PDA

View Full Version : OT: RPI saves the world

WanderingMonk
01-21-2005, 06:40 PM
Okay, this is a big may be, but RPI PR machine are stating that their physcists have achieve "cold fusion" on the laboratory scale. the RPI team, oak ridge national laboratory, and russian academy of science will be publishing an article for peer review shortly.

so, if this is true, it might solve the emerging energy crisis. so, no WWIII. at least, we don't need to fight over energy in the future. plus, there's the added benefit that we won't have to buy gasoline from middle east anymore.

http://www.rpi.edu/web/News/press_releases/2004/lahey.htm#cool:

Becca
01-22-2005, 05:21 AM
So you don't think it will cause the stock market to crash, triggering another Great Depression? Just like the one that pretty much made a mess of most of the world back in the 1930s? The only way that we found recovery from was the WWII?:rolleyes:

I appriciate what you meen, but it will solve problems for the ecco system, but not so much for mankind in general. Atleast not in the immediate future.

David Jamieson
01-22-2005, 06:58 AM
nope...it'll get shelved and we will go on choking ourselves on oil while the current oil barons remain firmly wealthy and in control of the geo-politics surrounding their corporate concerns.

Becca
01-22-2005, 07:26 AM
I hope so. Your senario sounds less Dooms-Day-ish than mine.:(

WanderingMonk
01-22-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
nope...it'll get shelved and we will go on choking ourselves on oil while the current oil barons remain firmly wealthy and in control of the geo-politics surrounding their corporate concerns.

Let's see, Japan for long time has been a country importing oil from middle east. they just got the russian to agree to build a land route oil pipe line to Japan over a pipeline going to china which had been in the work (plans and negotiation for 10+ years) by offering heavy incentive. don't you think the Japanese would love to be able to take off this "oil shackle" on their economic security off their neck if they could? If cold fusion work, Japanese would be the first to jump on the bandwagon. If it really works, no oil baron can stop this.

Once the paper is publish, the basic method to do this is out. college grad students (physics and certain engineering department) can probably round up enough equipment to replicate this experiment. If it works, the genie is out of the bottle. there's no way to put it back.

MoreMisfortune
01-22-2005, 12:13 PM
im waiting for total destruction, im sure you humans wont disapoint me
sooner or later

Shaolinlueb
01-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Kung Lek

probably. bush is an oil tycoon so no coldfusion in the next 4 years. oil people are very wealthy and we are gonna have to put up with this cr*p for a long time.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-23-2005, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by WanderingMonk
If it really works, no oil baron can stop this.

except the one that pattents it.

David Jamieson
01-23-2005, 07:33 AM
or buys it. :p

I think many of this generation are tending towards nihilism and apocalyptic views...or so it seems. But then, we are products of our environment in so many ways aren't we?

It is also easier to be a pessimist and to want to push something that is already falling.

Careful now, life really is what you make it and not what you are told it is.

:D