PDA

View Full Version : Samurai Fiction anyone?

tug
01-21-2005, 01:53 PM
Anyone seen/own/heard of it? It's been awhile, but I dusted it off the other day and watched it for the first time in about 2 years.

Thoughts, opinions, critiques, flames?

(this may have been discussed in the past, but I was probably not around for it then)

Anyway, it's f-in awesome, IMO, and if you don't know, you should definitely check it out. Highly recommended for your collection.

Mr. Ching, you must know something about this, given your vast knowledge of such things, no?

(will not be able to respond until Monday, so discuss amongst yourselves)

(or not :D )

Shaolinlueb
01-24-2005, 12:06 PM
yeah i saw it. its a decent flick. i saw it about 2/3 years ago. i liked it for what it was worth.

tug
01-24-2005, 12:14 PM
Didn't knock you off your feet, huh? Oh well, maybe I'm just very impressionable. I thought it was an interesting diversion with the modern soundtrack, good story, great special effects and slo-mo stuff.

PangQuan
01-24-2005, 01:09 PM
I actually really enjoyed this film. Seeing as how it was the first period film japan has done in many years. Also the Iaido master at the begining doing some moves was especially tight. I dont remember the name of the man or his lineage style but it was real cool. I thought in general it was badass, coulda had a bit more swordplay, but thats alright. Have you checked out that japanese film Versus ? its neat. There is this sword this guy has in it that he pieces it together from a briefcase. SO GNARLEY.

red5angel
01-24-2005, 04:05 PM
It's called Samurai Fiction? It just so happens I've been spending a lot of time reading about samurai and a good movie or two would be nice.

tug
01-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Red5, yes, "Samurai Fiction". I don't have it with me, so I'm at a loss when it comes to who directed/acted/produced, but I will try to remember to post that info tomorrow. Here in NYC, we have a veritable goldmine when it comes to underground and indie films (although I don't know if it falls into either of those categories), but you might have trouble finding it out where you are. Keep looking though, it's worth it. Also, keep in mind that it is most definitely NOT your garden variety samurai flick, it is a bit off the wall, but the beauty is in the production. They kept bushido at the heart of it, but made it fun instead of stuffy.

PQ - Versus? I will try to find it, sounds good, thanks. The only problem I had with SF is the choreography in the scene when Kazamatsuri runs into the thugs harassing the old man and his daughter. Kinda lame, but the rest of the movie kicks much azz.

tug
01-26-2005, 01:15 PM
Set in 1696, a film by Hiroyuki Nakano, starring Morio Kazama, Tomoyasu Hotei, Mitsuru Fukikoshi, Tamaki Ogawa, and Mari Natsuki, is a story about a b@stard samurai given the task of delivering a most precious sword to the shogunate.

Hijinks, hilarity, and bushido commence!!

Red5 - you may be able to find it here (www.daummedia.co.kr) or here (www.intdvd.co.kr)

Shaolinlueb
01-26-2005, 02:08 PM
your local bestbuy should have it. i saw it there. red shadow is another nice flick too. check out pokerindustries.com for good flicks. i dont provide a direct link because they also do have av movies form japan, korea, and china.

tug
01-26-2005, 02:18 PM
I don't know about bestbuy, it's about 5years or more old, but look anyway. I think my links are screwed also, so they probably won't help.

Lueb, while I'm thinking of it, have you heard/seen "Princess Blade"? That's another keeper, IMO.

red5angel
01-26-2005, 04:06 PM
awesome, thanks for the info!

Shaolinlueb
01-26-2005, 09:53 PM
yeah i saw princess blade. i picked it up a year or so ago. best buy has samuria fiction i saw it at the one near me a week or two ago. princess blade is nice, the girl in it is beautiful. she is in godzilla vs mechagodzilla 2002. i have a lot of stuff. ill try to get my list up again.

tug
01-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Wow, that's great considering I never even heard of it until I stumbled across it at my local "alternative" video place. I might just buy a couple more copies to spread the word. Princess Blade was one that took me by surprise, as I had no previous conceptions about the content. The cover looked interesting, so I bought it, and impulse buy sure, but I have nothing to complain about. Well, maybe the design of the swords, but other than that, it's great.

Good work!!