PDA

View Full Version : Training Journal Suggestion

Rand
01-24-2005, 09:40 AM
All,

Given some of the recent threads concerning experiences while practicing qigong, I would like to suggest that folks keep a journal of their training experiences.

I have done this for some time and have found that it is very interesting. Basically, the method that I practice does not lend itself to "moving" qi or any thought during the training. All I do is concentrate on deep breathing. I guess the "westerner" in me still recognizes any unusal physical experiences during the training. At the end of the training session I write down any physical experiences that happened during the session.

Looking back over it I find numerous points of interest. Things like the first time that I experienced a feeling as if my palms were "breathing". Later, the same feeling in the soles of my feet. A couple of months later of how the "breathing" had moved from just my palms to all the way up my forearms. Later, how it seemed that the entire surface of my body "breathed". These are just a few of the experiences that I've had while practicing qigong. If I had not maintained a journal, I would have surely forgotten many of the experiences and not be able to share them with others.

Rand

monkeyfoot
01-26-2005, 10:59 AM
in qigong one of the most important things to remember is that 'movement follows breath' and not that 'breath follows movement'.

They say that the feeling that you mentioned where it almost feels like your body is breathing you means that your movement and breathing are perfect.

The feeling from the hands is a very common thing as one of your Qi vortices named laogong is situated in the middle of your palms.

Qi vortices are places along the body where Qi can surface and come from external to internal and vise versa. When you feel like you are breathing through these points it is because you are actually taking Qi through them (in this case heavenly Qi).

Im going to record my experiences from now on aswell.

craig

Rand
01-27-2005, 08:12 AM
Craig,

Can you expand on your comments regarding "movement follows breath".

I would enjoy your thoughts on this concept.

Thanks,
Rand

monkeyfoot
01-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Hey Rand.
In this post I will use my own words aswell as quotation to aid clarity.
My original post mentioned the unity between movement and breath and this was to explain that the feeling where your body feels like its breathing signifies perfect unison of breath and movement. Anyway onto the concept.
This was basically expanding on the point of the harmony mentioned above.

Basically the rule to remember in Qigong is that
''Qigong movement should follow the relaxed breath. The breath should never chase the movement''

Getting your breathing sorted in harmony with movement is a fundermental point to remember if success in Qigong is going to be achieved.
If you adopt the rule above then it will prevent your movements from speeding up, because if you are truely relaxed, your breathing will become slower and deeper, and your movements will follow that pace. 'Often when observing beginners perform Qigong, it is noticeable that many will increase the pace of the movements as they get bored and try to finish the session more quickly. Consequently their breathing speeds up, which ruins their equanimity. This causes more impatience to finish as they enter a progressively descending spiral of the breath chasing the movement'. As a result you basically waste your time.

Once breathing and movements are co-ordinated in the natural, relaxed way, you can use your intention, your Yi, to lead the movements and ultimatly lead the Qi.

ok?
craig