PDA

View Full Version : The best kungfu instructor/master you trained under

Zaveesha
02-02-2005, 01:32 PM
Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of you had chance or maybe trains on regular basis with some of the best kungfu instructors/masters there are.
If yes who are they ( names please) ? What impressed you really in their skills? was it speed? or iron body conditioning or maybe something else ? please share your experiences.

I know David Ross aka lkfma trained Chan TaiSan ( BTW great thread about him here).
If I am not mistaken Mo Lung is from Sydney,Australia and trains Chen Family ChoyLeeFut - so maybe Mo Lund you train under Chen Yongfa ?if yes what impresses you in training with him?

I would be greatful if you guys could share your impressions on traing with kungfu greats.

I had chance to train under a few good masters both in CMA and other MA but the people who impressed me the most were in CMA Chen Yongfa ( I was on seminar with him ) - my impressions after several hours of trainig with him ? Not very big guy, very fast, accurate, great knowledge, very energetic, stroong voice for a small guy and very ,very humble.
Other great master I had chance to train under was Tair Narimanov - jujitsu expert from Moscow. Also great knowledge about MA in general, very, very technical, does grapppling and throws almost effortlessly, sparrs and competes evene though he pushes 40.Great guy.

I look forward to your answers

Zaveesha

Ray Pina
02-02-2005, 01:50 PM
Without a doubt Master David Bond Chan (http://www.chan-internal-martial-arts.com/)

I remember playing with one of his students (who was in his forties) who bested me quite easily. I could have thought he got lukcy. I could have thought he was faster. I new he was doing something better.

Upon meeting my master I chi saud with him and was simply flabergasted .... he does things I haven't seen done before. I know people will say, well, maybe you just trained with $hitty teachers. But I have to say, I've actually trained with some quite good teachers. Master Chan is different.

For those into lineage, his Ba Gua lineage couldn't be much better. His Tai Ji comes from Yang Lu Chan (studied with someone who's father studied under him but was only an inner door student, not the heir so doesn't advertise this) and his Hsing-I is pretty well known already. He is also known for his stick work. (http://www.chusaulei.com/martial/articles/articles_feilungfumun.html)

In the end though, my master's personality and system just fits me really well. I believe in it because I know it works. I feel the benefits everyday. I have grown a lot as a fighter (actually dare to enter the ring now) and as a person. I have recently discovered what "internal" really means and its fantastic. My mind is much more clear now and things seem very obvious.

That's about it. I highly recomend anyone passing through NYC pay him a visit. He's a very nice man and quite generous with his treasure.

joedoe
02-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Grandmaster Chee Kim Thong and his son. Undoubtedly two of the best martial artists I have ever had the pleasure to personally train with.

Judge Pen
02-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Other than my teachers in my style (whom I regard highly) I've had the opportunity to work with Jake Burroughs (mei hua tang lang), Jim Smyer (Pong Lai), and Chad Myers (hung sing choy lee fut).

Shaolinlueb
02-02-2005, 07:13 PM
i dont go around taking too many seminars and such. but i have trained with other teachers. i like my current sifu the best sifu lisandro vega, and my first sifu kevin ritter is a close 2nd.

Blacktiger
02-02-2005, 07:39 PM
For me the Master of our School: Master Liu De Ming (5th gen linage holder Liu He Zi Ran Men)

Also Grandmaster Liu Jing Ru who took some seminars in Australia on Liu He Praying Mantis, Bagua, Xing Yi. He was about 80 and he was just awsome.
Earlier this year we had his number one disciple out who was alot younger, Master Han. He was just like stone and it was fun to watch him show all the applications as you could tell this was all stuff he had used not just drilled.:)

SPJ
02-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Liu Jing Ru is the student of Dang Xiang Ling.

Dang Xiang Ling is classmate of Liu Yun Qiao.

Their teacher is Ding Tzi Cheng.

This is the linage of Liu He Tang Lang.

