PDA

View Full Version : Remedies for Snoring?

Chizica
02-02-2005, 05:00 AM
Does anybody have any good remedies, other than the obvious ones such as Snore Stop...etc, that can help quell snoring. My wife is on the brink of murdering me.
Any help is appreciated.

Mo Lung
02-02-2005, 05:52 AM
Well, there was this couple in England and they tried everything, then eventually the wife suggested that the husband put one of her tampons up each nostril. But don't try that, because he asphyxiated and died.

SanSoo Student
02-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Breathe through your mouth...or else :rolleyes:

red5angel
02-02-2005, 07:47 AM
are you overweight? Often times this has a lot to do with snoring. I've never heard of a cure all for snoring, some people find working on sleeping on their sides or stomach helps, others use various products with differeng levels of effect.

Chizica
02-02-2005, 08:07 AM
I'm not overweight. I'm about 5'6" and weight 148lbs. I don't smoke either. I think the problem has something to do with my sinuses.

I just wanted to know if anybody'd run across a good Chinese herbal remedy that has worked.

Chief Fox
02-02-2005, 08:43 AM
What about those breath right strips?

Chizica
02-02-2005, 08:56 AM
Tried the strips, sleeping on my side, sleeping without a pillow....you name it. Surgery is the only option Ihaven't done yet.

Ming Yue
02-02-2005, 10:12 AM
ear plugs.

seriously, the little foam ones work wonders. Also if she goes to sleep first she's more likely to sleep through it.

fa_jing
02-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Do you stop breathing when you sleep? Wake up gasping for air?

Chizica
02-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Nope, never wake up gasping or short of breath. So i don't think it's a case of sleep apnea.

mickey
02-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Chizica,

I have this problem. It is so bad it wakes me up. The funny thing is that the vibrations from the snoring sometimes tranmute into words, sound effects or music inside my dreams. This morning, I woke up to the beginning of Dizzy Gillespie's "Perdido" and it was all from the way the sound of the snoring was picked up by my brain.

I will be using a Neti Pot tonight. This is also known as a narial nasal cleanser. Serious yogis use this to help facillitate their pranayama practice. It involves filling the pot with a saline solution and then pouring it into one nostril and letting it drip out the other nostril. It is then reversed for the other nostril. It is also good to follow this with a warm to hot shower. The steam from the shower helps loosen the mucous in the sinus cavity (yes, you spit it out unless you like salted flem); you may also want to take longer shower times for this reason. While using the pot you will be holding your head sideways and breathing out of your mouth. It takes some getting used to. For starters you may want to do this once a week. In time, you may want to do this once or twice a month; or, whenever you start snoring again.

http://www.bytheplanet.com/Products/Yoga/neti/Netipot.htm

http://www.nasalcups.com/

Let us know how you fare.

Good Luck,

mickey

P.S.: You may also need to do the folowing:

-Reduce allergen levels in the house

-Get a humidifier

-Stay away from mucous stimulating foods such as dairy products.

Chizica
02-03-2005, 05:11 AM
Thanks for the links. This is something I'll seriously look into. At this point I'll try pretty much any remedy to stop the problem. Has it helped you out alot?

AndyM
02-03-2005, 06:10 AM
Hi Chizica,
a problem close to my heart this.

My problems began when I blocked a monster sidekick with my face about ten years ago.
I've still no solution, but I did have the operation.

The conk doctor reckoned the broken nose cartilidge was concave on one side, convex on the other, making a resonant chamber, so his solution was to cut a slice out of the middle and splint it straight, then take a red hot needle and burn nice big air passages.
Little bugger must have been standing on my face, cos he actually moved one of my front teeth during the op.

The worst bit is getting the packing out though.
Imagine your smashed, raw, bloody, tender proboscis with a foot long tampon rammed up each nostril, then someone coming round and slowly pulling them out.
It didn't work.

Tell the missus to wear earplugs.

Chizica
02-03-2005, 09:56 AM
I didn't have anybody smack my face, but ****, that sounded like a painful procedure. All the same, I'll try Mickey suggestions first.

Earplugs for the wife second.

Pillow over her head as a last resort

Royal Dragon
02-03-2005, 12:52 PM
I snore so bad at times Really, sometimes I am fine, other times I can keep the whole house up.

I have found that when i snore the loudest, I sleep the best. To me the sound is comforting, and I am lulled inot the deepest sleep I can imagine. Of course no one else thinks that.

I have found that taking a decongestant, or anything for a stuffy nose helps to quiet it when I'm really bad.

mickey
02-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Hello Chizica,

I did the cleansing last night and slept really well. No snoring to wake up to. It really has helped me a great deal.

I originally purchased my cleanser to deal with infected sinuses. The relief from snoring was a welcomed secondary effect.

Though I have never tried it, I think a WaterPik may work as well (just in case you might have one in a closet somewhere).

One more thing, after using the cleanser bend forward and blow your nose (face parallel to the floor). Once you start loosening the mucus in your sinuses you will see your sinuses discharging more than just mucous, you will see hair and particles that have gotten into your sinus cavity and just stayed there-- for years!

Please get back to us with your experiences.

mickey

Chizica
02-04-2005, 06:51 AM
I'm going to stop by my local Walgreens tonight and pick up a SinuCleanse system. It's 14.95, but I can't wait any longer. Between my snoring last night and my congestion today, I'm going crazy.

mickey
02-06-2005, 06:26 AM
??????

If you are having difficulties with this approach please detail what you are doing and I will assist.

mickey

mickey
02-06-2005, 06:27 AM
??????

It has been 2 nights.....

If you are having difficulties with this approach please detail what you are doing and I will assist.

mickey

Chizica
02-06-2005, 09:07 AM
Hey mickey,

I bought a SinuCleanse system from Walgreens and used it. The one side of my sinuses were so clogged up, that the solution wasn't going through. It was running right out of my nostril. I tried the other side and it still wasn't going through. It was going into the back of my throught. I did end up hacking alot of mucus and phlegm out of my sytem and have ben slowly clearing up. i will be trying the pot again today.

mickey
02-06-2005, 09:50 AM
Hi,

Give it more time to go through. Don't forget to breathe through your mouth; if you are not breathing you are getting a vacuum effect and the solution will not go in. Hold your head well sideways. The solution will slowly trickle through the other side. When you sinuses get better the outflow will equal the inflow. Sounds like it is working. Don't forget that you are dislodging what could be years of buildup. It is one thing to snore in stereo but quite another to breathe in stereo-- it is fantastic!

Keep working at it.

mickey

Chizica
02-07-2005, 04:57 AM
Over the past couple of days I have been severely congested. I have been using the cleaner for these few days and each time it seems I'm able to blow more junk out of my nose. Last night I don't think I snored at all. This is a good thing.

mickey
02-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Great!

Keep working at it.

mickey

Chizica
02-08-2005, 04:50 AM
Using the cleansing solution every othr day and it seems not only to help prevent the snoring, but I seem to be able to breathe better during the day. I do have some minor congestion left, but it is slowly disappearing. This thing is great. Here's the link if anybody's interested in it.

http://www.sinucleanse.com/

mickey
02-08-2005, 06:44 AM
Chizica,

If that pot is plastic, make sure that it is antibacterial. If not, you may want to buy a porcelain one in future.

Take care, I'm outta here,

mickey