PDA

View Full Version : kyokushin karate vs drunken boxing clip

Strangler
02-01-2005, 03:38 PM
http://www.bullshido.com/videos/DrunkenKung%20FuVsKyokushin.mpg

joedoe
02-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Kinda sad really. Some people just don't get it. At least they stepped up and took their beating.

DragonzRage
02-01-2005, 03:43 PM
LOL, thanx! That was some funny $hit. I thought the last two videos were funny but this one just puts them to shame.

PangQuan
02-01-2005, 04:01 PM
That was interesting, thats one reason why i stick to the shaolin.

David Jamieson
02-01-2005, 04:09 PM
51 MB?:eek:
you got something against all the dial up folks on here! :p

The Willow Sword
02-01-2005, 04:17 PM
first of all,,,,if any of you who have toyed around with drunken boxing will have understood by now that you do not start stumbling and fumbling around putting yourself off center like that. drunken is a close quarters style of fighting and it is when you are engaged that you THEN begin to work around the opponent and then strike in the odd manners of the drunk.
true the style can be a bit flambouyant in its forms and as the wushu drunken shows all those torturous acrobatics and falling,,you saw the second opponent taking hits,several of them actually. at least hes goe the taking of hits down pretty well:D ,,hehe all of em did. anyway drunken is not really for the ring anyway,,drunken fighters are dirty fighters anyway,,throat locks groin grabbing and yanking and clawing tactics to the eyes etc etc are trademarks. drunken just looks cool and quite frankly that is all that is taught these days,,cool lookin movements.

Peace,,TWS

red5angel
02-01-2005, 04:31 PM
The first guy in the dark outfit had not commitment. He went for a leg sweep and stopped, and half his shots were weak, like he was sparring not fighting. Could be an example of you fight like you train?

The second guy proves that some of these more esoteric styles of fighting just aren't as practical as the basics. He gets kicked in the face almost everytime the dude in white takes a shot. So much for evading. eventually all his stumbling around stops and he just sort of hangs out.

ShaolinTiger00
02-01-2005, 04:40 PM
LMAO you guys have an excuse for everything...

sean_stonehart
02-01-2005, 05:05 PM
Hey JP... any chance of a translation on the Nihongo???

All I've got to say is the kyokukshin headhunters were out that day & owned the other guys. Hands Down.

gfx
02-01-2005, 11:38 PM
did these guys ( kungfu) learn their stuff from comics or something? They look more like nerdy kungfu wannabe club members rather than kungfu practitioners. What's with that bow btw?

Strangler
02-02-2005, 12:32 AM
this clip showed why elg sweeps generally don't work.

Strangler
02-02-2005, 04:16 AM
in order for the drunken style to work at its most effectiveness you have to get drunk first. Just watch the legend of the drunken amster by Jackie Chan. jacie chan wa slosing a fight but his step mom kept throwing alcohol to him than once he got drunk eough he started winning. One problem with the drunken style though is the practitioners of the art often become alcoholics.

The Willow Sword
02-02-2005, 06:10 AM
yes yes you MUST actually be DRUNK in order for the drunken style to work. :rolleyes:

in all seriousness,,all drunken style is,,is a way to recieve punishment and pain. yeah thats it,,,,,,its my "excuse for everything" as ST says :rolleyes:

Peace,,TWS

Golden Tiger
02-02-2005, 06:20 AM
Interesting. What I saw was that the drunks weren't very good fighters...period. You could almost tell that they didn't spar much and if they did, it was no contact.

red5 was correct in that the drunks didn't commit with anything they did. Also, they tried fighting the karate guys at the wrong distance. As TWS pointed out, that style is close range, 0 distance fighting and yet they were not getting in to do their stuff. They more or less offered there heads for the others to kick at. If they had moved inside off a missed kick(if there was one) they probably would have faired much better. A couple of times they caught kicks and what did they do??? nothing. Not good, not good at all.

Just goes back to the point that you better know what kind of beast you are trying to slay. BJJ guys won't get in a kicking contest with TKD guys and TKD guys won't try to out grapple a BJJ guy.

Kristoffer
02-02-2005, 06:34 AM
Strangler -

Is there any bigger versions of this video? You always post great vids but their always so small

Mr Punch
02-02-2005, 06:36 AM
I don't know what planet some of you peopple are from.

Ok, the first guy was a joke, very bad timing, fancy moves.

I thought the second guy did a hell of a lot better than most of you would. Yeah he was skinny, but he moved in quickly, and seemed to punch well (with good body connection). Of course it didn't make a dent on the kyokushin guy, but they practise full contact. I'm tempted to say let's see your videos of your kyokushin sparring fights! LOL

These kyokushin guys beat a lot of very strong trained people. Like (http://ko.sherdog.com/pictures/k1_053004/k1_01.htm) some of these for example.

So all in all, considering he's doing a very indirect style of kungfu partly designed to trick people into thinking you are drunk (clue: the kyokushin guy may have rumbled to this!), and he's not doing any damage to the kyokushin guy, I think he did very well!

