PDA

View Full Version : So, I might start a club...

HearWa
01-29-2005, 03:00 PM
I've been starting to consider organizing a group to practice freestyle combat martial arts. I have the keys to an old school house that is never used that I use as my primary training area (my second place is the basement, the third, the garage), so I have the resources for this. I am also saving up money to buy some equipment like striking pads and possibly a mat, if I could find one. I have punching bags, boxing gloves, skipping ropes and a medicine ball all ready.

My experience is in ketsugo karate (two years before I quit for kung fu), kung fu (six years and counting) and a year of kickboxing before the school closed down. I also am talking to a boxer who allegedly fought professionally in his past who may be willing to train me. I've had no experience in grappling because there's no way for me to learn it around here. I consider myself lucky to have this experience given martial arts schools are really sparse around here (kung fu, tae kwon do and an iffy ninjitsu school). I've trained on my own for far too long, so this is where this idea came from.

As far as skills go, I consider myself of average skill. I'm nothing special, but I've worked hard to attain the skill I have. I'd like to think I'm a pretty decent fighter who hasn't had the opportunity (ie. clubs such as this) to really hone his skill.

The question is, should I organize a club with this experience? I'm making it invite-only to keep the idiots out. I really would like to start training medium-to-full contact with more open rules (ie. throws and such and the ability to see if my kung fu is really working for me) and this is the only way I could do so. The problem is the people I'd be inviting in would be friends who have just started Kung Fu, but I'm planning to slowly work them into it. Besides, I've learned to never underestimate a beginner. The unpredictability they pose is always an interesting thing.

I don't really want to be "the teacher" in this group either. That would ruin the whole point of it being a club! :)

Have any of you done this, and what were the pros and cons? How did the club go? What type of equipment did you use? How hard did you spar? Any more advice?

Thank you in advance.

Meat Shake
01-29-2005, 04:48 PM
I definately wouldnt advise "Teaching" it at your level, but by all means get a group together to train and share ideas and experiences.
I did that on occasion back home and it was quite a nice learning experience every time, especially when you are dealing with like minded individuals there to learn without ego.
I say go for it, but look into insurance for the space you are using or have people sign waivers simply to keep yourself out of any potential hot water.
And once again, dont teach it. Treat it more like an open forum for advice and help.

Royal Dragon
01-30-2005, 09:11 AM
Make sure you are insured.

As for teaching, once you know something, you can teach it. If you have been doing this a long enough time, and undertsand the progressions and how to prevent injury while getting good results, go ahead and teach. I did, and generated far more positve results for my students than if I had let "fear of", prevent me from doing so.

In my case, I founded my own family. I didn't pretend to be teaching anothers system. When I do teach, I teach the results of my research into the martial arts. It's Kung Fu according to me, and I make it known. So long as you do that, you will be fine.

HearWa
01-30-2005, 10:43 AM
Hm... insurance is a good idea, but how would I go about doing this? Just get them to sign a sheet agreeing that whatever happens is their own **** fault, and not mine or the recreation centers? :) Also, I'll be training in a building owned by the town I live in. If something happened (and assuming they signed the sheet), nobody would be liable except themselves, right?

Remember, this will just be a group of friends training together. I'm nineteen, and the people I'll be training with are about the same age. I don't plan on full-contact yet. I'd like to go hard, but not knock-out hard. It'll basically be a place to work on what you want to while having the opportunity to put it to the test. I also plan on creating an environment as informal as possible since this is just a bunch of friends training together.

About the teaching thing: I know I am not qualified, that's why I'm not doing it! :D <rant>Truth be told I never want to teach. A teaching schedule seems so restrictive... I mean, what if a few years down the line you don't want to do it anymore? Or you want to learn something else? I just don't like the idea of limiting my options like that.</rant>

Nick Forrer
01-30-2005, 02:27 PM
you say that there is no grappling near....However there are plenty of good DVDs on the market/net which will show you the techniques and if you have willing friends and a matted area my advice is just teach yourselves. Obviously this is no substitute for a BJJ school but its the better than nothing.

Check out the vids on this page to get you started

bjj vids (http://www.abhaya.ca/technique.htm )

Royal Dragon
01-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Teach your self? hmm, I think MMA does not frown on this as much as CMA. If you said that about Kung Fu, you'd get endless backlash me thinks.

As for insurance, look in the big magazines, there are allways ads for MA insurance companies. Contact them, price out options that fit your needs, and draw up some release forms and have everyone sign them. Better to cover your ass, than not.

I have never taught uninsured, or without signed waivers.