PDA

View Full Version : More movies + sound

marcus_pasram
10-12-2001, 09:56 PM
Hi everyone,

Couple of items.
1) We're in the process of moving our site. It has moved here (http://216.65.49.15). DNS will rollout in a few days.

2) New content includes more pictures, movies, and even one with sound. Kwan sau aganst high roundhouse kick.

Enjoy,
Marcus

In America you can go on the air and kid the politicians, and the politicians can go on the air and kid the people.

marcus_pasram
10-12-2001, 10:04 PM
Hi again,

I'd love to hear some feedback.

Do you practice these or similar drills in your classes? What are you thoughts?

Looking forward to some serious discussions ;)

/Marcus

In America you can go on the air and kid the politicians, and the politicians can go on the air and kid the people.

kj
10-12-2001, 11:11 PM
As always, thanks for the update notice for your website. I think you guys have the most comprehensive multi-media stuff going. You're generous to do all the work in putting it out there, and for continuing to invite discussion.

As you know from some of our prior exchanges, the way that I practice is very different from how you guys approach the art - by about 180 degrees. Some of the differences are so fundamental, even down to the basic system of movement, that compare and contrast on a "technique" level would be superfluous at best. So for my part, it's not a lack of wanting to discuss, and I'm definitely not ignoring you. It's more that there is no clear basis for comparison that would promise ROI for either of us. I'll let you know if think of something though. :)

Despite my "not knowing where to start," thanks nonetheless for all your efforts in sharing. I'm sure there are many out there with an approach closer to yours who may chime. So keep reminding them. ;)

Regards,
- kj

Abstract
10-16-2001, 08:33 PM
i checked out the techniques section, looks good! Actually, at the WFH tourney in NJ i met up w/Mun Hung & we had a hands on exchange of techniques. Actually, it was more like, I punched, and he hurt me..HAHA!! seriously though, i'll be coming down sometime soon hopefully to sit in on a class or two once i can get back to Mun Hung(and once my wife lets me out the house!!! :p )

The Ab ;)

-------------------------
In mildness is the strength of steel

S.Teebas
10-16-2001, 09:42 PM
http://www.wingchunnyc.com/techniques/pictures/batjamdo/0417.jpg

Do you really think this guy is ready for the knives? ...he should be taught SLT first!

marcus_pasram
10-17-2001, 01:50 AM
That wasn't so nasty...

Who am I to second guess my SiFu? ;)You inferred quite a lot from one picture. What is it you see (or don't see) that leads you to your conclusion?

I'm sure others on the forum would appreciate the open discussion also. :D

Take care,
Marcus
Wing Chun Kung Fu NYC (http://www.wingchunnyc.com)

marcus_pasram
10-17-2001, 01:57 AM
Hey Abstract,

I'm glad you enjoyed our site and hope you found it informative.

Mun Hung said you're really cool dude. From what I heard, you guys had a great time. I'm sure you were able to show him a few things also ;)

Its too bad that events like these are few and far in between.

Take care,
Marcus

Wing Chun Kung Fu NYC (http://www.wingchunnyc.com)

S.Teebas
10-17-2001, 06:55 PM
structure

mun hung
10-17-2001, 07:48 PM
His structure? Please elaborate.

wingchun.com
10-17-2001, 10:55 PM
I notice that your group uses different kinds of shin/foot guards when sparring. Which ones have you found to be effective?

As to the videos and photos, there are some, where the person counter attacking is leaning very far backwards (almost Jackie Chan like) while countering with their own kick.

The idea seems to be to lean backwards out of the way, yet in some respects that appears counter to general WC principles of structure and would leave you open to being pushed back to the ground.

