PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun Basic Stance Jee Keem Yeung Ma

sumyoungdummy
10-13-2001, 04:10 AM
I have seen various variations on this stance. Some prefer to push the hips/pelvis forward, stick in their tail bone inwards and creating some tension and others prefer to keep their spine straight, not pushing the hip or pelvis forward. They say that pushing the pelvis forward creates tension and that it creates an unatural movement. What do you wing chun practitioners/teachers think? :eek: :eek: :eek:

whippinghand
10-13-2001, 04:42 AM
Pushing your pelvis forward is not a constant thing. It's only SUPPOSED to be done at certain times. Otherwise, it can be quite restricting, especially when you are trying to move.

old jong
10-13-2001, 03:57 PM
A different answer so you can think about it:Why not use it all the times? It becomes easy and natural to keep the stance when moving with some training(chum kyu and mook yan jeong are great for this!).IMO,ygkym done this way helps in "uniting" the upper and lower sections of the body so you can produce good striking power and have a solid root.BTW,it is not "tension" at all.it should be relaxed like everything in wing chun. ;)

Les paroles s'envolent.
Les écrits restent!...

sunkuen
10-13-2001, 05:58 PM
The pelvis cannot be constantly thrust forward.

old jong
10-13-2001, 06:28 PM
Oh no?

Les paroles s'envolent.
Les écrits restent!...

kj
10-13-2001, 06:35 PM
Why not?

kj
10-13-2001, 07:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Pushing your pelvis forward is not a constant thing. It's only SUPPOSED to be done at certain times. Otherwise, it can be quite restricting, especially when you are trying to move. [/quote]

A sense of "restriction" depends on how one is taught to move, and how much it is practiced. A stable spine alignment offers some advantages, and a preference for it is not unwarranted. Active flexing of the spine is not a universal preference. In exploring the wider Wing Chun community, one will find that few preferences are.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

joy chaudhuri
10-13-2001, 07:07 PM
When you sit on a horse or sit down on a high chair or any chair you have to adjust your
pelvis-think about it. Specially when you dont lean on the back of the chair for support.

kj
10-13-2001, 08:36 PM
Good point, Joy, and especially in providing context.

From perspective of my own practice, offered for context, there will be an appropriate and optimal hip tilt for a given vertical position - but always rolled under and forward to some degree, rather than sticking one's butt out. Per our 5 checkpoints as noted in Chris Eckert's article: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Ting yu -- Back straight, pelvis rolled under slightly so that each vertebrae is stacked one on top of the other. The spine is completely aligned. The upper body should not be leaning back nor is the head tilted forward. Maintaining the head in the right position and proper execution of ting yu is a prerequisite for dung tao.[/quote] We have no predilection to actively thrust and tilt our hips back and forth, other than to find, maintain, or regain optimal alignment. I find that structural weakness increases whenever the spine is not kept properly aligned; so I hate it when my own spine is unaligned :(, and I love it when my opponent's is. :D We also prefer to maintain a calm and consistent vertical position, rather than to bob up and down; among other advantages, this seems to help with maintaining consistency in the hip tilt and spinal alignment.

I am interested to understand if others prefer to tilt their hips (or not) for other and different reasons.

Regards,
- kj

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe." - John Muir

[This message was edited by kj on 10-14-01 at 11:49 AM.]

whippinghand
10-14-2001, 12:19 AM
There is a mild "thrust", if you will, that is necessary to achieve proper alignment of the spine; yes. But only insofar as is necesary for the alignment, itself, as it allows optimum mobility. Any further thrust, beyond this point, is used when striking.

old jong
10-14-2001, 12:30 AM
IMO,when the spine is proprely aligned,there is no need to thrust(the pelvis) more for striking because it would cause to throw the alignement off.Of course it is only my opinion! ;)

Les paroles s'envolent.
Les écrits restent!...

whippinghand
10-14-2001, 12:33 AM
It doesn't throw the alignment off. It can't. The only thing it does is add unnecessary tension.
You only want it at times.

joy chaudhuri
10-14-2001, 02:56 AM
I was too overwhelmed with laughter till now
after seeing your profile entry.You apparently know how to stay warm in Montreal! And there is nothing wrong with your structure! Shows where
lots of yee gee kim yeung ma eventually gets you.
:D :D :D

old jong
10-14-2001, 03:28 AM
Hello Yuan Fen. How come you were not at Fong sigung's seminar at Patrick Sifu's place?...I would have love to meet you!...Maybe some other time? ;)
P.S. I did'nt wear my furcoat for this occasion! :D

Les paroles s'envolent.
Les écrits restent!...

joy chaudhuri
10-14-2001, 04:56 AM
It's a long long way to Tipperary...
and Montreal too!
Will do another time.
An YETI, the abominable snow man would love
your kung fu uniform.
But doing chi sao with those hands? No Way. :eek: