PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin-Do teacher accused of Aggravated Sexual Assault of a child.

Judge Pen
01-31-2005, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
http://www.kvue.com/perl/common/video/wmPlayer.pl?title=www.kvue.com/0126assault.wmv

Text:
An arrest warrant has been issued for an Austin martial arts instructor accused of sexually assaulting one of his students.

KVUE's report
Lorens Sanpedro, 28, is charged with aggravated sexual assault of a child -- a first degree felony.

Sanpedro is accused of engaging in sexual acts with a 15-year-old girl for more than a year.

Police say Sanpedro knew the victim since the girl was 8-years-old.

Judge Pen
01-31-2005, 07:29 AM
This thread is to disuss the issues and ramnifications of this accusation. The other thread quickly degraged into petty arguments of language and personal attacks which were not relevant to the issues at hand and detracted from what appears to be an issue in the martial arts world at large.

I ask that the author of that thread delete it and all discussions take place here.

Judge Pen
01-31-2005, 07:33 AM
As I practitioner of SD, let me say how sorry I am to hear of this news. This is sad news to hear. :(

Hua Lin Laoshi
01-31-2005, 08:00 AM
I don't recall Kenpo getting a bad rap after Jay T. Will got busted for selling coke.

I don't think anyone made any claims that Kenpo schools were in the drug dealing business.

Brad
01-31-2005, 08:07 AM
In regular public schools(at least around here) special rules/training are made to try and prevent this kind of thing from happening, like requiring at least two teachers to be present for a private meeting with one student. Do the schools in this organization have any similar type rules(or training) to try and avoid these kind of situations? And do you think if a martial arts school lacked these kind of safegaurds(say, if it was happening during private lessons at the school), could it possibly open up the school itself to a civil suit?

Judge Pen
01-31-2005, 08:11 AM
Civil suits are always possible. I guess it would depend on the level of oversight an organization has on individual instructors and the autonomy of the instructor accused. What you suggest, Brad, is a good idea--but may not be workable for small schools. Some schools only have one instructor and scheduling for private instruction may be complicated.

At the very least, schools should discuss these types of issues with their instructors, and put policies in writting is possible.

sean_stonehart
01-31-2005, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Hua Lin Laoshi
I don't recall Kenpo getting a bad rap after Jay T. Will got busted for selling coke.

I don't think anyone made any claims that Kenpo schools were in the drug dealing business.

True but the Tracy brothers (specifically Al more than his brother)& their "Dubious" activities still haunt them even now.

I think it'll be the stigma of the occurance hanging around the school for a little while. I think the school itself & the students of the school will get past it. Those that leave would've left anyway more than likely.

FuXnDajenariht
01-31-2005, 08:21 AM
and...its not like the seats in the catholic church aren't still being warmed. you dont gotta apologize for what some pervert did.

BM2
01-31-2005, 08:29 AM
I do hope the girl receives counceling to get past this.
And I agree that Brad put forth some good points. You can not tell from looking or being around a person as to what they are capable of doing. It never entered into my mind when I taught that something like this could occur. Not just between instructor and student but also between students.

Brad
01-31-2005, 08:45 AM
What you suggest, Brad, is a good idea--but may not be workable for small schools. Some schools only have one instructor and scheduling for private instruction may be complicated.

At my first wushu school, a parent was usually required to be present for private instruction of a minor. If I were a parent, I would actually insist on this. In this case the parents probably would have felt ok leaving their daughter with this guy since they'd known him so long, but I think most molestation takes place with people known for a long time, or even familly members. When I get my own school, I'll probably insist on this. Keeps the parents from having to worry about looking like they don't trust the teacher or feeling overprotective(for those that have been in the school for a long time, and parents of teenagers).

David Jamieson
01-31-2005, 08:46 AM
I don't know what sexual deviance has to do with any organization. Except for those organizations taht forward the wagenda of sexual deviance. Like NAMBLA and the likes.