I mention this not to attack what you are doing, but to inquire into your teacher and Duncan Leung's ideas on why to approach things from that perspective.

wingchun.com
10-17-2001, 11:00 PM
I mean like this photo:

http://216.65.49.15/techniques/pictures/kickinit/jonesjillani001.jpg

kj
10-17-2001, 11:30 PM
I am wondering if that is the kind of leaning Roy D. Anthony was advocating in the bong sau thread.

kungfu cowboy
10-18-2001, 12:21 AM
Can there really be so many forms of wing chun? At what point does it become not-wing-chun?

dlew308
10-18-2001, 12:24 AM
Is this going to respark the 60/40 vs 50/50 thing again?

whippinghand
10-18-2001, 12:52 AM
-stance is too wide
-back heel is not planted (if my eyes do not fail me)
-back foot not rooted
-front foot not rooted
-front foot alignment is not relating to back foot
-neither knee is not over toes
-no sinking exists because of all of the above
-shoulers are forward
-arms are too straight, and therefore not mobile
-alignment of wrists is off
-spine is curved forward as a result of below
-head is forward
-face is not relaxed
-no intention exists
-no conviction
-no spiral energy
-no intertwining of yin/yang energy

dlew308
10-18-2001, 12:54 AM
btw I do enjoy the pictures and videos. You've done a nice job with the website :)

mun hung
10-18-2001, 12:08 PM
Planet Wing Chun - currently, we use heavy duty type shin guards made in Germany by a company named Kwon. We also use all kinds of different ones underneath such as styrofoam, fiberglass Soccer shin guards, or cloth padding for added protection. It's neccesary since we play pretty rough.
As far as leaning back is concerned - it's really not my place to say. But what I will state is that it would be most difficult trying to describe something that should only be seen and felt by both parties to be truly appreciated. ;) Pictures just don't do justice for some things.

Kathy Jo - I'm pretty sure that what Roy D. Anthony was talking about with bong sau is entirely different. Do you ever travel to NYC? Please visit us if you do.

cowboy - what is "real" Wing Chun anyway? Can it be only what we think it is or know it to be? Is there an ancient hardbound rulebook somewhere?

Whip - could you please post a picture of it done properly so that we may all learn from it.

kj
10-18-2001, 01:11 PM
Sorry to post my reply here, but your email bounced. I rarely ever get to NYC, but will let you or Marcus know if I ever do and there's a chance to connect. Thanks for the welcome.

Regards,
- kj

S.Teebas
10-18-2001, 03:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ...As far as leaning back is concerned - it's really not my place to say... [/quote]

Is this because you dont know? This is not a personal attack, but THE most important thing in WC is to understand WHY you do the things you do.

Maybe you teacher teaches structure idea after a few years of training...i dont know! Pretty much what whipping hand said indicates that this guy in the picture donesnt understand a few things.

Also, in my mind with WC...it either works or it doesn't.

whippinghand
10-18-2001, 06:22 PM
Sorry, if you took offense. However, the link was posted, the picture was posted, and the question was asked...

melfid
10-18-2001, 06:29 PM
Hi guys,

I know there is a difference between form and application. I wonder if there is some mis-interpretation of this picture?

I never studied any weapons, Wing Chun or otherwise. BUT I have some experience in motion capture. Here are my observations - just my opinion though they contrast Whip's insightful post.

1. This particular image is a frame in an action sequence. Take a look at the picture immediately preceding (http://www.wingchunnyc.com/techniques/pictures/batjamdo/0416.jpg) it in the gallery. It looks as a sequence of two images to me.

2. This person seems to be defending himself against a man in black who is swinging something that looks like a sword

3. This person has generated tremendous torque that will manifest is self where his knives are. I'm sure there are more eloquent students of physics that can explain better than an amateur like me.

4. From viewing the two pictures in sequence, I see that he is pushing from both feet, or at least both feet come into play with his balance and rotation

5. He manages to move his body away from the attacking area of the sword.

I wish there was a follow up of the attack that must be comming. Is it an attack to the man in black's sword gripping hand? Or is it an attack to the man's head/body?

Like I said, I don't know anything about weapons and I honestly don't know how to determine intention from looking at one frame in a sequence. I've only stated my opinion based on what I've seen (in the pictures) and what I know from studies at university.

As far as the teacher of this group postponing structure theory, I've had first hand experience with one of his students who is shorter, smaller and not as strong as me. I will say he overcame me because of his structure. I also think he set me up - but strategy is stragety and I fell for it. :confused:

Take care and play nice :p

Dan

Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.

