PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin straight sword [dao]

Joel
01-20-2005, 09:14 PM
Does anyone know if the straight sword is a shaolin kung fu weapon ?

Brad
01-20-2005, 10:20 PM
It can be.

BM2
01-20-2005, 11:19 PM
The dao has a single edge where as the jian is the double edge sword.

GeneChing
01-21-2005, 10:06 AM
I've seen Shaolin forms for shoes, brooms, bowl & chopsticks, non-folding fans, mostly in Shi Deqian's book. I've also seen benches, yokes, small folding chairs, hats, you name it....

David Jamieson
01-23-2005, 09:43 AM
my HB#2 pencil is a kungfu weapon.

PangQuan
01-24-2005, 01:00 PM
The primary ideal behind the multitudes of chinese style weapons forms and training is; so that you become comfortable weilding a large diversity of objects, in weapons manner, so that in turn after mastering all of the weapons set before you, you will have a very large understanding of leaverage, balance and specific technique to enable yourself to turn virtually any object into a weapon.

GeneChing
01-24-2005, 02:51 PM
Actually, I've never heard of a pencil style, but I have heard of a pen style - or more literally, a brush style. In fact, I have this memory of that being in one of those Shaolin books. Usually it's an iron pen, really just a kubuton (http://store.martialartsmart.net/75-01k.html)-like device. The pencil was invented by Conte, a frenchman I think, later.

serene_dragon
02-13-2005, 01:32 PM
The primary ideal behind the multitudes of chinese style weapons forms and training is; so that you become comfortable weilding a large diversity of objects, in weapons manner, so that in turn after mastering all of the weapons set before you, you will have a very large understanding of leaverage, balance and specific technique to enable yourself to turn virtually any object into a weapon.
__________________________________________________ _

Very well said...
Some people ask "why teach weapons kata's and application?"
PangQuan answered that question very well in this statement.

Judge Pen
02-14-2005, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by serene_dragon
__________________________________________________ _

Very well said...
Some people ask "why teach weapons kata's and application?"
PangQuan answered that question very well in this statement.

I agree 100%. If not, weapon training would have nothing but a historical/esthetical purpose (of course it has that too) :)

NeuroGrrrl
02-16-2005, 12:20 PM
I'm waiting for the shaolin spork form.

David Jamieson
02-16-2005, 02:08 PM
the spork form is rare. you penetrate the skull with multiple hits with the tynes. Then strike to knock the top of the head off, then scoop out that brainy goodness with the spoon part!

It's all about head attacks with the shaolin spork.

People don't realize that this weapon is as old a practice as teh monks spade. Crazy man, just crazy.