PDA

View Full Version : Student Manhandled?

SPJ
01-31-2005, 09:37 AM
A Kentucky teacher aide lifted a 13 year old boy and pinned him down on the table. The incident was caught on tape.

He is suspended with no pay pending court decision tommorrow.

So the question is when the teacher or school administrators may use physical force to restrain?

The student is threatening fellow classmates and the teacher verbally or physically?

What methods of restrain are allowed?

Or any physical contact and who ever starts first is considered an assault and illegal?

ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/US/)

:confused:

Judge Pen
01-31-2005, 09:54 AM
The only thing that I can say is that the teacher must act "reasonable under the circumstances." Who knows what that really means?

Akhilleus
01-31-2005, 10:01 AM
I studied some law at the university...I remember hearing that if you say something like "I'm gonna get you!" or "If you do this I will hit you!" doesn't count as verbal assault or whatever...but you can't say things like "I am going to beat you up!" As you can tell, I have no business posting this as I don't really know what I am talking about, but I remember my teacher saying something about that...

as for what teachers can do, I'm not really sure...both my 'rents are teachers so I will ask one of 'em

Golden Tiger
01-31-2005, 10:04 AM
"Murray, KY (AP) -- A judge is expected to decide on Tuesday how to proceed in the case of a teacher's aide allegedly caught on tape assaulting a 13-year-old boy at a school for students with behavorial problems.

Calloway County District Judge Jeann Carroll could send the case against Charles D. Parrott on to a grand jury for possible indictment on a felony assault charge or deal with the charge as a misdemeanor in her own courtroom.

The video from a surveillance camera shows Parrott holding Dimitri Ross off the ground and against an office wall.

Defense attorney Rick Lamkin said Parrott was restraining the boy. Prosecutor David Harrington said the tape shows an assault.

"The video is a piece of evidence," Harrington said. "It's one piece of the puzzle."

Lamkin wants the video barred as evidence because it has been shown repeatedly on local and national television newscasts.

Kentucky State Police Trooper Brad Smith showed the video to local media, saying the community has a right to see the incident that occurred at the Calloway County Day Treatment Center in Murray.

Parrott was charged with second-degree assault on Dec. 13, two days after the incident. Mayfield residents have rallied to support him, even raising money for his defense.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved."

I can't view the clip but the report says that the kid had "behavorial problems". More than likely this means that it was a kid that had no parental discipline, no teacher discipline and no self discipline.

It amazes me...if a kid acted up in school or anywhere for that matter back when I was young, who ever saw them would have busted their a$$, then took them home and the parents would have busted it again. Yeah yeah, I know..child abuse child abuse. What ever. A good a$$ whooping never hurt anyone.

It is interesting to me that out of the group of friends that I grew up with, the ones (myself included) that had discipline at home all grew up and made something of themselves. The ones that didn't ended up in jail, burnt out, or dead. Makes me stop and wonder just how good it is for parents that try to be their childrens "friends".

Just a thought......

brothernumber9
01-31-2005, 10:37 AM
when I was in 5th grade, a kid in my class was cursing at the teacher and refusing to do work. When told to go to the Principal's office he refused to move. The principal showed up and the kid tries to kick him while still sitting in his desk, after unsuccessfully trying to remove him from the desk, the principal (a strong dude) picked up the whole desk with the kid in it and carried him away. ( it was one of those solitary student desks, a small writing surface attached to a metal arm of sorts with a plastic chair.)

It hardly even made the rounds of discussion at lunch time, much less any publication or news anywhere.

Jhapa
01-31-2005, 10:44 AM
when i was in 5th grade and i did that, i would have gotten my ass whooped from the teacher, than the principle, of course i was attending Korean school.

brothernumber9
01-31-2005, 10:57 AM
From what the kid told me a week later, he said that's what happened (he was suspended for 1 week and had in-school suspension for an additional week). The principal jacked him up against the wall, holding him off the ground by his shirt. He said he spit in the principal's face and the principal dropped hm. he tried to catch himself but stumbled into the desk he was pulled from and bounced his head off the corner of a light switch or fire alarm or whatever was on the wall and cut himself slightly. The principal had his oldest brother come and pick him up and take him home. His brother beat the crap out of him.

