PDA

View Full Version : Good old Five stance form

kyklos
01-28-2005, 12:58 AM
Hey guys and gals thought you might get a kick out of this.

I made this in my spare time, used myself in front of a mirror as reference. Tell me what you think.

Five Stance Form (http://iamthegreek.com/lowman.mov)

Becca
01-28-2005, 04:31 AM
Man, you got skinny legs!:eek: ;) :p Looks simila to a piece of a form I know. What was the visualization you used to creat it?

David Jamieson
01-28-2005, 09:45 AM
hahahaha! that's great!

make him go faster!

Brad
01-28-2005, 10:00 AM
kick @ss :cool:

GeneChing
01-28-2005, 10:17 AM
The Iron Giant goes Shaolin!!!

count
01-28-2005, 10:22 AM
Nice animation. That's the second time someone posted that line in two days.
From the kicking thread. (http://www.geocities.com/wushugungfu/wubuchuan)

Shaolinlueb
01-28-2005, 10:52 AM
niec job man. now add the last couple moves like in the shaolin version :o:D;):p:)

Ming Yue
01-28-2005, 10:56 AM
very nice!

let me know if you need a nice background for that.

:D

MasterKiller
01-28-2005, 12:03 PM
I don't do a heel kick in the third move. I kick with the top of my foot.

kyklos
01-28-2005, 12:15 PM
Thanx guys for input. Here's another view (http://iamthegreek.com/lowman2.mov) :)

Come to think of it masterkiller i also kick with the top of the foot, ha , don't know why i did a heel kick in the anim:confused:

SPJ
01-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Cool.

Meat Shake
01-28-2005, 08:25 PM
Sweet. Good work.

IronFist
01-29-2005, 02:43 AM
Am I correct in assuming that once you have the animation down it's very easy to create a new vid file from a different camera angle?

How long does something like that take to create? What are the steps involved?

Mo Lung
01-29-2005, 02:54 AM
That's great! But why not just video a person doing it?

Ming Yue
01-29-2005, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Mo Lung
That's great! But why not just video a person doing it?

because it's cool -- his 3D Fu is good.

Kristoffer
01-29-2005, 06:59 AM
word

kyklos
01-29-2005, 11:47 AM
Am I correct in assuming that once you have the animation down it's very easy to create a new vid file from a different camera angle?

Yup super easy, i can do whatever i want with the camera.

How long does something like that take to create? What are the steps involved?

Well this took me 2.5 days workin on and off and its just a draft. It has no lights or textures or anything else in the scene and the animation is still buggy. If I were to add those and tweek it would prolly take me a good week or so.

When it comes to animation one usually uses some sort of reference material to make the job a lot easier; a video, another animation, storyboard, or himself acting it out. I have a full length mirror so it helped a lot:) .

After you choose your reference( or if your skilled enuf and don't need one) you start keyframing the animation. Which simply means placing the objects (or drawing in 2D) in the major poses. Each hand, foot, arm, shoulder, leg, knee, neck, hip, torso, finger, eye, everything must be placed manually. So as you can imagine there's a lot of going back and forth between the computer and my mirror.

Count's (http://www.geocities.com/wushugungfu/wubuchuan)
url is a perfect example of keyframes. These are the major poses. Once that is complete the computer puts all the in-between action. Then comes the tedious process of tweeking the in-betweens, making sure no arms or legs overlap, making shure the movement is real looking, putting some weight in each move. This could last anywhere from 50% to 70% of the actual work time again depending on how skilled you are.

Well there you have it an incredibly short summary of the painstaking process of animation:) :p

I've been workin on one with two guys sparring lately but its goin a lot slower than I anticipated, i'll post that when its done too.

Oh ya and I use Alias Maya.

Peace

IronFist
01-29-2005, 12:14 PM
^ Thanks for the explanation.

Friendless Tool
01-29-2005, 12:29 PM
wow!, that was the first form my sifu taught me!, he calls it "5 foot step" my sifus version of the form is a lot longer but the techniques are obviously the same. i diddnt know anyone else knew that form.

Royal Dragon
01-30-2005, 01:26 AM
That was my first Shaolin form too!!

We called it "Wu Bu Chuan", or "Five Stances Fist"

Mine is a tad bit longer than that though, but not much. If there are longer versions, I'd love to see them.

Pork Chop
01-30-2005, 03:54 PM
i learned a version with a slightly different opening and had another row (of the same stuff) and a turn beyond that.

oasis
01-30-2005, 04:12 PM
yeah, a common opening is to block in a horizontal line with the left hand instead of a vertical arc as in the clip. the other 'road' is by simply stepping through with the right foot to punch with the left in a right gong bu, and then continuing the form on the opposite side. that way you have the full form performed on both sides.

i wonder kyklos, if you just add the above transition, can your program easily convert the figure to do everything on the opposite side of the body? :cool:

HopGar
01-31-2005, 06:57 AM
awesome. nice job

peace

Jhapa
01-31-2005, 07:31 AM
very nice, which animation software did you use.

Brad
01-31-2005, 08:14 AM
i diddnt know anyone else knew that form.
Yup, it's a popular modern chang quan form. Eventually, lots of traditional schools adopted it too, and people started coming up with their own variations. I've got two versions of the form myself. One "by the book"-basically just like the video, but with the block as the first move-, and another more complex with aditional moves.

Royal Dragon
01-31-2005, 08:27 AM
He he he. I have 3 versions. One is my own. I changed the opening by replacing it with something very similar out of my Tai tzu form "Xiao Tai tzu Hong Chuan", and changed the ending to be the same ending as the Song Shan Tai Tzu Chang Chuan.

The first version is like the video minus the first snake stance, the second is slightly longer with the snake stance at the opening, and another "one legged" stance in the transition between the horse, and the resting stance.

I also alter the end so it contnues on the same line, or reverses, and backtracks so it ends where it started depending on if I'm working outside and have alot of room, or if I'm in my living room with limited space.

I figured that since it is a modern set, and it's main purpose is to work the stances, I could feel no guilt in adjusting it to fit my system and use it to help build base fundementals. That way it's tuned to be a progressive part of what I do.

mortal
01-31-2005, 10:36 AM
Cool!

Now lets see mantis!

Royal Dragon
01-31-2005, 10:51 AM
Also, I seem to tremeber a thread about this set (maybe even started by me) where we determined it was originally a small section of a Cha Fist set. Anyone remember this?

MasterKiller
02-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Royal Dragon
Also, I seem to tremeber a thread about this set (maybe even started by me) where we determined it was originally a small section of a Cha Fist set. Anyone remember this? Ask...and ye shall receive.

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31789