mickey
01-26-2005, 04:50 PM
Greetings,

I'll ask for free stuff later:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/unleashed.html

mickey

Starchaser107
01-26-2005, 05:17 PM
looks good, hope it doesnt have too many wires.

mickey
01-26-2005, 05:22 PM
With Jet Li movies, it always comes down to the choreographer. He works best with Yuen Woo Ping. Corey Yuen's choreography is not as good.

mickey

Kristoffer
01-27-2005, 09:54 AM
finally a jet li movie with an actual story. this could b good.

kyklos
01-29-2005, 12:07 AM
looks pretty entertaining perhaps it may even be a good english jet li flick? Fingers crossed:D

Li Kao
01-29-2005, 05:23 AM
The new link for the Apple site is:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/focus_features/unleashed.html

I'm not sure what to think after watching the trailer ... it is a different twist, to be sure, than his last couple of Hollywood movies. The whole collar thing seems a bit corny to me though, and the fact that there is the whole underground illegal fighting circuit ... seems to be a slight twist on an already beaten to death theme ...

mickey
01-29-2005, 12:59 PM
Li Kao,

I agree with you. But I also see it as a slap in the face of Hollywood for not allowing actors Jet Li and Jackie Chan do their own thing. Ever since they started making movies for American backers there has always been this issue of control, symbolized by that collar and the issues of control when it is removed or replaced. Whenever Jackie Chan does an American backed movie and his character's name is not Jackie, I KNOW to stay away from it: he is not calling the shots. I hope this movie unconsciously signals a spiritual/socio-economical return to Asian Cinema.

Then again, I could be so wrong.

mickey

GeneChing
02-02-2005, 11:56 AM
The original release date of Unleashed was April 8, but I have it on good authority that this will be postponed until late May. I haven't seen it yet, but I hear tell it is Jet's best acting performance so far. It's not his best action performance. Stay tuned... I may have something very interesting on this very soon... ;)

Shaolinlueb
02-02-2005, 01:10 PM
**** link at the top doesnt work anymore so here is the right one (http://www.apple.com/trailers/focus_features/unleashed.html) . i jsut watched it gene, dont hold out. this movie looks hot. H O T hot. not that you could spell it any other way.... oh wait, yes you could, NACHO NINJETTE!!!!

GeneChing
02-02-2005, 06:24 PM
UNLEASHED just got moved back from April 8 to June 24.

Stay tuned.... more to come hopefully...;)

Shaolinlueb
02-02-2005, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
UNLEASHED just got moved back from April 8 to June 24.

Stay tuned.... more to come hopefully...;)

*******, how come YOU DO THAT!. how come gene. i know its you not some hollywood person..............

jk ;) :o :p

GeneChing
02-04-2005, 05:33 PM
...it IS that Hollywood person. Or people. Until it's a secure deal, I'm not really at liberty to say, and you've not worked with Hollywood. That's got to be one of the craziest industries. Case and point, they just moved the released date for UNLEASED to May 13. :rolleyes:

Shaolinlueb
02-06-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by GeneChing
...it IS that Hollywood person. Or people. Until it's a secure deal, I'm not really at liberty to say, and you've not worked with Hollywood. That's got to be one of the craziest industries. Case and point, they just moved the released date for UNLEASED to May 13. :rolleyes:

woah gene. i was only pulling your leg there. :o

GeneChing
02-07-2005, 10:51 AM
I remember when we were working with Comics One and they had this whole promotion set up with Shaolin Soccer (http://store.martialartsmart.net/bcbss001.html), and we all know what happened to that release date. Yikes. Poor Comics One - they're a small company, just down the street from us. It was a great opportunity for them but Miramax crushed their hopes like an old cigarette butt. Anyway, Unleashed is being released by Rogue pictures, who brought us Shaun of the Dead among other things. They have some interesting ideas and have made some proposals, so we'll see. Whether it floats or sinks, I'll let you konw, but not until after the deal goes down.

SPJ
02-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Interesting movie and concepts.

