PDA

View Full Version : Inner thigh strengthers

bung bo
01-21-2005, 08:46 PM
My massage therapist told me that my hip rotators are short and said I should work on strengthening them. He showed me one exercise with a band. Can I do any BW stuff that would hit them?

Vash
01-21-2005, 09:58 PM
Natural Glute-Ham Raise
traditional bodyweight squats

If you have access to a glute-ham raise bench, or a hyperextension bench, then they too work the hammies, and can affect postively, the "inner thigh."

Toby
01-23-2005, 06:06 PM
My standard reply to everything: squats :p. But powerlifting-style with a wide stance. Push your knees out. What about some ma bu as well, super-low.

IronFist
01-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Oops, I thought you said stretches.

You could use that girly abductor/adductor machine that all the girls use. Gym owners only get those because they attract female clientelle who believe in spot reduction.

But you could use the squeezing in one if you wanted.

Notice I didn't give it a specific name because I always forget which is abduction and which is adduction :)

Serpent
01-23-2005, 11:59 PM
Abduction - to take away
Adduction - to bring together

;)

rubthebuddha
01-24-2005, 12:00 AM
adductors are on the inside of the groin and pull your legs in. abductors do the opposite.

for abductors, do this: http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000666.html

for adductors, make a position similar to what she does with the leg raised, but have that leg rest on a table/chair. then lift the other leg up to it as many times as you wish.

Oso
01-24-2005, 09:44 AM
bung bo: what about that exercise from our warm up?

Description:

From a super wide horse keep facing forward and shift all the way to the right and drop down all the way.

Shift left while staying low and about 3/4 of the way to the other side rise and turn to face left.

Face back forward and drop low on the left side now and shift across the bottom rising and facing right.

Basically it's going from horse to hill climbing but very low. I've found it to be a great exercise for the adductors.

Chief Fox
01-24-2005, 10:05 AM
I'm surprised no one has suggested THIS (http://www.suzannesomers.com/Products/Thighmaster/Default.asp)
:D

bung bo
01-24-2005, 06:03 PM
Chief Fox--Actually, one of my classmates who is also an LMT suggested that to me a while ago, but I never got it.

Oso--I totally forgot about that. Will do.

Thanks for all the answers.

Chief Fox
01-24-2005, 10:31 PM
Actually I was just kidding about the thigh master. But here's one thing you can do while you're doing what Oso recommended.

Drop into a wide horse stance with your thighs parallel to the ground. Then squeeze the ground with your feet. Like you're trying to stand up straight by squeezing your legs together. Do this for as long as you can hold it. Rest for 15 seconds widen the stance and squeeze again. Keep doing this until you just can't do it any more. Remember to keep your thighs parallel to the ground.

This is what Thomas Kurz recommends in his book "Stretching Scientifically".

Oso
01-24-2005, 11:14 PM
hmmmm, that's what I teach to develop 'root'...in addition to the opposite movement...pushing out to grab the ground.

IronFist
01-24-2005, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
Abduction - to take away
Adduction - to bring together

;)

Thanks. For some reason I'd always think "abduct" was "bring toward your abs." That's why I'd always get them backwards. I'll try to remember your way now :)

Serpent
01-25-2005, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by Chief Fox
Drop into a wide horse stance with your thighs parallel to the ground. Then squeeze the ground with your feet. Like you're trying to stand up straight by squeezing your legs together. Do this for as long as you can hold it. Rest for 15 seconds widen the stance and squeeze again. Keep doing this until you just can't do it any more. Remember to keep your thighs parallel to the ground.

This is what Thomas Kurz recommends in his book "Stretching Scientifically". Actually, this reminds me of a good adductor exercise. Put on some socks and find a wood or lino floor. Go into a wide stance and draw your feet together while keeping your legs straight, letting your feet slide together. Slide open and repeat. Be careful of your knees - keep them slightly bent if you feel too much pressure on them. It's a lot cheaper than a ThighMaster. And a lot less fvcked.

shaolinsoccer
01-25-2005, 07:50 AM
You can also go into the wide stance & try to pull your feet together. Keep your knees bent a bit. Just pull in on the exhales. Try to go lower & lower. This will work them out.

bung bo
01-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Oso--didn't your old hung gar teacher teach you that rooting exercise? I think I remember you writing that before. Anyway, that sounds like a good one.