PDA

View Full Version : I met David Caradine today...

SimonM
01-23-2005, 05:08 PM
He was at the local sword store (Reliks) promoting replicas from Kill Bill. He has gotten OLD. Anyway, I got him to sign the hilt of the Bokken I was buying.

rogue
01-23-2005, 05:22 PM
Time is just beats the hell out of youth.

scholar
01-23-2005, 05:25 PM
The Hollywood lifestyle will sure take it out of you.

To thoroughly realise Carradine's true Kung Fu skill it is required to undergo a 30 year diet of vodka and cocaine...

SPJ
01-23-2005, 05:48 PM
It has been more than 30 years since the TV Show.

I have the first season in DVD.

Serpent
01-23-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by SimonM
He has gotten OLD. Anyway, I got him to sign the hilt of the Bokken I was buying. Why would you de-value a bokken like that?

joedoe
01-23-2005, 08:56 PM
I hope you are getting counselling.

SimonM
01-24-2005, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
Why would you de-value a bokken like that?

<chuckle>

Actually he signed it in water soluble marker. The signature is already almost gone after one evening of use. Oh well, nothing in life is permanent. ;)

Seriously, I am aware of Caradine's life of debauch it's just that I always picture the guy from Kung Fu: the Legend Continues; a robust man in his mid fifties. Since that TV show was my first exposure to Kung Fu (the martial art) as a child it has some nostalgic significance for me.

SPJ
01-24-2005, 08:06 AM
To most people, the TV show is western stories with Kung Fu twists.

To me, it is the opposite.

They are good Chan/Zen stories with western cowboy twists.

I like every single episode.

The fighting sets are slow but straightforward.

The moves are mixtures of a little bit of everything.

The stories unfold slowly. It was the tempo in the "70.

More drama. Action is only a few minutes. If you want to see fights all the time, you may be disappointed.

The stories or saying make you think for a long time.

I was always annoyed with his "perhaps". Perhaps there are too many perhaps.

There are several paths. It was never straight yes or no.

That is Daoism and Chan.

Oso
01-24-2005, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by SimonM

Seriously, I am aware of Caradine's life of debauch it's just that I always picture the guy from Kung Fu: the Legend Continues; a robust man in his mid fifties. Since that TV show was my first exposure to Kung Fu (the martial art) as a child it has some nostalgic significance for me.

dammmmmm, did he make anyone else feel old as hell with that statement?

BM2
01-24-2005, 10:14 AM
Yeah it did. I wrote a reply but it made me feel even older and I deleted it. I watched it when it first came out in the '70s and I was in grade school.

mickey
01-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Greetings,

David never appeared more happy than when he portrayed Chang Sha in Circle of Iron. He actually glowed.

He also seemed to enjoy the role of Cole Younger in the Long Riders.

Oh yes, the role of Frankenstein in Death Race 2000. A very hilarious film.

mickey

SevenStar
01-24-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Oso
dammmmmm, did he make anyone else feel old as hell with that statement?

No comment. :D

SimonM
01-24-2005, 12:23 PM
I did the math and I was 14 years old when KF:tLC came on the air.

tug
01-24-2005, 12:32 PM
Just trying to make Oso feel older.

Ok, I'M not, but I am with you man, one of my first experiences with tv, much less KF or MA in general, was the original series.

(I now have seasons 1 and 2 on dvd)

PangQuan
01-24-2005, 12:43 PM
Does Caradine even have any Kenjitsu, Iaido, or Kendo experiences?

Wolfen, Simon, do either of you practice one or all of the above named japanese fencing arts?

SPJ
01-24-2005, 12:50 PM
I need to go to the store and get the 2nd season DVD.

:D

SimonM
01-24-2005, 01:08 PM
A very small ammount of Gumdo.

PangQuan
01-24-2005, 02:34 PM
Thats cool, that could be held in comparison with Kenjitsu. I have never seen any gumdo style, what type of sword is used in this art?

