PDA

View Full Version : developing my sexy Capoeira body

red5angel
02-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Well it's sexy enough, just ask NP's mom, but I need to develop good strength like a gymnast maybe so I'm starting this thread to get suggestions on some exercises which I will catalogue and come up with a regular routine for.

To set the stage here is what my workout time looks like, my available equipment can be located on my blog thread.

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday mornings I have 45 min. to an hour to workout before work. Wednesday morning and friday morning I'm too trashed since I get home late from Capoeira class the night before.

Monday nights, Wednesday nights and Friday nights I could devote an hour to working out as well.

Saturdays I have capoeira class and that is usually enough although I may do some running or something depending on how I feel.

Sundays is usually my day off but I usually find my self putting in some time doing something specific. So I dont burn out if I do anything on sunday it's usually either something I haven't got to work on all week and I like to make it a short workout, 30-45 minutes.

Here's a couple of the theories I'm working for what I need to really hit to develop a good physique for capoeira.

First, stable and strong joints are important. You're often in some bizarre postion where you have to rely as much on the strength of a joint as much as anything else.

While some of capoeira is about power, more often then not it seems muscular endurance and physical finesse pay off more so. you're average capoeirista is a wiry but strong individual.

That said, lets hear some ideas on some good exercises. If you have a link for an example that would be great. Descriptions are necessary since I have a horrible memory for the names of thinsg like exercises, or forms or tehcniques!

Chief Fox
02-01-2005, 01:48 PM
How about Parallette Training: http://www.american-gymnast.com/tt/paralletteguide/index.html

I built a set of parallettes out of PVC for less than $10.

Ford Prefect
02-01-2005, 02:12 PM
And I built a set for under $9.50! Sucker!

red5angel
02-01-2005, 02:13 PM
hey Chief, can you give me the details on what you used to make those? I'm not what you would call constructionally inclined but I might be able to figure this out pretty easily.

Chief Fox
02-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Here's a link to how I built mine: http://www.drillsandskills.com/pics/paralettes.gif

You will need:
- 1.5 inch or 2 inch PVC about 8 feet I think
- 4 90° "elbows"
- 4 "T"'s
- 8 end caps

I didn't use glue when I put mine together. They friction fit pretty tight. They are very easy to make.

red5angel
02-01-2005, 02:29 PM
awesome, thanks man!

Mo Lung
02-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
And I built a set for under $9.50! Sucker! I bought a set for AU$30*, but that's because I'm too lazy to make 'em.

(*I think that's about a quarter in American money).

rubthebuddha
02-01-2005, 10:08 PM
but it's $847 in canadian, so it can go either way.

Hau Tien
02-02-2005, 06:30 AM
Awesome... this is exactly the sort of thing I've been looking for to change up my workouts, now that I've dumped a bunch of weight.

Great post about the Parallettes, and the plans to build em!

red5angel
02-02-2005, 07:52 AM
It will probably be a couple of weeks before I build some since I'm moving in April and not sure what the new crib will be like. For now I've managed to get my hands on Bullet Proof abs by Pavel. I'm gong to go through that and start working on the Planche stuff.