PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong

popsider
10-29-2001, 04:08 PM
To those of you who have been to Hong Kong to train (I've only ever been there for work), what did you think of the wing chun out there - how do the practioners compare with what you are used to (if you live in HK you may want to chip in too) ?

jameswebsteruk
10-30-2001, 02:15 PM
Oooh, ooh, let me answer!

Im going there on Sunday for 10 days, for the third year in a row.

The teachers of course are suberb, particularly the ones who have been training for years, eg. Chu Shong Tin (who is such a nice guy), Yim Yuen Kung, Cliff Au Yueng, Wan Kam Leung etc etc.

However, their students, like all students the world over, vary tremendously, some are excellent, some are not.
Shock statement: It mostly depends on how much they train!!! ;)

I kind of expected to be totally outclassed at every turn, that HK would be the motherlode, every body would be loads better than here in the UK, but it was nice to realise that people are pretty much the same everywhere.

Having said that, there are some standouts. My favourite is a ladies hairdresser by the name of Mr.Ko, who trains at the WSL school in Kowloon. He was nickname "Psy-Ko", and it wasn't due to his skills with the scissors.

Another, who shall remain nameless due to Triad connections, was renowned a while back for never needing much more than jutsao and punches.

Then there is Wan Kam Leung, who has modified his WSL lineage training in several ways, which work extremely well for him, due to his tremendous power (even at 57), but I was less impressed with his students. However, I have huge respect for his personal abilities. Anyone who can get mugged by 3 people, repeatedly hit and stabbed in the head, then get up and put two of them in hospital whilst the other runs off, is a force to be reckoned with. We will be visiting his school again, and maybe I'll get a better idea once I've trained more with his students.

I feel like its almost christmas, Im that excited about going! Woot!

The chalice from the palace has the pellet with the poison,
The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!

saulauchung
10-30-2001, 04:26 PM
Frank, are you going with a group or by yourself? I see from your profile that you’re from the WSL lineage in the UK, does that mean you’ll train/visit mainly disciples of WSL?

How was the trip planned? Can you simply turn up at their doorstep and request a visit? If you want to train with their students, would you need to give something back by way of respect? Lastly can you tell me a brief schedule of your ten days there and where you’ll be staying?

PS, Apart from Yim Yuen Keung, Wan Kam Leung and Cliff Au Yeung, have/would you be also visiting Ng Chun Hong and Chiu Hok Yin?

Sharky
10-30-2001, 06:16 PM
i'm hoping to goto hong kong next year to train with ip chun with my school - it depends if i can save the £££. Ip said he won't be coming back to the uk (too old :( ) so it's really important for me to go there, as a personal thing.

Mainly only the instructors are going but i asked that if i could come up with the money, would i be able to go, and sifu said we'd try and work something out - i've only been at this present school a short while so it's really nice that they might be trusting enough to let me go.

That'd be in august next year.

Have fun frank! Don't go bein naughty with all those chinese birds :cool:

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

jameswebsteruk
10-30-2001, 06:21 PM
Im going with a group of 16 from the UK, and we are meeting 9 from Stuttgart there.

We have done this November trip since the 1st International Conference 3 years ago, and the numbers have grown steadily, from 3 to 25. Hell, if you want to come next year, and you are into WC, you are more than welcome. (Costs about £650 for 10 days, including flight on Cathay Pacific and nice hotel).

Yep, we are WSL lineage, and our priority is the WSL schools in the area. We have heard good things about Ng Chun Hong, so are indeed hoping for a visit to his school. Not sure about Chiu Hok Yin. Cliff Au Yueng's school is our main base of operations over there, as he has known my instructor since the 70s, and we get on well with his students. We also visit the VT Association headquarters quite a lot, and see the various schools there on different nights.

It can be a bit difficult to visit a school with 25 people, looks a bit like an invasion, so we have built up relationships over the last few years so there shouldnt be any problems.
Basically, my instructor and Cliff have talked to the heads of the various schools and arranged suitable times for visiting. If we are invited to train, we will, but dont assume that we are, and dont go with the intention of chisaoing every one we come across. I guess thats what you mean by respect?

At Cliff's school its a bit different, we can pretty much train there whenever we like. No costs have come up yet, we have just bought him presents, we may have to discuss that this year, if people are regularly training. Cliff is a real gentleman, on our last trip on the final night, he organized a fantastic free banquet of food and beer, we were eating, drinking, and Drunken Master-ing until 3 am.

I cant give you an exact itineray, as it is at home, but basically:

Visits to the main schools in the area, with the emphasis on WSL.
Visit to WSL's grave on HK Island, a beautiful place.
Visit to Yip Mans grave.
Meal every night with students from each school.
Lots of time at bars and clubs until the wee small hours.
Ribbing mates about possible lady-boy they snogged the previous night ;)
Buying cheap electronics in Tsim Sha Tsui.
Buying cheap software in Sham Sha Po. (spelling?)
Meal at the Bruce Lee Cafe, if not already closed down.
Visit to Stanley market for presents.
Ride around Aberdeen harbour on a Sampan, doing our best Bruce Lee impersonations.
Meal at Jumbo Floating Restaraunt.
Trip to the Peak.
Walk to the harbour at the end of Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui to see the skyline. :)

Basically, a fun filled combination of holiday and training, with lots of food, beer, and girls thrown in for good measure. Hey, I'm single. And young. Well, young-ish.

Hope this is what you wanted to know.

jameswebsteruk
10-30-2001, 06:26 PM
Sharky, if you dont manage to go with your current school in August, you can always come with us.

The more the merrier. Last year and this year two of my mates have come who have no interest in WC, they just wanted to see HK, and put up with the visits to schools.

And don't get me started on the girls... :)

saulauchung
10-30-2001, 08:42 PM
Cheers Frank for the indepth reply. ;)

It seems that Mr Au yeung is a really nice guy. Although I can't go (this year al least), I'm sure many of us would love to hear your (no doubt) indepth report on the HK WC scene... and the ladies also.

In particular I am very interested in the standard and variation (interpretations) of WC in HK and whether there is a standard gap between HK and the other countries. In this respect, I hope you could visit as many schools as possible and tell us your conclusion.

Thanks again. :cool:

jameswebsteruk
10-31-2001, 01:25 PM
I'll do my best.

Regards
Frank

Martin Foot
11-03-2001, 09:03 PM
Frank
I would be very interested in the possibility of tagging along on your next trip.
If you would be so kind to mail me some details of who I would need to make contact with for more info.
Have a great time.

Regards
Martin Foot
Body Mind & Spirit Kung Fu
;)

[This message was edited by Martin Foot on 11-04-01 at 11:12 AM.]