PDA

View Full Version : Body integration

bodhitree
02-02-2005, 10:18 AM
Thoughts please.

imperialtaichi
02-02-2005, 04:22 PM
In my opinion....

Body integration is important for most of us. Of course, once you get to a certain level it becomes less important, a level very few of us would achieve.

Also in my opinion only, learning to integrate the body via external means is way too difficult. Imagine if one has to remember how all the joints has to work with each other, how the knees, spine, ankles line up, how the Jian Jin, Jia Ji, Lao Gong, Wei Lu, Yang Lin Quen, Cheng Shan, Kuen Lun, Yong Quen interacts etc.....

The easier way would be to learn to let the energy take over, and the body just flows according to the energy structure. This way, as soon as one wants to manipulate the force/Jing/Qi a certain way, the body would line up automatically and perfectly without any concious thoughts, leaving the mind free to deal with the opponent.

Cheers,
John

Anjentao
02-26-2005, 10:15 PM
In my opinion....

Body integration is important for most of us. Of course, once you get to a certain level it becomes less important, a level very few of us would achieve.

Also in my opinion only, learning to integrate the body via external means is way too difficult. Imagine if one has to remember how all the joints has to work with each other, how the knees, spine, ankles line up, how the Jian Jin, Jia Ji, Lao Gong, Wei Lu, Yang Lin Quen, Cheng Shan, Kuen Lun, Yong Quen interacts etc.....

The easier way would be to learn to let the energy take over, and the body just flows according to the energy structure. This way, as soon as one wants to manipulate the force/Jing/Qi a certain way, the body would line up automatically and perfectly without any concious thoughts, leaving the mind free to deal with the opponent.

John

I think John has valid points, but I don't believe that "letting the energy take over" is an option for a beginner. I think that all of the basic exercises have a goal of getting the beginner to even grasp the very concept of moving the body. Memorizing how the joints work together wouldn't be necessary. The exercises would dictate the connections in the body that have to work together naturally.

IMO getting the body to move is step one of body integration. Making room within the body and having flexibility allows for relaxation, strength building and stability or rooting. Step two. From there I think that development of body integration becomes a natural byproduct of this training. As you progress, your energy becomes more tangible, which is where I think John is starting his opinion from.

I think that integrating the body is very difficult and painstaking, meticulous study of the smallest movements is required to understand how everything is connected and how it should all move together.

Perhaps one of these days even I will get it right?!

My two cents...FWIW

Happy training!

qiphlow
03-04-2005, 04:13 PM
body integration is what it's all about! learn to use the body as one integrated whole--i.e. your strike uses the body's power, vs. just the arm's (or leg's) power.
begin your training this way, make an effort to use the body as one during all your movements, soon it becomes instinctive! CONNECTION.
eventually, naturally, the process happens: intent moves the mind, mind moves the qi, qi moves the body. difficult for some, not so difficult for others, like all things are. just work hard with the right teacher and you will see good result!