PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for hip strengthening?

littlelaugh
02-04-2005, 09:54 AM
I was born with very loose hips. One of them has been bothering me lately. No pain, but lots of popping noise and weakness. I do one exercise to strengthen them (leaning forward, hands to wall, swing one leg back, bring to original position, repeat), but was wondering if anyone had any other ideas?

Thanks,

Laugh

fa_jing
02-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Try the wall swings but to the side with the base foot pivoted away like a side kick.

Also, work on side splits.

Also, deep horse stance.

Also, deep squats with weight

littlelaugh
02-04-2005, 04:26 PM
Thank you fa_jing. I have been working on horse stance quite a bit lately. I will definitely try the wall swings.

Laugh

Becca
02-05-2005, 06:37 AM
I stumbled on a newish way to strengthen hip flexors. It's called the weighted cleaise (sp?). Hurts like hell but works very well and results start showing very quickly.

How it is done:

A cleaise is a type of squat, but feet are pointed toe out and feet are further apart, similar to horse stance at the bottom. Use a single hand weight holding it by one end with both hands. Dangle the weight between your knees and keep back strait. It is recomended you start with no more than 10 lbs the first time, doing 3 sets of 15 reps.

Makes you glutes burn very quickly. the next day your entier inner leg from groin to ankle will be very tender, but you will recover with only a bit of stretching and a short jog. It took me only 3 weeks to work up from 10 lb weights to 40ers.

littlelaugh
02-05-2005, 08:28 AM
Thank you for your input, Becca. Sounds kind of like a 2nd Grande Plie with weights?

Cheers,

Laugh

Jhapa
02-05-2005, 10:24 AM
http://www.hydroxycut.com/WOMEN/WORKOUT/EXERCISES/BUTT/butt_single_dbell_squats.shtml

make sure to keep your back straight as possible.

littlelaugh
02-06-2005, 08:23 AM
Excellent, Jhapa. Thanks :)

IronMonkey
02-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Excellent site Jhapa! This can help me as well. I just found out that whenever I sleep for 8 hrs, I burn almost 450 calories, wow :)

Jhapa
02-06-2005, 07:17 PM
that's good news, the more i sleep, more calories i burn. i usually don't get more than 6 hours of sleep.