting'.

Meng Shuo:

I actually did get a chance to see your thought process no matter how closed it may be.

I am not sure if your attempt at sounding philosophical was a failed one, but do you not think that just saying "there is no such thing as Wing Chun Character & Wisdom" would have been clear and concise even though it should have been prefaced with 'In my opinion'?

If the technical aspect of Wu Sao are so clear and concise as you imply, why are there 2,969 posts on the subject? Obviously not everyone here agrees that it is so clear and concise.

And if you were not the least bit curious about my specific definitions, why respond to this post in the first place? You have wasted my time as well as others'.

Jeff Brown
10-10-2001, 10:06 PM
LMAO! :p

[Censored]
10-10-2001, 10:13 PM
1.)How would you describe Wing Chun character and wisdom?

Hit them fast, hit them hard. Then, hit them again.

2.)Do you carry yourself everyday with Wing Chun character and wisdom?

No, it is not the best way to win friends and influence people.

3.)Can you call yourself a true Wing Chun man/woman? Why?

I cannot, because if I ever caught myself making such a proclamation, I would have to kick my own ass.

Wing Chun is a system of hand-to-hand combat. It is not a dessert topping nor a floor wax, yet some people insist on eating it and spreading it on their floor.

Roy D. Anthony
10-10-2001, 10:36 PM
You forgot , "follow the path of least resistence"That is also Wing Chun, and that concords with winning friends and influencing people.

whippinghand
10-10-2001, 10:47 PM
"You have wasted my time as well as others'" ???
You had better re-assess that. If people can influence you that much, well.... your chi sau must suck.

whippinghand
10-10-2001, 10:59 PM
What color is your light sabre?

Jeff Brown
10-10-2001, 11:02 PM
Fire engine red

Spectre
10-10-2001, 11:21 PM
Sorry - there were 96 replies to the Wu Sao post. I was in a hurry to get out of work and looked at the wrong column!

My apologies! ;)

Spectre
10-10-2001, 11:36 PM
You guys crack me up!

My chi sao just may suck - and if it did I would not be afraid to admit to such. Can you say the same?

Unlike yourselves I do not feel as if I have the end all be all answers to everything. I do not come to this forum to tell everyone that they are wrong and that only I truly understand Wing Chun - I do not assume that I am the only one who can set things straight and 'enlighten' people.

I really do enjoy the replies that both of you provide especially on this topic since every reply is an indirect answer to my original questions.

Your responses do reflect your Wing Chun philosophy of beat the opponent into submission even if you are in the wrong. I honestly hope that when you choose to actually use your Wing Chun that you do not find the opponent who will not submit to your false sense of confidence.

My light saber is blue by the way!

EmptyCup
10-10-2001, 11:57 PM
I just wanted you to know that I understand how you're feeling...

because THERE ARE SOME REALL A$$ HOLES IN THIS FORUM WHO GET THEIR KICKS FROM IRRITATING OTHER FORUM MEMBERS WHO JUST WANT TO DISCUSS SOMETHING WITHOUT BEING PICKED ON

YES...I SAID BIG ******* TROLLING MEMBERS :D

hurry...read this before Dave removes it...with all the time spent removing posts he should just ban some members who are making the rest of the other members UNCOMFORTABLE posting anything because they always get attacked

To these know-it-all and pseudo-secretive forum members: Why come here if you already know everything and don't intend to share anything??? Don't you have better things to do? As in write a book on how you are the ultimate wing chun authority?

Spectre
10-11-2001, 12:12 AM
Read the post in time!! ;)

Since some people are already Wing Chun Superheroes maybe they can spend their time trying to be decent human beings now! :cool:

Thanks for the vote of sympathy!! :D

Jeff Brown
10-11-2001, 12:26 AM
I would have guessed your sabre was rainbow-coloured, Spectre!

You're tho thuper!!

Please, oh please, tell me what you think are the almighty virtues and wisdoms of Wing Chun. As you can see, my sabre glows a brighter red when stupidity is cast before it....

Spectre
10-11-2001, 12:34 AM
I would try to stoop lower than you Meng Shuo but I hardly think that is possible.

It is hard to comprehend how people could even try to say this place is better with people like you around. You spew your hatred and arrogance like an ignorant child.

Jeff Brown
10-11-2001, 12:41 AM
Wrong, Spectre. I posted my opinion which you, because you didn't agree with it, decided to brand as hostile. You came out here trolling for neo-Christian, feel-good messages about Wing Chun (why, I shudder to speculate) and didn't get any. Now you stomp your little foot and pout.

whippinghand
10-11-2001, 01:00 AM
For what it's worth.... I like you....

whippinghand
10-11-2001, 01:01 AM
Did I not answer your question?

Spectre
10-11-2001, 01:15 AM
Actually Meng Shuo it is you that is wrong. But you still re-affirm everything that I have said with your childish tones and accusations.

I do not believe in any special Wing Chun/Martial Arts character and/or wisdom. I personally believe that an individual's character will be applied to their martial art. I have heard others talk about being a 'Wing Chun' man - one who 'lives' Wing Chun's principles and applies it to everything in his life and not just when fighting. I was curious about other people's thoughts on it. Nothing more - nothing less.

I look for no 'feel good' messages or positive affirmation from anyone.

Is there anything wrong with trying to understand other people's beliefs even if I do not agree or believe in it? I will continue to try and broaden my knowledge even if you choose not to.

If I did not like your answers it is because most of them did not answer the questions that I posed.

Why waste your time when you could be using it to stand in front of the mirror admiring yourself?

And Whipping Hand - I thanked you for your answer to my question. However, my problem is with your insults which are unnecessary.

Jeff Brown
10-11-2001, 01:25 AM
IN MY OPINION, I am right.

Happy now, princess?

By the way, if you still think I never answered your questions, you are even more stupid than I had originally thought.

Later,

Meng Shuo

PS -- be careful you don't step back without permission from your Sifu! ;) It might suggest to your opponent that you can think.

Spectre
10-11-2001, 01:44 AM
Did the mirror reject you?