Liu Jing Ru also studied Cheng Ting Hua's Ba Gua.

Cheng is the best and favorite student of Dong Hai Zhuan.

You are lucky to meet Liu Jing Ru in person.

Most of my teachers were in the services, Army, police etc.

Vash
02-02-2005, 09:13 PM
Lessee . . .

ATA suxord.

Trained with a man by the name of Mike Green. Short dude. Obscenely powerful, exceptionally strong. Taught what he called tae kwon do mixed with street fighting. We worked out ina the warehouse of his employ, Bradshaw Supplies. Ended up, his son and I were the only children training. So, I sparred with several adults, and his son, who was both older and much more experienced/bigger/better than me.

Full contact stuff ('course, I was 11, 12 at the time, so I don't think the adults were busting my chops too hard - except for this one time, when i got kicked up against the wall [brick])/ I went home many a night with black eyes and ringing ears.
it's because of his teaching style that I can more fully explore my Isshinryu. He was, and is still, a guiding force in my training.

Current instructor in Isshinryu, Reece Sullivan. One bad hombre. Excellent fighter. Excellent person. I have a lot of love and respect for the man. He's done a lot to help me.

Without these two trainers, I wouldn't be jack squat.

I'd still be pretty, just wouldn't be able to fight.

Blacktiger
02-02-2005, 09:23 PM
Yeah he is known as much for his Bagua as he is the Mantis stuff. Our Master, Master Liu De Ming is good friends with the Grandmaster and when the school goes on tours in China the Grandmaster hosts us.
It was great to see the Grandmaster in action, my Sifu did a few drills with him and he said when he got hit it was like being hit with a hot knife.
On the flip side though his disciple Master Han was just like watching a young version of the Grandmaster, just amazing and he also taught the Bagua while out here.

:D

WanderingMonk
02-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Zaveesha
Hi guys,

I know David Ross aka lkfma trained Chan TaiSan ( BTW great thread about him here).

you might want to re-read it and fix this sentence.

Zaveesha
02-03-2005, 01:27 AM
hi,

I am sorry for the error - of course David Ross trained UNDER Chan TaiSan not vice versa (one word and the things look so much different:) )

I also sorry for calling Mo Lung -Mo Lund .

thanks for replies guys - maybe some more?

Buddy
02-03-2005, 06:40 AM
Luo Dexiu.

Mo Lung
02-03-2005, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Zaveesha

If I am not mistaken Mo Lung is from Sydney,Australia and trains Chen Family ChoyLeeFut - so maybe Mo Lund you train under Chen Yongfa ?if yes what impresses you in training with him?
You're not mistaken. My Sifu is simply the most effective, knowledgable and able martial artist I have ever known, and I've been training a long time with several different teachers. Master Chan is not only a great martial artist, but a great teacher and a great man. I'm very lucky indeed.

wiz cool c
02-03-2005, 10:18 AM
Frank Allen, best instructor I have had in 20 years of martial arts training.

Ultimatewingchun
02-03-2005, 03:31 PM
Grandmaster William Cheung (Traditional Wing Chun kung fu).

WinterPalm
02-03-2005, 06:26 PM
I bounced around until I met my current Black Tiger Sifu. This man is incredible and I am very lucky to have found someone of this calibur in a city practically void of kung fu. Save for maybe that dancing Wushu stuff.:D

I think this question could be ammended to add that maybe it is the practioner who is going to allow the teacher to teach them? We all here about great Sifus, but what about great students? I don't mean great as in the best or whatever, or even on a scale similar to the teacher, but who here has given all they can with their teacher? I think that means more than all the fancy names and titles. A student, such as myself, must be able to train, and to learn and to grow as a person or else they cannot keep up with the teacher and they will stagnate. This, I think, is harder than finding a great teacher: one must become a great student in order to reap any benefits of a great teacher. And we all know of the high standards of Kung Fu teachers and these must be maintained if the art is to be passed on, most of us won't be here in twenty or thirty years. But hopefully some will and they will continue the martial art tradition and the treasures of the past will be maintained.:)

joedoe
02-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by WinterPalm
I bounced around until I met my current Black Tiger Sifu. This man is incredible and I am very lucky to have found someone of this calibur in a city practically void of kung fu. Save for maybe that dancing Wushu stuff.:D

