PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Training Vids?

zenile
01-26-2005, 08:10 AM
Hi All,

Can someone recommend any good 7* Training videos for the beginning sets? I studied PM about 3 years ago, but have since had to move onto a new style after moving. The area I now live in doesn't have a praying mantis school near me, but I would like to have refreshen my memory on the forms that I have previously learned. In particular, I was looking for Tsahp Tchoy, Bung Bo, Sup Baht Sao, and Bahk Yuen Tchut Dhong. I appreciate any suggestions and/or advice. Thanks!

Radplaiddude
01-27-2005, 07:48 AM
Ive seen some adds for Sifu J Funk . He has a set of videos out Ck out a KUng fu mag and you will find it. Or go to his web site.

Radplaiddude
01-27-2005, 08:33 AM
Ive seen some adds for Sifu J Funk . He has a set of videos out Ck out a KUng fu mag and you will find it. Or go to his web site.

holymantis
01-30-2005, 07:31 AM
hello,
the jon funk videos are very good for learning from .
and so is the videos from master paul drummond .
as for books i like the master paul eng books as for breakdowns of each move . there are lotsof books and videos out there all you have to do is look

Three Harmonies
01-30-2005, 07:57 AM
:D

sayloc
01-30-2005, 08:19 AM
Are jon funks vids the actual form or does he alter the forms on the vids to sell to the public?

thanks

yu shan
01-30-2005, 09:11 AM
holymantis, can you tell me a little more about P. Drummond`s videos? Is there a web-site I can go to? Thanks

shirkers1
01-30-2005, 01:32 PM
sayloc

They are the actual forms.

The jon funk vids are pretty in depth. He'll run through the set once or twice (depending on the set) once fast then slow. Then he breaks down each movement with a partner to show the ap. Pretty well done and easy to follow if you're a novice or just wanting to pick up the sets. You just have to speak canajian though to understand him. ;) bad joke.

mantis108
01-30-2005, 02:04 PM
I am partial to Tainan Mantis' Ba Bu Lian Huan Video. It is not a Mantis form per se but there are techniques and drills that are mantis based. I think you will get a better picture of training and applying mantis from it.

So contact Tainan Mantis. I think it was going for $40 USD. Shipping included?

Mantis108

Three Harmonies
01-30-2005, 02:16 PM
I do not play HK Seven Star, but I have heard he has altered some of the forms (Funk, not Brazier)! Not sure if this is true, but just a nasty rumor. I have many of the vids and they are some of the best out there. I use them soleely for reference or to see some one elses applications ideas. I think they are good in that sense, but one should never try to learn a form from a vid.

Cheers
Jake :D

yu shan
01-30-2005, 02:46 PM
:D Mantis 108

Absolutely 100% agree with you on Shifu Braziers Ba Bu Lian Huan video! Simple form, but LOTS of material on this effort. A real steal for the cost.

holymantis
01-31-2005, 02:49 AM
the master paul drummond videos that i have seen are from a martail arts shop called GWANGUNG you can find it on the net.
there are only 3 videos that i know of there may be more?.
they show the form and the applications which look very good .
i think they are "dai fu yan" "fei ngaan dzerng" and i think "bo sim"

holymantis
01-31-2005, 02:53 AM
also,
the jon funk videos the weapon sets are very good as a training tool and the hand sets as well .
there is a video out as well from my last master .
master lee kok seng it's called 14 routes . which i have seen on e-bay a lot

Three Harmonies
01-31-2005, 07:21 AM
Holymantis
I could not find any Mantis vids on www.gwangung.com ? ANy other suggestions?

Thanks
Jake :D

CCY mantis
01-31-2005, 09:45 AM
Just to clarify, John Funk does alter his forms for the videos. Al Cheng did this too. Usually they just left acouple of motions out, but some were changed. Still good vids though. If you have the WHF books , the omitted motions can be found..

shirkers1
01-31-2005, 09:51 AM
Just to clarify my post, the funk forms are still the actual forms. Not some made up thing for tourneys with over exagerated flips, etc added is what I was saying. Everyone's forms very from family to family slightly, so to say just because I have an uppercut here and you have a back chop there doesn't mean it's still not the form....

FEELERSTRIKE
01-31-2005, 03:58 PM
If you are looking for the videos by Paul Drummond then you will have to wait for the moment . There will be a full series of tapes/DVD coming out in the near future . The test batch of tapes went very quickley and so more will be available on the system of 7 Star Mantis Boxing as taught by Master Chi Zu Hun . These are in the pipeline and will start to come out around the time his book will be on release .
If you need any more info please contact me . :)

Hua Lin Laoshi
01-31-2005, 04:57 PM
Complete set of 12 John Funk tapes on Ebay right now. Don't have the link but do a search and you'll find them.

Wang Rui Xuan
01-31-2005, 05:48 PM
View at your own risk!

Both videos are performed by Hui Rui Liang from the Shen Yang Tai Ji Mei Hua Research Organization.

BENG BU QUAN (Qi Xing Tang Lang)
http://v.sports.cn/info/info.php?id=93

DUO GANG (Qi Xing Tang Lang)
http://v.sports.cn/info/info.php?id=92

Regards,
Wang Rui Xuan

Strangler
02-01-2005, 04:19 PM
I'd like to see clips of actualy sparring.

CCY mantis
02-01-2005, 05:34 PM
wasnt disagreeing about the validity of the forms! The forms in the funk vids are not incorrect!

Radplaiddude
02-04-2005, 06:15 AM
I was able to view a couple of J Funk Vids. Considering i know jack about & star. The looked very informative. Lots of angle views and he breaks it down barney style.

shirkers1
02-04-2005, 08:04 AM
CCY no harm intended or received on this end.

radplaiddude yeah that's the point I was making with the novice comment. He breaks them down tactic by tactic so you get a good insight as to what you are and can do with the individual tactics involved in the form. :)

phantom
02-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Well, Lee Kam Wing's mantis book is great, so I would tend to think that his videos should be too. I have not watched them myself, though.

Phuc Carem
05-27-2006, 04:49 PM
What do you mean by WHF Books?

phoenixdog
05-28-2006, 11:56 AM
The pong lai beng bu dvd available on ebay is excellent.