PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu in Honolulu

Jhapa
01-28-2005, 01:36 PM
i will be moving to honolulu, Hawaii in 3 or 4 years but i am starting my search now for schools. any suggestions.

brothernumber9
01-28-2005, 02:18 PM
I beleive Sifu Seng Au has a school on Oahu, teaches Hung Ga, Choy Lay Fut. The Lee family (i.e. Sifus Arthur and son Harlan) hold or at least participate in an annual lion dance competition and may have a Fut Ga school over there as well. I beleive there is another guy whose name I don't remember that teaches kenpo and is certified under Sifu Yee to teach Jook Lum mantis. Some web searches may provide exact details.

Jhapa
01-28-2005, 02:24 PM
well, like i said, i'll have plenty of time, at least 3 years probably 4 years of researching, after my wife gets her masters then off to hawaii.

wish i lived closer to mobile or new orleans, i really like the look of the curriculum of liuinstitute of http://www.liuinstitute.com

jungle-mania
01-29-2005, 04:14 AM
I kinda like the idea of staying in Hawaii too, is there sanshou there too?

Michael Dasargo
01-30-2005, 06:37 PM
I had the honor of meeting Arthur and Harlan Lee of the Fut Ga school during my trip to Hawaii last year. They are both very kind and are located in Chinatown Honolulu. I believe they teach San Shou as well.

There are other schools, such as Taiji Tang Lang Quan of Shifu Randy Choy, Tang Lang Quan of Shifu Patrick Hodges, etc.

Hawaii is known as the melting pot of Asian cultures, so you should not have a problem finding a Gong Fu school.

Good Luck!
M.Dasargo

web777
01-31-2005, 01:36 PM
There is many schools to choose from in Hawaii. It's probably has more KF of schools there than anywhere in the mainland given the area. Besides actual kwoons many people teach out of Elementary school gyms and wellness centers. What style are you looking for?

shixingrui
03-01-2005, 12:01 AM
amitoufo,

I was looking through all the threads here and came across this one. I have several friends in Hawaii and hope that within the next 3 years to start a branch shaolin gongfu school of my own there. Either on the big island or on Oahu. Right now we have a shaolin gongfu school in a village just outside of Deng Feng Henan Province. The home of the Shaolin Temple. Shi Xing Ming has a school that specializes in teaching foreignors. They are taught the same of the chinese and all classes are taught in chinese and english.

So maybe our paths will cross there one day!

If you would like to know more information regarding our school you can look at www.shaolintemplekungfu.uk.com. The picture attached is Shi Xing Ming doing exercises in Ying Qigong. That is the art hard qigong. He is preparing to break a steel bar on his head. He teaches this as part of his program for those who train for 6 months or more.

Peace
Shi Xing Rui

Jhapa
03-01-2005, 03:32 PM
amitoufo,

I was looking through all the threads here and came across this one. I have several friends in Hawaii and hope that within the next 3 years to start a branch shaolin gongfu school of my own there. Either on the big island or on Oahu. Right now we have a shaolin gongfu school in a village just outside of Deng Feng Henan Province. The home of the Shaolin Temple. Shi Xing Ming has a school that specializes in teaching foreignors. They are taught the same of the chinese and all classes are taught in chinese and english.

So maybe our paths will cross there one day!

If you would like to know more information regarding our school you can look at www.shaolintemplekungfu.uk.com. The picture attached is Shi Xing Ming doing exercises in Ying Qigong. That is the art hard qigong. He is preparing to break a steel bar on his head. He teaches this as part of his program for those who train for 6 months or more.

Peace
Shi Xing Rui

let it be on honolulu, Ohau. there are more people on ohau. i'll be moving there in about 3 years, so the timing couldn't be more perfect.

shixingrui
03-01-2005, 07:28 PM
amitoufo,

Well Oahu was my first choice. I have been looking at possibly Pearl City or Waimea on the north shore. Waimea holds a very special meaning to me. But I am still in the researching phase to see where the need is.

