PDA

View Full Version : Mar/April

norther practitioner
02-02-2005, 01:49 PM
The March and April edition is on news stands (well, at least the one I was at yesterday). Gene, come on now... who picked that shot for the cover?

Judge Pen
02-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Hmm. That means it will be in my mainbox in a couple of weeks.

BUT, we get to see the new ORA girl, Lianne Lin, and that makes me very happy!

mickey
02-02-2005, 04:00 PM
Gene,

Last night, I had put up a thread about how you guys kicked off your new "Got Wood?" campaign with the Leung Ting cover. I deleted it because I did not want to take BL's place on this forum.

Still, that is the funniest cover ever for any magazine.

mickey

GeneChing
02-02-2005, 05:28 PM
...and the cover shot was mostly the result of Design Sifu's input. Speaking of BL, she just called me. Some things just never leave well enough alone...:rolleyes:

mickey
02-02-2005, 06:36 PM
"...dirty minds" ??

Gene, you are way too harsh on a guy.

It's not like I said, "VASCONGESTIVE PRIAPISM." Nooo. I was so reserved. A gentleman. Yes, a gentleman. I can see your new line of T shirts now:

"Got VASCONGESTIVE PRIAPISM?" I'd buy the shirt.

So wounded, yet, so enterprising,

mickey

norther practitioner
02-03-2005, 03:54 PM
um, lol, I just thought it was funny, definitely caught my eye on the news stand.

I'm in the middle of a move, I'll prob. not get to read it for a while...

which sometimes is nice.

Shaolinlueb
02-04-2005, 10:42 AM
i hope the picture of leane lin is as good as this one (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=577158) :o ;)

GeneChing
02-04-2005, 05:38 PM
....when you see it, you'll understand why I say this. ;)

Judge Pen
02-07-2005, 06:53 AM
*runs to check mail.* Not there yet. *Visits Lianne's site in the meantime.*

GeneChing
02-07-2005, 10:58 AM
...I hoping y'all give us some comments on the content too.

Judge Pen
02-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Will do as soon as I can read the mag.

mickey
02-08-2005, 06:35 PM
Okay Gene,

What I liked:

-The articles on the martial arts development in Mainland China and Taiwan.

-The Tai Chi and Pop music article. I enjoyed seeing the subject on the back cover.

- The continuing success of Benny Meng.

-The advertisment that featured the "homeless" guy with the sign "Will break boards for food."

What I did not like:

The tons of advertisments from Martial arts Mart; almost Every other page. For a moment I thought Dave Cater was the editor (yikes!!!). Joe Weider's rags were never so jammed like that.

mickey

Judge Pen
02-09-2005, 07:47 AM
I liked the long pole article.

I like the old weapons featured. In fact I have a pair of hook swords that I bought off of e-bay that resemble the phoniex beak swords in the mag. How would I go about getting my hooks dated?

GeneChing
02-09-2005, 10:30 AM
m- Glad you liked that taiji pop article. That one was experimental. We had such a varied reaction to the Lou Reed story (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=318). But the bottom line was that issue sold out. And from a strictly journalistic standpoint, pop culture influence beyond the movies is always very interesting to us. Plus that ad campaign was huge. If you are in business, you couldn't have missed it.

The ads pay for the magazine. Always. If you don't like ads, don't read magazines. But I think you'll still find a better content-to-ad ratio in our magazine than most of the others. Do a page count. Our ads are just louder, coordinated with our copy (same graphic crew) so they feel like there are more. ;)

I'm glad you liked that homeless guy - he's the brother of Leslie, who works here at our CA Tiger Claw office. I've been having fun with that ad concept (this is just the second one) but it is really just an ad for more ads.

JP - As for dating, try get on Antiques Roadshow. SEriously, the only way is to find an expert.

Shaolinlueb
02-10-2005, 04:28 PM
yeah gene i havent gotten mine in the mail yet either.

Vash
02-10-2005, 08:07 PM
I got mine two days ago.

At first though, I didn't know what was going on with the cover - thought maybe, "The ill effects of Dragon Bone Qi Gong."

Seriously, that's fukcing hilarious.

Loved the JKD article, by the by. GOt a friend in Iraq right now, studies Isshinryu, is working with a JKD/Kali guy in his platoon.