The Willow Sword
01-24-2005, 05:29 PM
He was on the KLBJ morning show back in '99. he was in austin promoting a play he was doing at the paramount theatre there.

i called in and was able to chat with him about how to score a copy of "Circle of iron" aka "the silent flute"(my favorite role of his)

of course his answer was "Ebay" (hehe which i already knew i just wanted to talk to the guy:D )

anyway his training has been more for the movies as he had said when i talked to him that he was mainly trained on the set of Kung fu. he had no real knowledge of CMA then,,he himself did a little bit of Boxing and gymnastics back then.
He was actually very nice and was modest about his training,,and had said also that most of the guys who trained him in later years were younger guys who were inspired to take martial arts because of the Kung fu series.

hahahah now about "kung fu the legend continues"??? hehe no comment:rolleyes:

Peace,,TWS

SPJ
01-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Cool.

:cool:

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-25-2005, 01:15 AM
that is an interesting twist aint it.

tug
01-25-2005, 02:02 PM
My sister (doing her best for me while not knowing what she was doing) sent me "Shaolin Cardio Kick-boxing" with Carradine.

It's ok for those who don't know or have not seen the real deal, but the fact that he never had any formal MA training shows, and is a little embarrassing.

Don't get me wrong, I grew up watching the guy on tv, and for a time, he was quite an inspiration.

I'd like to think I am older/wiser than I was then, maybe even in some small part because of him, but conversely, I CAN see the forest for the trees now.

tug
01-26-2005, 02:21 PM
Iaido is the shiznay of all shiznays.

Oso
01-26-2005, 09:00 PM
ok, so his martial ability is a joke.

and his drinking may be an issue.

and maybe Bruce should have gotten the part.

but, he was the image that gave many of us a dream.

just saying.

Mo Lung
01-26-2005, 09:55 PM
Yet another lesson that you should never ruin the legend by looking for the details. ;)

SimonM
01-27-2005, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by PangQuan
Thats cool, that could be held in comparison with Kenjitsu. I have never seen any gumdo style, what type of sword is used in this art?

Katana, the Koreans liked them just about as much as the Japanese.

tug
01-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Oso and Mo Lung, you have the correct.

Wolfen, it means good, or actually, the "be all, end all" IMO.

SPJ
01-28-2005, 05:51 PM
Cool quotes.

:cool:

SPJ
01-29-2005, 08:01 AM
In vol 1,

Jodie Foster is still with us.

She played the musical instrument.

She is the girl who likes to speak of the truth.

SPJ
01-29-2005, 08:11 AM
KB vol 1, I think too many graphic violent scenes.

Uma is to revenge and get everyone else in the Gang before she can get to Bill. The teacher, the leader, the husband.

All the ethics and trust are broken down.

Understood, if you leave a gang, you will be hunted down.

Uma did it for the baby.

If Uma did not get the Gang, the gang will get to her.

But the baby.

It is so much easier for them to take a life than to give a life.

SPJ
01-29-2005, 08:15 AM
Then you know that,

No money is enough.

No retirement for them.

Uma is the best and too young to retire.

There should be arrangements to keep both party happy and keep the baby away from all this.

Do they have to do it this way, the gang or Uma?

SimonM
01-29-2005, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by wolfen

==================
SimonM...

Does the Korean Style have 10 standardized Kata such as set down by the Japan Kendo Federation or do they even do the same Waza?
Most Iaidoka study these 10 Kata as well as the Kata of their own school (ryu). I got some video somewhere of these 10 basic Kata.

==========================

I'll be honest, I don't know. I know a very small smattering having just started the lessons in Gumdo. ;)

One of the instructors at my school went to Korea and brought it back with him. I have been focussing mostly on Jian the last 6 months and just recently started adding the Gumdo material to my repitoir.

It has improved my power on slashing techniques; my stabbing attacks already had decent power because I learned some fencing as a young child and my body remembered it when I picked up the Jian.

shane2112
01-29-2005, 09:08 AM
david carradine is cool, hes my hero, lol, mostly because of Kung Fu and Kung Fu - The Legend Continues

SimonM
01-29-2005, 11:05 AM
Are you the shane I think you are?

shane2112
01-29-2005, 11:06 AM
i dont know any simons

SimonM
01-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Ok there is a Shane at my school. I thought you might be him...