Reminding me of Beauty and the Beast.

Shaolinlueb
02-08-2005, 11:16 AM
comics one puts out some good stuff too. the chinese comics are a lot different from the japanese ones.

norther practitioner
02-08-2005, 11:33 AM
OK, this seems to be the movie that was named danny the dog on Jet's website.

tug
02-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Could somebody possibly post a link that is WMV or MPEG? I have security issues that prevent me from downloading QuickTime.

YuanZhideDiZhen
02-24-2005, 03:46 AM
With Jet Li movies, it always comes down to the choreographer. He works best with Yuen Woo Ping. Corey Yuen's choreography is not as good.

in at least three films he did it was the writer who concieved the action and the coreographers had trouble duplicating it without wires.

YuanZhideDiZhen
02-24-2005, 03:50 AM
tug: your admin should be able to help you find a comparable player. mine reads qt without difficulty, of course i don't know its name either....

mickey
02-26-2005, 10:07 AM
YuanZhideDiZhen,

Corey Yuen also choreograpghed Black Mask. It was a great idea that could have been a classic with better choreography. So far, Yuen WooPing is number one.

mickey

GeneChing
03-25-2005, 10:30 AM
woah gene. i was only pulling your leg there. Sitting directly between Design Sifu and me are literally hundreds of UNLEASHED promotional posters and postcards. There are so many that I can only see DS's shifty eyebrows, when I can usually see down to his belt (not that I'm looking there). We are giving these away through Tiger Claw and MartialArtsMart. To get one through Tiger Claw, go to a Tiger Claw sponsored event (http://www.tigerclaw.com/index.php?SCREEN=news) and ask at the table (we just got these in today so it'll take hold more next weekend than this weekend.) To get one through MartialArtsMart.com, order something from MartialArtsMart.com that can also fit a poster and we'll send it to you.
It'll be only while supply lasts.

More to come...

GeneChing
04-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Here we go! See our fundraiser for UNLEASHED at http://www.tigerclawfoundation.org/

GeneChing
05-03-2005, 12:58 PM
See our promo thread on the TC media forum (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=605751#post605751).

See Shaolinlueb - told ya there was more to come....

MasterKiller
05-03-2005, 01:45 PM
I predict this movie will blow.

It's basically a rip-off of Conan the Barbarian, which is a masterpiece of modern cinema.

PangQuan
05-03-2005, 03:04 PM
im gonna go watch the sneak showing tonight. Ill post tomorrow maybe.

word of honor
05-03-2005, 03:30 PM
i saw unleashed a while back at the sf asian american film festival and i'm really looking forward to seeing it again. i have some issues with the script but whatever. wow those first few minutes took my breadth away, the cinematography, editing, acting, freak fighting. then the drama opens up and really works too. i tell you jet li really nailed the danny character, he totally disappeared inside it. it is a good ride that is for sure. YES imo best western one he's done yet

GeneChing
05-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Forum members can get in free - well, a few of you can anyway - check out our thread on the TC Media forum (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36599) :cool:

Shaolinlueb
05-04-2005, 08:38 PM
this one looks good i think.

romeo must die = teh blew
cradle to the grave = teh blew
the one = teh blew
kiss the dragon = teh rocked i think
this one will rock too. i hear its pretty violent and raw. which is what i love.

wait, didnt one of those guys play in the mario brothers movie?

GeneChing
05-05-2005, 10:12 AM
What makes this film very interesting is Morgan Freeman, coming in hot after his recent Academy award. I like Bob Hoskins too, mostly for Roger Rabbit and Brazil, but he was also oscar nominated. So it's quite a step up from rap stars, and that's grand progress for martial arts films. It might even be considered 'A' grade cinema, like Hero, Crouching Tiger, and House of Flying Daggers. But unlike those films, which were more arty and stylized in the fight scenes, Unleashed looks gritty. Coming in so close on the heels of Kung Fu Hustle, both films could really open up some doors for the kung fu movie genre and that's really exciting. I just hope that it doesn't all get eclipsed by Star Wars (but did I catch Obi Wan using a jianshou with his light saber?)

