PDA

View Full Version : New Martial art Opportunities

Feral Tiger
01-24-2005, 09:25 AM
Hi, recently I have had to quit kungfu with my teacher Grandmaster Pan and I am in the process of looking for a new teacher. The two teachers that interest me the most are Grandmaster Shouyu Liang and Master Zhong yunlong. I like the fact that Gm Liang lives in Canada, but I also like the idea of travelling to china and practicing kungfu everyday with Master Zhong. So I知 asking you guys if anyone has trained with either or knows someone who has and if you can give me any information on your personal experiences there. I am very interested in competing in tournaments and I like practical training. Also my two favourite arts of xingyi and Bagua, which I知 pretty sure, they both know.

-thanks (sorry for any spelling mistakes I知 in a hurry)

Brad
01-25-2005, 08:12 AM
I think traveling to China is a great experience, even without the wushu training. If you really want to learn bagua there though, it might be a good idea to shop around a bit. I've heard there's lots of good bagua in Beijing, for example... Sometimes this Wudang stuff is really good, but a lot of other times it's pretty shady.

My teacher didn't particularly care for Liang's Bagua book, but I'm not sure if it was the forms themselves he didn't like, or that he fudged the lineage.

ketchup
01-30-2005, 08:15 PM
I live in Vancouver and have given up on finding good, practical, authentic hsing i or bagua here and have studied with or checked out pretty much all the well known teachers of those arts here, or know others who have. I have not heard good things about Liang's bagua or xing i, although I think his wushu is good. There is, however, some good Okinawan karate here if you're interested.