PDA

View Full Version : Critique of workout plan

Ruah Boxer
01-25-2005, 11:21 AM
2 Day Split Workout
Torso / Legs & Arms

ABXABXX

I usually always lift as heavy as I can and I shoot for 3 sets of 10 reps with a minute rest between sets. Something around 3 minute break between exercises.

Workout A: Torso

1. Benchpress: Chest
2. Widegrip pull up: Lats
3. Incline benchpress: Chest
4. Some sort of horn-like device. I have no idea what it's called, but I know it's for the back in general.
5. Military press: Deltoid
6. Upright row *using barbell*: Deltoid

Workout B: Legs & Arms

1. Squat
2. Lying Tricep extension
3. Deadlift
4. Curls
5. Abs and Obliques

I'll usually jump rope for about 15 minutes after every workout if I have the time and I'm up to it.

I'm looking for strength gains and a bit of body sculpting. Obviously making gains in strength usurp any sort of aesthetic goals.

If anybody has any suggestions - like taking this or that away or putting this or that in - I would really appreciate any help. I feel like I'm getting the general sense of how to weight train but I still feel like because a lot of this stuff is done by myself on my own free time that I might be missing key factors that more experience people know about.

Toby
01-25-2005, 05:09 PM
I don't mind your workout. But if I were focusing on strength, I'd not do 3x10, but drop the reps/set. Maybe 5x5s, or 6-8x3s. Then you can also increase the weight per set. 3x10 will be OK if you're learning though - OK to learn lifting form etc.

Ruah Boxer
01-26-2005, 09:17 AM
What would the rest periods be for a 5x5 scheme and would I increase weight or decrease weight through each rep?

Toby
01-26-2005, 05:23 PM
For strength, longer rests are necessary. 3min minimum. If I were doing 5x5, I'd probably sort of pyramid, so 70-80-90-100-90% for each set. Or I might do a "Bear" type workout: 100-90-80-80-80%. The latter suits my personal preference more. I always do best if my heavy set is early.

StreetYogi
02-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Your workout looks great but I agree with the others. I would limit reps to 3-4, with 3 min rests in between sets and increase the weight. Other than that, the exercises are solid and the order of exercises are good.

Stan
www.yogifitness.com