PDA

View Full Version : Million Dollar Babe

Ray Pina
02-03-2005, 07:53 AM
Go see this movie!

MasterKiller
02-03-2005, 08:01 AM
It got good reviews. I hope Eastwood didn't sell out the ending like he did on Mystic River.

Judge Pen
02-03-2005, 08:05 AM
Haven't seen either movie yet. Eastwood's movies are a little to mushy for my tastes. I prefer "Fistfull of Dollars" and "Dirty Harry." I did like "Unforgiven" though.

MasterKiller
02-03-2005, 08:09 AM
Mystic River was awesome...until the last 10 minutes. SELL OUT!!!

count
02-03-2005, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
Mystic River was awesome...until the last 10 minutes. SELL OUT!!!
I don't see a sell out here. At least not as much as most Hollywood stories go. Did you miss something in the point?

The boxing scenes are worth the price of the ticket to Million Dollar Baby. Great acting and direction too. But if you don't like sentimental or sad movies (Judge's Pen), this is not for you.

Judge Pen
02-03-2005, 08:19 AM
I like sentimental and sad movies. I just have a hard time with Clint Eastwood, tough-man icon, making them.

MasterKiller
02-03-2005, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by count
I don't see a sell out here. At least not as much as most Hollywood stories go. Did you miss something in the point? The sell out was with Tim Robbins character. That whole bit about fighting off a guy who was hurting a kid...he was supposed to be the guy getting the bjs from little boys because he was so screwed up.

Mutant
02-03-2005, 10:03 AM
I've heard this is a great film, anxious to see it. Eastwood is one of my favorite directors.

I'm going to take my wife to go see it this weekend, as she'll really be able to relate to it. She's been training to get back in the ring to fight at Ross's next san da event this spring, but we just found out that she's pregnant :eek: and now she's been feeling tired & sick and she's still training some but can't do full contact, and her fight plans are all screwed up and she's frustrated but psyched about our new baby. It will definately effect both of our training schedules, but we're both very excited. :p

So yeah anyway, this movie will hit home big-time! :D

Judge Pen
02-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Congratulations on you're baby. The child of two kung fu practitioners? Kid will grow up training!

Mutant
02-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Thanks man. :)
Yeah, no joke. "bad baby; now go stand in your horse stance!" ;)

Ray Pina
02-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Congrats!!!!!!!

This movie may throw you for a loop though. Bring some tissues man.:)

MasterKiller
02-03-2005, 01:18 PM
E-Fist. PM me what you find out what her nickname means in Gaelic. I wanna know, but don't spoil it for everyone else.

Mutant
02-03-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by EvolutionFist
Congrats!!!!!!!

This movie may throw you for a loop though. Bring some tissues man.:)

Thanks E-fist! :)

Will take your advice on the tissues. I'd better bring two boxes cause i'll probably be cryin like a baby myself ;)

SPJ
02-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Love the movie overall.

How a waitress turned into a boxer.

There is a debate on the ending.

We all know that Christ Reeve (superman) had a accident from falling off a horseride. A similar dilema.

A handicapped person wanting to end.

Sometimes people only see what has been lost.

It is very difficult to focus what one may gain from life.

SPJ
02-03-2005, 07:15 PM
There are many stories or legends in the old CMA tales.

One arm Da Dao swordsman. He lost his fighting hand. He learned to use the other hand to fight as good.

The hunched back swordsman. He was injured in the back by bandits. He learned how to sweep his whole body close to the ground. He used sword to attack horse and bandits on the legs. He went low. He revenged.

There is a MA master. He was poisoned in his acupunture points. He is basically paralyzed neck down. He has to bathe in the herbs tub to stay alive. All his Qi is used to guard against the poison going into his heart and the brain.

He taught a student all he knows by words and writing with the mouth.

He gave his final Qi to his student and passed away.

On and on.

SPJ
02-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Bathoven composed the best piece of his music when he was completely deaf.

There is Christ Reeve research center, spinal injury, stem cells etc.

It is always easy to find a way to end it all.

It is sometimes very difficult to see the light on the other end of the tunnel.

There are plenty of reasons and causes to live for.

Jhapa
02-04-2005, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Judge Pen
"Fistfull of Dollars" and "Dirty Harry."

those were great movies. i liked eastwoods western movies.

mickey
02-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Thank you for the great review.

I actually stayed away from this movie because it looked like a ripoff of a documentary on Lucia Ryker titled Shadowboxers. The female in MBD appeared to be styled after Ryker.

Maybe I'll see it.

mickey

SPJ
02-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Love the movie.

Heck I like Clint Eastwood movies.

And yes, he played a little softy or gentle or more Yin in this movie.

But I wish Swank would believe in life as she did before turing into a pro boxer.

She believed that she could do it despite of the fact that being a girl and 30 years old.

Her birthday spending on hitting a speedball and no boyfriend?

