PDA

View Full Version : Moses Powell - RIP

tug
02-04-2005, 11:23 AM
"A memorial service for Moses Powell, a martial artist whose accomplishments included training actor Wesley Snipes for his role in the 'Blade' movies, will be held at 2pm tomorrow at the Masjid Kalipah, Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn.

Powell, 64, creator of the Sanuces Ryu Jujitsu school, died Jan. 22nd.

Powell instructed agents of the US Drug Enforcement Administration, the Secret Service, and the FBI in martial arts techniques. He is a member of the Black Belt hall of fame and the World Karate hall of fame.

A student of the late grandmaster Florendo (Dr. V) Vistacion and a 10th degree black belt, Powell studied and taught martial arts for more than 45 years, many of them in Brooklyn.

He was the first martial artist to conduct a demonstration before the United States."

Has anyone heard of this guy? I find it slightly distressing that he had such a large body of work and I never knew of him. Strange, though that I have heard of "Dr. V", but not Powell.

EDIT - This was taken from an article in the paper, these are not my words.

mickey
02-04-2005, 06:33 PM
WTF????!!!!

I can't believe that he is gone. What was the cause?

This guy was one tough dude. He did a series of videos for ESPY that only showed what I believe to be a snippet of his knowledge. That series is worth having. I have seen underground tapes featuring him-- he was no joke.

I have also heard some other things about his ability that I will not repeat here or on any forum.

He was also featured in the documentary The Warrior Within.

This realy sucks.

mickey

Stranger
02-04-2005, 07:24 PM
Yeah, he is pretty well known.