I think this question could be ammended to add that maybe it is the practioner who is going to allow the teacher to teach them? We all here about great Sifus, but what about great students? I don't mean great as in the best or whatever, or even on a scale similar to the teacher, but who here has given all they can with their teacher? I think that means more than all the fancy names and titles. A student, such as myself, must be able to train, and to learn and to grow as a person or else they cannot keep up with the teacher and they will stagnate. This, I think, is harder than finding a great teacher: one must become a great student in order to reap any benefits of a great teacher. And we all know of the high standards of Kung Fu teachers and these must be maintained if the art is to be passed on, most of us won't be here in twenty or thirty years. But hopefully some will and they will continue the martial art tradition and the treasures of the past will be maintained.:)

But the great masters were great students once themselves. In fact, they proved to be the greatest students and that is why they are great masters :)

Blacktiger
02-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Word, I think we missed the point there on that last one, I think we take the great student bit as granted:D

yu shan
02-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Chan Pui & Shr ZhengZhong

Hey JP, it was great to train with you, I appreciated the opportunity!

MasterKiller
02-04-2005, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Shiva
Olaf Simon Fu-Pow, you're such a tard. First you try to use Shaolin-Do taiji clips on EF as clips of you, now your trolling here as Temple Kung Fu?

Judge Pen
02-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
Fu-Pow, you're such a tard. First you try to use Shaolin-Do taiji clips on EF as clips of you, now your trolling here as Temple Kung Fu?

Have a link to that MK? Sounds like an interesting thread.

MasterKiller
02-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Judge Pen
Have a link to that MK? Sounds like an interesting thread. http://www.emptyflower.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=Xing;action=display;num=1106536576; start=284

He goes by his Chingrish name over there, Ai Lek Ou Seun.

MasterKiller
02-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Check out where he get's spanked around here:

http://www.emptyflower.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=done;action=display;num=1106668144

No one takes this guy seriously. Except, maybe, his other 10 personalities.

norther practitioner
02-04-2005, 12:44 PM
lets see how many deleted threads and locked ones you guys can conger up.

MasterKiller
02-04-2005, 12:44 PM
The link doesn't work **** for brains.

Hope you and your lover Fool-Pow, I Lick Old Son or whatever his name is, work things out. I'll come to the wedding.

You ****wad. Page 19 of the Training Pic and Vid Post Thread (on page 2 of the main forum).

http://www.emptyflower.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=Xing;action=display;num=1106536576

MasterKiller
02-04-2005, 12:47 PM
And apparently you do too Nancy..... I really love it when a guy who didn't know what a sprawl was until a couple of weeks ago thinks he has a complete fighting system.

Zaveesha
02-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Masterkiller,

with all due respect - do not change the subject it was running good.

Once again - the best teacher you had/have and what impressed you in him the most .

Skarbromantis
02-04-2005, 01:54 PM
My current Sifu.. Master Chow Chi Fung aka Philipman Chow... 70+ and still strong.

www.martialartmantis.com (http://www.martialartmantis.com)

I've never met a teacher with so much knowlege, I'm blessed.

Post# 500 !!!!!! (I dont know if that is good or bad)

WinterPalm
02-04-2005, 04:33 PM
I am not meaning this in any way to indicate that I feel as a student that I am great. That is not what I intended to state. However, the saying that I've heard my Sifu say is that it is hard to find a good teacher but even harder to find a good student. Since I've found a great teacher, I find that the statement could be altered to add that it is hard to find a good teacher, and even harder to be a good student. That is my take on it from where I stand.

