PDA

View Full Version : Teep

Judge Pen
02-02-2005, 09:08 AM
I may be showing my ignorance here, but can someone explain to me the structural and functional difference between the teep and a front thrusting kick? The teep is terminology that I wasn't familiar with until frequenting these forums and I don't think I've completely grasped the differences, if any. Thanks.

Hua Lin Laoshi
02-02-2005, 09:19 AM
Same for me. I just figure it's a Thai word and wonder why we're using it instead of Chinese terminology.

I don't buy that a small change makes it a different kick.

red5angel
02-02-2005, 09:28 AM
I thought a "teep" was a low front thurst kick?

MasterKiller
02-02-2005, 09:34 AM
This is a teep:

http://belching.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bennythejet.gif

I'm sure I'll be corrected, but you lunge in with a teep and use the ball of the foot to make contact; whereas with a front kick you maintain your center and use the heel (at least I do).

red5angel
02-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Benny the Jet - AWESOME!

Judge Pen
02-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
This is a teep:

I'm sure I'll be corrected, but you lunge in with a teep and use the ball of the foot to make contact; whereas with a front kick you maintain your center and use the heel (at least I do).

That's what I was wondering, because I usually use the ball of my foot on a front thrust kick (sometimes the heel depending on distance, etc.), but heard someone here say there was a difference in the teep and a front thrust kick.

Hua Lin Laoshi
02-02-2005, 10:16 AM
As I thought.

And the word 'teep' comes from ...?

And the Chinese word for it is ...?

And we're (mostly) Chinese stylists on a Kung Fu forum ....

Actually this relates to another thread about whether Chinese stylists use the ball of the foot when kicking. Personally I've only seen it in Karate.

MasterKiller
02-02-2005, 10:25 AM
I believe it's a Thai word.

SevenStar
02-02-2005, 10:59 AM
This is a teep:

I would consider that more of a lunging front kick than a teep.

with the teep, there is no chamber - benny chambered. the leg keeps the natural bend it has when you bring it off the ground. Also, there is no lunge - the thrust comes from pushing the hips forward, similar to how you thrust your hips forward to throw a knee.

SevenStar
02-02-2005, 11:00 AM
I believe it's a Thai word.

correct.

SevenStar
02-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Hua Lin Laoshi
As I thought.

And the word 'teep' comes from ...?

And the Chinese word for it is ...?

And we're (mostly) Chinese stylists on a Kung Fu forum ....

Actually this relates to another thread about whether Chinese stylists use the ball of the foot when kicking. Personally I've only seen it in Karate.

the teep strikes with the ball. when I was training longfist, I was taught (as JP mentioned) to use either the heel or ball, depending on distance.

Judge Pen
02-02-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar

with the teep, there is no chamber - benny chambered. the leg keeps the natural bend it has when you bring it off the ground. Also, there is no lunge - the thrust comes from pushing the hips forward, similar to how you thrust your hips forward to throw a knee.

So then is the hip push is the main mechanism for power generation? It seems that a chamber (like Benny) would generate more power but in theory be slower. With the teep, it seems like it could be faster, but, in theory, generate less power and be more of a pushing/set up technique.

Water Dragon
02-02-2005, 11:47 AM
I don't know Judge, you can generate a lot of power and do a lot of damage by thrusting the hips forward. Just ask my ex-wife.

SevenStar
02-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
I don't know Judge, you can generate a lot of power and do a lot of damage by thrusting the hips forward. Just ask my ex-wife.

she told you about me?

Judge Pen
02-02-2005, 11:53 AM
LOL.

I didn't say you couldn't generate a lot of power with pushing the hips forward, I was just thinking you could generate more power with the chambered kick. I thrust my hips forward through my chambered front thrust kick as well.

Water Dragon
02-02-2005, 11:54 AM
she told you about me?

You mean about the time she had you bent over while she was working you with the 12 inch strap on? Yeah, I heard about that.

SevenStar
02-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Judge Pen
So then is the hip push is the main mechanism for power generation? It seems that a chamber (like Benny) would generate more power but in theory be slower. With the teep, it seems like it could be faster, but, in theory, generate less power and be more of a pushing/set up technique.

the cahber is frowned upon because while the leg is bent, the structure of that leg is weak. If you are chambered and I step in on you, it's easy to offbalance you. you are correct that reyling merely on the thrust can be weaker, but as WD said, you can get alot of power out of the teep. That, and realizing what it's used for. The teep is a probing kick - something like a jab. I use it to keep you at a distance. you step in, I teep. midsection open? I teep. It doesn't necessarily have to be powerful, it just has to keep you away.

However, when someone is rushing in on you and they run into it, it can be like impaling yourself on a stake...

Water Dragon
02-02-2005, 11:56 AM
I've been using it to set up my roundhouse lately. Nice chasing effect.

red5angel
02-02-2005, 11:58 AM
However, when someone is rushing in on you and they run into it, it can be like impaling yourself on a stake...

and according to WD above you have plenty of experience to know! :D

Judge Pen
02-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks. That's answered my question about the differences. Now I'm going to use it to unleash some furry in sparring class. :D

(See Water Dragon's sig)

Water Dragon
02-02-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
and according to WD above you have plenty of experience to know! :D

lol

SevenStar
02-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
I've been using it to set up my roundhouse lately. Nice chasing effect.

we've been drilling it on the thai pads recently.

FatherDog
02-02-2005, 01:00 PM

That's interesting - I was always taught to chamber my teeps. Definitely taught to push the hips (a la the long knee) rather than lunge, though.

FatherDog
02-02-2005, 01:02 PM
we've been drilling your wife on the thai pads recently.

****, WD, you gonna take that from him?

SevenStar
02-02-2005, 02:33 PM
:D

can't deny the truth... I keep trying to tell him that, but apparently drilling her is easier than trying to drill that into his head.

As for the teep - could be a stylistic difference, like pivoting on the base foot with the roundhouse.

ShaolinTiger00
02-02-2005, 02:40 PM
if I'm not mistaken, "teep" is just the thai word for any kind of thrusting kick (front kicks, and even side kicks!) so there can be all kinds of teeps. the range check, the "stomp" etc..

Water Dragon
02-02-2005, 02:41 PM
:D
I keep trying to tell him that, but apparently drilling her is easier than trying to drill that into his head.

Well, if you could speak more clearly. I understand it's hard with a big cock in your mouth all the time, but still...

ShaolinTiger00
02-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Ebomb!:eek:

Water Dragon
02-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Hey, I can't help it if he like to eat chicken.

Get it?

Cock

Chicken

Oh, nevermind

SanSoo Student
02-03-2005, 12:05 AM
Another variation I started using with my MT sparring partner is an automatic teep from a shin block; as the leg is already raised up you can lung a kick and use the heel of your foot vs the ball. I feel that has alittle more power, and its quick so I can setup for another kick after.

Eddie
02-03-2005, 01:28 AM
I have never really seen him in action, only heard of him, and saw pics in magazines. First clip I see of him now. Can any one tell me what type of tournament that was in the clip? Looks like a san da match with a thai fighter, but he was wearing those American kickboxing pants (not that it matters, just made me think it wasn’t a sanctioned san da or thai fight). Also looks like it was filmed a while back.

Benny seems pretty cool to me.

Eddie