Starchaser107
05-08-2005, 10:20 PM
I read the article on this website
It's kind of insightful as to where jet li's head is at, and
I feel less disenchanted with the state of things.
I'm going to watch this movie, because of jet li, and
because of morgan freeman.I hope jet is successful in his evolution as a martial arts film star in the future as well.

GeneChing
05-12-2005, 09:43 AM
We just did our first Tiger Claw Foundation (http://www.TigerClawFoundation.org) screening of Unleashed last night. I think Unleashed is Jet's finest Western-made movie to date. Very Euro. Some fine fights. Loved the fight in the nekkid lady's toilet particularly. Hope that doesn't spoil it for anyone. ;)

norther practitioner
05-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Sounds cool, I'm looking forward to seeing it

GeneChing
05-12-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm just about to head over and see it again for our last sneak preview (http://www.tigerclawfoundation.org) - I've been in a Massive Attack groove all day since they did the the soundtrack. I love Massive Attack - No Protection is one of my favorite dub albums. RZA's contribution is the second song of the credits and almost unnoticible.

PangQuan
05-12-2005, 04:58 PM
I saw this a few days ago and though it was a pretty good film. Deffinately his best acting goes as far as breaking the type cast rolls.

The action was decent but it was no fist of legend.

I thought the funniest part of the whole movie is that he was gettin the mack on with an 18 year old chick. Dudes character is gonna be the happiest 60 year old around when he gets there.

Overall I give it a 8 based on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best Jet Li movies ever made and 1 being Steven Segal and VanDam movies.

PangQuan
05-12-2005, 04:59 PM
We just did our first Tiger Claw Foundation (http://www.TigerClawFoundation.org) screening of Unleashed last night. I think Unleashed is Jet's finest Western-made movie to date. Very Euro. Some fine fights. Loved the fight in the nekkid lady's toilet particularly. Hope that doesn't spoil it for anyone. ;)

that was most deffinately the best fight, and I do think this is his best Hollypic yet.

GeneChing
05-13-2005, 10:39 AM
We did our second preview last night for the Tiger Claw Foundation (http://www.tigerclawfoundation.org) benefit for Jet's ONE Foundation. I actually liked it better the second time. Fist of Legend was nearly a decade ago, when Jet was in his thirties. Now he's in his forties, so of course the action will change. Take a look at Jackie in his latest, New Police Story (http://www.martialartsmart.net/dvd10083.html), in his fifties. I think a lot of people were spoiled with Bruce Lee - since he died young, we never saw how his movies would have looked when he crossed the big four-oh or five-oh. You'll always be disappointed if you compare martial artists' work to their earlier stuff simply on face value because everyone's skills are destined to decline with age, and the most prominent decline is seen in showboating moves, like what you see in the movies. But I'd say both Jackie and Jet are getting more refined at what they do - they have to - and in some ways, I'm more impressed with their later work knowing that they are still turning out this kind of action past their physical prime. That being said, do you know what Jet Li's next project is? Tentatively, he's taking on the role of Hou Yunjia (Fook Yun Gar). Y'all know who that is, right? It's like the prequel to Fist of Legend... :cool:

Silent Assassin
05-13-2005, 11:28 AM
Just saw UNLEASHED at last night's screening. Overall, a very entertaining movie. The acting was solid, the fight scenes were good, alot of hardcore, hand-to-hand, bone crushing combats.

Definitely, Jet's best american made movie yet.

Mr Punch
05-14-2005, 07:02 PM
Definitely, Jet's best american made movie yet.The director, writer and producer are French. It's a joint production with Canal + and an English company. The cast contains 2 Americans and a host of Europeans. How is this an 'american made' movie exactly?

SPJ
05-15-2005, 06:42 PM
I just saw the movie.

I like the fighting set in the bathroom. Sort of reminding you of WC. Biting is also used.