People who belong to all kinds of organizations commit acts that are not socially acceptable. Polioce men commit rape and spouse abuse. In fact, In their demograph, they are one of teh highest perpetrators of domestic violence. Which is why they are probably the best ones to deal with a situation...and not. Anyway, just saying.

You know how there is a saying that there is a fine line between Insanity and genius? The same is true for criminal and law enforcer when it gets down to motive and opportunity.

But, this is not about anti-police or authority, My point will be about a couple fo things.

Number 1. Why is it about the SD organization. I mean I understand how any publicity is good publicity, but this is ridiculous! And, the organization has not been mentioned in the news.

Number 2. The guy was -charged- not convicted. This could very well be trumped up and requires dues process to determine if it is one way or the other.

Number 3. How can an organization prevent this? Well, In Canada, we have a national sex offenders registry and we have a thing called Cpic. The RCMP are our national police and serve as sort of a secret service/fbi equivalent here. Any organization can have in place a need for a background check for a criminal record. And they can also do the same through the sex offender registry.

For instance, you cannot get work in a bank if you've commited fraud etc etc and you can't work in a daycare if you are a child sex offender and so on. Makes sense doesn't it. The same goes for a public or private school and frankly more and more organizations are weeding out people with past offenses from their ranks and barring any further from entering. So as this becomes a new level of professional standard, It behooves the SD organization to get with this type of business practice before allowing anyone to head a franchise.

Some of you might say "what? what about right to privacy? To which the response is , If it is a matter of public record that you have commited a criminal act of any nature, then that is simply not a private thing. You have harmed society or members of it and you would be an idiot to think you should be granted protection.

Now, you can of course after a period of time ask for some sort of pardon or purge when you have shown that you have mended your ways and this may or may not be granted to you. This will in effect bar access to any of your criminal past and allow you to move forward in your shiny new rehabilitated life. But if you **** up, clamp go the cuffs and open goes your record again.

But what about people who have never been caught? What about those who have yet to act upon their urges?

Well, to be quite frank, you can't do anything about this at all. And you'll have to deal with the situation when it occurs if and when it occurs.

The end.

Judge Pen
01-31-2005, 08:47 AM
I've worked a lot with high schoolers in my day. In kung fu class, in church youth groups, as a tutor/counselor for an upward bound summer program, and as a coach for a high school mock trial team. I've always been very careful of any interaction with the girls especially. You want to make sure that any interaction can't be misinterpreted by anyone.

Not to say that's what happened in this case. We simply don't know yet. If it's true, then the guy should receive the full punishment the law allows. If it's not true, then his life is changed anyway. It's a very sad situation.

Originally posted by Brad
At my first wushu school, a parent was usually required to be present for private instruction of a minor. If I were a parent, I would actually insist on this. In this case the parents probably would have felt ok leaving their daughter with this guy since they'd known him so long, but I think most molestation takes place with people known for a long time, or even familly members. When I get my own school, I'll probably insist on this. Keeps the parents from having to worry about looking like they don't trust the teacher or feeling overprotective(for those that have been in the school for a long time, and parents of teenagers).

That's an excellent idea, but I'm sure the parents are sick to have trusted him in private instruction. Even still, there could still be a problem with private insstruciton of adults (same or different sex).

The Willow Sword
01-31-2005, 08:47 AM
I am still In Nova Scotia right now and just read this thread and i gotta say "WHOA"!!!!

I know Lorens,,,i used to train along side him,,i saw him go from white belt to 1st degree black and in all that time he was a decent guy to me and was honorable in everything he did.

This is a shock to me,,,,i am trying to figure out who it was that he "allegedly" sexually assaulted. i have an idea of who it is because if she was a student starting at 8 years old there then it would have been the time that i was definately there AND teaching. But i am not going to assume anything at this point.

