PDA

View Full Version : Overhead squat

Pork Chop
02-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Okay the squatting with no rack thread got me thinking about Overhead Squats.
So i went out and found some stuff to read: http://danjohn.org/overhead.html

Currently I have a problem with my squat form.
It doesn't seem to be getting any better.
The weight I can do easily is the only stuff I can do with good form.

I'm wondering; if I'm already doing weight that's pretty easy for me; why not just do overhead squats?

I think they may be better for me in the long run, as they keep your whole body connected.

My routine would look like:
Overhead squats
sumo deadlifts
pull/chin ups
dumbell bench

Also, my kettlebells are in the mail, so I'll be adding those exercises in soon as well (just gotta figure out where to add 'em).

Any comments or advice on overhead squats, or how to fit kettlebells into my routine?

Thanks in advance

fa_jing
02-03-2005, 11:59 AM
Just do it ;)

Pork Chop
02-03-2005, 12:03 PM
When I made this thread, I wrote an email to Dan John from that site; pretty much asking the same thing.
He already wrote back; and apparently it's not a bad idea.

I'll give it a shot tonite and report results back on my blog.

Thanks for the reply btw, fa_jing; I was gettin nervous watching this thread plummet with like 2 reads. lol

Chief Fox
02-03-2005, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't eliminate traditional squats from your routine. I like how overheads keep your body connected as well but you can push a lot more weight with traditional squats. Wich equals more strength and more power. I'm really interested in this topic. I'm looking forward to your report.

Ford Prefect
02-04-2005, 06:38 AM
I tend to agree with Chief. You won't be able to do nearly as much weight with overhead squats as you can with regular ones. Have you ever tried box squatting?

Ford Prefect
02-04-2005, 06:39 AM
BTW, they are a great exercise. I do them myself. I just feel they don't stimulate the legs enough.

Pork Chop
02-04-2005, 08:47 AM
Ok i did 'em last night.

Could only do 4 or 5 reps with 95 pounds (tiring holding it over your head & even getting it up there); but it was like medicine for my squat.
All of a sudden i had balance going all the way down, and my torso was basically upright at the very bottom and all the way back up.

I can do pretty good form on standard back squats with 135, but this was obviously more difficult.

I did still feel it in my legs, where as with 135 I usually don't.
Plus, I really felt it in my core as well.

I did 6 sets in all and it was the only exercise I did.

I'm going to try front squats as well, which may work better because I'll be able to push more weight.

I think I'll settle on the one that lets me have the best form with the most weight; form being the priority. if my legs have too easy a time, I'll add a couple sets of lunges per leg.

BTW- got my kettlebells last night :D I can barely even move the 2 pooder. The 1 pooder feels more like a 60 to 80 pound dumbell than a 35.