Shaolinlueb
02-14-2005, 09:09 AM
that wing chun master guy on the cover scares me. he always has these weird faces whenever he does pictures and such. lol

GeneChing
02-14-2005, 05:59 PM
He loves to ham it up for the camera, but make no mistake, the man has some serious skills. I always feel a little sorry for the students he brings to the photoshoots, because he smacks them around something awful. GM Leung Ting is very fast, very powerful and very accurate. He's always a pleasure to work with, providing us with fully developed articles and plenty of good material - it's refreshing to work with someone who takes such a professional approach. Plus he's really funny to interview, always joking and playful, but serious when the time comes.

BTW, here's the Table of Contents and Cover Story (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=578) for the new issue. Sorry so late in posting, but we've had some other projects to deal with.

MasterKiller
02-15-2005, 08:51 AM
I didn't know the movie Eight Diagram Pole Fighter was based on a real legend about the Yang family.

Shaolinlueb
02-16-2005, 11:55 AM
yo, GM Leung Ting sounds like a funny guy. sounds nice.

SimonM
02-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Judge Pen
I liked the long pole article.

I also liked the long pole article and the Liq I Chuan article.

Three Harmonies
02-23-2005, 05:28 PM
Leung Tings long pole??!!! :p :p :p :p :p
Editor should have done a little better of a job with titles and what not! Sorry, could not resist! :D
Jake :)

GeneChing
02-24-2005, 11:19 AM
You guys are just fixated. ;)

Shaolinlueb
02-27-2005, 11:05 PM
You guys are just fixated. ;)

nooo. im not fixated on other guys longs poles. thats jsut gay.

i like fixating on boobs. :D

SimonM
02-28-2005, 08:06 PM
i like fixating on boobs. :D

So you are saying you would have rathered an article on golden mellon hammers? :p

Shaolinlueb
03-01-2005, 06:23 AM
So you are saying you would have rathered an article on golden mellon hammers? :p

matbe :o ;) :D

GeneChing
03-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Twin Golden Melon Hammers (http://store.martialartsmart.net/45-023.html) - I bet they'd be great with some nacho sauce...

GeneChing
03-02-2005, 05:09 PM
We have three of our articles for our Mar Apr 2005 issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=578) available for free online. We always post the cover story, but seldom the features. Due to some cross pormotion from our feature writers/subjects, we added two more to the site. Check it out (but still buy the magazine if you can ;) )

Shaolinlueb
03-03-2005, 09:31 AM
Twin Golden Melon Hammers (http://store.martialartsmart.net/45-023.html) - I bet they'd be great with some nacho sauce...

hmmmm. you bad bad man. :)

GeneChing
03-04-2005, 10:14 AM
...you understand my nacho metaphor. There's a whole backstory behind this. Next time I see you face-to-face, I'll have to share it with you. ;)

Shaolinlueb
03-04-2005, 10:32 AM
...you understand my nacho metaphor. There's a whole backstory behind this. Next time I see you face-to-face, I'll have to share it with you. ;)

okay. i will look forward to it. then again you are real busy when i see you face to face. oh ait were going out for drinks at the next lipeng tourny. :D

GeneChing
03-04-2005, 11:55 AM
Yah, that's the main reason I'd go - to cash in on your most kind offer to buy a round or eight... :D

Shaolinlueb
03-04-2005, 03:04 PM
8!!!!! only if you buy half. :D

GeneChing
03-04-2005, 06:38 PM
Be glad I didn't say eighteen. No worries, if we're eight beers into it each, we're both buying and them some. ;)

We can share the women
We can share the wine
We can share what we got of yours because we done shared all of mine

Shaolinlueb
03-07-2005, 11:50 AM
we can go 18! just dont expect me to have anything good to say other then. I should have stopped -insert number here- ago. :D

GeneChing
03-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Shouldn't this discussion be happening on the Lipeng tournament thread in the shaolin forum? ;) I need to email Lipeng and suggest to him that he set up the tournament in walking distance from a cheap hotel and a few nice bars...

Can we get back to the issue at hand?

Shaolinlueb
03-08-2005, 10:55 AM
yeah definetly. cheep hotel and bar. ;) :) wait what was the issue at hand? :D