This WILL undoubtedly be a real black mark and scar on the SD school,,and i cant say as i am happy about it. i do not wish ill will on the school and i have moved past my feelings of animosity towards Joe,,,,i hate to think that this is going to damage his rep there and his school. he has made quite a buisness there in austin.

if anyone wants to discuss things with me about this feel free to PM me, as i am not going to post anything more publicly. if i were called upon by the law to testify i would do so on Lorens' behalf. if in fact he is guilty of this charge then i hope he gets the help he needs and that this girl is not psychologically damaged by this(given that the "alleged" relationship was consential)
errrgh,,a tough issue.

Peace,,TWS

Judge Pen
01-31-2005, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Kung Lek

Number 1. Why is it about the SD organization. I mean I understand how any publicity is good publicity, but this is ridiculous! And, the organization has not been mentioned in the news.

I decided to include SD in the title of the new thread because I was accused of being mad at the thread for naming SD. That bit of information would come up anyway so I included it. I dont' think this is indicative of SD in anyway. This kiknd of thing can happen in any situation where adults work with children. MA schools are but one of these.

Brad
01-31-2005, 09:09 AM
Even still, there could still be a problem with private insstruciton of adults (same or different sex).
True, there's not much you could do with adults in this situation, unless you wanted to install security cameras.

David Jamieson
01-31-2005, 09:15 AM
Do we really need more controls in our lives and society?

Do we need more police, more laws, more pressure?

I don't think so personally. What we need is a clearer idea of ethics, less perpetuation of the meme of its ok to be a ***** or an ass.hole or a moron from our mass media. (too many shows to mention that do this and feed us the idea that it's ok to do and act this stuff out)

Society is degrading, and through inaction we are all helping. But ultimately, you can really only change yourself. You can of course hold to a hope that your good example will inspire another to change to the better as well, but in reality that's just your ego talking. It is your desire talking and it is your need to control that motivates you to change someone elses life.

It really is each persons own job to change their life and to do the right thing.

I think with less examples of the right thing available, it is only natural course of human action to do less and less of the right thing.

It's not about blame. It's about each of us and what we do.

Judge Pen
01-31-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Kung Lek

It's not about blame. It's about each of us and what we do.

Agreed. The ironic thing is that this "man in the mirror" argument was the topic of a song by Jacko who is accused of this very thing.

And as long as we live in the society that we do, we need to take all reasonable actions to protect our legal interests.

David Jamieson
01-31-2005, 09:31 AM
As much as we may come to realize that reality is illusion, as Einstein said, It is very pervasive! :p

Man in the mirror is the correct.

Dualism is how we understand pretty much everything.

To transcend duality is to transcend being understood by the greater majority of people. It is also the gateway to Nirvana and ah...there's that duality again. lol

hapless monkeys are we, luminous beings? NOT.

Akhilleus
01-31-2005, 09:52 AM
This is terrible news...

but if it is not true it will still damage the instructor's career and life...that's why I don't go in the changing room if there are any minors in there...

MasterKiller
01-31-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by FuXnDajenariht
and...its not like the seats in the catholic church aren't still being warmed. you dont gotta apologize for what some pervert did. The catholic church is in a tail-spin because they tried to cover up the abuse to save face and in many cases may have unintentionally allowed it to continue by not being forthcoming with information they had in regard to the cases.

That's why it is important for these details to be released to the general public.

wdl
01-31-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Brad

That's a very sound policy that's reflected in alot of counciling and teaching environments. You never can be too careful.

-Will

Jhapa
02-03-2005, 07:44 AM
i was told that he was kicked out of the SD system almost 2 years ago.

Judge Pen
02-03-2005, 07:52 AM
I heard he was kicked out too.

This topic came up after official charges were filed. I dont' know any details about his teaching status or if he was, in fact, kicked out of the system. Just grapevine type stuff.

You would hope that he was kicked out if anyone above his suspected that something inappropriate was happening.

Jhapa
02-03-2005, 07:57 AM
i was told that he confessed to the girls parents that he was in love or so on but the girl (at the time didn't admit to them having sex) but i guess she changed her mind. he was was kicked out of the whole system and the head instructor(i'll leave his name out called head master(not sin, in kentucky school and told him the instructor was kicked out and why).