Douglas Adams, Arthur Dent in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

melfid
10-18-2001, 06:36 PM
Goto this location (http://www.wingchunnyc.com/techniques/pictures/batjamdo/0416.htm) and click the next arrow to see the pictures in sequence.

Dan

Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.

Douglas Adams, Arthur Dent in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

mun hung
10-18-2001, 08:40 PM
Kathy Jo - it bounced cause I was downloading AOL 7.0 at the time. (nice new colors!) As far as a visit is concerned - you will always be welcome to do so. :)

S. Teebas - "is this because you don't know?"
Definitely not the reason. Maybe the question should really be whether or not I care to try to explain it to you. Maybe later.

"Also, in my mind with WC...it either works or it does'nt". That's a bold statement. Are you so certain? How would you know?

My SiFu once told me that I could learn something from anyone. I have just learned something from you. ;)

Whip - no offense taken, Bro. I've got skin as thick as yours. Personally, I feel that action photos are hard to judge. Besides that - you have your way, and we have ours. ;)

And of course, my invitation to visit in NYC will always be extended to you.

DanM - good observation. My hat is off to anyone as open-minded as yourself. Much respect! :)

whippinghand
10-18-2001, 08:51 PM
The position is clearly an end of a movement. How you finish the movement is as important as the movement itself.

marcus_pasram
10-19-2001, 04:39 AM
Hi everyone,

Step away for a day and look what happens!

DanM - Thanks for your detailed observations/analyis. I'm sure others found it helpful also. It's interesting that you thought about follow-up movements. I wonder what they are also! I've not reached that level. ;)

WhipH - You're correct and your point is well taken. How you finish a movement is as important as the movement itself. Also, as Mun Hung pointed out - you have your way, and we have ours. Who can say which one is correct.

Planet Wing chun - There are a few more images and movies on our site where that 'lean' is used. Do you consider the defender 'leaning back' is in danger of being pushed over by his attacker? Just curious :D

/Marcus (http://www.wingchunnyc.com)

whippinghand
10-19-2001, 07:48 AM
"Who can say which one is correct"

Those who know, recognize, and understand structure.

And those who don't will say "you have your way, and we have ours".

kungfu cowboy
10-19-2001, 08:23 AM
mun hung: I agree.

mun hung
10-19-2001, 08:52 PM
"and those who don't will say you have your way, and we have ours"

I think I was the one who said that.

Honestly, I don't think you know enough about what we do to make a statement like that.

Please help by posting a photo of your idea on what good structure should be.

wingchun.com
10-20-2001, 03:23 AM
Hi Marcus,

Yes I have seen some of the other pictures and movies including the clip where the defender leans back and counter kicks.

I would not want to train to use that movement reflexively, instead I would rather do one of the following:

1) Step in deeply while sending the kick to the outside.

2. Step to the side, cover the kick and charge in.

3. Step backwards

4. Enter in rapidly as soon as the leg STARTS to raise to remove the range and deal with nothing more than knee attacks.

The approach taken in the videos and photos seems just too dangerous to me, given a world of grapplers. :eek:

Is it taught as an emergency movement?

If not, it would appear to violate Wing Chun principles in terms of body structure. We don't want to lean forward, nor do we want to lean backwards, and the leaning I'm observing in those photos seems to be extreme.

It just looks perilous to me in terms of balance, recovery and ability to generate power through structure.

So, here is my question back to you...given the amount of drills you guys are doing (which I think is a good idea), have you investigated being more conservative in structure when dealing with incoming kicks such that the spine on YOU (the guy being kicked) is still held straight and you attack the kicker's other leg while still being upright with your own low level kick?

That is to say, have the guy being the attacker, still offer you the same kick at the same range and height and deal with redirecting the kick in a fashion other than leaning backwards?

Presume your back was against the wall, and the same kick came in, what then?

whippinghand
10-20-2001, 10:06 AM
I don't take pictures of my training. However, if someday I happen to, then I'll e-mail you one.

