PDA

View Full Version : how long for supplements to have effect?

Ming Yue
02-02-2005, 10:07 AM
I read somewhere that it takes 30 days of taking a vitamin or supplement for it to really have an effect. Have you guys experienced this to be true?

I've been taking 2000 mg of Glucosamine a day for the past 10 days and I can feel a difference but am wondering if it's just the power of suggestion.

TIA
Cynthia

IronFist
02-02-2005, 10:37 AM
I suppose it depends on the supplement and whether it's taken orally or intraveinously.

mickey
02-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Hello Ming Yue,

I have never heard of the 30 day thing. I am very sensitive so I can feel the effects of something very fast. When it comes to glucosamine sulfate, I can feel the difference the very next day. Besides sensitivity, other factors may be involved, such as one's present state of health (which has a host of subfactors).

Also the brand of supplement VERY important. Some do not provide what they are supposed to supply. Not to point fingers, one has to try to shop around. I would never by the store's brand regardless of the savings. I have never had a good experience with store brands of any supplement.

mickey

Akhilleus
02-02-2005, 07:07 PM
Back in high school, when I was putting on muscle very easily...I started taking powder creatine...I did a loading phase (which I have since read is not really necessary)...the results were almost immediate...I remember after about a week of creatine I was shocked to find that I was power cleaning what used to be my 1 rep max for like 5 reps...a couple months later were basketball tryouts and I never got tired running while the other guys lag behind...I attribute that to the creatine...

BTW I don't use creatine anymore because I don't know enough about it and am a little apprehensive...

EDIT: so as not to sound like an arrogant SOB I would like to point out that after tryouts the coach told me I could stay on the team but would be a bench warmer...so I decided not to play

Vash
02-02-2005, 08:47 PM
Glucosamine > Achy joints.

Never heard of the 30-day thing. but, what do I know?

IronFist
02-02-2005, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by mickey
I have never had a good experience with store brands of any supplement.

GNC's Megaman multivitamin is awesome. It's not cheap, though.

rubthebuddha
02-02-2005, 11:43 PM
i like vitamin world's ultra vit-a-man. it's the basis for the whole radioactive pee thing in the other thread. and it's not too spendy.

my -- from what did you read the 30-day thing? i think it depends on the nutrient, the body and its metabolism, the level of deficiency, etc.

everyone i know who takes zinc upon feeling sick gets over it quicker than the rest. even just taking it once or twice at the onset of an illness seems to be like adding tanks to your side in a previously infantry-only battle.

Ming Yue
02-03-2005, 08:31 AM
I can't remember exactly where I saw that - almost certainly on a website. I took it with a grain of salt, but wanted to get the collective KFM opinion.

I can definitely notice a difference after a little over a week now on the liquid glucosamine. My knees are much less noisy and I have no pain.

In regard to zinc, my boyfriend swears by the stuff. I haven't had so much as a cold in a couple years, but I'll try it if I feel like I'm coming down with something.

thanks guys
:)

norther practitioner
02-03-2005, 09:18 AM
It really depends.

It is scary how little some people absorb of these supps. really, really scary about how much money they literally poop out. this place (http://www.vitaganza.com/) has always seemed to be decent to me though.

Oso
02-03-2005, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
GNC's Megaman multivitamin is awesome. It's not cheap, though.

I'll second that one. I've never 'felt' the effects of any MV except that one. Or rather, I felt the lack of something when the bottle ran out.

morbicid
02-05-2005, 09:24 PM
i believe that a supplement begins "Affecting" your body the moment you put it in your body. If you think about how the body works, and how sensitive it's reaction can be to pretty much anything you introduce it to (allergic reactions, for example). Whether its affect is good or bad can be difficult to tell at first.

Chemically, however, I speculate that a supplement begins affecting things immidiately. Sort of like how alcohol goes to work on your body the moment you drink it, but it might take a a little while before you realize that you're intoxicated.

Maybe i'm making some sense... but I'm more likely to be just babbling.