PDA

View Full Version : Workout questions

Reggie1
01-27-2005, 09:35 AM
I had a few questions about my weekly schedule--figured I'd ask you guys.

First one: If I do my MA class the day after I do the full-body workout, does it hamper my strength gains? The class is usually 1.5 hours of fairly intense cardio, lots of low stances, etc.

Second one: This week my upper body was still sore from my full-body workout on the day I usually do my heavy bag routine. Should I have rested, or is it OK to go ahead and hit the heavy bag?

Last one: Here's my typical week

M--Very light day. Usually just 30-45 min. I do 15 min. of forms, 10-15 min. of speed bag, and 5-10 min. stretching.
T--My KF class. 1.5 hours of cardio and stance work. This primarily works my abs + lower body (core).
W--Bag work ~1 hr. Usually I break it up into 40 min. heavy bag and 20 min. speed bag.
TH--Same as Tuesday.
FR--Light day. 1 hour of chi sau + stretching.
SAT--30 min. cardio + 30 min. bagwork OR 1 hour of sparring
SUN--Full body workout.

My questions: where is a good day to throw in the other full body workout? Is giving myself 48-72 hours after my full body workout enough time or not enough time to help w/ muscle growth / strength development?

The focus of my full body workout is strength. Big weight, lots of sets, few reps.

Reggie1
01-27-2005, 10:55 AM
I forgot to add that one day every week I take as a rest day. I mix it up between weeks, but it's generally either the heavy bag day or one of the cardio days. Every once in a while I'll miss the full body workout day.

_William_
01-27-2005, 12:33 PM
If your weight training routine is on Sunday I would probably have the other workout on Wednesday.

My questions: where is a good day to throw in the other full body workout? Is giving myself 48-72 hours after my full body workout enough time or not enough time to help w/ muscle growth / strength development?

72 hours should be enough.

First one: If I do my MA class the day after I do the full-body workout, does it hamper my strength gains? The class is usually 1.5 hours of fairly intense cardio, lots of low stances, etc.

IMO it should not pose a problem to do MA the day after lifting weights. Realistically speaking you should not have to center your MA training around your weight training.

Second one: This week my upper body was still sore from my full-body workout on the day I usually do my heavy bag routine. Should I have rested, or is it OK to go ahead and hit the heavy bag?

Sure, its ok. Working out when sore is not going to kill you. Also as you progress you will probably get less and less sore as you get used to lifting weights. When I started I was sore for a week after squatting. Now I can squat 3x weekly no problem.

If you still have trouble with recovery try lowering the volume.

It would be helpful if you could post your strength training routine btw.

Of course, bear in mind that I am a bit of a newbie myself.

;)

Chief Fox
01-27-2005, 12:39 PM
First one: If I do my MA class the day after I do the full-body workout, does it hamper my strength gains?

I don't think so. The MA class is a different type of workout and if you make sure your body has enough fuel and is properly warmed up you should be fine. Just my opinion and I could be full of crap.

I think it's ok if you warm up properly but you gotta listen to your body. Hitting the bag involves strength and power as well as technique and cardio. So if you go overboard you could be setting yourself up for overtraining but I think you're ok.

Where is a good day to throw in the other full body workout?

How about on Wednesdays. If you can split up your workout this might be a good day.

Is giving myself 48-72 hours after my full body workout enough time or not enough time to help w/ muscle growth / strength development?

yes.

What is your full body workout? And how has this workout been working for you? How long have you been doing it?

Oh, it's good that you take a rest day once a week.

Reggie1
01-27-2005, 01:03 PM
I got the workouts from Ford. One week I do this:

Bench Press x8-x6-x4-x2-xFail (use the same weight as the first set)
Deadlift 2x5; 3x3
Shoulder Press x8-x6-x4-x2-xFail
Front Squat 3x5; 1x3, 1x2
Pull-ups 3xMax

Another week I will do this:

Squat x8 x6 x4 x2 xFail
Bench Press 3xFail (use 135 lbs, 185 lbs, or 225 lbs depending on your strength levels. You should be able to get one set of 10 at least)
Goodmorning 3x5; 2x3
Weighted Pull-ups x8 x6 x4 x2 xFail
Military Press 5x5

Chief Fox
01-27-2005, 03:11 PM
You should be fine. Try it out and take it slow. thanks for posting your workout. Some people go for these marathon weight lifting sessions, just wanted to make sure you weren't doing that.