Mo Lung
02-04-2005, 06:46 PM
This talk of being a good student is very relevant. Every single class I have with my Sifu his ability and knowledge make me feel like a beginner, time and time again. Every class I strive to take in 10% of what's he trying to teach us. I do my best every single time, but I'm a still not a great student. I'd love to be a better student.

However, I think it's pretty universal that any great teacher will recognise a student that is trying as hard as they can to learn, and training and practicing outside of class too. Then they will try to give all their greatness over time.

I sure hope this is so anyway! ;)

themeecer
02-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Master Bob Green.

Shaolin Master
02-05-2005, 04:58 AM
I would like to name 3

Wang Li Sheng (Dai Shi Xin Yi Quan, student of the late Wang Ying Hai): Ability to express energic concepts and control power at will and with simplicity remains forever.

Zhou Yu Yang (From Hebei, master of Chuojiao, Tongbei, Bajiquan and Bapanzhang): until he was 80 he moved like the wind and imparted so much knowledge that I would spend a lifetime continuing to digest and provide the inspiration to appreciate the efficient martial arts of Hebei.

Mao Yi Min (From Nanchang, master of Yingmenquan (Yuejia Quan) and Zimenquan) : the greatest skills in neautralising ever felt and thank for Wubaiqian.

Regards
Wuchanlong.

Mika
04-11-2005, 01:59 PM
The best teacher I have ever encountered is Shifu Slawomir Milczarek. Hands down he is the best I have trained under. Not only that, he has produced more proficient fighters than any other teacher I know. That is a true measure of one's teaching skills. Those Polish Tang Lang fighters mean business, let me tell ya... :cool:

Now that isn't all. Shifu Milczarek is also a very, very humble man. He has a great sense of humor, is very patient and understanding. All qualities of a great teacher.

Last but not least, from Shifu and the Polish brothers and sisters I have learned about Wu De through actions, not just words. I feel very lucky to be affiliated with these men and women.

Cheers :)

//mika

mortal
04-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Sifu Jose Grados

chessman71
04-12-2005, 01:43 AM
The best, most powerful martial artist I've ever studied under was Luo De Xiu here in Taipei. He has amazing abilities at so many levels that it's not even funny.

The best instructor (as far as teaching goes) that I've ever studied under was either Sifu Desmond Jackson, who teaches choy lay fut in Gainesville, Fla., or James Yeh, my current hongquan (Taiwanese hung gar) teacher.

Sifu Jackson has the fastest moves and most supple body skills I have ever seen. He also made me spar with him for an hour a day for most of the three years I was with him. Talk about foundation training! His website is here http://www.gainesvilledojo.net/kungfu.html and if you're in the area you should check him out.

James Yeh teaches Taiwanese hong quan, a little known system outside of Taiwan that combines southern material with northern body mechanics. He has a MS in exercise science so his ability to explain and teach from different angles is amazing.

Having studied from these great teachers I would advise others to study with the best teachers available, regardless of what style they do. You won't be sorry!

Dave C.

ghost5
04-12-2005, 03:46 AM
My first teacher Master Kong. He taught TKD but how he taught has stayed with my for 30 years.

Sifu Jimmy Tarpley is now who I am training under. Skilled and scary on the sparring floor but a more humble man would be hard to find.

SimonM
04-12-2005, 07:52 PM
My Sifu Paul Chau.

He's around 150 lbs, I am 250 lbs. One time during a jiu jitsu class (he teaches this too) we were doing drills to escape from cross body (and to maintain cross body) now the last time I had done a drill like this with that much of a weight differential I just lifted the person off of me and rolled out from underneath. Not so with my sifu, despite the fact that he IS light he managed to make himself just kind of stuck in place and no matter how much I manouevered he always just remained right in a perfect cross body position.

He's also briliantly fast, hits like a truck and has an almost encyclopedic knowlege of martial arts.

