PDA

View Full Version : Jim Fung Wing Chun

straight blast
10-17-2001, 05:06 AM
Can anybody tell me about Grandmaster Jim Fung's Wing Chun? Has anybody trained with him? His lineage is: Yip Man-Tsui Seung Tin-Jim Fung. I know he's been training for 40 years. Any info would be appreciated :)

"Through strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail"

dedalus
10-17-2001, 08:31 AM
I've trained in Jim Fung's school in Adelaide, and I've also trained under his rival Felix Leung. There's a lott of guff between them, but in my opinion both are good schools. Felix's is smaller and more fighting orientated, which I liked better, but Jim's is still thorough and produces good results over time. Both have authentic lineages, though each will deny that of the other.

The main thing I don't like about Jim Fung's organisation is the fact that it has become just that - a national chain of wing chun franchises. You can even get a tertiary diploma from him! (And then open a Jim Fung school of your own, of course).

If you're considering learning Jim's system, yeah it is ok... but if you want to learn directly from him, good luck. My preference is for intensive, personalised instruction right from the outset, though I recognise that's rare in wing chun anywhere.

straight blast
10-17-2001, 01:03 PM
Yeah Dedalus I'm actually enrolled to do the tertiary course starting February 2002. I couldn't care less about opening a chain of schools but what I do like is that since it's Austudy covered I can train 20+ hours a week. And that's just the compulsory classes! You're welcome to attend as many as you wish. I wish to attend many :D :D
Plus I'm training on the Gold Coast, and Jim Fung comes up once every six weeks to train the tertiary (Certificate IV) classes. And on the Coast they train in small groups, each with it's own teacher. My instructor also cross trains with a world Muay Thai champ, so I'm pretty sure that the Gold Coast one at least has some focus on the fighting side of things. Thanks Dedalus for the info, much appreciated.
Train hard!! :cool:

"Through strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail"

dedalus
10-17-2001, 03:41 PM
I will concede that the paid training is a most enticing concept... and if you're getting the good stuff from Jim, all the better!

Hope it goes well for you ;)