And yeah he got whacked with a lot of strong kicks... he didn't evade them fully... but Red, he didn't ****ing go down did he! Makes me think he'd evaded some quite nicely, turning them into glancing blows rather than getting knocked down, without compromising his structure.

I wonder how he would have done if he were allowed to punch the guy in the head, clinch, sweep, throw etc... these are not allowed in kyokushin rules (actually not sure about sweeping but... the others...). Probably would have lost anyway, as he's far too skinny, but any of you dimwits claiming this as ultimate superiority of kyokushin over kungfu need to do more full contact sparring.

AND what the hell was wrong with the third guy's performance? He gave as good as he got considering it was obviously only a little demo bout.

BTW I don't know why anybody wants to know what the Japanese commentary was saying! They were saying nothing useful about kungfu, and in general your average Japanese person knows approx 758693 times less about kung fu than even members of KFM...! :rolleyes:

The Willow Sword
02-02-2005, 06:55 AM
seems like Mat has a bug up his A$$ about something.

put it to rest guy. its not impressing anyone.:rolleyes:

PEACE,,TWS

Royal Dragon
02-02-2005, 07:23 AM
It seems to me the first Drunken guy got some great hand techniques in on his opponents wide open face. If he'd been a half step closer they might have done something.

I don't know the rules here, but if face contact was allowed, then the issue is the Drunken Boxers lack of contact sparring. he didn't know what range he should be in.

If face contact was not allowed, then the issue may have been that he was getting his core techniques in, but pulled them to not break the rules.

As for the way he delt with the kicks, I have fought Kickers before, especially in my mid 20's. I Never took a step back after I was hit. I allways advanced, preferably BEFORE I was hit while they were still generating power.

I allways prefer to close the gap fast and take balance asap, then I start to fight. It seems the Drunken Boxer had plenty of oppertunity to do so, but just ignored the openings.

Royal Dragon
02-02-2005, 07:30 AM
Was grappeling not allowed? at one point the Karate guy executes a GREAT Ax kick, but the Drunken Boxer not only avoids it, but catches it and is in prime position to turn, and rip his foot off his ankle, and he just lets it go.

This is one of my favorite tactics, for all sorts of kicks. I would have probably dropped the guy on instinct and had to take the foul. Although I'm used to full rang sparring (When I did it)

Mr Punch
02-02-2005, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by The Willow Sword
seems like Mat has a bug up his A$$ about something.

put it to rest guy. its not impressing anyone.:rolleyes:

PEACE,,TWS WTF was that about?

It's called having a discussion. You take a few points some people made and you talk about them... agreeing or disagreeing.
Try it.

Why the hell would I need to impress anyone here, AND why the hell would anyone read my post and think I was trying to impress anyone? Grow up.
RD
Was grappeling not allowed? at one point the Karate guy executes a GREAT Ax kick, but the Drunken Boxer not only avoids it, but catches it and is in prime position to turn, and rip his foot off his ankle, and he just lets it go.

This is one of my favorite tactics, for all sorts of kicks. I would have probably dropped the guy on instinct and had to take the foul. Although I'm used to full rang sparring (When I did it)No grappling isn't allowed in regular kyokushin rules (which the beginning of this said they were using) and there were any number of moves to do from that position.

I don't think they're allowed to sweep either, though you can follow through froma a low kick. This would explain why the useless (1st) guy didn't really try to do that sweep whole-heartedly. I'm not excusing him, he was useless, and he got owned, but I still think the second guy was halfway decent, or would have been if he wasn't even skinnier than me!

red5angel
02-02-2005, 08:35 AM
Mat, not sure what video you watched but I just watched it again and here's what I saw:

the kyokushin guy tossed a lot of kicks that landed strongly to the head of the drunken style guy. The drunken style guy threw roughly 10-15 "punches" none of which expressed any real power in my opinion. He managed to conncet three times that I saw, and none of those shots were solid. At one point at the end of the video they even slow down a shot he took that the kyokushin guy blocked pretty much effortlessly. The only thing that second guy showed was that he could stumble around, appearing slightly drunk, could take serious shots to the face and not fall down, and was a good sport about the fac that he got his ass handed to him.

Apparently there had to be some no takedown rules as well because a couple of times thos drunken style guys had some good holds on legs but did't do anything with them.

The third fight a whole lot of nothing happened. Both fighters seemed to be about on par, although the DS guy seemed to take a more practical approach to fighting, he still lacked any sort of commitment in his shots.

I don't know if it says something about the style, or just something about the way these guys trained but they just didn't seem to be able to generate any power in their attacks, almost like they weren't used to following through. On top of that they just didn't seem to be able to find the range very well, their shots were for the most part, too far away.

The Willow Sword
02-02-2005, 08:48 AM
I don't know what planet some of you peopple are from.

not a great way to start a mature "discussion" so WTH was THAT all about eh?