S.Teebas
10-20-2001, 11:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> "Also, in my mind with WC...it either works or it does'nt". That's a bold statement. Are you so certain? How would you know?
[/quote]

What are you aiming for in WC?

marcus_pasram
10-21-2001, 05:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"Who can say which one is correct"
Those who know, recognize, and understand structure.
And those who don't will say "you have your way, and we have ours".
[/quote]

You have every right in the world to have your own beliefs and we have a right to ours. There are many reasons we have confidence in our understanding and approach. If someone can truly show us a better way, then I want to learn it too.

I feel that that Dan is this thread's only open minded participant. Dan who claims no weapons experience saw something that you missed. Please don't feel that I am attacking you. As I said, you have the right to your beliefs. But, have you tried to understand what is being shown?

If you only know what you have been shown, how can you be so certain that your idea is correct? As a martial artist, do you consider this is the best manner to evolve and learn?

Getting back to the picture. Do you know what the two persons in that photograph are doing? Please tell me. What is that technique called? What different ways can this technique be applied? Which of those applications is Chun (the knife applicant) using?

To reply to some of your analysis. Your eyes definitely failed, Chun's back heel is planted. If it wasn't planted he would be knocked over.

Chun's shoulders are extended and his arms are locked straight. His wrists are correctly aligned according to our understanding.

Try this experiment
Hold the knives the way you know and ask a partner to swing a long heavy stick at you with some force. Then hold the knives as Chun does in the picture and ask your partner to swing at you again.

Find out for yourself which way can withstand more pressure from the swinging pole. Don't take my word for it.

No intention - Chun's intention is coverage. Do you know what that is?

No spiral energy - Dan can understand the torque being generated as Chun's entire spinal column turns with his horse and his left leg pulls and turns to gain maximum momentum for the swing from right to left.

Can you really see what is really being shown in the picture? I don't think so.

/Marcus

marcus_pasram
10-21-2001, 07:38 AM
PWC=Dave?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I would not want to train to use that [leaning back] movement reflexively, instead I would rather do one of the following:
1) Step in deeply while sending the kick to the outside.
2. Step to the side, cover the kick and charge in.
3. Step backwards
4. Enter in rapidly as soon as the leg STARTS to raise to remove the range and deal with nothing more than knee attacks.
[/quote]

I want to highly emphasize that all the pictures and movies we're discussing are from our daily practice. Also, as you pointed out there are other ways to deal with a sidekick.

Wing Chun has many techniques and we have to learn and practice all of them. We have to learn the feeling of how to adopt a particular technique for a given situation.

In your suggested alternatives you assume that you are quicker than your opponent. Have you ever sparred with a really fast kicker? A kicker so fast and so cunning that you won't know when he initiates a kick?

These alternatives you suggest will leave you at a disadvantage against that kind of kicker. You mentioned your concern about grapplers with this technique and there's nothing wrong with that. But you should also worry about the fast, powerful and cunning kicker.

You will need to use a stratagem that takes your adversary's kicking speed into consideration. Someone in this topic mentioned that they can see that we don't understand what is yin/yang in our application. Here is a yin/yang stratagem. If your opponent attacks high, attack him low.

Getting back to the pictures... Examine the pictures where Jones is leaning back. There is also an animation on our site (http://www.wingchunnyc.com/techniques/java_animations/lb_g.htm) where a fast sidekick is countered by this very technique.

You will see that the person kicking is committing their full power. In the animation you can see that Jones stamps his grounding foot using the shock from the ground to raise his knee while he pushes his hip forward. This is a major reason that he is able to keep his balance. Also, note of the position of his head, as this is another reason that contributes to his balance.

At the moment that he shocks the ground, and his knee comes up, his inside hand covers the area from the 1st pak sau position to the extended lan sau position. His outside hand covers the area from his head all the way down to his groin.

It is important to note the coordination of Jones' movement. His kick and hand movements end at the same time.

Lets review what's occurred so far. Jilanni, a fast kicker, comes in deep to execute a side kick to Jones' upper body. Jones feels that he doesn't have enough time to step away or jam in. His only chance is to lean away the top half of his body from the kick and attack Jilanni from the bottom.

As this is only practice, Jones is holding his kick and does not kick his training partner. Also, because this is practice, Jones leans back more. Its a kind of training.