Her mom disapproved and disbelieved.

Clint Eastwood supported her all the way to the very end.

He showed us the other side of him.

SPJ
02-07-2005, 11:43 AM
I read some legends about Sun Tzu or Sun Wu.

At later part of his life, he lost his favorite wife. She jumped into the river. She opposed fighting and also lost a son in the war.

Sun Wu walked away from Wu Guo. He did not want to fight anymore.

Since young, all his life is about studying and practicing fighting.

The King of Wu ordered him to stay put and continue his consul or a gift of a sword to end his life. So that he may not work for any other kings.

All the generals begged the King not to do this. Because if done, no other good talents will come and serve Wu.

Sun Wu walked away and retired in the countryside, fishing and thinking about Dao and life.

Sun Wu died in his heart with fighting. Because all the things he loved so much are gone. Or pieces of him are dead.

Tian Yi; the wife via arranged marriage accompanied him to the end.

SPJ
02-07-2005, 11:49 AM
My point is that we may be mentally, emotionally or physically deprived of something.

But the love of life or for life would make us overcome.

A life is a gift from our parents and GOD.

We should treasure them. Even a dying insect or animal may struggle to live. Let alone people.

Clint Eastwood had so much love for Swank.

----

Mutant
02-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Man did I ever have the wrong idea about this movie before i went to see it.... now i see my above post in this thread didnt make much sense in this context! :confused:

Tara and i went to see it, thinking all along that it was about a female boxer who got pregant while training for a big fight... the entire movie i was wondering who was going to knock her up, i was very confused. Tara had told me that was the plot based on what a nurse at harvard health had told her, she didnt tell tara the plot but said 'she had to see it because she would really relate to it', so between the fact the she's pregnant and the title, we went with a whole other idea of what was going to happen... boy were we confused ... that nurse is whacked.

Other than being utterly confused through most of it due to being thrown off by Tara's nurse's comments, i thought it was a great film for the most part. Depressing too, but a powerful message. The last part was hard to watch... But I LOVED the training and fight scenes!

GeneChing
03-01-2005, 03:19 PM
You can dress her like a boy. You can say she's from a trailer park. You can give her two oscars. But she'll always be the Next Karate Kid (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110657/) to me. ;)

Mo Lung
03-01-2005, 09:11 PM
Man, I'd forgotten all about that being her! CHeck out this from Gene's link:
Trivia: The fight choreographers gave Hilary Swank a "pink belt" during her pre-shooting training. No pink belt exists in Tang Soo Do (the choreographers' style of karate) but it is a combination of the highest belt possible before black (red) and the lowest (white). It was given to her for her mastery of the most flashy techniques, but none of the basics. :D

GeneChing
03-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Karate Kid had some fine women. Oscar quality. Not only Hilary, but who could forget Elizabeth Shue?

MasterKiller
03-03-2005, 09:04 AM
You don't make sense. The whole point was that he was innocent and Sean
Penn not only killed his friend, he killed an innocent guy and now he has to live with it.
We were led on to think he was a guilty perv when in fact he was only tormented by his past and struggling for sanity.
That was the whole point: that things aren't necessarily what they seem and acting on what they seem causes tragedy.
There was no sellout. The plot was carefully crafted and scripted as a whole.
I think you missed the idea of the tragedy.

I got it. I just think it was a crappy sell-out. It would have been much more provocative and realistic if Tim Robbins had molested other boys, given what happened to him at the beginning of the film. The ending ruined the whole movie for me and cost Eastwood an Oscar.

Judge Pen
03-03-2005, 09:13 AM
I got it. I just think it was a crappy sell-out. It would have been much more provocative and realistic if Tim Robbins had molested other boys, given what happened to him at the beginning of the film. The ending ruined the whole movie for me and cost Eastwood an Oscar.

Apparently he made up for it this year.

MasterKiller
03-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Apparently he made up for it this year.

The Oscars are fixed. Hollywood insiders talk about it all the time. They are notorious for awarding posthumous Oscars on a lesser movie a year or two after someone gets robbed. Not that this is the case with Million Dollar Baby, but the Oscars are a cheap tactic used to promote the movie industry by the movie industy. I trust the results about as much as I trust the government.

Judge Pen
03-03-2005, 12:08 PM
The Oscars are fixed. Hollywood insiders talk about it all the time. They are notorious for awarding posthumous Oscars on a lesser movie a year or two after someone gets robbed. Not that this is the case with Million Dollar Baby, but the Oscars are a cheap tactic used to promote the movie industry by the movie industy. I trust the results about as much as I trust the government.

I agree for the most part, but there was no doubt that Jamie Foxx earned it this year for Ray. I felt like Morgan Freeman's oscar was make-up for past wrongs, but if anyone needs to have an oscar it's martin Scorscesse. They could have done that this year, but didn't. Makes you wonder.