PDA

View Full Version : Genki Sudo Vs Juko Kai

Strangler
01-31-2005, 12:03 AM
http://www.jukoryu.com/TV/sudo.mpg

I wonder if these guys can take htis to the head and face.

Kristoffer
01-31-2005, 05:38 AM
Too bad it's so small, but I watched it anyway.

Interesting, if anyone speaks japanese can u translate what they are saying? Like that doctor and old man, and those guys in the studio. (isn't that the K1 ref?)

Kristoffer
02-01-2005, 04:55 AM
ttt

anton
02-01-2005, 05:21 AM
Are these those the guys who paddle their balls with table tennis raquets... they used to get discussed a fair bit around here.

The Willow Sword
02-01-2005, 07:15 AM
focus intent and the ability to absord attacks to weak areas. i am sure all the hits hurt the other and some damage was sustained. but that is the whole point i think,,to embrace the pain of those attacks and remain focused.

in japan ,,the sumo wrestlers learn to retract thier testicles so as to avoid getting tweaked there by a hit ,kick or grab.

i liked the vid,,,good post.

Peace,,TWS

Sekabin
02-01-2005, 07:48 AM
Most of the Japanese is what you'd expect - "ouch, man that's gotta hurt" etc... :D

Sudo can often be seen saying "it's not working".

Mat can probably fill you in on the rest - I don't do testicle discussion translations :o

Kristoffer
02-01-2005, 08:10 AM
ok, thx Sekabin

I wonder if Sudo is gonna take up their practise now.. :D

red5angel
02-01-2005, 08:24 AM
anton, I believe you are refering to the Juko Kai guys.

red5angel
02-01-2005, 08:35 AM
don't we have a few japanese speakers here on the forum? I'm curious to hear what some of these commentators are saying, particularly the Japanese instructor around 10:56, and the guy before him as well.

Mr Punch
02-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Sekabin
I don't do testicle discussion translations :o That's not what I've heard! :p

Red, the jukokai guy before the Japanese instructor is just on about it being a mix of mind and body... nothing too esoteric, and you can just hear him over the Japanese translation. Or were you talking about the doctor guy before him?

The Japanese instructor is mainly saying they are concentrating on one point as it comes in. Wasn't really listening, but I'll check it out again some time if you want a full translation!

The funniest part was Genki saying at the end of the demo... " Well, yeah, there are really lots of kinds of people in the world!"

Otherwise he was saying he was pulling the punch to the throat at first because he was worried anbout it but then he let rip and it really wasn't having an effect.

The old guy on the show was 'Guts' Yamamoto, a famous ex-champion boxer and yes, that was the K1 ref, who was also a kyoukushin champion (I forget his name... and was it kyoukushin...?!).

edit: oh yeah they were also saying that they could see how it could be done with the body and even the throat, but not the nuts. They obviously hadn't seen much of traditional karate. And Genki said it would take him at least five years to learn.

Mr Punch
02-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
anton, I believe you are refering to the Juko Kai guys. Yep, that's who they were.

red5angel
02-01-2005, 01:18 PM
yeah I could mostly make out what the "Juko Guy" (Get It?! :D ) was saying but I was wondering what all the commentary was about on the Japanese side.

I kind of look at these Juko Kai people this way: They're are sort of on the esoteric side, and they put on a good show that may seem a little bizarre to some but at the very least they have an applicable skill of some sort that they can obviously develope in those willing to learn. Is it practical? I don't know, I'm not sure what thet "trick" is exactly but for self defense it seems reasonable being able to take shots like that would come in handy at some point.

I guess knowing what I know at this point I give them props for not only being very public about teir skillset, but for being open to a professional fighter coming in and testing the truth out.
Thanks for helping out by the way Mat.

Kristoffer
02-02-2005, 06:44 AM
Thank's Mat for the translation.
Since I'm a fan of Genki I had to watch this clip. Before I always thought Juko Kai was bs, but now I'm not sure about that. They condition themself by hitting their balls with tennisrackets??

I wonder if this practise can have a damaging effect, and if they can take shots while in a fight. In a fight they can't stand and focus on one spot, they won't know where it's coming from.

Sekabin
02-02-2005, 07:50 AM
My view, not going into the testicle talk, is that we should take Genki's apparent surprise with a pinch of salt. That sort of stuff is on tv all the time here, where celebrities from all walks of life look 'shocked' at remarkable feats.

And as for using tennis rackets as a tool for training... er.... tools, i can think of better uses for realistic fight scenarios!!! :D

red5angel
02-02-2005, 08:24 AM
I think it appeared as if Genki was genuinely surprised and impressed. You're right, it could be that it was staged but I didn't get that feeling. He probably went there expecting to find what amounts to a bunch of fakes, and found that whether they had the ability to fight, they could take some serious punishment in some historically soft spots.