PDA

View Full Version : Offense vs. Defence, Where do you stand?

PangQuan
01-25-2005, 01:09 PM
In regards to sparring, I personally like to take a strong Offensive Defence. I find it easy to defend against attacks, especially the first few in a string, and the openings your opponents create on themselves are great. I find that (personally) it is easier to do more damage when I am on the defence. Counters make for great openings and leads, and I find take downs are pretty easy when your oppenent makes themselves fall over your foot or hip.

Now in fighting, (although i dont go out and pick fights with strangers) I seem to feel that I would lead with a strong defensive offense. I am not sure why I feel this way, it may be the kill or die mentallity at work, and of course it would depend on my on the spot determination of my opponents skill level and fighting capability. (always expect a good fighter for one)

How bout you?

MonkeySlap Too
01-25-2005, 02:09 PM
where do I stand?

in your spot.

SPJ
01-25-2005, 08:49 PM
In every defense, there is an offense.

In every offense, there is a defense.

You move. I move.

You move to my right. I move to your right.

You move forward. I move to your side or back half a step.

You move back. I move forward.

You go high. I go low.

You go low. I go high.

You go to my right. I go to your right.

SPJ
01-25-2005, 08:51 PM
In Ba Ji;

You get close to me. I get even closer to you.

The opponent's offense is neutralized by confining, silk reeling, or moving away an inch.

You move in with your own attack at the same time.

SPJ
01-25-2005, 08:54 PM
In Tong Bei;

The attacking hand may turn into defending hand.

The defending hand may turn into attacking hand.

The opponent does not know you are advancing or retreating.

The opponent does not know it is raining or cloudy.

He does not know if it is a noise or the real attack.

SPJ
01-25-2005, 08:56 PM
In Tai Ji;

You are neutralizing the opponent's Jing and releasing your own Jing at the same time.

Hua Fa.

In short, there is offense in the defense. There is defense in your offense.

Vash
01-25-2005, 09:33 PM
Dayum, ever'thin' SPJ said is in my karate.

So, I'll just say "look at SPJ and MonkeySlap Too for teh correct."

red5angel
01-26-2005, 09:16 AM
I'm not fast enough to have a good defense. It's mediocre in my opinion so I work more on offense and trying to dish out more damage then my opponent can. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

SevenStar
01-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by MonkeySlap Too
where do I stand?

in your spot.

bingo.

SevenStar
01-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Vash
Dayum, ever'thin' SPJ said is in my karate.

So, I'll just say "look at SPJ and MonkeySlap Too for teh correct."

sounds like thai boxing also.

PangQuan
01-26-2005, 05:53 PM
I like to hear what others think on things like this, in my experience different styles have alot in common but at the same time there are different techniques and methods that are stressed, it is always fun to hear about those differences, since there is no right way but only one way to do everything. Its cool, some like to get defensive, some get offensive in there posts some like to give what they feel, that in itself, i feel, is a good mental extension of ones methods. Thanks for the feed back you all. SPJ i like your method. its slick, informative, non confrontational, and upright. Keep it up.

joedoe
01-26-2005, 05:57 PM
I prefer defence and counter-attack. Sometimes you have to become more offensive, depending on your opponent. Defence is safer and in a lot of ways easier.

Having said all that, this is only really applicable in a sparring situation. In a fight situation you have to be aggressive, and that usually means attack.

Mo Lung
01-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
sounds like thai boxing also. Basically, it sounds like fighting. Therefore, every art that practices actual fighting should share the same principles. All roads lead to Rome - you just choose a journey and route that appeals to you. And if you end up in hospital in Naples, you know your teacher was bunk. ;)

Wharg0ul
01-26-2005, 09:47 PM
really depends on what I'm working on, or what style I'm using, as far as sparring goes. Currently I'm focusing on counters, and timing, so I'm a bit defensive.

In a real fight, I always play defensive, and I let the agressor swing first. This way, when the cops show up, THEY go to jail/drunk tank, not me :D

Vash
01-26-2005, 09:53 PM
In sparring, I'm working on actually applying karate mechanics, principles of movement. I'm taking more shots, but I'm slowly relearning how to "throw down." I'm sure I'll be more after I get more sparring in.

SevenStar
01-27-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by PangQuan
I like to hear what others think on things like this, in my experience different styles have alot in common but at the same time there are different techniques and methods that are stressed, it is always fun to hear about those differences, since there is no right way but only one way to do everything. Its cool, some like to get defensive, some get offensive in there posts some like to give what they feel, that in itself, i feel, is a good mental extension of ones methods. Thanks for the feed back you all. SPJ i like your method. its slick, informative, non confrontational, and upright. Keep it up.

despite the different methods stressed, the biggest factor here is human. Different personality types will be different types of fighters. thai boxing is very aggressive and offensive, but there are guys who are counterfighters, guys that are offensive and guys that are mixed and guys that are deceptive. A buddy of mine and I have had the exact same training under several of the same teachers, yet we fight completely different. We recently had a discussion about that. Different individuals develop their style in different ways.

PangQuan
01-27-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
despite the different methods stressed, the biggest factor here is human. Different personality types will be different types of fighters. thai boxing is very aggressive and offensive, but there are guys who are counterfighters, guys that are offensive and guys that are mixed and guys that are deceptive. A buddy of mine and I have had the exact same training under several of the same teachers, yet we fight completely different. We recently had a discussion about that. Different individuals develop their style in different ways.

This is a statement I would agree with 100%, you may learn a style yet you will still make it your own. Like I always say; Its not the martial art that makes the man, its the man that makes the martial art.