The story line is ok. The music and a blind piano man awaken the human side of his mind. That was the only link to sanity and love away from all the animalistic life style. Or being obedient to his adopted ulcle and fight for him.

The uncle is a small time debt collector or money loaning shark. It is a dysfuntional "family". He "presumed" that Danny is only a killing machine and not capable of "human" affection, respect for life and love. In fact, Danny is who and not what he is. He is also a human and not a "it" but a "he".

The uncle wanted Danny back to their previous "dysfunctional" tie and made him rich with death pit fights. It is Sooooo NOOOOT goona happen. The human side once awakened is here to stay in any sane mind. The uncle was not able to pull the trigger. The blind musician shut him up with a pot of flower.

Danny is finally free of the uncle's voices or commands.

Danny is able to pick up all the human things after animalistic life for so long.

The collar was really a mental block than any physical thing. The music, affection and trust of a young girl and the new family replaced the collar and "unleashed".

Cool.

:)

word of honor
05-15-2005, 09:05 PM
do you know what Jet Li's next project is? Tentatively, he's taking on the role of Hou Yunjia (Fook Yun Gar). Y'all know who that is, right? It's like the prequel to Fist of Legend... :cool:Actually it's not tentative, it is in the middle of production right now :D

Jet Li begins production on Huo Yuanjia biopic

This week [in early april], martial arts star Jet Li began shooting his latest movie, a biopic of legendary martial arts master and Chinese patriot Huo Yuanjia (1869-1910) that is being directed by Ronny Yu (Freddy vs. Jason, The Bride with White Hair).

In a recent Q&A session on his official site, Jet Li explained his intent. "I hope to use this film and character to let people understand what is really important and dear to my heart. I also want to explain once and for all the meaning of wushu and kungfu."

Li joined a Hollywood production crew in Shanghai on Sunday to begin the shoot. Columbia Pictures has invested about US$19 million into the officially unnamed project.

Li is playing Huo Yuanjia (Fok Yuanjia), son of a martial arts champion who dreams of following in his father's footsteps. After becoming the most famous fighter in China, he disappears for years when personal tragedy strikes. Ultimately, he must come out of hiding to defend the honor of his country in an international tournament.

Chinese actress Sun Li is playing a blind woman who falls in love with Huo Yuanjia.

Martial arts movie master Yuen Wo-ping, whose recent action choreography can be seen in Kung Fu Hustle and House of Fury, joined the production as action director. Bill Kong (House of Flying Daggers, Hero) is producing.

http://www.kungfucinema.com/news/2005/040601.htm

SPJ
05-16-2005, 06:55 AM
Cool link;

Huo is a household name and legend in China. Mi Zhong Quan, Huo Jia Quan and Jin Wu Men in Shanghai.

This movie surely will be a big hit in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.

Cool.

GeneChing
05-16-2005, 09:30 AM
Well, the weekend went to Monster-in-Law at 24 million, which surprised me although that shouldn't have. I was putting my money on Kicking and Screaming, which also finished ahead at $21 mill, and Unleashed came in at 10.6 mill, which is higher than Kung Fu Hustle (7 mill, was it?) Worthy of note is that the box office has been in a 12 week slump, but the industry is expecting that to end with Star Wars.

Ronny Yu, eh? Oh man. :rolleyes: I loved Bride with White Hair (http://www.martialartsmart.net/dvd60025.html), and even have a soft spot for Warriors of Virtue, but Bride of Chucky? Freddy vs. Jason? We'll see. What's up with Jet movies and being blind? Morgan Freemen, the blind-folded fight in Fist of Legend, now Sun Li? :p It'll be an interesting adjunct to the Hou Yunjia myth since the actual story is not that interesting. He's significant as the founding inspiration of Chin Woo, an organization still strong 'til today, but the actual fight he was hired for never happened. I did an article on this a long time ago, back when I was writing for Hong Kong Film Magazine (Fists of Legend: The Story of the Ching Mo School Issue #4, 1995? HKFM didn't date their issues...) I'm sure ol' Ronny will give the tale extreme fant-asia elements.

norther practitioner
05-16-2005, 09:54 AM
I give it a B+...

pretty good acting, great choreography...