I thought the second guy did a hell of a lot better than most of you would

yet another great way to make people here really give a sh!t what you are saying eh?

but any of you dimwits claiming this as ultimate superiority of kyokushin over kungfu need to do more full contact sparring.
gee now i am really givng a sh!t about what you have to say now:rolleyes:

and in general your average Japanese person knows approx 758693 times less about kung fu than even members of KFM...!

and you end your "disussion" with another passive insult. do you have ANY integrity? guess not. :rolleyes:

Peace,,TWS

Starchaser107
02-02-2005, 09:08 AM
neither the kyukushin fighters nor the drunken fighters impressed me, although the kyokushin were obviously the dominant ones. The drunken men were not really good fighters at all, they suck.
In all fairness though, I don't think it's a real representation of drunk boxing, but on the flipside the karate men could have been holding back.
These people were playing hard and not fighting.

red5angel
02-02-2005, 09:17 AM
neither the kyukushin fighters nor the drunken fighters impressed me,

agreed. The kyokushin guys weren't bad but I'd have to see another demo to be sure.

The drunken men were not really good fighters at all, they suck.

agreed, too many bad habits were consistant throughout all of them. It's either a sign of their school or the style.

In all fairness though, I don't think it's a real representation of drunk boxing

What would be a good representation of good drunken style? I have only one contention with that idea, and that is that any art should be somewhat adaptable to any format.

These people were playing hard and not fighting.

agreed.

rogue
02-02-2005, 09:43 AM
The karateka were sparring and holding back. It was a friendly exibition.
Mat, did the commentary say whyt the kung fu fighers were there for?

ShaolinTiger00
02-02-2005, 10:23 AM
The karateka were sparring and holding back.

Clearly.

The Willow Sword
02-02-2005, 10:45 AM
What would be a good representation of good drunken style?

in practical application red5, i could show you. in sparring i think i could pull off some decent stuff. but i am no drunken "stylist" persay. i just go on what i was taught early on in my private lessons pre-sd.

Peace,,TWS

Starchaser107
02-02-2005, 11:16 AM
isn't there an 8 immortals drunken boxer guy that posts here?

Strangler
02-02-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by The Willow Sword
yes yes you MUST actually be DRUNK in order for the drunken style to work. :rolleyes:

in all seriousness,,all drunken style is,,is a way to recieve punishment and pain. yeah thats it,,,,,,its my "excuse for everything" as ST says :rolleyes:

Peace,,TWS

Well I would be willing to guess than ocne your drunk you have less fear to commit your attacks (like the first guy who bnacked off alot and who did a half assed sweep). Also while your drunk your less tense and don't feel as much pain. And thee guys train while drunk and while trying to steal cups filled with wine from each other so they can handle the intoxication well.

Strangler
02-02-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Kristoffer
Strangler -

Is there any bigger versions of this video? You always post great vids but their always so small

If I find it I'll let you know.

The Willow Sword
02-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Well I would be willing to guess than ocne your drunk you ahve less fear to commit your attacks (like the first guy who bnacked off alot and who did a half assed sweep). Also while your drunk your less tense and don't feel as much pain. ANd thee guys train while drunk and while trying to steal cups filled with wine from each other so they can handle the intoxication well.

one of the lessons i have learned about drunken style is that you are definately SOBER,,through and through. in order to do some of those moves and mainatin control you MUST be sober,,other wise you are fumbling about and not in control and you will get your a$$ handed to you( a drunken stylist only feigns being drunk). Now in the case of these vids and "going through the motions" as these practitioners did,,they were sober and they also had thier a$$ handed to them,,but not because they were drunk or stupid but because they 1. did not commit their attacks and 2. and this is my opinion,,that these are beginners still learning forms and havent really applied what they have learned to anything other than acting out the movements.

it is also my opinion, Strangler, that your last sentence in this quote is what we all have seen in the movies or read of in the embellished stories. now mind you i am not an expert on drunken,,but what iwas taught pre-sd,,was very valuable and i remember it to this day. i just have never really used it for anything other than to play around,,,,,however this thread has actually inspired me to go through again some of the things i was taught.

Peace,,TWS

Strangler
02-02-2005, 02:49 PM
A guy called Jon (I think he used to post here as well) said that was a training method on dragonslist.

Kristoffer
02-03-2005, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by Strangler
If I find it I'll let you know.

Thank's

And about the clip, I think it was pretty interesting that these ppl tryed to fight like that. It's obvious they would need alot more experience to make that work for them. The Kyokushin-kai guys had all pretty clear techs, pretty solid kicks even though they were holding back. Most KK guys does

red5angel
02-03-2005, 08:18 AM
I've never heard anyone who practices or works with Drunken Styles claim that you actually have to be drunk ot do it properly :rolleyes:
As a matter of fact one of the creation stories I remember hearing had to do with someone recognizing the random unpredictability of a drunk is what they were shooting for and not how to fight drunk.

I do know a guy in Colorado who studied drunken style boxing and one of his tests required he work through several forms with a glass of water in his hand. If he spilled a drop he failed. True story.