PDA

View Full Version : luk dim boon gwun

mun hung
10-17-2001, 09:59 PM
What are the exact measurements and dimensions of the luk dim boon gwun?

Is there a certain weight or length that should be used for training? How about for fighting?

Should the pole be flexible or stiff?

Any recommended wood?

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!
;)

dzu
10-17-2001, 11:26 PM
Mun Hung,

The poles that I use are made of white wax wood. I believe this is a failry common material. To measure the pole, stretch out your arm above your head. The pole should be about this long so that it is more tailored to an individual's body. Look for a straight pole with no warping. The weather in your area may dictate that the pole be oiled to protect it from warping or cracking. I also use a much heavier pole for training. It is made of a hard wood and is fairly long (maybe 8-9 feet?). The waxwood pole has some natural flex to it (not as stiff as a hardwood, not as flexible as rattan). I bought mine at Brendan Lai's but you may be able to find it online or at a local MA supply store. The only problem with buying it online is that you can't examine the pole before hand.

Dzu

whippinghand
10-18-2001, 12:24 AM
Why choose one over the other?

Ish
10-18-2001, 01:27 AM
he didn't, he's got both

whippinghand
10-18-2001, 02:54 AM
An a particular day, why would you choose one to train with over another?

mun hung
10-18-2001, 11:10 AM
What kind of gwun do you use for training?

whippinghand
10-18-2001, 06:18 PM
Hard wood.

dzu
10-18-2001, 07:20 PM
I practice with the hard wood when I want a heftier pole to help train my body structure. The wax wood is much lighter and complements my body size better. I use this to train applications and more 'free' pole work. Sometimes I use push broom handles (the kind you can unscrew), short broom handles, pool cues, etc. My roomate has an ironwood jo that I sometimes use too.

I think white wax wood is just indigenous to southern China so from a traditional standpoint that was one of the materials that was used. Since we don't all live in China, I try to practice with a wide variety of materials and lengths.

Dzu

whippinghand
10-22-2001, 12:50 AM
Why would you not train application with the same pole that you would train "structure" with?

dzu
10-22-2001, 01:18 AM
I do practice applications with both. Different lengths, weights, and materials have their own unique feel. A 6' wax wood pole responds differently than a 9' hardwood pole. Sometimes I don't feel like going outside to use the longer pole.

Dzu

[This message was edited by dzu on 10-22-01 at 04:30 PM.]

whippinghand
10-22-2001, 02:18 AM
The waxwood pole you are referring to, is it that Wushu stick?

dzu
10-22-2001, 02:44 AM
I don't know what the Wu Shu guys use so I really couldn't tell you. Mine is about 1-1.5 inches in diameter at the butt end and maybe .75-1 inch in diameter at the tip.

http://www.wle.com//products/w005.html

I didn't buy mine here but it's probably similar. They do have a Light waxwood staff which only weighs 1.5 lbs. They mention that the light waxwood staff is used for Wu Shu, but mine is definitely heavier than 1.5 lbs. The weight of the regular waxwood is listed at 2.5 lbs. Maybe the Wu Shu one is just thinner.

Dzu

whippinghand
10-22-2001, 03:35 AM
"A 6' wax wood pole responds differently than a 9' hardwood pole"

What is the response of a waxwood vs. the response of a hardwood?

whippinghand
10-28-2001, 02:12 AM
anyone?