See you there in a few years! :)

mickey
03-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Greetings,

Are there any other Shaolin schools out there in Hawaii? Even closed door ones?

Thank you,

mickey

shixingrui
03-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Amitoufo,

This is something that I would like to know also. I have 2 friends that live on Oahu. One in Chinatown and the other in Diamond Head. They have been to Au's school and they have looked everywhere for a shaolin gongfu school but have found nothing. What is taught at Au's school is not traditionals Shaolin Gongfu. I hope that someone out there may have some answers about some of the closed doors ones that might be in existence.

Peace

mickey
03-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Greetings,

To be more clear. I am looking for the existence of Shaolin schools in Hawaii that teach a curriculum that predates from that of the current monks of Shaolin. Shaolin schools that have been in Hawaii for a very long time.

mickey

Jhapa
03-07-2005, 02:29 PM
shixingrui,

why don't you tell the board members about yourself, how long, where, what have you been training, etc. what curriculum do you plan on teaching? and what ever you feel like sharing.

brothernumber9
03-07-2005, 03:04 PM
A question becomes, what is actually real shaolin before say 1970. or even before 1929. Part of Hung Ga legend is the southern shaolin monk Jee Shim (sp) that supposedly taught Hung He Goon. If one beleives this true, then learning Hung Ga from Sifu Seng Au or Sifu Buk Sam Kong or whoever is shaolin that predates the "modern" shaolin of songshan. but that opens up even more questions that are hard to subsantiate, or disprove.

In otherwords searching for some sort of "true" shaolin will most likely be a fruitless search any where in the world much less Hawaii.

bamboo_ leaf
03-07-2005, 07:25 PM
http://askjudgelee.com/combativetaichi/html/kekina.html

you might want to give them a look if your interested in taiji

Jhapa
03-07-2005, 09:47 PM
http://askjudgelee.com/combativetaichi/html/kekina.html

you might want to give them a look if your interested in taiji

he seems expensive, compared to what i am paying now and prices around here.

http://askjudgelee.com/combativetaichi/html/classes.html

bamboo_ leaf
03-08-2005, 02:34 AM
Used to practice with his uncle Sam back in the early 80s, 10 dollars a month if I remember right. Anyway I think you will find many other things more expensive in Hi then where your from, just the way it is.

Not pushing anything just suggesting, many people listed other schools I am sure that if you get a chance to stop by one of them they be able to point to others that may better meet your needs or resources.

I found most of the people in Hi to be pretty warm and freindly very big hearts.

Jhapa
03-08-2005, 07:44 AM
i guess i am used to prices here. HI people being friendly, it's got to be the ocean breeze... :D can't wait.

shixingrui
03-08-2005, 06:38 PM
why don't you tell the board members about yourself, how long, where, what have you been training, etc. what curriculum do you plan on teaching? and what ever you feel like sharing....

I studied Wushu with a chinese master in the states for several years. But I always felt that the only place to really learn was China. I have been in China for 3 years...I came to study shaolin gongfu and chan buddhism. During my training time here I met Shi Xing Ming. We decided to join together and create a temple and training school that specializes in teaching foreignors the ways of shaolin temple. He was a monk trained inside of the temple. His uncle is Shi De Qian and he learned everything there was to learn but wanted to teach others without the restrictions that many of the schools placed on their masters when it came to foreignors.

He is now a lay shaolin monk and we have been building a school here in China where we teach and specialize in foreignors. Our web site is www.shaolintemplekungfu.uk.com

We teach forms both northern and southern. Shi Xing Ming was a monk in the Fujian temple for 2 years as well. While there he learned some of the great southern forms. He teaches old style shaolin gongfu not the new modern wushu.

I wish to teach a full schedule of meditation soft qigong, Ying Qigong hard external qigong, forms, weapons, sanda. These are areas that are not taught in most schools outside of China. It is my hope to have the financing to build a school that could allow students to live and train the same as in China. What better place to do that then in a beautiful place like Hawaii. It is a place that has great spiritualism and culture.

Shi Xing Ruei is my shaolin name given to me from Master Shi De Qian...

Peace to all....