Consider what would happen if Jones kicks his attacker. Jones could kick Jilanni in the jewels or on his supporting knee/leg. Do you think at that moment that someone who has committed to a sidekick and just got kicked in the nuts OR supporting knee will try to grapple with you?

One other thing... Have you ever watched Mohammad Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, Oscar deLa Hoya or Felix Trinidad box? When a fast jab comes and they don't have the time to initiate their duck and weave, they will lean back and away from the jab. Its a quick, short movement. If you get a chance to view the footages definitely check it out. If you do, take note of their head position of their head when they "lean back". They know how to maintain their balance also ;)

They're a lot of great Martial Arts styles that have techniques for those circumstances when "there is no time"

Once again, I'm not criticizing your alternatives. We practice other techniques that utilizes them against a different kind of sidekick. Isn't it better to practice for all the possibilities? When the situation comes to you and you have to react, you will use your feeling to apply the correct technique. After all, as my SiFu tells us, "No technique is the best technique"

PWC - I hope you get a little better understanding of this technique from our daily practice. ;)

I wonder if you could explain something for me so I can understand your idea better. Could you explain in a bit more detail what you ment by your alternatives?

In your first alternative, what did you mean by sending the kick to the outside?

In your second suggestion, what do you mean by cover the kick?

Thanks,
Marcus (http://www.wingchunnyc.com)

mun hung
10-21-2001, 08:01 AM
Whipping Hand - you're a pretty smart guy. Let's stop beating around the bush. Do you know the name of the technique or don't you? How many applications are there for this technique? Which one is being used? If you can tell so much from a couple of pictures I have no doubt in my mind that you will be able to answer this correctly. Let's see... ;)

Otherwise, those who dont know will say "those who don't know will say you have your way and we have ours."

S.Teebas
10-21-2001, 08:52 AM
I was hesistant at first to respond to this thread because i desagree greatly with what you do, or at least what i have seen of it, and your throries behind it. But you guys asked for the commentry, so there you have it.

mun hung
10-21-2001, 09:34 AM
As far as I am concerned, we are all brothers/sisters on this board - regardless of lineage. So how can you really offend me?

The only problem that I have encountered is that you never said how or why you disagreed. You just made sly and cryptic remarks without offering any kind of substance to your argument. Anyone can do that. I still respect you for posting. I just wish you had something to say.

Perhaps you're a master of the Do. Who knows? Maybe you have a lesson to give? Are'nt we all here to share and compare information after all? I'm here to learn.

A good start would be to explain the Bot Jom Do techniques you have learned and how it differs from the one we offered. That would put us on the correct path to an understanding.

mun hung :) :) :)

whippinghand
10-22-2001, 12:47 AM
"A good start would be to explain the Bot Jom Do techniques you have learned and how it differs from the one we offered."

A good start would be to have a good grasp of the fundamentals before any discussion of techniques occurs.

burnsypoo
10-22-2001, 01:10 AM
"Try this experiment
Hold the knives the way you know and ask a partner to swing a long heavy stick at you with some force. Then hold the knives as Chun does in the picture and ask your partner to swing at you again."

Isn't one of the main points of the knives to really make your mobility incredible? I wouldn't think standing somewhere, and bracing yourself for a full-on impact with a swinging weapon, is what the knives are training you to do. So while that experiment might favour someone's form over another, maybe it's missing the point. Just thinkin.

-BP-

whippinghand
10-22-2001, 02:23 AM
Taking the impact of the staff with so much disconnection, is not that different from getting wacked directly...

S.Teebas
10-22-2001, 06:12 AM
Agreed, wing chun teaches how to avoid the force. Not to see how much you can confront directly.

Super-Fist
10-22-2001, 09:12 AM
True. But, doesn't it also teach you how to "redirect" the force as well?

S.Teebas
10-22-2001, 11:11 AM
yeah, but in the experiment he described he did not mention redirection of force. He said to get someone to swing a stick at you standing like the guy in the pic.

chu yun
10-22-2001, 11:52 AM
I think there are two pictures. He starts in one position and ends up in the other. I'm going to give this exercise a shot tomorrow. I'll tell you guys about it.

whippinghand
10-22-2001, 03:59 PM
Being able to absorb the impact is important, but NOT to confront it.

