PDA

View Full Version : Cricket Style?

Yung Apprentice
01-24-2005, 06:19 AM
A friend of mine who once lived in China for a few years, told me he trained in a cricket stlye of Kung Fu. I didn't believe him, because I had never heard of it mentioned anywhere. He showed part of a form, before he was interrupted (we were at work) which is why I came here to be certain. I could be wrong, since there are many styles I've never heard of.

Starchaser107
01-24-2005, 01:49 PM
there is a bazillion different types of kung fu out there. more than likely its not an established style, either a modern folk style or some really obscure form of kung fu.

or

your friend could just be taking you for a ride.

GeneChing
01-24-2005, 02:47 PM
I once heard of a flea style, but no cricket. The Chinese do love crickets, so it could be plausible. I've just never heard of it.

joedoe
01-24-2005, 04:09 PM
Cricket style - they wear leg and body padding and helmets. Primary weapon is a willow bat, or a hard cork-filled ball. They are guardians of a sacred relics they call 'wickets' and 'bails'.

Starchaser107
01-24-2005, 04:21 PM
must be a japanese style because they all wear white gi

mickey
01-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Greetings,

I remember seeing the Praying Mantis style in a few documtaries from Mainland China several years ago. The English translation in the subtitle was cricket.

mickey

Yung Apprentice
01-24-2005, 06:05 PM
I figured he was full of crap. He was telling me how it's similar to the monkey style as your in a crouched position. He wasn't BS'ing about being in China for three years, but a cricket style? I figured to make sure by ask yall on here before I completely wavedm him off.

Michaelwalter77
01-24-2005, 07:20 PM
It could be mantis and the name got screwed up in translation.
look at his form and cross referance it with mantis and see if you can find a match.

Wharg0ul
01-25-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Yung Apprentice
I figured he was full of crap. He was telling me how it's similar to the monkey style as your in a crouched position. He wasn't BS'ing about being in China for three years, but a cricket style? I figured to make sure by ask yall on here before I completely wavedm him off.

Sounds like mantis to me.

Yung Apprentice
01-26-2005, 09:29 AM
Maybe, I couldn't tell you, I've only seen one form from a mantis style, and it was done in an upright postition. This starts out in a crouched position, and the few movements he did before he was interrupted, continued it's movement crouched.

I had read that the mantis style borrowed stuff from the moneky style, so perhaps your right.

norther practitioner
01-26-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Wharg0ul
Sounds like mantis to me.

You do a crouched Mantis??

I thought you studied Shaolin do.... Do you have any experience with mantis?

:confused:

GeneChing
01-26-2005, 02:41 PM
I'm told flea style is a crouching style. I've never witnessed it myself, but I have it on good authority.

Hua Lin Laoshi
01-26-2005, 02:54 PM
I thought Flea was a style of bass guitar? :)

Yung Apprentice
Plenty of mantis video on the NPM forum. Watch a few of those and see they look anything like what you saw.

Yung Apprentice
01-26-2005, 07:43 PM
I'm going to have to see him do a complete form, I only saw him start off in a crouched position, with his finger tips touching the ground, and he showed me couple steps of how they move.

Wharg0ul
01-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
You do a crouched Mantis??

I thought you studied Shaolin do.... Do you have any experience with mantis?

:confused:

I do practice Shaolin-Do. However, I'm 32...I've been around for a while.

If you remember from all the legends/stories surrounding the origins of mantis, monkey footwork was added to the initial mantis style to complete and strengthen it. Since no one seems to recognise a "cricket" style, but the footwork is being described in a way that suggests monkey, this leads me to deduce that it may in fact be mantis.

This is, however, only my opinion based on what has been discussed here.

Judge Pen
01-27-2005, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Wharg0ul
I do practice Shaolin-Do. However, I'm 32...I've been around for a while.

If you remember from all the legends/stories surrounding the origins of mantis, monkey footwork was added to the initial mantis style to complete and strengthen it. Since no one seems to recognise a "cricket" style, but the footwork is being described in a way that suggests monkey, this leads me to deduce that it may in fact be mantis.

This is, however, only my opinion based on what has been discussed here.

Nice post Wharg0ul. I was thinking the same thing when they mentioned the monkey footwork.

mickey
01-28-2005, 05:27 PM
Hey Yung Apprentice,

Don't leave us hanging like this! We want to know.

If you are STILL not sure try this:

Have your friend perform his form in front of you. while he is getting into it, TURN OFF THE LIGHTS. If there are NO cricket sounds to be HEARD then it is indeed a mantis style.

P.S.: Wear adequate riot gear when doing this. Your death is not my fault.

mickey

Yung Apprentice
01-30-2005, 11:11 AM
I downloaded a few PM vidoes, but none of them started in a crouched position. I would have dl'ed more, but I have dial up, and it took for ever just to dl a couple.

I've been at some mandatory training classes, so I haven't been able to see him for about a week. I'll see him today, but it'll be at work, so I doubt I'll be able to get him to do it there.