PDA

View Full Version : No Squat Rack - HELP

Neo
02-03-2005, 05:20 AM
Here's the problem, I don't have a squat rack, and have other financial priorities at the mo which means I can't simply go out and get one. Am I limited to hack squats for a heavy load/low rep knee dominant exercise? :confused:

I would be grateful for any suggestions until then...

Mo Lung
02-03-2005, 06:42 AM
Do you have a garage or something where you could build one?

Neo
02-03-2005, 07:11 AM
Yeah, the wife gets the fancy gym membership, I get the garage to myself:D

FngSaiYuk
02-03-2005, 08:52 AM
There's also the single leg squats...

I'm saving up for a power rack myself, here's what I'm making do with for full squats-

I have a dinky all-in-one bench and barbell support. I just load the weight on the barbell support, take the bench part out, get under the barbell and push up. With the weight on my shoulders I can walk forward a couple of steps, do a set of squats, then walk back and *CAREFULLY* put the weights back on the support.
Now I can't really max out on full squats this way since I need to really controll the barbell when replacing it back on the support, but at least I can get a lot more weight on the barbell than if I had to military press the barbell onto my shoulders AND I can almost max out on the one legged squats.

Pork Chop
02-03-2005, 09:18 AM
overhead squats and front squats
overheads don't need as much weight to cause much pain and anguish.

Chief Fox
02-03-2005, 10:28 AM
Here's a guy who made a whole freakin' gym out of wood and stuff.
http://tsampa.org/training/toffesgym/

You may be able to make a squat rack out of wood. It could be kind of sketchy getting it to work with out falling apart or hurting yourself but it could be done.

There also may be a way to may one out of pipes that you screw together.

A couple weeks of panhandling and you might be able to afford this one http://newyorkbarbells.tv/93132.html

Just some ideas. good luck.

FngSaiYuk
02-03-2005, 11:07 AM
The one I'm saving up for is similiar to this (http://store1.yimg.com/I/exercise_1829_8613630). It's at a local Dunhams for under $200. But right now it's budgetted to be bought after some protective sparring equipment. I need the works right now, full contact head gear, gloves, shinguards, mouthpiece and metal cup. So that's pushed off my rack purchase a bit.

fa_jing
02-03-2005, 11:51 AM
You can squat off sawhorses. You just have to start at the bottom.

IronFist
02-03-2005, 12:38 PM
You could do dumbell lunges.

rubthebuddha
02-03-2005, 03:10 PM
the wood gym is creative, but i'm not sure that a lying row (http://tsampa.org/training/toffesgym/lying_rows.jpg) is all that good for the twig and berries, particularly if you have your keys in your pocket.

regardless, the guy has the proper pants for the game, and that's all that really matters.

Neo
02-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the posts guys, I will read through what you've put so far and have a look. Thanks again...

Toby
02-03-2005, 05:49 PM
What about deadlift? Or Oly stuff?

IronFist
02-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Exactly what equipment do you have?

Ford Prefect
02-04-2005, 06:27 AM
Powerclean to front squat reps...

Neo
02-04-2005, 06:59 AM
Exactly what equipment do you have?

Standard Barbell / dumbbell set, plus a couple of 10kg plates, looking to get a couple more soon, basic bench press bench, curl bar, tricep bar, mutligym (primarily use the top and bottom cables, don't use the chest press/fly station any more)

as for deadlift, thought that was more of a hip dominant exercise, whereas squat is a knee dominant :confused:

overhead squats and front squats

Will these provide me with enough resistance for low rep work, in particular the overhead squat :confused:

fa_jing
02-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Clean & Front squat combo will be good for you. You can clean it once then do front squats for low reps.

Neo
02-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by FngSaiYuk
There's also the single leg squats...

I'm saving up for a power rack myself, here's what I'm making do with for full squats-

I have a dinky all-in-one bench and barbell support. I just load the weight on the barbell support, take the bench part out, get under the barbell and push up. With the weight on my shoulders I can walk forward a couple of steps, do a set of squats, then walk back and *CAREFULLY* put the weights back on the support.
Now I can't really max out on full squats this way since I need to really controll the barbell when replacing it back on the support, but at least I can get a lot more weight on the barbell than if I had to military press the barbell onto my shoulders AND I can almost max out on the one legged squats.

Hmmm. I have the same thing, dinky bench! I shall see if screwdriver can be applied LOL And of course, single leg squats...