PDA

View Full Version : Taiji/Tai Chi

Radplaiddude
01-21-2005, 10:46 AM
Are these the same styles of Praying Mantis . Just maybe a different way of pronouncing them. I was told our school is tai chi praying mantis. Sound right? Its not going to change my opinion of the school . JUst wanted to know. SEMPER FI

SaMantis
01-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Hi -- yes, they're the same. Taiji vs. Tai Chi, it's mainly just a difference in spelling by the translators. Taiji Tanglang = Supreme Ultimate Praying Mantis.

Good system, BTW.

mantis108
01-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Taiji is Mandarin pinying. Tai Chi is Cantonese pinying. They mean the same thing.

In Praying Mantis community today, these designations will give you an idea of where the style came from or what the lineage may look like.

Taiji Tanglang nowadays refers to the lineage in Shandong provence, mainland China specific to Jiang Hualong (1855 - 1924 CE) - Song Zide. It has nothing to do with Taijiquan the system. But like Taijiquan, it adhere to principle found in the I Ching (ie YinYang, Gangrou, and Huishi).

Although that's the current thought from the mainland Taiji Tanglang group, which remains quite traditional, it is IMHO that at one point other students of Jiang's teacher Liang Xuexiang (1810 - ? CE) coming from the Laiyang area also called their lineage Taiji Tanglang. This is the case with GM Chiu's line. GM Chiu had 2 teachers in Tanglang both came to Yantai form Laiyang. At least one of them called the style Taiji Tanglang. When GM Chiu finally relocated in Hong Kong where the dialect is Cantonese so Taiji became Tai Chi. After GM Chiu passed away in 1991, his students and grandstudents, begin to designate the lineage as Chiu Chuk Kai Tai Chi Praying Mantis (CCK TCPM) for us to identify ourselves more easily. This is also done to reflect the unique material and features of the our line such as the Taiji forms (4 of them), wooden dummy, Sau Fa, weaponry, etc...also the Jingwu Athletic Association influence.

Hope this helps

Mantis108

Radplaiddude
01-21-2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks, your like a mantis savant. Appreciate the guidance.

Young Mantis
01-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by mantis108
Taiji is Mandarin pinying. Tai Chi is Cantonese pinying. They mean the same thing.
Mantis108,

I know you speak Cantonese and your answer may have been just the easier way to explain the difference in spelling but to be more accurate for everyone else's benefit, the Cantonese pronunciation is Tai Gik. I believe the usage of Tai Chi was a mistake in romanizing the Mandarin pinyin by early Westerners much like the old spelling of Peking for Beijing. As you know, Peking is quite different from both the Mandarin and Cantonese pronunciations of the city's name. An example much closer to home would be kung fu vs. gung fu. In both Mandarin and Cantonese the word is pronounced with a "g" sound but Westerners used the "k" and it has become the more recognized spelling just like Tai Chi vs. Taiji.

YM

Hua Lin Laoshi
01-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Tai Chi, like Kung Fu, is Wade-Giles romanization I believe. Tai Ji and Gong Fu are pinyin romanization. But I'll differ to the experts.

SaMantis
01-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Makes sense -- I've never really figured out the difference between Wade-Giles and pinyin and often spell thing interchangeably.

Great lineage info, mantis108. Thanks :)

mantis108
01-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Hi Rad,

You are most welcome, my friend. I am glad to be of service. GM Chiu had so many students out there that we are just happy to find other such as Sifu Dang teaching the style out there. Please don't hestitate to contact us for anything concerning the style or training. Please send my regards to your teacher and your schoolmates. Thanks

Hi YM and Hualin,

Thanks for the clarification. You both are right. It is the Wade-Giles romanization which was commonly used during the colonial period Hong Kong. I should have made that clear.

Warm regards

Mantis108

mantis108
01-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Hope all is well with you. Glad you enjoyed the post.

Warm regards

Mantis108