I liked the fact he didn't always finish with the flash...

SPJ
05-16-2005, 10:13 AM
On a personal note;

If I was asked to be involved in the movie;

I would add long hairs, long beards and dirty face on Jet Li. As if Jet Li in crasy three times a day or Zhang San Feng in Tai Chi master. After he changed, he would wear a pony tail and shaved beard.

The clothes or fashion he wear sucks before and after.

Oh well, it is the Hollywood.

I am just one of the million's fans worldwide.

By the way, people treat their dogs or pets a lot better and even in the circus. There are laws and rules against inhumane treatments of animals let alone people.

It is only a movie.

And I was only just saying---

I am guilty of seeing Monster in laws and LOL, too.

:D

SPJ
05-16-2005, 10:17 AM
I really like Kung Fu Hustle.

It is always refreshing to see it over and over.

I like the kingdom of heaven, too.

GeneChing
12-31-2012, 11:07 AM
RZA from Wu-Tang Sued By Singer I Want My Money ... Dolla Dolla Bills Y'all (http://www.tmz.com/2012/12/15/rza-wu-tang-clan-royalites-dutch-lawsuit/)
EXCLUSIVE
http://ll-media.tmz.com/2012/12/10/1210-rza-thea-van-seijen-tmz-3.jpg

Shame on a rapper ... who doesn't pay a hot Dutch singer for 14 tracks -- this according to the singer who's suing RZA from the Wu Tang Clan, claiming he stiffed her out of serious dough.

TMZ obtained a lawsuit, filed by Dutch singer Thea Van Seijaen ... who most famously provided the vocals on RZA's track "Baby Boy," which was featured in Jet Li's film "Unleashed."

In her lawsuit, TVS says she SHOULD'VE been paid bank for her work on that song (and 13 others she co-wrote and performed on from 2004 to 2011) ... but instead got a fraction of what she's due.

TVS claims ... for years she was afraid to stand up to RZA and demand her cash because she feared he would blackball her from the music industry. After all, he is a pretty powerful dude.

Now, TVS is asking the court to force RZA to fork over her share of the royalties for the 14 tracks ... which could mean big bucks.

Sources close to RZA tell TMZ ... "Unfortunately this is a groundless lawsuit by someone RZA had helped get off the streets, lent a helping hand to, and now thinks he’s an easy target to mark looking for money."

Thea van Seijen - Baby Boy (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8ebar_thea-van-seijen-baby-boy_music#from=embediframe) I don't remember this track from the film at all. I like the vid.

doug maverick
12-31-2012, 11:39 AM
she has been on alot of RZA tracks..including all over both afro samurai albums..she was noticeably absent from the man with the iron fist soundtrack.

GeneChing
05-01-2014, 08:52 AM
April 30, 2014 posted by Mistah Cole
Jet Li’s Co-Star in ‘Unleashed’, Bob Hoskins Dead at 71 (http://www.360nobs.com/2014/04/unleashed-star-bob-hoskins-dead-at-71/)

http://static.360nobs.site.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/bob-hoskins-unleashed.png

Bob Hoskins who is best known for movies like Hook, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Enemy At The Gates and Unleashed has passed away at the age of 71.

According to information gotten, the actor who quit acting in 2012 after being diagnosed with parkinson’s disease died of pneumonia yesterday at an hospital while surrounded by family members.

Bob’s immediate family has confirmed the passing of the actor saying “We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Bob,” the statement goes on to state that “Bob died peacefully at hospital last night surrounded by family, following a bout of pneumonia. We ask that you respect our privacy during this time and thank you for your messages of love and support.“ Most obits are citing Roger Rabbit, but I'll always remember him most fondly for Unleashed and Brazil.

Vash
05-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Who Framed Roger Rabbit was the first time I saw him act. Unleashed was the last.

Glad he had his family around.