PDA

View Full Version : damm that sounds like a harsh punishment

Strangler
02-01-2005, 03:54 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/01/28/internet.attack.ap/index.html

David Jamieson
02-01-2005, 04:14 PM
"(The Internet) has created a dark hole, a dungeon if you will, for people who have mental illnesses or people who are lonely," U.S. District Judge Marsha Pechman said. "I didn't see any parent standing there saying, 'It's not a healthy thing to lock yourself in a room and create your own reality."'

That is kind of a weird statement in context to the case. Sounds like a luddite to me! :p

Is it a mental illness that allows you to understand problem solving and logic?(a requirement to write code and script).

Or is there just a fine line between genius and insanity?

Let's not forget the great minds that gave us atomic bombs!

Anyway, the kid got a year and a half and it will maybe serve as a deterent for all the kiddy scripters out there or possibly virus writers to begin with.

joedoe
02-01-2005, 04:49 PM
When you consider the cost (both in dollar terms and in angst) that worm incurred across the globe, it is far from a harsh sentence.

Shaolinlueb
02-01-2005, 07:03 PM
always blaming the parents.... wait i guess thats okay. but still you do the crime, you do the time. i dont feel bad at all. joke or not, it did cost millions.

sean_stonehart
02-01-2005, 07:27 PM
Hey... I didn't see any restrictions listed by CNN about his not being able to use computers, cell phone, PDAs, etc... during this period.

He's gonna go away to prison that's probably not much more restrictive than Martha Stewart's & walk scott free after that. Blame the 'rents... write a book... do a movie... plus probably get a nice job when he's out by a security firm or something similar for being a ****tard. Screw that... :mad:

Hell the Isrealis hired a kid that launched an attack on the US a couple of years back... :rolleyes:

Jhapa
02-03-2005, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
always blaming the parents.... wait i guess thats okay. but still you do the crime, you do the time. i dont feel bad at all. joke or not, it did cost millions.

May be they should blame the movies too, they have movies out that hack into other computers. they are so quick to blame others. the kid thought it was funny at the time and caused great damage and now he's got to do the time. i don't think the punishment is long enough. but maybe it will make future hackers think twice before unleashing their new virus. he's lucky that he is not in a country like China, they probably would have executed him (they executed few business execs. for fraud).

Shaolinlueb
02-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Jhapa
May be they should blame the movies too, they have movies out that hack into other computers. they are so quick to blame others. the kid thought it was funny at the time and caused great damage and now he's got to do the time. i don't think the punishment is long enough. but maybe it will make future hackers think twice before unleashing their new virus. he's lucky that he is not in a country like China, they probably would have executed him (they executed few business execs. for fraud).

:werd: cause those execs pulled an enron type scandal. do you see crime in china? not really. nothing wrong with harsh punishment and making people live in fear of the consequences. i think us should stop being pussies with these murderers and such but noo. we have to be humanitarian, those murderers werent very humane when they kill people. :rolleyes: end rant.