With disconnection in the body, little absorption occurs.

Too much avoidance is not a good thing.

mun hung
10-22-2001, 07:04 PM
Do any of you know what the technique is called?

And if you do...how many different applications are there for this technique.

What is coverage?

Short cryptic answers are acceptable. ;)

whippinghand
10-22-2001, 07:26 PM
Fundamentals

dzu
10-22-2001, 08:32 PM
It's called Yat Jee Dao in my line.

One way to use it is for covering a large portion of your body when closing against the pole or other weapon. The Baat Jaam Dao/Yee Jee Cern Dao have hand guards so your fingers aren't easily smashed or cut. IMHO, it doesn't work as well without these hand guards. You can shift with it or step with it, but if your structure isn't good, you won't be able to deflect or jam the weapon.

Dzu

tnwingtsun
10-22-2001, 09:07 PM
I know where you're coming from.

As I see it the structure lacks foundation IMHO.

Super-Fist
10-23-2001, 06:27 AM
tnwingtsun,
What is it exactly that you see in the structure that lacks foundation?

S.Teebas
10-23-2001, 06:50 AM
Moves and techniques can be learnt easily.

Structure has an infinate potential for improvement.

In an art such as tae-kwan-do the master is the one who can pull of very complicated moves such as 5 spining kicks, then another 3 kicks to various levels etc... That is what defines a master, he is able to do TECHNIQUES that the juniors cannot. In wing chun it is different. We all can practice the same simple moves, but the master is the one who can do it with mind blowing power. The same movement (in apperance) but the substance is of their movements is to a much greater degree.

What is this substance that we can aim for?...many things i think. Structure is one of them that can be refined to an infinate degree.
If you teacher does teach you structure, you may feel as though you've got it down pat...but then your teacher can disrupt you structure with ease.

It is this facet, the fact that WC is a bootomless pit of infomation that appeals to me as an art.

S.Teebas

P.S No offence to any Tae-kwan-do guys, im sure you are very dangerous! :)

Sharky
10-23-2001, 06:55 AM
and the master knows *when* to what. there are only a few moves in wing chun, really, and we can all do them, but its all in when you do it

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

whippinghand
10-23-2001, 03:26 PM
"...Structure is one of them that can be refined to an infinate degree."

Structure is everything. Without it, there is no technique.

Bessho
10-23-2001, 09:02 PM
http://66.70.142.52/vingtsun/techniques/tech3.jpg

Anybody else care to comment?

joy chaudhuri
10-23-2001, 09:27 PM
Pictures can mislead. It is a still of a motion.
But as far as a good look at a still can tell:
Real structural problems in the pic. Both lack rooting and alignment.
Even though all kinds of adjustments occur in a real match- an experienced eye can still distinguish between good and bad structure.
The guy on the right can be sent flying and the guy on the left can fall frontward into the ground-
depending on who controls the nest step. I dont know the people involved and in no way is it intended as a personal comment-Am I in trouble? :confused:

S.Teebas
10-24-2001, 06:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Structure is everything. Without it, there is no technique. [/quote]

Dont underestimate the importance of focusing. (But im sure you know this Whip!) ;)

S.Teebas

whippinghand
10-24-2001, 06:34 AM
Left side guy:
-poor alignment of feet in relation to "opponent"
-poor alignment of knees
-no sinking exists
-shoulders are misaligned
-not enough intention of hip
-no spiral energy
-improper use of the kwan sau

Ride side guy:
-just happy to be on website.

Unfortunately, the picture is too dark, so I can't see anymore details.

[This message was edited by Whipping Hand on 10-24-01 at 09:55 PM.]

whippinghand
10-24-2001, 06:35 AM
That's part of structure.

mun hung
10-24-2001, 06:01 PM
With all the Confucian Yoda's pondering, babbling, preaching and criticizing applications that they clearly know nothing about, I'm glad ONE person answered my very simple question.

Thank you, dzu!
Could you possibly name some application that the Gu Lao lineage uses for this particular technique?