Actually the most impressive Iron Body technique I have seen in person wasn't performed by an instructor at all but by my younger brother. I broke a cedar tree across his ribs (yes a cedar tree - it wasn't a huge cedar tree, the trunk had about a 2-2.5 inch diameter, but it still was a cedar tree - not a branch or something) and he didn't even get a bruise, he didn't even flinch.

g0pher
04-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Everyone was (and is) going to say their own teacher is the best. What does the best mean? It means nothing.

Gangsterfist
04-13-2005, 11:41 AM
Randy Li- Ving Tsun, Yang Taiji
Taika Oyata - ryukyu kempo
Augustine Fong - Ving Tsun
Greg Linguist - Ryukyu Kempo
Mikey and ben (two guys I just started training with, they are awesome but I won't post their lasts names since I don't have their permission) - 6 elbows/tai hui

And others that are probably less known.

SimonM
04-13-2005, 07:14 PM
Everyone was (and is) going to say their own teacher is the best. What does the best mean? It means nothing.

Yes but you see I have had several different instructors over the course of my life. I ended up with the best of them. There is a reason for that. ;) :D

ZIM
04-13-2005, 07:46 PM
Bobby Ray Taggert, Master of the Four-Way Tire Iron

And Billy Blanks, of course. :p

Xin Yi Liu He
07-13-2008, 09:41 PM
I would like to name 3

Wang Li Sheng (Dai Shi Xin Yi Quan, student of the late Wang Ying Hai): Ability to express energic concepts and control power at will and with simplicity remains forever.

Zhou Yu Yang (From Hebei, master of Chuojiao, Tongbei, Bajiquan and Bapanzhang): until he was 80 he moved like the wind and imparted so much knowledge that I would spend a lifetime continuing to digest and provide the inspiration to appreciate the efficient martial arts of Hebei.

Mao Yi Min (From Nanchang, master of Yingmenquan (Yuejia Quan) and Zimenquan) : the greatest skills in neautralising ever felt and thank for Wubaiqian.

Regards
Wuchanlong.

Nephy,

I would really like to know who you studied Dai Shi Xin Yi Quan under as I myself are 7th generation under, Yan Long Chang. I know you are familiar with my teacher as my classmate Evan knows you from when he was staying in Australia.

I have not heard of your teacher and also the information you provided regarding, Wang Yin Hai was incorrect, Wang is not dead, he is still alive. I met with him around 2 years ago in Qi Xian/Shanxi.

Jon Dyer (aka Dai Zhi Qiang)

Xin Yi Liu He
07-13-2008, 10:03 PM
I would like to name 3

Regards
Wuchanlong.

This Bapanzhang practitioner you mentioned I have asked about around him and so far no one has heard of him. Who was his teacher and his teachers teacher?

I know Ren Wen Zhu and also met with a host of other Bapanzhang teachers in Hebei.

Thanks

Jay

Laukarbo
07-13-2008, 11:26 PM
my Sifu,Mark Houghton...

before he became my sifu I already learned under several chinese sifus..

but it was through Mark Houghton where i made a big,big progress
The way he teaches is not everyones cup of tea cos its hardcore so u can say its a personal thing...
one needs a mr myagi that feeds u allday fortune cookie phrases to develop and another one needs the "lets cut the crap just do it"
sort of teacher to develop...

I know a few good teacher here in Manila Chinatown,they are in their late 40s or 50s and are strong as hell ...most of them are ngo cho kun practicioners

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-13-2008, 11:35 PM
The best Kung Fu teacher i ever personally met was Wai Lun Choi. I never got to train with him though, but if life would stop getting in the way, I definitely would.

I was able to spend some time learning foundational material from one of his old students though, and the material was fantastic stuff to say the least.

I have to add Troy Walzak for Zha Baoo Taiji, and Joe Judt for Kuntao as well. Both are top notch teachers with great systems and even better skills.

htowndragon
07-14-2008, 12:25 AM
sifu david chin hop gar
sifu john wang shuai jiao
sifu eugene chou gbt bagua/lohan