PDA

View Full Version : Kwan Sau drills

marcus_pasram
10-14-2001, 05:37 AM
Hi,

Recently, I had a chance to meet up with a few Wing Chun practicioners. This time we spent a lot of time discussing Kwan Sau and its many usages. Let me tell you - there were so many concepts and theory that my head was spinning.

Afterwards, each of us presented and shared a kwan sau drill we practiced. It was a great learning experience.

My school's site (http://www.wingchunnyc.com) has a kwan sau drill movie that we practice. Click on the technique button and Its under the heading Movies of daily drill training 3rd from left.

Do you practice this kind of kwan sau drill? What are some of the ways you drill kwan sau?

Looking forward to you replies,
Marcus

In America you can go on the air and kid the politicians, and the politicians can go on the air and kid the people.

wingchunalex
10-17-2001, 03:52 AM
both partners are in cho ma (sitting horse). one person punches, the other kwan sau's blocking with the tan sau part. then the person who punched lop da's the tan sau of the other person'a kwan sau with the same hand they punched with. the other person then cho ma's and kwan sau's the other direction blocking the the lop da of the other, and you just keep cycling like that.

know yourself don't show yourself, think well of yorself don't tell of yourself. lao tzu

Vankuen
10-17-2001, 05:24 AM
Is that from Augustine Fongs lineage? I do that also....thats why I was asking. I have it seen it commonly in that lineage as well as Wong shun leung's. Just wondering because I use that drill too.

"From one thing know ten thousand" - Miyomato Musashi, Book of five rings

marcus_pasram
10-17-2001, 02:10 PM
Hi Alex,

I have a question about your reply. The drill you mentioned sounds very familiar but I don't want to make any assumptions. ;)

You described that the tan sau blocks the punch? what is the defender's other hand doing? I just want to get the right idea :D

Thanks,
Marcus

In America you can go on the air and kid the politicians, and the politicians can go on the air and kid the people.

melfid
10-18-2001, 04:42 PM
This one was addopted from a similar pak sau drill.

Both partners facing each other in neutral horse. Then one starts chain punching in sets of three. The other does kwan sau from the outside of the punching hand for each punch.

Like I said, I never liked doing this one. I still have no idea what its for.

Dan

Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.

Douglas Adams, Arthur Dent in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

burnsypoo
10-18-2001, 09:23 PM
In chi sau, your partner does a gum da on you. (his fook on your bong presses down and the other hand punches). you could react by rolling into a kwan sau while stepping forward. As long as his gum keeps contact, your dai-bong will be there to stick with it while your tan will disperse his punch.

Then he could do a Jut-dah or whatever.. just an example.

-BP-