PDA

View Full Version : There goes Johnny.

rogue
01-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Johnny Carson is dead. I remember staying up late as a kid and watching his show when it was done in NYC. Nobody did that format better than Carson. RIP.:(

rubthebuddha
01-23-2005, 04:22 PM
the one line i'll always remember from his show. was around 15 years ago:

"may the wind be always at your back, but never be in back of anyone else's wind."

johnny was missed enough after his retirement. now there's no chance for a comeback. :(

rogue
01-23-2005, 04:42 PM
The weirdness is I was just explaining to my son who he was this morning.

SPJ
01-23-2005, 05:53 PM
My eyes were glued to tonite show on NBC in the late 80's and early 90'.

He would make instant or impromptu political jokes.

Jay Leno is a total different flavor.

I admired J Carson very much.

I came to the states in the summer of 1987.

It was the only show I truly enjoyed. I studied in the library. Then I would go back to dorm, take a shower and watch the show before go to bed.

All the American college mates knew that I, the Chinaman from Taiwan, watched the show and laughed.

They also knew I practiced Tai Ji, Ba Gua, Tong Bei and Mantis every morning.

Well they did not. They only knew I am doing karate.

That was 1987.

rubthebuddha
01-23-2005, 09:17 PM
keep the memories and quotes coming, chaps. the best way to honor such a great entertainer is by remembering the things he shared with us.

SPJ
01-23-2005, 09:21 PM
The first couple of years when I was in the states, I was very stressed.

The studies and integrating into the campus life etc.

J Carson always made me laugh. I smiled and a couple of more jokes later, I laughed.

Before I ended the first laugh, here came the second and the third.

I was much relaxed.

I faithfully watched every single show if I could.

I hated the reruns. Because I already "remembered" the jokes.

The other person would make me laugh is Bob Hope.

They really bring out laughs in me.

I think for the most part, J Carson's jokes are based on good info of the day especially the political news one.

I myself was an info seeker, too.

I read the news in the paper or watched on TV. Guess what I knew J Carson would come up jokes with them.

It was refreshing, amusing, --

After a while, even before he said anything, just a wink at the eyebrow, I was ready to laugh.

Relieve a lot of negative Qi from me in those days.

Sad to know that a people that brought some many laughters to so many people for so long is gone.

Fen
01-23-2005, 10:26 PM
HERE...."S JONNY!!! <----Ed McMan Staring Jonny Carson and the Tonight Show Band! Then on after the to night show was Kung fu Theater on friday nights... Dam, those where the days! Now I really feel old!!! :(

Here is a link to Yahoo News all!!
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20050124/ap_on_en_tv/obit_carson

~Jason

Ming Yue
01-24-2005, 11:55 AM
I grew up with the tonight show on TV - my parents watched it every night...

one favorite moment...

Johnny, with a baby marmoset (or something like that) on his head, looking very surprised and saying:

"Is he spitting?!? He'd better be spitting!"