PDA

View Full Version : Stances and footwork????

Printer
10-13-2001, 07:54 PM
Is there any place on the web, a book or video that covers all or most of the stances and footwork?

kj
10-13-2001, 09:57 PM
Hi Printer. There is some information on stances and footwork scattered about the internet, in books, on video, etc.. Some problems are:

There are different and often incompatible approaches to stance and footwork. So there will be some work on your part to determine what is consistent with how you practice, or want to practice.
Even then, you still need a good teacher to show, explain and correct. At best, articles, books and videos can serve as a reference for instruction already delivered, or things you already have some understanding of. But these things cannot adequately substitute for qualified, live instruction, and without it, can be more misleading than helpful.

In case you find it of use, here is a link to an article describing some major points of importance in stancework as we practice it. "The Soft Force of Wing Chun" by Chris Eckert (http://www.wingchun.com/Ken_article.html)

If you can be more specific on your lineage, teacher, or method of practice, perhaps someone here can more easily offer relevant references.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

whippinghand
10-14-2001, 12:22 AM
As Kathy Jo wrote, there isn't much out there in the way of Wing Chun.

Researching other chinese arts, in this respect, will probably be more worth your while.

Kung Lek
10-14-2001, 03:52 PM
Hi-

I agree with Kathy Jo that there is no substitute for direct transmission of martial arts knowledge.

But once a foundation is gained, study can branch out into the use of books and videos and seminars et al.

There is plenty of information out there on Wing Chun Kung Fu, both traditional and reformist. Traditional being Yip Man, reformist being Leung Ting.

As for footwork, there is not a lot of footwork in wing Chun as a style. In the three main sets, Siu nim Tao, Chum Kiu and Biu tze. In the weapons sets there is a little more.

Chum kiu and Biu tze have the most in the way of footwork in the shifting, lotus kicks and so on.

In Siu Nim Tao, there is very little in the way of footwork at all as the entire set is performed standing in the same root.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

mun hung
10-14-2001, 07:42 PM
is there more footwork that you won't find in any of the forms?

Jeff Liboiron
10-15-2001, 03:02 AM
If you want good footwork, try out boxing's footwork, i think it is supreme. Unless of course you want to just do Wing Chun, that's ok to :)

Metallica
10-15-2001, 03:17 AM
if there exists footwork not found in the forms, where are they from and how come they are not in the forms and what makes them a proper Wing Chun footwork?

whippinghand
10-15-2001, 05:12 AM
Having a particular stance that doesn't exist in the forms, suggests inconsistency in the Wing Chun system.

There are many stances that exist in the forms, except for SLT, having one, the most important.

joy chaudhuri
10-15-2001, 07:02 AM
To my mind, my own stances and footwork all come from the wing chun forms-though they are not always evident until
the student is ready. I dont import boxing or any other non wing chun footwork. Wing chun is both
very rooted and mobile.
One of the problems in the internet world is that
folks usually want instant answers. For many things it is appropriate but learning an art is a painstakingly evolving process. But sometimes people get in a hurry to learn an advanced skill when they have not mastered the foundations for that skill.
The yee gee kim yeung ma is in the first form, chor ma and biu ma are in the chum kiu, huen ma is in biu gee, many stances and footwork is in the mok jong form...more things in pole work and do work.The wing chun cafetaria is extensive but one has to sample one item at a time. One cannot begin to do chi gerk well until they really master yee gee kim yeung ma, chor ma and have a decent understanding of chi sao. In the words of that famous ad wing chun sells no skill(wc wine) before its time.It is kung fu.

azwingchun
10-15-2001, 08:13 AM
Nicely put. ;)

old jong
10-15-2001, 03:26 PM
I agree to that! :)

Les paroles s'envolent.
Les écrits restent!...

whippinghand
10-15-2001, 03:37 PM
I understand every word that you said.

But don't forget... Not everyone has a good sifu, that actually knows about all the stances that exist in the forms.

Metallica
10-15-2001, 05:58 PM
Yuan Fen,

That was my initial notion when I posted the questions. I believe that the art of Wing Chun has extensive footwork, and through proper study, we can see that no import is necessary.