PDA

View Full Version : whey? glutamine? what do i take?

MoreMisfortune
01-27-2005, 10:41 PM
so ok since yall been pounding and pounding in here about all the protein suplements you use finally now even i had to look at sites of suplements today and after seeing some proteins i ask thou

wich is better for me to buy when i go back to weights:
whey-based or glutamine-based suplements?? -> not to mention albumine and the several other ones im lazy to type their names and combinations
and in god heavenly mother sanctuary why?

i like the idea of using this stuff, so i dont need to eat meat that has a lot of fat (since i dont do oddkins, that is)

i think the glutamine one was cheaper, so thats a plus :D
right? :D

Mo Lung
01-28-2005, 06:17 AM
For protein, follow the whey. ;)

Ming Yue
01-28-2005, 12:21 PM
Toby will have a good answer for you, he knows much about supplements.

I think albumen (egg) protein may be a bit better than whey in terms of bioavailablity, but it's more expensive and harder to find.

Mo Lung
01-28-2005, 05:08 PM
Yeah, but you have to be a bit careful because albumen on it's own is an incomplete protein and you need some yolk with the white to complete the protein chain. Bioavailability of any supplement is an issue. Best is to eat more real food.

rubthebuddha
01-28-2005, 07:19 PM
MY -- you didn't study up last time i posted these. you owe me three laps. :mad:

http://www.netrition.com/protein_chart_in_page.html

http://www.healthandperformance.com/Principles/IntermediateP/IntNutrition_P1.htm

also keep in mind the type of protein and how quickly it'll absorb. having a whey shake right after a workout is fantastic, as whey is absorbed with a quickness, but the same shake won't last well through the night. something that releases slower like a casein may be a wee bit better as a night-time supplement when on your guns-be-huge program. this be all from this thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=33314&highlight=bioavailability).

Ming Yue
01-28-2005, 07:39 PM
when you're right, you're right.
:o

I did read that thread at the time. Dang crappy reading comprehension.

3 laps and I promise to laugh at all your jokes from here on out.

Mo Lung
01-28-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Ming Yue
and I promise to laugh at all your jokes from here on out. Oh, come on! No one should be asked to do that!

MoreMisfortune
01-28-2005, 08:44 PM
hey buddha, dudes and chick, thanx for the responses

i found interesting what the guy says on that site about whey and casein also being related to weight gain (insulinogenic, etc)
so how many yall take those and still lose fat weight with no much probs? or dont?

im proud cos i made two actually useful threads in a row yesterday :D

and what was Ego's nurse Katrina doing in that other thread lol

rubthebuddha
01-28-2005, 11:17 PM
mm -- also understand that between protein, carbohydrate and fat, protein requires the most effort by the body (gram-for-gram) to process. thus, your body will actually burn more fuel processing tuna than it will processing an equivalent amount of tato chips.

ml -- 21 posts and you're already getting on my list. that's it. three laps for you too, and then you're mopping the mats. :mad:

my -- understand that those three laps will help add magicalitude to the mf, and that will improve both your marketabilty as well as get the rest of the guys around here thanking me for said improvement in magicalitudity. it's win-win. however, i can't even get my fiancée to laugh at all my jokes, so asking a near-complete stranger over in caroliner to do so doesn't seem fair.

IronFist
01-29-2005, 02:40 AM
Um I heard glutamine's kind of a waste cuz it all gets absorbed by your large intestine and never enters the blood stream or whatever it's supposed to do.

Mo Lung
01-29-2005, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
ml -- 21 posts and you're already getting on my list. that's it. three laps for you too, and then you're mopping the mats. :mad: 3 laps, 20 pushups and mopping the mats? Are you kinda pining to be a drill sergeant?

Ming Yue
01-29-2005, 06:33 AM
MM,

I have a whey protein drink a day. I had a goal in December to drop a few pounds and I did that no problem while drinking the whey.

you know this, but , if you want to lose weight, simply burn more calories than you take in. shoot for a 500 calorie deficit a day.