PangQuan
01-31-2005, 11:33 AM
Kids have it easy these days. I went to elementary in Texas, two words, corporal punishment. We were taught manners, and if you didnt get it the first time, a wooden paddle to the @ss made sure you got it the second time. Now people get all in a fuss if your kid gets yelled at. I guess I come from a world that is now gone.

SPJ
01-31-2005, 12:55 PM
Bamboo stick whip or rattan whip was used in the old time by law enforcers.

It is still a form of legal punishment in Singapore. It opens your skin and leaves scars.

When I was a student in '60, it was standing or kneeling. Everybody laughs at you. That is humilating or punishment enough. No physical beatings.

If not, you are asked to lift something up for a long time, or pushups.

The scary one is to face the wall and think about your mistake.

"Face the wall" was the most dreaded "punishment".

shaolinboxer
01-31-2005, 02:56 PM
I teach in Brooklyn and you cannot touch the kids...that means you cannot even break up a fight. So if you see one of your favorite students getting beat on, statutory law states that physically breaking up the fight is beyond your responsibility.
You have to call security or you will be charged with assault.

One of my fellow teachers just got busted under the new anti-corporal punishment rules for making a class watch another class eat lunch. She's lucky she wasn't fired as she's not tenured. The language of the new statues are so ambiguous...like you cannot "intimidate" a kid into doing work. WTF does that even mean?

Shaolinlueb
01-31-2005, 03:02 PM
kids do have it easy these days. they are sop disrespectful. i mean there are good kids out there, and ones with respect. but too many parents rely on tv and others to parent their kid. but there is a difference between beating the crap out of the kid and discplineing them. if i messed up in school my parents would let me have it. i thank them now, i would be a lot worse off. a little discipline never hurt anyone.

cerebus
02-01-2005, 12:32 AM
Of course there's a difference between spanking a kid and beating the crap out of them, but I definitely agree with Golden Tiger. The kids who I grew up with (myself included) who received discipline from their parents while growing up turned out waaay better than those who didn't. Of course, those whose parents totally beat the crap out of them as kids turned out to be the worst.

It's ridiculous that a teacher isn't even allowed to break up a fight! Screw that! Some rules just go too far.

Strangler
02-01-2005, 12:55 AM
He should have punched the teacher in the face.

cerebus
02-01-2005, 01:58 AM
:rolleyes: Uh, yeah. Right.

I have a good friend who is a high school English teacher for "problem" children. She's been assaulted, had black eyes, had desks & chairs thrown at her, and makes crap for a paycheck. You can take your suggestion as to what the kid "should" have done and stick it up your azz.

Strangler
02-01-2005, 02:34 AM
That's a she not a he. The guy was obviously power trippin.

cerebus
02-01-2005, 03:12 AM
It's obvious? How so? Do you have some information that wasn't in the article? You don't have any idea what went down in that situation. The kid could've claimed to have a knife. He could've claimed to have a gun. Then again, maybe the teacher WAS wrong. But none of us really knows, which is why it's stupid to make comments like that without knowing the whole situation.

Strangler
02-01-2005, 03:20 AM
It's called speculation. Your getting angry for no reason.

cerebus
02-01-2005, 05:12 AM
"It's called speculation."

No, it's called talking crap when you don't have a clue.

BM2
02-01-2005, 07:42 AM
When I was in the 7th grade I misplaced my math book. Didn't think it was no big deal as there were others in a locker inside the classroom. I asked the teacher if I could use one of the spare books as I could not find mine (turns up I had left it in English class inside my desk). He replied that I was distrupting his class and for me to go into the hall.
Now I had never gotten into any trouble before and was thinking at the time he was just kidding untill he came out with a paddle. He told me to bend over and grab my ankles which me being really skinny was able to do. This places your butt straight up and makes the hamstrings tight as a drum. He swung so hard that he only caught the 2 to 3 inches of the outside of the back of my leg, almost missed me. It did, however, cause the blood vessals to rupture and the blood pool up under the skin. What some call a blood blister.
I was outside and in a pair of shorts when my Mom saw the back of my leg. She asked what happened, then what did I do to get hit like that. Mom then called him up at home and I didn't know my Mom knew such cuss words and that she could use them properly. All I was thinking was I have to go to class and face him after her calling him everything.
He would also give out "licks" as that was what we called getting hit by the paddle, for anyone that failed a test. An additonal "lick" for each offense. He gave no quater to the girls either.