S.Teebas, Whipping Hand, tnwingtsun, and anyone else - what other name does this technique have? (Yip Man lineage) Knowing that, could you please tell me how many applications there are for the technique?

IMHO - not answering a simple question just shows your lack of true knowledge regarding the subject at hand.

If you don't know - go ask your SiFu, or maybe buy a book. Just don't pretend.

Ken - good to see you on the board. When are you coming around for a visit again? This time bring your own Jow! ;) e-mail me.

chu yun
10-24-2001, 06:42 PM
Pretty slick, making poor Whippinghand correct a photo of his sihings. HaHa! Now that's structure for you.

Whippinghand...how's your Wu-Shu coming along?

[This message was edited by Sihing73 on 10-25-01 at 01:12 PM.]

dzu
10-24-2001, 08:18 PM
The Gu Lao system as I learned it doesn't have a standard knife set per se. The knives are taught along with the hands for each of the points/concepts and can be linked together depending upon what you want to train. I don't recall seeing Yat Jee Dao specifically, but IMO (not an expert) it isn't too far removed conceptually from Gaun Dao and/or Huen Dao. The term Yat Jee Dao comes from my Yip Man lineage. From what I have seen, concept is universal regardless of the lineage.

Dzu

whippinghand
10-24-2001, 10:13 PM
Sorry to disappoint, but that is no sihing of mine.

Bessho, that was a pretty good tactic, in its attempt to lure the Great Whippinghand into hypocrisy.

Sorry to say... but I'm more bullet proof than that.

whippinghand
10-24-2001, 10:28 PM
(The color on the computers at my college are much better).

Left side guy:
-right foot not rooted
-right foot toes are up
-left foot not rooted
-poor alignment of feet in relation to "opponent"
-neither knee is not over toes
-knees not bent
-no sinking exists because of above
-little intention of hip
-weight distribution is uncertain and inappropriate
-shoulders are misaligned
-right elbow too high
-improper use of the kwan sau
-no spiral energy

Right side guy:
Just standing there.

Anyone else?

whippinghand
10-24-2001, 10:35 PM
Again, without fundamentals, there is no point.

It is this type of disregard for fundamentals that has caused WC to become a video game street fight, as well as a political venue.

Perhaps, less "dabbling" in WC, less focus on the website (which is what got us in this discussion), and more focus on training is in order.

Go back to your forms, fix your stance, and then we'll talk.

chu yun
10-25-2001, 01:17 AM
I thought that was you on the right side. :D

Are you denying that you are Sunny Tang's student?
You're such a loser! :rolleyes:

whippinghand
10-25-2001, 02:08 AM
What, in WC's name, made you think that?

By the way, to answer your question....

Unfortunately, my wushu training is not coming along as well as the wushu on this site.

www.wingchunnyc.com (http://www.wingchunnyc.com)

S.Teebas
10-25-2001, 06:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Unfortunately, my wushu training is not coming along as well as the wushu on this site. [/quote]

lol!.....

Mun Hung,
Im arfaid that if you dont know the stance nothing will work for you properly. But hey, if you enjoy what you do then thats ok too.

Would you rather discuss the name of a technique that will not improve what you are doing, then talk about somthing that might? Names of these advanced techniques are secondary if you can't grasp basics IMHO! :)

S.Teebas

sunkuen
10-25-2001, 08:07 AM
Is this the school Chan Wa Shun was teaching at?
:eek:

"Larry Saccoia and SiFu Lee practicing at Jo Miu (Ancestral temple) in Fatshan. This
is the first Wing Chun School of Grandmaster Yip Man."
http://www.wingchunnyc.com/html/gallery/images/jo_miu_temple.jpg :eek:

mun hung
10-25-2001, 09:48 AM
...it was nice trying to have a discussion with you guys. I just regret not having the opportunity to explain more of what we do, just so you could have had a better idea. Oh well!

S.Teebas
10-25-2001, 10:01 AM
Hi Mun hung,

What is the address of your school I looked on your web site but cant seem to find it? (im not looking for a challange or anything just curious)

Thanks mate,

S.Teebas